Yankees trade for Reds closer Aroldis Chapman

Morrissey

Chapman is a free agent after 2016. If the Yankees aren't in a playoff run I could see them dealing Chapman (only if there is no more a threat of suspension) and getting back a better prospect then what they just traded or getting a first round pick if he signs elsewhere. I like the possibilities of this. Yankees got him somewhat on the cheap because of this report of domestic violence. And if the suspenbsion is lengthy his free agency is pushed back a season.

He's definitely getting suspended at some point. That said, it gives the Yankees a strong bullpen. Their rotation and lineup leave a lot to be desired, but they had to do something this offseason.

Agree.  Thing is, with that bullpen, they can alternate guys so there is no reason for anyone to be really over used, and you can literally make some games a 5-6 inning game.  If they could get to the post season, that bullpen can really come into play. 

But.. the lineup.  Can you get that much out of Tex and Arod again?  Can they stay healthy?  Can the starters stay healthy.  ish?

Think about this, if he's suspended for the first 50 games this upcoming season he would then have 1 1/2 seasons left of control. We if we chose to, could get a couple of really good prospects.

That's odd, I'm almost rooting for a 50 game suspension.  I don't know what that says about me, I guess I'm a dick.

What did he do exactly, I don't even know. 

While this may appear to be a "win now" trade. Underneath, I don't think it is. Cashman bought WAY low on Chapman. He becomes a much more valuable asset once he no longer has a suspension hanging over his head. Lots of options.

flipping him at the trade deadline next summer is definitely an option that may happen but I think the Yankees end up keeping chapman as a 1-year rental

We don't have a great starting rotation.  Having crazy depth in the bullpen which we have now certainly mitigates that.

flipping him at the trade deadline next summer is definitely an option that may happen but I think the Yankees end up keeping chapman as a 1-year rental

We don't have a great starting rotation.  Having crazy depth in the bullpen which we have now certainly mitigates that.

so they let him walk and they receive a comp pick. A lot of options here.

so they let him walk and they receive a comp pick. A lot of options here.

They only receive a comp pick if they submit a qualifying offer. And maybe he agrees to that offer. 

If they do get the comp pick, then they would have received a comp pick for a 2013 first round draft pick (Jagielo) and other players. Unless Chapman takes them to the playoffs next year, difficult to say that is necessarily a net plus.

Most likely a trade occurs between now and July.

Archived