Richardson, Pryor, Enunwa, Winters, Williams, Decker,

Beerfish

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's an interesting case study.

Made some good moves, cleared a ton of cap space, got a ton of draft picks.  None panned out immediately, and he got fired along with a coach that he inherited, not one he hired.

No, his draft picks are starting to contribute, and the cap space he created was well used, and a new coach is doing a good job.

He's an interesting case study.

Made some good moves, cleared a ton of cap space, got a ton of draft picks.  None panned out immediately, and he got fired along with a coach that he inherited, not one he hired.

No, his draft picks are starting to contribute, and the cap space he created was well used, and a new coach is doing a good job.

His problem was that he was too methodical and couldn't make a decision quickly.  He also didn't know how to build a scouting program.  Finally, he panicked and abandoned his philosophy when trading for Harvin (too late too).

Most importantly, he let his philosophy get in the way of fielding a competent team; it was inexcusable that he let the Jets secondary get as bad as he did - and did nothing during the season to fix it.

Yeah, he did some good things - but he left too many holes and didn't inspire confidence. Maybe he didn't get a fair shake with Rex, but I think most will agree that Macc has done a better job with fewer draft picks; when we lost Amaro and had injuries at WR, he kept going out and found more; not stars, but kept filling the tank.

Of course, Macc had more money and he and his coach seem to be on the same page, but some will argue that he didn't pick Bowels, but 'agreed' with the choice.  Of course it is too early to see how the Macc/Bowels FO works in the long term, but things are looking good so far - let's hope it continues...

His 2 main mistakes that cost him, the 1st of which do in most GMs was a miss at QB in Geno. The other was not putting together any semblence of a secondary, and in a passing league in this day and age, that will be a fatal error as we saw that it was. But, as stated the 6 starters(Including the RT Breno) and 2 major role players, plus a few others like Reilly who has helped much on STs and some backing up at OLB, etc. He did some very good things there, probably well worth the 2 years we paid him. Mac at this point added to that and had the $ built up by Idzik. Obviously though Mac hit it out of the park with the Fitz and Marshall trades for a couple of songs as well as building the secondary from worst to a top unit. His drafting of our starting DT/DE(Williams) & OLB(Mauldin) and a QB of the future was very good as well.  Hopefully Mac can continue with a more normalized cap situation, but will have less holes to fill. He is fortunate with some stability at QB now to begin retooling/rebuilding our aged areas of OL, LB, etc.  

Idzik took way too much of the criticism.  Rex was the biggest problem on the team.

Idzik added some decent talent through free agency and got the salary cap in order.  His drafts were subpar (took too many risks on injury prone players).  Geno developing into a bust was the nail in the coffin.

His first move was to trade Revis. A homegrown HOF'er. Who won a ring with the Pats 2 years later. 

No matter what else he did that was the worst move ever 

Sorry, I think this was a smart move.  Revis wanted too much money and we were a team in a need of rebuilding and had cap issues.  He got great value for Revis.  The fact that he maybe should have picked differently given the extra 1st is another story.

Sometimes you have to make the trade even though you love the player.  Sorry to tell you, but this is a very likely option for Mo - doubt we can sign him at this point.

Sorry, I think this was a smart move.  Revis wanted too much money and we were a team in a need of rebuilding and had cap issues.  He got great value for Revis.  The fact that he maybe should have picked differently given the extra 1st is another story.

Sometimes you have to make the trade even though you love the player.  Sorry to tell you, but this is a very likely option for Mo - doubt we can sign him at this point.

they swapped Milliner for Revis which was not such great value. They could have taken Sheldon at 9 and been the same. As for Revis' money, I would ask "what is too much?" for a player that makes such a huge difference. 

There's an interesting dynamic when it comes to NFL salary cap management in that when you opt not to sign players and let entire position groups like the secondary go to hell, you accumulate cap space.  Funny how many people actually want to give credit for that. 

There's an interesting dynamic when it comes to NFL salary cap management in that when you opt not to sign players and let entire position groups like the secondary go to hell, you accumulate cap space.  Funny how many people actually want to give credit for that. 

The secondary only went to hell in hindsight through poor drafting.  In his two drafts with the Jets, Idzik invested heavily in the secondary using two first round picks (Milliner and Pryor) and a third round pick (McDougal).  I can only assume that Rex had a say/influence on these picks, but for various reasons, he was unable to develop any of these players.

I remember at his opening presser when Igzig was like "I am going to trade Revis, because I definitely want to, this is totes 100% my decision and no one elses"

it was widely reported at the time he told Woody he wouldn't accept the job unless he was allowed to trade Revis...Woody reluctantly agreed.

Idzik did not do a great job, but he was also shafted. He  saved money and put us in a position to go out and spend money this offseason. No way, he thought he would be fired otherwise he would have spent all that money for the 2014 season. He also had some good draft picks, but in the end he was responsible for:
1- Keeping Rex 1 year too long

2- Not drafting any of the stud WRs in last years draft. Enunway is nice, but he is no allen robinson/Landry etc... (forget about the guys taken in the 1st round)

3- He was too frugal and put the Jets in a position last year where they had ZERO chance to succeed. If you do that, you bring in a new head coach that is on board with losing and going for the number 1 pick (winston/marriota). By keeping Rex, he kept a guy that would do ANYTHING for a win despite that not being in the franchises best interest. 

they swapped Milliner for Revis which was not such great value. They could have taken Sheldon at 9 and been the same. As for Revis' money, I would ask "what is too much?" for a player that makes such a huge difference. 

Sorry, i was talking about the pick he got - I specifically said he didn't do anything with it; that was great value for a player who wanted a lot of money, was about to be a UFA, coming off of a major injury.  The fact that Idzik didn't draft well is another story.

As for the money, I wasn't talking about cash I was talking about Cap and we had a lot of holes to fill...

Many don't agree with the decision, but I think it was a good one.

The secondary only went to hell in hindsight through poor drafting.  In his two drafts with the Jets, Idzik invested heavily in the secondary using two first round picks (Milliner and Pryor) and a third round pick (McDougal).  I can only assume that Rex had a say/influence on these picks, but for various reasons, he was unable to develop any of these players.

Responding to above, Rex was using Pryor out of position like he currently is doing with Mario Williams asking Mario to drop into coverage too often. The excuse with Pryor was the problems at CB, but why not let Pryor develop at his natural Box Safety position like he is becoming very good at and let the CBs do their job even if they were subpar?.

In retrospect absolutely...BUT if Milner became a stud like a Josh Norman then Idzik looks smart.

Make no mistake, I think MAC has all the makings of a TOP GM.

Idzik did not do a great job, but he was also shafted. He  saved money and put us in a position to go out and spend money this offseason. No way, he thought he would be fired otherwise he would have spent all that money for the 2014 season. He also had some good draft picks, but in the end he was responsible for:
1- Keeping Rex 1 year too long

2- Not drafting any of the stud WRs in last years draft. Enunway is nice, but he is no allen robinson/Landry etc... (forget about the guys taken in the 1st round)

3- He was too frugal and put the Jets in a position last year where they had ZERO chance to succeed. If you do that, you bring in a new head coach that is on board with losing and going for the number 1 pick (winston/marriota). By keeping Rex, he kept a guy that would do ANYTHING for a win despite that not being in the franchises best interest. 

idzik wiffed on too many picks last year...what a shame when 12 picks could have set us up for years

Archived