" Jets hit paydirt with Todd Bowles/Mike Maccagnan tandem " ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

Well, now that we are headed into a complete insult of a season, a season comprised of a lot of LOSING and our so called "dream team" ran the whole thing, does everyone still think the Jets hit paydirt with Mac/Bowles. I think they f*cking suck worse than the tandem of Rich Kotite and Rich Kotite.

Go change your pad.

– Here’s the oversimplification of the millennium for the new-look Jets: Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles must find a quarterback.

Although the new Jets brain trust didn’t exactly throw Geno Smith under the bus Wednesday, it’s obvious the team will be searching for an answer at the game’s most pivotal position. Smith hasn’t given any indication that he can be a consistent presence to get the Jets back on track. Former quarterbacks coach David Lee admitted this week that Smith’s erratic play “is what killed us” in 2014.

Simple, but true.

Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, the consensus top quarterbacks in the 2015 draft, likely won’t slide to the Jets at No. 6, leaving Maccagnan in a precarious position. The next three quarterbacks in the pecking order: UCLA’s Brett Hundley, Oregon State’s Sean Mannion and Baylor’s Bryce Petty. Each comes with plenty of questions.

“I think this is a tough quarterback draft,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said during Senior Bowl practices this week.

Petty had the most impressive numbers of the trio, but it’s difficult to project how he’ll adapt to a pro system.

“When you have a guy like that, you’re retraining him because they can be third-and-goal from the 3-yard line and he’s still in the shotgun,” one personnel executive said. “You have to retrain his eyes. You got to retrain how he looks at the rush when he drops back. So he’s a bit of a project.”

Petty threw for 3,855 yards and 28 touchdowns this season, but it’s unclear how long it will take him to make the necessary adjustments to be able to play at the next level. He admitted that sharpening his footwork, pocket presence and reads will take time.

Smith, of course, is fully aware that young signal callers no longer have the luxury of a three-year window to prove their worth in the league. A few are lucky to get two seasons to prove they belong.

“I hope they’re patient,” the 6-3, 230-pound Petty said. “It’s a production type of business. It’s what are you doing for me now. That’s the nature of it. All I can do is control what I can control. . . . (I’ll) show and prove that I can pick up an NFL offense. Hopefully it won’t be two (years) and out. Hopefully it’ll be 15 and out. . . . I have no doubt that I can transition.”

Mannion’s disappointing senior season (3,164 passing yards, 15 TDs, eight interceptions) was a by-product of a porous offensive line and lack of support at the skill positions, Mayock said. The 6-5, 229-pounder has plenty to prove in the run-up to the draft.

“I think the toughest thing about him is lack of escape-ability,” Mayock said. “He can’t get away from anything. He’s got a good arm, not a great arm. For him, he really didn’t have much help this year. No protection. No receivers. His tape isn’t great. This is a big week for him.”

Mannion, projected as high as a third-rounder, is more NFL ready than Petty. His ability to make all the throws is appealing, but he’ll have to prove that he isn’t a sitting duck in the pocket.

“I don’t think it’s any secret that I’m not the fastest guy in the world,” Mannion said. “Pocket awareness is a different sort of quickness. Being quick in short, small spaces, I think that’s something I can do well and something I’ve done well over the years at OSU. I always try to be quick and move well in the pocket. It’s more important to keep your eyes downfield and really feel the rush and not look at it. It’s something that I think I do well. It’s a different sort of speed than running the 40.”

Winston and/or Mariota aren’t necessarily an elixir — “Neither of them is a slam dunk,” Mayock said — but they sure would help clear up the Jets’ quarterback situation. How much longer can the franchise live with Smith’s inconsistency?

The smart play for the Jets would be to select a quarterback in the second or third day of the draft, assuming Winston and Mariota are off the board in the first five picks.

“It’s not a bad idea to take a quarterback every year,” the personnel executive said. “You develop a guy, because you never know.”

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-job-no-1-jets-bowles-maccagnan-find-qb-article-1.2087671

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:36 PM, FTL Jet Fan said:

Come on Main that is even low for your standards. Know you are just being ignorant. Just cause he lost to the Bills twice dosent make him a bad coach. He did a good job this year, you have to have patience. What do you expect a superbowl his first year with Fitz as his QB? Let the man build his team and implement his scheme with the players he wants. this dosent happen in a year.

OK, now that a little time has gone by. I would like to revisit this discussion. You say just because Todd Bowles lost to the Bills twice does not make him a bad coach. I personally have my reservations, but I'll accept what you're saying.

But just the same, just because Mac had one good offseason prior to 2015 does not make him a great GM, now does it????

