Extend Fitz NOW

jgb

I get that.

Give Petty a legitimate chance next year or throw some money at Cousins.

Signing Fitz long term will set the Jets back 5 years.

Unlike most, I actually think you usually know what you are talking about football wise.

But, I totally disagree with you here.  There is no reason Fitz can't play at a high level for 3 more years given his age, a good QB can easily last to 35, 36.  As he has gotten comfortable with the offense, he and it have improved.  Furthermore, you and I both know playing QB isn't even half physical, it's controlling the huddle, reading what's going on, and gaining respect of your team mates.  The Jets O is older, it is built to be good now.  There are no major starters 27 or younger.  You think that putting a 23 year old who has never taken a snap into that huddle is a recipe for success?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God, you are dumber than a door nail.

Be nice. 

And.... he's not really wrong.  Petty has never started an NFL game or played in an NFL style offense.  I like the draft pick, but you have someone playing at a near (not at, but near) Pro Bowl level in an offense he knows well, and a guy who owns that huddle.  You don't throw that away for someone who has done nothing. 

Fitz turned the Jets franchise around?

Did he win a division title? AFC Championship game? A Super Bowl!?

He barely beat the Pats JV squad.

I'm with you, reward the guy big time for accomplishing absolutely nothing.

Christ you are a wretched soul. For almost 10 years, between the old JI board and now this one, you have pulled crap like this. You were probably the little kid at the parties that used to tell the other kids that the magic show was fake. 

Fitzpatrick has put together one of the 5 best statistical seasons for a Jets QB in history. Granted, that is not saying much, but after years of Clemens, a gimpy Favre, Sanchez and Geno, it's a refreshing experience. 

I get that.

Give Petty a legitimate chance next year or throw some money at Cousins.

Signing Fitz long term will set the Jets back 5 years.

Cousins? Lol, yes, I'm sure that Washington is letting him walk out the door so that RG3 can start next year. 

Christ you are a wretched soul. For almost 10 years, between the old JI board and now this one, you have pulled crap like this. You were probably the little kid at the parties that used to tell the other kids that the magic show was fake. 

Fitzpatrick has put together one of the 5 best statistical seasons for a Jets QB in history. Granted, that is not saying much, but after years of Clemens, a gimpy Favre, Sanchez and Geno, it's a refreshing experience. 

He's an agitator just looking for attention.  He doesn't believe half of what he writes but loves getting a response.  Pathetic but true.

He's an agitator just looking for attention.  He doesn't believe half of what he writes but loves getting a response.  Pathetic but true.

which is why you should just ignore the posts that irritate you. It's his shtick, just like RAS 1.2, be above it and don't waste your time on it. 

Unlike most, I actually think you usually know what you are talking about football wise.

But, I totally disagree with you here.  There is no reason Fitz can't play at a high level for 3 more years given his age, a good QB can easily last to 35, 36.  As he has gotten comfortable with the offense, he and it have improved.  Furthermore, you and I both know playing QB isn't even half physical, it's controlling the huddle, reading what's going on, and gaining respect of your team mates.  The Jets O is older, it is built to be good now.  There are no major starters 27 or younger.  You think that putting a 23 year old who has never taken a snap into that huddle is a recipe for success?

Thank you, opinions are what message boards are all about.

You made some great points above.

Be nice to see other Jets fans doing the same rather than crying to the mods about some poster who should be banned because they don't want read the truth.

Thank you, opinions are what message boards are all about.

You made some great points above.

Be nice to see other Jets fans doing the same rather than crying to the mods about some poster who should be banned because they don't want read the truth.

your football acumen results in your tolerance. it's just that your MANNER IN PRESENTING the truth doesn't always have to be with a smarmy sarcastic kick in the nuts retort (even though I find your Oscar the Grouch shtick funny and engaging Internet reading)

your football acumen results in your tolerance. it's just that your MANNER IN PRESENTING the truth doesn't always have to be with a smarmy sarcastic kick in the nuts retort (even though I find your Oscar the Grouch shtick funny and engaging Internet reading)

Damn Gas, you nailed it.

It's all about the presentation, some like, others don't.

Damn Gas, you nailed it.

It's all about the presentation, some like, others don't.

Your presentation is sublime and almost artful. Your tenancy to call others morons is despicable. We are Jets fans. Calling others names is our territory, Bub.

Your presentation is sublime and almost artful. Your tenancy to call others morons is despicable. We are Jets fans. Calling others names is our territory, Bub.

1) I have never called any Jets fan a moron, and

I will never do that.

2) I respect your "territory", but it is still a public message board on the Internet.

It's all about opinions.

Nobody is right, and nobody is wrong.

1) I have never called any Jets fan a moron, and

I will never do that.

2) I respect your "territory", but it is still a public message board on the Internet.

It's all about opinions.

Nobody is right, and nobody is wrong.

"God, you are dumber than a door nail."

"Congrats, you are the dumbest poster on the board."

