Fitzmagic Speaks

Maxman

On whether the vibe is different knowing that this game has playoff implications…

I mean, we’ve kind of been in that mode for the last month or so. I thought we had a good day today. Today is kind of learning the plan, how we’re going to attack them and all that, but we just have to continue to work this week. It’s a positive locker room right now. There are good feelings in here, but we know we have a lot of work ahead of us.

On Coach Bowles saying that they shouldn’t change much since they have five straight wins…

We just try to put a ton of focus into each and every week and the opponent we’ve been playing and so that’s what we’re doing again this week and hopefully it works out.

On how you avoid making this game too big emotionally…

You try to use the last few as examples, maybe. You realize that it’s just another game that we’ve got to go out, especially as an offensive player, you have to be composed at all times. There’s so much on the mental side of the game that you have to be able to think through and you can’t be going a million miles an hour. We just have to continue to do that and stick with the plan we’ve been going with the last few weeks.

On whether he feels pressure heading into this game because of its ramifications…

All of them matter, so I don’t feel any more pressure in this one than I have the last few. That’s just kind of every game. Every game when I go out there, there’s a lot at stake and so I just approach it like that every week.

On going against a former team and whether he takes anything away from the game against Houston…

Not really. We can go through the whole history of all the former teams I’ve played and what happened and didn’t happen. This one, I look at the last game we played against Buffalo along with all the other film we have from this season on them just to get a feel for their defense and what we’re trying to do, some things that I can improve on from the last game, but not necessarily because I used to play there. Some of the players are similar, but a lot of them are different.

On how difficult the conditions can be in Buffalo…

They can be brutal when the wind gets going and it’s cold. It can be brutal conditions. You can check the weather report all week, but you never know what you’re going to get until five minutes before the game starts. So, that’s not something we can really worry about until we get there and see what happens.

On whether his experience playing in Buffalo will help with the weather…

I mean, maybe a little bit depending on how nasty the conditions are. If they get real bad, the experience doesn’t really help you because it’s miserable for everybody, but I’ve played plenty of games in that stadium.

On whether he was limited in practice today because his thumb was sore…

Yes, I didn’t participate in all the plays so I guess they had to put me on there, but nothing really to be concerned about.

On whether he appreciates the fact that Rex Ryan being the head coach adds another layer of drama…

I understand it. I was in Buffalo when he was here, so I guess I was involved in the story a little bit. I think we got that one out of the way the first time we played them and the story line for us is just to work hard all week long and hopefully we can get a win out of it.

On what it means to be in this situation with Chan Gailey…

It’s one of those things that I don’t know if we can really put too much thought into it before the game. We have to go and execute and do all the things we can and try to win it. After the game is over, maybe, that’s a better question if we win because I think it means a lot to both of us. There’s so much else that’s at stake for us that at this point it’s hard to even think about or try to put that into context yet.

On whether the meaning is unspoken between him and Gailey…

We won’t sit down by a cozy fire and roast marshmallows and talk about it before the game or after. I think that’s a good way to put it. I think it is unspoken. I think there’s definitely an understanding just with how we’ve been together and kind of knowing each other, I think it is a little bit unspoken, yes.

On how Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker complement each other…

Well, Brandon draws so much attention. I think that helps in terms of if a team is going to double one person, they’re going to double Brandon and I think that helps Eric. That being said, when Eric gets going, then it’s hard to double Brandon. I just think that the fact that they’re both experienced, smart players that can win one-on-one match ups. I think that’s why they complement each other so well, because you kind of have to pick and choose what you’re going to do and they’re both pretty dangerous.

On why he felt he made some poor decisions after the first game against Buffalo…

I don’t remember exactly what I said, but coming out of that game, I know there were some throws where I was making the throws or how I was making the throws, I just wasn’t pleased with the majority of my performance. That was just something I tried to evaluate after that game and work on the next few weeks and try to get better at and I think we’ve seen some progress and I just want to make sure I’m going out there and making the right decisions and making the right throw to the guys.

