In defense of Bellichick

JoJoTownsell1

Honestly, I don't mind the decision (if it really was his decision and not a flub by Slater). If you watched the game, and everyone here did, the Pats failed to register a TD without the benefit of a fumble by Fitz and 2 4th down conversions on the last drive.  So basically, Bill watched a game in which his offense couldn't drive the length of the field and score a TD. So he felt that it was better to force Fitz to go 80 yards. Because even if Fitz ges 60 yards and the Jets settle for a FG, Brady now has 4 downs to get a 1st until he is in FG range for Gostkowski. 

I know it's Brady, but Brady wasn't Brady today because he had no Oline and no WRs. That wasn't going to magically change in OT. Obviously, the decision looks awful now, but if the Jets had gone 3 and out and Quigly pulls a Quigly, the Pats are practically in FG already with the world's best FG kicker. The only mitigating factor was that the Pats defense is also in bad shape and they were facing Fitzmagic.

Honestly, I don't mind the decision (if it really was his decision and not a flub by Slater). If you watched the game, and everyone here did, the Pats failed to register a TD without the benefit of a fumble by Fitz and 2 4th down conversions on the last drive.  So basically, Bill watched a game in which his offense couldn't drive the length of the field and score a TD. So he felt that it was better to force Fitz to go 80 yards. Because even if Fitz ges 60 yards and the Jets settle for a FG, Brady now has 4 downs to get a 1st until he is in FG range for Gostkowski. 

I know it's Brady, but Brady wasn't Brady today because he had no Oline and no WRs. That wasn't going to magically change in OT. Obviously, the decision looks awful now, but if the Jets had gone 3 and out and Quigly pulls a Quigly, the Pats are practically in FG already with the world's best FG kicker. The only mitigating factor was that the Pats defense is also in bad shape and they were facing Fitzmagic.

with all due respect, bullsh*t.

He has Brady and Gronk. A lot of coaches have taken the ball to start overtime with a hell of a lot less. You don't give away the ball with the chance that you might lose the game without getting the ball back.

You definitely explained the logic of what Bellichek was thinking, and he was thinking that. But it was the wrong decision. You have a HOF QB, you put the ball in his hands. This is on par with his 4th an 2 decision against the Colts years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You definitely explained the logic of what Bellichek was thinking, and he was thinking that. But it was the wrong decision. You have a HOF QB, you put the ball in his hands. This is on par with his 4th an 2 decision against the Colts years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, if Fitz goes 3 and out, he looks like a genius.

Again, if Fitz goes 3 and out, he looks like a genius.

Also looks pretty smart if Jets kick a FG then he knows he needs TD to win. He probably figured Jets TD was very unlikely and thus worth the gamble. Probably makes sense mathematically.

Also looks pretty smart if Jets kick a FG then he knows he needs TD to win. He probably figured Jets TD was very unlikely and thus worth the gamble. Probably makes sense mathematically.

That's the point. If Jets go 60 yards and get a FG, he now gives Brady the ball knowing he has 4 downs to get a 1st down until they are in FG range. He underestimated Fitz and/or overestimated his defense. 

This is a decision he probably doesn't make if he has Edelman/Amendola and a healthy Oline. 

That's the point. If Jets go 60 yards and get a FG, he now gives Brady the ball knowing he has 4 downs to get a 1st down until they are in FG range. He underestimated Fitz and/or overestimated his defense. 

This is a decision he probably doesn't make if he has Edelman/Amendola and a healthy Oline. 

Thanks for giving a pat fan credit for my post :)

Why? He didn't draft Brady. And without Ol' Tom, Belicheck isn't anything to write home about.

the timeout that he called with about 4 minutes left in the fourth was pretty genius, he noticed that Harris was covering a WR the last play and in this setup had noticed that Gronk was lined up outside against Revis, called the TO To move Gronk inside the sloton4th down, the rest is history. Looked pretty smart there to me. 

the timeout that he called with about 4 minutes left in the fourth was pretty genius, he noticed that Harris was covering a WR the last play and in this setup had noticed that Gronk was lined up outside against Revis, called the TO To move Gronk inside the sloton4th down, the rest is history. Looked pretty smart there to me. 

When all things align, the moonlight shines just right..and it shines down on a dog's ass sometimes.

Any other coach does this and they would be roasted over the coals, especially after the outcome. Not the all-knowing arrogant genius Bellicheat though. I just can't understand how anybody can defend such an atrocious decision in OT when you have HOF QB on the sidelines that just drove his team for a TD 2 minutes prior.

The best part of the whole coin toss thing was Cromartie's face.

Did anyone see how confused he looked when the Pats decided to kick? He didn't know what to do or say - it was really funny.

I missed it! I was too confused by what was happening with the morons from that Pats. I gotta catch on youtube or something. Thanks for the heads up.

I agree with OP, Jets offense had struggled its previous few drives.  Meanwhile Brady had struggled to produce a TD drive all day without Edelman/Amendola.  Belichick said "let it ride" and gambled that his defense would force a punt so all Brady would need is a FG.  He gambled wrong but I still think he played the odds.

Idiot talking heads will question the decision instead of just giving Fitz and the Jets offense it's due for answering the bell and producing a TD drive when it mattered most. 

I can definitely see the logic of kicking if I was NE, but too many ways to lose and not enough advantage to actually do it like they did.. Now if there was a 30 mile wind like the other time they did it, that would be different.

But then the Jets would have chosen to receive the kick with the wind at their advantage. Choosing to kick was a stupid move regardless of the weather.

It was a bad decision by Belidick through and through. Why the hell would you want the Jets to have the ball first in OT, when Brandon Marshall had been taking Ryan Logan to school, and Fitzpatrick had been hot all game? Even if the Jets had kicked a FG, there was no guarantee that the Pats would have tied it. Brady had been getting a good amount of abuse all game, and their running game was $hit. 

Face it, it was a stupid call

Archived