Just in this thread alone.

• 7 months later...
On December 27, 2015 at 6:16 PM, jgb said:

Send a message. Team guys who turn franchises around get rewarded here. Some desperate owner WILL bid Fitz up if we let it go there. Right now the love at an all time high: on both sides. Get a deal done ASAP.

Yeah, major concern that, some other owner bidding Fitz up. Guy didn't get a single offer. Only team that bid him up was the Jets. 

10 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, major concern that, some other owner bidding Fitz up. Guy didn't get a single offer. Only team that bid him up was the Jets. 

Jets bid him up from original offer. you were so completely wrong (that jets would REDUCE their offer in some e-tough guy negotiation tactic). If this is best post of mine you can necro in a petty gotcha game, you just lost haha. Sad!

Let me give you an example: if I took a wrong turn, you got on the wrong bus. Fitzpatrick, conquering hero, best Jets QB since Namath is back. And TERRIBLE moronic, assinine, inexcusable, junk heap GENO is DONE. Feels great (to fans who understand football).

38 minutes ago, jgb said:

Jets bid him up from original offer. you were so completely wrong (that jets would REDUCE their offer in some e-tough guy negotiation tactic). If this is best post of mine you can necro in a petty gotcha game, you just lost haha. Sad!

Let me give you an example: if I took a wrong turn, you got on the wrong bus. Fitzpatrick, conquering hero, best Jets QB since Namath is back. And TERRIBLE moronic, assinine, inexcusable, junk heap GENO is DONE. Feels great (to fans who understand football).

Another guy, always with the strawmen. I never said the Jets would reduce their offer, only suggested they should. I also, by the way, consistently said that Fitz would be back. But keep putting words in my keyboard, it's the only way you ever get an imaginary leg up  

Meanwhile you, however, said another owner absolutely WOULD bid up Fitz....  who was still a free agent on training camp eve, without a single confirmed offer.  

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Another guy, always with the strawmen. I never said the Jets would reduce their offer, only suggested they should. I also, by the way, consistently said that Fitz would be back. But keep putting words in my keyboard, it's the only way you ever get an imaginary leg up  

Meanwhile you, however, said another owner absolutely WOULD bid up Fitz....  who was still a free agent on training camp eve, without a single confirmed offer.  

and yet proved that he did, in fact, have leverage to the tune of 12m, while you and others said he had none. there was a lot of people wrong on this one. consider yourself one of them

8 minutes ago, ylekram said:

and yet proved that he did, in fact, have leverage to the tune of 12m, while you and others said he had none. there was a lot of people wrong on this one. consider yourself one of them

Whatever. I like Maccagnan, think he's made some really good moves, but on this one I think he caved when he 100% didn't have to. Him caving doesn't change my firm opinion that he shouldn't've. Now I have to hope Fitz is worth it. 

But at least he didn't pay retail last December. I have that to hold onto. 

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Whatever. I like Maccagnan, think he's made some really good moves, but on this one I think he caved when he 100% didn't have to. Him caving doesn't change my firm opinion that he shouldn't've. Now I have to hope Fitz is worth it. 

look slats, I still consider you one of the better, intelligent posters on this board. nothing has changed in that respect. but when you say that Fitzpatrick didn't have any leverage and that the jets were not uncomfortable starting geno, well you were wrong. don't say that mac caved. if fitz had caved to the offered contract, you would have said it was because mac had the leverage and wasn't afraid to start geno.. but that's not what happened. mac caved because of fitzpatricks leverage(fear of starting geno smith). you were wrong on both accounts. just admit this and lets move on. and lol at those applauding mac for setting a deadline. some deadline. after 6 months of negotiating, mac tells fitz he will offer the contract that fitz wants only if he signs it by 7pm

18 minutes ago, ylekram said:

look slats, I still consider you one of the better, intelligent posters on this board. nothing has changed in that respect. but when you say that Fitzpatrick didn't have any leverage and that the jets were not uncomfortable starting geno, well you were wrong. don't say that mac caved. if fitz had caved to the offered contract, you would have said it was because mac had the leverage and wasn't afraid to start geno.. but that's not what happened. mac caved because of fitzpatricks leverage(fear of starting geno smith). you were wrong on both accounts. just admit this and lets move on. and lol at those applauding mac for setting a deadline. some deadline. after 6 months of negotiating, mac tells fitz he will offer the contract that fitz wants only if he signs it by 7pm

Over the last few months, I've spoken about the public relations issues involving starting Fitzpatrick vs. Geno. That if the team goes 7-9 with Geno Smith, fans will absolutely be losing their minds and screaming their heads off about how it's all because of Geno, and Maccagnan was an idiot for not signing Fitz. However, if the team goes 6-10 with Fitz, there will be a general ho-hum about the difficulty of schedule, and integration of rookies, etc., and it will pretty much just be shrugged off. That is, largely, what I consider any "leverage" Fitz might've had to be. Job security, not based on performance on the field, but public perception. Which I'm not happy about. Not that I have any love -or even like- for Geno Smith, but that I don't believe Fitz brings $12M worth of on the field improvement over Geno. 