On whether he thinks Rex Ryan’s desire to win can impact the players’ performance…

I’ve never played for Rex, so I don’t really know the context of some of that. Just speaking to what we have here and what we do and Coach Bowles, we’ve been focusing each week on the opponent at hand and he just kind of lives in the present and that’s what we do. 

On if there was a specific point in the season where it clicked for him and Marshall…

It’s definitely been a process. We were actually talking about it today, the throw in the first New England game, kind of near the end zone that was kind of a back-shoulder throw to him that we didn’t end up completing, I think from that point on, we’ve had a much better feel and understanding of each other. I think just the way he plays, makes it so easy for me as a quarterback. His body language matches up with kind of the way I think it should be. We’ve had a decent connection all year, but I think after that play in particular, I think we really started gaining a better understanding of each other. That play, even though it wasn’t a great one because we didn’t connect, helped us build better chemistry.

On what it was about that particular play…

I think the way that I threw it, it just opened up more doors for discussions – where he wants that ball, it was kind of eye opening for me, just the pace of the ball, the location, a lot of different things on the timing. That just opened up the flood gates for a lot of discussion about it.

On what it means for a quarterback when he has that kind of chemistry with a receiver…

It’s great for a quarterback. I’m so comfortable kind of in every little route that he runs. I’m very comfortable in I can get into his head and he can get into mine, and so that’s very helpful as a quarterback when I can throw with a 100 percent confidence knowing where somebody is going to be, or he can run a route with 100 percent confidence where the ball is going to be located. It makes us that much better.

On what it means that the Bills and Rex Ryan stand in the way of the playoffs…

I kind of said it after the game, it’s crazy. It’s a great story line for you guys I guess, but I have to focus on my job and kind of what’s at hand and not think of all the outside story lines.

On Rex Ryan suggesting he might like to shave his beard for this game…

He called me ugly last time. Hopefully I’ll look a little better. I have this now (cut on his nose), so I probably even worse.

On how his daughters reacted after he got cut…

My two-year-old was scared, she didn’t like it. She wanted to know what was on my face, but then she wanted to give me a band aid so that was sweet.

On if he talked to Fred Jackson…

Yeah, I talked to Fred, just texts and stuff quite a bit. He’s pretty fired up to be in (the playoffs). I know he’s also rooting for me. He’s obviously a very good friend of mine. We’ve kind of been texting back-and-forth all year.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah except I was right so, well, there's that.

Lets hope so.  Still think Geno would have done quite well but he ruined his chance by being cheap.  I'm glad I was "right" advocating for a solid backup in Fitz like I was the second Gailey was hired.

Lets hope so.  Still think Geno would have done quite well but he ruined his chance by being cheap.  I'm glad I was "right" advocating for a solid backup in Fitz like I was the second Gailey was hired.

Ok I promise not to snicker but I gotta ask: what record do you think this team would be with Geno?

Ok I promise not to snicker but I gotta ask: what record do you think this team would be with Geno?

10-6.  Honestly thought he was primed for a breakout year with this WR group.  Nothing that happened in the Raider game changed my mind.  He came in cold not having played a game in a year and performed pretty well.

but again.. he ruined his chance by not diffusing the situation with IK.  Either pay him or explain the reason he hadn't paid him -- don't act like a doosh (which by most accts he did).

10-6.  Honestly thought he was primed for a breakout year with this WR group.  Nothing that happened in the Raider game changed my mind.  He came in cold not having played a game in a year and performed pretty well.

but again.. he ruined his chance by not diffusing the situation with IK.  Either pay him or explain the reason he hadn't paid him -- don't act like a doosh (which by most accts he did).

Guess we will never know but my view is you'd have to flip your prediction to be close. No matter, he's done as a Jet in a couple weeks. We both agree he is a moron for blowing his chance. He will now have to hope for an injury wherever he ends up to get another chance.