That said, I have reservations about both at this point. I do NOT see this season going well. The fact is, we are a top ten picking team with a losing record at the end of the 2016 season. This is going to start a lot of Jets fans looking at Mac/Bowles and wondering, "Are these the guys??" I say NO. I think Todd Bowles is far too inexperienced to be a HC. that much was obvious from his rookie season. He played not to lose like Herm Edwards did when he was HC very often.

Mac had a great offseason last year, but it's pretty easy to have a great offseason when you 50 million in hand to spend and all sins are forgiven as it's your inaugural season. THIS offseason was when he really needed to earn his salary. IMO he simply didn't. This offseason is an outright failure. This team will go backward and I'm sorry but going backward for a team that was 4-12 only two seasons is just simply NOT ACCEPTABLE.

On 5/15/2016 at 9:36 AM, Mainejet said:

Well, now that we are headed into a complete insult of a season, a season comprised of a lot of LOSING and our so called "dream team" ran the whole thing, does everyone still think the Jets hit paydirt with Mac/Bowles. I think they f*cking suck worse than the tandem of Rich Kotite and Rich Kotite.

You are short sighted and relentless.. To think that this resembles anything like the Kotite years is insane... You must have been a real young lad watching the games or not watching the games in general.  The GM has a very good plan in place... Has he made mistakes.. of course. Not unheard of in a rookie GM. Has he made necessary moves for the future and for the present equally... absolutely. Will this team compete week in and week out... Yes sir... Will the Jets make the playoffs, chances are not great but they could. Anybody looking at this as a failure is new to the Jets, because for the first time in a long time they have a smart GM.

5 hours ago, Mainejet said:

OK, now that a little time has gone by. I would like to revisit this discussion. You say just because Todd Bowles lost to the Bills twice does not make him a bad coach. I personally have my reservations, but I'll accept what you're saying.

But just the same, just because Mac had one good offseason prior to 2015 does not make him a great GM, now does it????

That said, I have reservations about both at this point. I do NOT see this season going well. The fact is, we are a top ten picking team with a losing record at the end of the 2016 season. This is going to start a lot of Jets fans looking at Mac/Bowles and wondering, "Are these the guys??" I say NO. I think Todd Bowles is far too inexperienced to be a HC. that much was obvious from his rookie season. He played not to lose like Herm Edwards did when he was HC very often.

Mac had a great offseason last year, but it's pretty easy to have a great offseason when you 50 million in hand to spend and all sins are forgiven as it's your inaugural season. THIS offseason was when he really needed to earn his salary. IMO he simply didn't. This offseason is an outright failure. This team will go backward and I'm sorry but going backward for a team that was 4-12 only two seasons is just simply NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I agree with you on the possibility of having a losing season given our record and our quarterback situation. I disagree with you about Bowles as I like what he has done,in my mind I can't judge a coach after one season unless he was a complete disaster and goes 0-16. Bowles is a good coach, I am from the school of thought were you have to give the coach at least 3 to 5 years before you make a decision.  There are many variables to that statement and is kind of open ended but I think you get where I'm coming from . This year is going to challenge him as a coach and could possibly be a tough year for him but he has the respect of the players. I think he is a natural coach and I think he is the right guy for our team. I like what Mac did last year,  obviously he had basically had an open checkbook.I have admit  I wasn't happy with some of the early round picks but I did like some of the later round pics.  There is no way to tell if this off-season was a total failure I think losing Brick  hurt and I was hoping we'd be able to get a deal done with Mo but to call it a complete failure is a bit premature . If we do go 4- 12 like you predict it's definitely not time to fire Bowles or can Mac. They need time to build their team, results don't happen overnight and as you know it takes several years to judge a draft class. I will be upset if we go into the season with Geno as our starter. I think Mac needs to sign Fitz as I I think he gives us the best chance to win. Patience is very important with Bowles and Mac and unfortunately the New York media and the fans don't have that. I don't know what you expect to happen especially when we don't have a quarterback that's at least a top 15 quarterback in the league. 

Very interested in your response and what you would have done different. I would also like to know who you think we should have hired as a coach and GM. 

There were a lot of terrific questions for this week's New York Jets mailbag, but we'll go with the one that takes a big-picture view of the team. I promise to answer the others on Twitter.

Should this be considered a rebuilding year due to salary cap, and a really tough schedule?
Plus the fact we don't have a QB? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: You raise valid concerns, Todd, but the answer is an emphatic no! Just in case someone misinterpreted that, let me say it again:No!

A team doesn't shift into rebuilding mode after a 10-win season. A team doesn't call it a rebuilding year when it has nine starters in the 30-and-up age category, many of whom are considered the top players on the team --Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Matt Forte, David Harris, et al. The Jets are built to win now, which is one of the reasons why they need to re-sign their "now" quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick. Do you think players like Marshall and Revis want to sacrifice a couple of wins this year so they can be better in 2017? No way. The window is closing for these players.

