Fitz is only 33

long suffering jets fan

Brady is 38 and Peyton 39.  Fitz has got some good years left, who says he can't be with the Jets another 5-6 years?  A lot of folks act like he's a short term solution, perhaps because he looks older.  My feeling is he can be a serviceable starter, or backup for years.  Sure would give us a lot of flexibility to find our franchise QB, let them develop and know that we have a solid backup if we swing and miss.

thoughts?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would absolutly love to keep fitz as our qb for the next few years while we develop petty, draft rookies until we find our franchise QB. Much rather pay fitz then throw a chunk load at a declining brees. Save money, build our oline, develop petty and whoever else. Fitz is a great veteran stop gap on this team. Never in million years would I thougjt i say that. But he brings great leadership and plays with heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would absolutly love to keep fitz as our qb for the next few years while we develop petty, draft rookies until we find our franchise QB. Much rather pay fitz then throw a chunk load at a declining brees. Save money, build our oline, develop petty and whoever else. Fitz is a great veteran stop gap on this team. Never in million years would I thougjt i say that. But he brings great leadership and plays with heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and your not gonna find a smarter QB, rarely does he beat himself, unlike so many Jets QBs who have broken our hearts throughout the years.

Brady is 38 and Peyton 39.  Fitz has got some good years left, who says he can't be with the Jets another 5-6 years?  A lot of folks act like he's a short term solution, perhaps because he looks older.  My feeling is he can be a serviceable starter, or backup for years.  Sure would give us a lot of flexibility to find our franchise QB, let them develop and know that we have a solid backup if we swing and miss.

thoughts?

so pretty much 2000-2002.

When Vinny began to break down in game 10 in 2000 and we all clamored for Penny to to start AND FINALLY GOT TO SEE#10 start and lead us to our last AFC Eastern Division Championship 3 years later after the coaching staff relented.

Sure, why not.

thoughts?

Its more that he's been in the league for more than a decade and his stats aren't good. His age isn't all that big a factor.

Its more that he's been in the league for more than a decade and his stats aren't good. His age isn't all that big a factor.

It's kind of like seeing a pitcher on a lousy team that is victimized by a losing record...those who keenly look beyond the surface and beyond the numbersbrecognize the guy can play some damn good football. Playing on horrible teams with a different coach every year can sort of mess up those stats a bit. He is finally on a decent team, and his "stats" are through the roof.

seems he's improving with age

he also seems to improve with 2 Stud WRs to aide him - DeAndre Hopkins & AJ in Houston 2014

Marsh & Deck in 2015.

i love Fitzy, but I'm not convinced he is worth anything more than 3 years at $12M - 100% guaranteed. He is excelling as a veteran QB who won't give the sacred cow away and KNOWS how to utilize the tools/weapons around in the offense that is catered to his strengths and he is already familiar with. He is a gamer, but not a PHYSICALLY TALENTED QB that deserves Top QB money and could carry Cleveland's 2015 offensive cast on his back to the same results.

he also seems to improve with 2 Stud WRs to aide him - DeAndre Hopkins & AJ in Houston 2014

Marsh & Deck in 2015.

i love Fitzy, but I'm not convinced he is worth anything more than 3 years at $12M - 100% guaranteed. He is excelling as a veteran QB who won't give the sacred cow away and KNOWS how to utilize the tools/weapons around in the offense that is catered to his strengths and he is already familiar with. He is a gamer, but not a PHYSICALLY TALENTED QB that deserves Top QB money and could carry Cleveland's 2015 offensive cast on his back to the same results.

If you can sign fitz for 3 years at 4 mill per you deserve front office executive of the year

For most of the last 10-15 years we have been clamoring for a QB who doesn't suck.  Just give us a QB who is above league average we all said.  So now we have one and half of you can't wait to get rid of him or nickel and dime him on the re-up?  Yep...sounds about right.

thoughts?

The question should not be how many good years does Fitz have left, it should be how many good years do Marshall and Decker have left.  Having those two makes the QB job a lot easier...without them Fitz is no better than Matt Cassel.

The question should not be how many good years does Fitz have left, it should be how many good years do Marshall and Decker have left.  Having those two makes the QB job a lot easier...without them Fitz is no better than Matt Cassel.

BS....If Marshall alone can make a QB great, why on earth was he had for a late rounder, and why has he NEVER been to the playoffs...I love Marshall, but Fitz is a big reason why he is having such a good year and Decker is performing big time as well. If what you say is true, why not just sign Cassel and save some big money? Well, likely because it is both an asinine and preposterous assertion.

OK makes more sense. sorry for the confusion. still think we get him cheaper if we extend now

I just honestly feel it would be diminishing returns.  

Its like when we re-signed Vinny after the ANAMOLY of '98. Brought in as a veteran back-up to help guide the young pup #4 Glenn Foley. He takes over and we extend him for big money. He only got worse and older with each passing year and kept Penny benched a year longer than he should have been, IMO.