Kind of like the Rex obsession. Won't go away anytime soon

it's a strange thing.. I'm sure if you totaled the post content this year the overwhelming majority would be about Rex and Geno in that order.  Every so often I or someone else chimes in to defend and we're called silly names and accused of being the ones not able to let it go lol.  It doesn't bother me - it's the way of the internet - but it is odd.

Kind of like the Rex obsession. Won't go away anytime soon

Or the Namath obsession. Or the Belichick obsession. Or the Parcells obsession. Or the Kotite obsession. Or the C-Mart obsession. Or the Vinny T obsession. Or the Gastineau obsession. It's all part of the team's history. Deal with it.

Guess we will never know but my view is you'd have to flip your prediction to be close. No matter, he's done as a Jet in a couple weeks. We both agree he is a moron for blowing his chance. He will now have to hope for an injury wherever he ends up to get another chance.

I really don't think they're cutting him lol.  Why would they?  Cheap, familiar with the system, has started games and performed well at times.  He hasn't been a distraction whatsoever...  I mean there are a lot more reasons to keep him then dump him.

I really don't think they're cutting him lol.  Why would they?  Cheap, familiar with the system, has started games and performed well at times.  He hasn't been a distraction whatsoever...  I mean there are a lot more reasons to keep him then dump him.

If they can get a 7th, he's gone is my opinion. If they can't, they will probably hang onto him another year.

My prediction is he makes an appearance against Bills. I think it's going to be an absolute blowout Jets win and Fitz won't play 4th Q.

I think the main reason would be to get more reps for Petty.  Plus, there's a decent chance they draft another QB this year.

If they can get a 7th, he's gone is my opinion. If they can't, they will probably hang onto him another year.

My prediction is he makes an appearance against Bills. I think it's going to be an absolute blowout Jets win and Fitz won't play 4th Q.

And gets sacked by IK?

I think the main reason would be to get more reps for Petty.  Plus, there's a decent chance they draft another QB this year.

yeah..  the way I see it the only reason they'd cut him is if they feel really good about where Petty is at the end of the season and into the off season.  and that would be a good thing.

I just think they're on the 2 year plan with Petty which would align perfectly with the Geno situation as 16' is the last year of his contract.

I don't know. On paper it makes sense to at least keep the guy on until we have to make cuts towards the end of preseason next summer, but the guy is just such a cancer to the locker room and every time he's on the field. Unless he comes in with an entirely new attitude and looks fantastic, which I'm not sure a person like him is capable of, I think there's a legit shot they just cut ties with him.

The Jets need to be the definition of cutthroat with this position over the next two years. Keep using picks until you find one with the goods. No more fluffing kids and sacrificing multiple seasons in the hopes that the light will finally come on for another idiot. Six years of that sh*t was enough for a lifetime.

I don't know. On paper it makes sense to at least keep the guy on until we have to make cuts towards the end of preseason next summer, but the guy is just such a cancer to the locker room and every time he's on the field. Unless he comes in with an entirely new attitude and looks fantastic, which I'm not sure a person like him is capable of, I think there's a legit shot they just cut ties with him.

The Jets need to be the definition of cutthroat with this position over the next two years. Keep using picks until you find one with the goods. No more fluffing kids and sacrificing multiple seasons in the hopes that the light will finally come on for another idiot.

you sir are ending 2015 with a bang

Or the Namath obsession. Or the Belichick obsession. Or the Parcells obsession. Or the Kotite obsession. Or the C-Mart obsession. Or the Vinny T obsession. Or the Gastineau obsession. It's all part of the team's history. Deal with it.

Dude you are the one with the problem and it's clear to most posters around here. I liked Fitz from the start and glad he took the QB job, and there's no doubt it was time for Rex to be gone. But most people don't obsess over this. 

Also, how many threads are started around here about Cmart, Gast, etc. especially compared to Rex and Geno? Not only that, but it seems like half the threads are hijacked and turned into a Rex/Geno thread. That's pretty pathetic. 

If you want to argue about that, how bad is it that Jeanie the Bills fan points out that there are more Rex bashing threads than ones about our winning streak and playoff chances? That's pretty telling. 

Archived