It continues to be my opinion that Mac caved. I think Fitz would've signed the 3/24 if he held his ground. Bowles naming Fitz the starter as soon as he signed was a bad play on his part and hurt the team's position, but in the end Fitz had no other suitors other than the NY Jets, and the Jets were offering more than the only other rumored offer (Denver, 1/$7M). Coming up to $12M, IMHO, was running scared on their part. 

The reason Macc took so long to sign Fitzpatrick was because of the Mo Wilk franchise tag.  Its the same reason Darron Lee was not signed until after Mo' s deal was done.  Both the Jets and Fitz seemed to agree on the 12mil guaranteed.  The Jets wanted additional years added to the deal to spread out the cap hit, Fitz wanted the 12mil in year one.  

Even after the Mo Wilk deal, the Jets did not have the cap room to pay Fitz 12mil guaranteed year one.  That's the reason for the phantom 2nd year for the Fitz contract.   

I don't think either side necessarily caved, it was just business under today's NFL salary cap.......JMO 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Keep on digging. When you get all the way to Singapore I'll buy you a beer to cry in.

4 hours ago, ylekram said:

I'd say control has more bearing that leverage. I mean obviously they wanted him back, but beyond that - i don't think it was about leverage (in negotiations) of Geno playing, as much as Macc wanted control. As long as Fitz is under contract, this front office has complete control over any outcome. They can bench/play whomever whenever regardless of how things play out. Like many have pointed out, if Fitz faceplants, they can control the blowback and how it plays out. They hold all the cards now. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Keep on digging. When you get all the way to Singapore I'll buy you a beer to cry in.

to "cry in"? It was almost a strong retort. Then you had to throw that in... You continue to operate in a less than tasteful manner. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

Over the last few months, I've spoken about the public relations issues involving starting Fitzpatrick vs. Geno. That if the team goes 7-9 with Geno Smith, fans will absolutely be losing their minds and screaming their heads off about how it's all because of Geno, and Maccagnan was an idiot for not signing Fitz. However, if the team goes 6-10 with Fitz, there will be a general ho-hum about the difficulty of schedule, and integration of rookies, etc., and it will pretty much just be shrugged off. That is, largely, what I consider any "leverage" Fitz might've had to be. Job security, not based on performance on the field, but public perception. Which I'm not happy about. Not that I have any love -or even like- for Geno Smith, but that I don't believe Fitz brings $12M worth of on the field improvement over Geno. 

It continues to be my opinion that Mac caved. I think Fitz would've signed the 3/24 if he held his ground. Bowles naming Fitz the starter as soon as he signed was a bad play on his part and hurt the team's position, but in the end Fitz had no other suitors other than the NY Jets, and the Jets were offering more than the only other rumored offer (Denver, 1/$7M). Coming up to $12M, IMHO, was running scared on their part. 

Hey Slats you were in the camp complaining about the tough schedule so if this football team is not good enough to win with this so called tough schedule it wont only be about the QB I hope you know that .

Also it didn't matter what other teams thought and it didn't matter that Bowles made the Fitz starter comments. The Jets wanted this and just about evey team in the NFL knew Fitz was the right fit here. There are numerous reasons why Fitz was not made offers by other teams most having to do with age, some having to do with the combination of age and having to learn a new system and others having to do with the fact some teams were just outright rebuilding ... In all those circumstances Fitz was not a good answer. This was not just about the player and pretty much everyone knew Fitz would be coming here in the 10 - 12 mil range long before these negotiations started.

Fitz is going to be a good QB for this team for the next couple of years while Petty and Hack develop and its nice to have that luxury for once. With the added check downs and emerging talent we have signed I think Fitz will continue to improve and do better than last year. For various reasons Fitz didn't really start playing at a high level until mid season and at that point most here wanted Fitz extended and were talking bigger numbers in some cases than Fitz actually got yet somehow that all changed when both the team and Fitz had a subpar game vs Buffalo. Bad games happen and they happen to HOF fame QB's just as much as they happen to good or even mediocre QB's There's a reason why a guy like Peyton Manning had only 1 SB win before going to the Broncos and he had plenty of terrible Playoff games. A lot of things have to come together to win a SB and sometimes its a timing issue and when teams get hot down the stretch. Sometimes you run into an elite defense and no matter who your QB is he and the team more often than not get shut down.

Hopefully this year we have that elite defense and things go our way because this team is good enough to win a SB. we have very few weaknesses and even though people complain about the Oline we still ran the ball well last year when our backs were healthy and having a QB who gets rid of the ball quick helped in pass protection no reason to expect that does not Improve with the major additions to our back field and the young receivers we added to compete. This team WILL contend for a SB this year I'm sure of it.

Archived