THE ONLY caveat why I could slightly defend the Vinny extension was BECAUSE HE WAS A PHYSICALLY GIFTED QB with UNREAL ARM ability. Fitzy, BLESS HIS HEART, is a sub-armed former 7th round Div 1AA Ivy League QB who survived as a back-up and HAD his shot for 3 years in Buffalo to prove otherwise. 

Its like when we re-signed Vinny after the ANAMOLY of '98. Brought in as a veteran back-up to help guide the young pup #4 Glenn Foley. He takes over and we extend him for big money. He only got worse and older with each passing year and kept Penny benched a year longer than he should have been, IMO.

THE ONLY caveat why I could slightly defend the Vinny extension was BECAUSE HE WAS A PHYSICALLY GIFTED QB with UNREAL ARM ability. Fitzy, BLESS HIS HEART, is a sub-armed former 7th round Div 1AA Ivy League QB who survived as a back-up and HAD his shot for 3 years in Buffalo to prove otherwise. 

Well Vinny tore an Achilles. Who knows what could've been... my most heartbreaking Jets moment.

He's having the best season his career now that he's actually on a good team.  The fact that he played for Harvard and some awful NFL teams is irrelevant now.  Ben Roethlisberger played at Miami (OH).  

Yes, we'll likely get diminishing returns, because he's playing the best ball of his career right now.  Hard to go up from that.  But even Fitz with 80 % of the production of this year will win us a lot of games.  Especially as the rest of the roster, theoretically, continues to improve under Macc & Bowles.  In other words, right now he's playing like a top 10-12 QB.  Even if he "only" plays like a top 15-18 type guy the rest of his career while we look for a franchise guy, I'll take that in a heartbeat.  

Well Vinny tore an Achilles. Who knows what could've been... my most heartbreaking Jets moment.

correct, happens when you sign an old guy. 

But you get my point in terms of WHY I have my reservations in signing Fitzy in the way you described earlier.  Perhaps I'm just more risk averse of tying up $$$ in an overachieving asset that will ONLY decline with each passing season IF THE TALENT IS NOT MAINTINED AT THE HIGH LEVEL to which is, IMO, the real undrlying factor that compliments his limited skill set. 

He's having the best season his career now that he's actually on a good team.  The fact that he played for Harvard and some awful NFL teams is irrelevant now.  Ben Roethlisberger played at Miami (OH).  

Yes, we'll likely get diminishing returns, because he's playing the best ball of his career right now.  Hard to go up from that.  But even Fitz with 80 % of the production of this year will win us a lot of games.  Especially as the rest of the roster, theoretically, continues to improve under Macc & Bowles.

They're just establishing their next defense line of: "We overpaid based on one good year"

correct, happens when you sign an old guy. 

But you get my point in terms of WHY I have my reservations in signing Fitzy in the way you described earlier.  Perhaps I'm just more risk averse of tying up $$$ in an overachieving asset that will ONLY decline with each passing season IF THE TALENT IS NOT MAINTINED AT THE HIGH LEVEL to which is, IMO, the real undrlying factor that compliments his limited skill set. 

Yeah but you said we should sign him just not now. I contend his price can only increase with playoff success or once he hits FA. so if you are in favor of re-signing (which you said you were) why wait?

Yeah but you said we should sign him just not now. I contend his price can only increase with playoff success or once he hits FA. so if you are in favor of re-signing (which you said you were) why wait?

I think the confusion lay b/t us in that I do not believe he is worth ANYTHING  more than $4-5M backup to 31 other teams and he is worth no more than $12M/year to us as a Competent Savvy QB for NO more than 3 years. 

I thought I read from you, maybe it was another poster, that Fitzy is playing Top QB football and thus should be paid accordingly as such which would be in the $17-22M range; I find that notion absurd and do not believe he is worth breaking the bank in that manner. The Vinny extension has set that precedent for me. 

Not saying I'm right, but I guess we disagree.

2 Year Deal, reasonable market value, and heavy on additional performance incentives.

Been saying it all along.

Then Fitz will be signing elsewhere.  He's 33 with 5 kids.  He's not signing a two year deal after the season he's just had.

I think the confusion lay b/t us in that I do not believe he is worth ANYTHING  more than $4-5M backup to 31 other teams and he is worth no more than $12M/year to us as a Competent Savvy QB for NO more than 3 years. 

I thought I read from you, maybe it was another poster, that Fitzy is playing Top QB football and thus should be paid accordingly as such which would be in the $17-22M range; I find that notion absurd and do not believe he is worth breaking the bank in that manner. The Vinny extension has set that precedent for me. 

Not saying I'm right, but I guess we disagree.

sanchez makes $4.5M a year. Henne makes $4M a year. Come on now.

Archived