The Jets lost some key players in free agency, namely Chris Ivory andDamon Harrison, and they opted for 30-year-old replacements, Forte andSteve McLendon, respectively. Instead of relying on the draft, the front office chose to bring in hold-the-fort players to maintain the level of play at those positions. Rebuilding teams don't do that.What general manager Mike Maccagnan is trying to orchestrate is a half-rebuild, not a total rebuild. He's revamping the roster while attempting to stay competitive. In a sense, he wants to have his cake and eat it, too. (Knowing him, he'd probably like coffee with the cake.) There's nothing wrong with that. Instead of tearing it down in Year 1, they went for it. Even though they fell short of the playoffs, the Jets established a winning culture and regained credibility after the dark days of the Rex Ryan/John Idzik regime. Some good came out of it.

By doing so, they raised expectations for 2016.

The trick is trying to meet those expectations while getting younger, adding depth to the roster and trying to develop elite talent. Maccagnan bought and traded for top talent last offseason, upgrading the talent level immensely, but many those players are in the latter stages of their careers. They can squeeze another year out of that group, hoping their draft picks -- players such as Leonard Williams, Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, and Jordan Jenkins -- are ready to take over when the inevitable falloff occurs among the older players.

The last point I want to make is this : Take a look at the rest of the AFC. Do you see any dominant teams ? The Denver Broncos are the defending champs, but they have a post-Peyton quarterback issue. The New England Patriots probably won't have Tom Brady for the first four games.In other words, it would be crazy for the Jets -- or any team not named the Cleveland Browns -- to write off 2016. First of all, that rarely happens in the NFL, which isn't Major League Baseball. The Jets need to go for it. If they don't, it would be a disservice to the fans who have suffered through five straight seasons out of the playoffs.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60482/jets-face-significant-challenges-but-dont-repeat-dont-say-rebuilding

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, FTL Jet Fan said:

I agree with you on the possibility of having a losing season given our record and our quarterback situation. I disagree with you about Bowles as I like what he has done,in my mind I can't judge a coach after one season unless he was a complete disaster and goes 0-16. Bowles is a good coach, I am from the school of thought were you have to give the coach at least 3 to 5 years before you make a decision.  There are many variables to that statement and is kind of open ended but I think you get where I'm coming from . This year is going to challenge him as a coach and could possibly be a tough year for him but he has the respect of the players. I think he is a natural coach and I think he is the right guy for our team. I like what Mac did last year,  obviously he had basically had an open checkbook.I have admit  I wasn't happy with some of the early round picks but I did like some of the later round pics.  There is no way to tell if this off-season was a total failure I think losing Brick  hurt and I was hoping we'd be able to get a deal done with Mo but to call it a complete failure is a bit premature . If we do go 4- 12 like you predict it's definitely not time to fire Bowles or can Mac. They need time to build their team, results don't happen overnight and as you know it takes several years to judge a draft class. I will be upset if we go into the season with Geno as our starter. I think Mac needs to sign Fitz as I I think he gives us the best chance to win. Patience is very important with Bowles and Mac and unfortunately the New York media and the fans don't have that. I don't know what you expect to happen especially when we don't have a quarterback that's at least a top 15 quarterback in the league. 

Very interested in your response and what you would have done different. I would also like to know who you think we should have hired as a coach and GM. 

If the Jets go 4-12 in 2016, I don't believe it is time to fire the front office either. I'm just telling you I am not impressed by the combo either. I'm just telling you MANY will question Mac's moves during this offseason and in the future. I am telling you many Jets fans will question Todd Bowles competence. They would be right in doing so if the team goes 4-12, 5-11, 6-10, 7-9, ???? ANYTHING short IMO of going 10-6 again would and SHOULD be considered a failure on Mac's part.

The GM is responsible for making the team progressively better each and every season until they win the SB. That's the job and that's not expecting too much, that's not unreasonable. that is a very logical expectation for the GM.

In regards to what I would have done? First of all, I would not have drafted Darron Lee. I see Jon Vilma from a mile away. I WOULD draft Lee as a Safety though. In fact, I think he would be an excellent Safety. He's just too undersized to play linebacker in any 3-4 system IMO.

I would have traded down and out of the 1st round. I would have found a trading partner for Mo. I would have accumulated picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. then I would have drafted Spriggs in the 2nd round. Nick Vannett in the 3rd possibly or maybe the kid from Western Kentucky that the Rams selected in the 4th round. I probably still would have drafted Hack, I like that pick. I like the punter pick in the 7th, that was another well used pick in the right part of the draft IMO. But come or hell or high water I would have yielded potential 1st day starters AT OL (not a stretch considering an OL pick would give Mac the ability to cut Breno Giacomini and save about 5 million under the cap) and TE (not a stretch considering the Jets have probably the very worst TE's in the league currently)

If our record ends up like that for the next 4 seasons then I Would think Bowles and Mac would definitely be in the hot seat. I will reserve judgment on Mac's draft over the next couple of years. I would have liked to see things go a little different especially with the OL and CB.  I think the Lee pick was a good one as he was slated to go between 15-17. I like Bowles and you see to have your mind made up about him already. I think he will only get better and happy with him, but with out a QB, who knows.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:54 PM, FlaJetsFan said:

I am not an NFL GM.  So basically I don't know sh*t.

That said, I will say this:

1) Fitz no, at this point.  Greedy ahole.  Dont play games with us, we who have given you the best opportunity in your mediocre career.  Remember, you did not have what it took to beat Rex when it counted.  Ergo, you are, and will always be, an effen loser.

2) Mac.  Please, you had a lot of money last year.  Easy to look genius with cash in the till.  Now it looks like without all that money, you are turning into I aint signing nobody Idzik.  Your deal with Revis was foolish. Just admit it.  Next year, it shall be really sad watching young bucks sail past the old man, over and over again.  And the year after that, and the year after that.... etc

3) Geno?  An NFL QB?  Okay, me, I am famous actor.  20M million per film. Keep sniffing the glue, please.  I love those paper planes.

4) Bryce?  Does anyone really know?  Anybody?  Hello?  

5) Bowles?  Did you see anything last season that was, from a coaching perspective, imaginative?  I didnt. Then again, maybe I am suddenly blind.  And I pay effen over 200 bucks to what this s*** on Direct TV.

So.... given the upcoming schedule, expect maybe 5-11, with Brandon retiring, Decker getting into the music biz with that lapalalooza wife of his, and all our backs gone, and of course the Bearded Multi Rich Wine Man and his friends on and off to better vistas.

And here we sit.  Jets fans since Joe Willie.  Losers.  Once again.

so Mac, here is what I say to you:  find the qb.  everyone else is expendable.  and it aint some 34 year old charlie hustle whose taking your freshman a**  for a novice ride.

do whatever it takes.  get rid of everybody.  just find that effen qb.  

cappice?

Well said!!  With the 2016 schedule  five wins will be a blessing even with FITZIE~

I happen to think that Money Mike has done a better Job this off season than he did last off season when he won the acclaim as top GM . We attribute success with brand names, but real success is finding pieces that work better for what you're trying to accomplish than what you had before .

QB - TBD

RB - Improved

OL - Improved with ?

WR - Improved

DL - TBD, but Decline with ?

LB - vastly improved

DB  - Improved

ST - Improved .

We had very little money to work with and we improved just about every aspect of our team before the draft even started .

4 minutes ago, kelly said:

YATES : JETS MUST FOCUS ON FUTURE AT QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick might very well be Gang Green's starter this year, but even if he re-signs, Field Yates thinks securing a long-term solution should be priority No. 1 for the Jets. Upcoming decisions (Insider)

>    http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The Jets have been trying to acquire a long-term solution since 1969 re-signing Fitzpatrick only adds another year to the count. 

If Hackenberg is the real deal then Macc has been a raging success.  If not then the jury is still out.  Going 10-6 against the easiest SOS and not making the playoffs certainly isn't bad but doesn't prove he's a great GM either.  Keep in mind he didn't hire Bowles (pretty sure of that at least).  Bowles came separately from Casserly/Wolf. 

It was a quarterback day as usual for reporters, but head coach Todd Bowles wasn't supplying any headlines today regarding Ryan Fitzpatrick still being unsigned    or  Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker being at practice."As a coach, you don't block it out," Bowles said at his news conference following today's OTA practice regarding Fitzpatrick's situation. "Being a former player, you've seen quite a few things in your day, contract-wise, and on the management side I've seen a few things as well."Treat it like an injury. Whether you're suspended, whether it's contract, whether it's an injury, they're still not here. And as a coach, you get paid to get your team ready to play and keep the team together, and regardless of who's playing any position, you've got to win ballgames. So that's how I treat it."Bowles thought nothing special of the absence of Marshall and Decker, the Jets' top two wideouts, at last week's start to OTAs, because these practices are voluntary and also because he said both of them told him why they weren't showing.

"I talked to them and I knew they were going to miss last week," the coach said. "The reasons they told me, they had valid reasons, so they were fine."Back in the lineup this week, the two got to work with Geno Smith as the starting QB, and Marshall in particular had praise for Geno's grasp of the offense and maturity this year, and not only because the two roomed together during last year's training camp.Bowles similarly likes what he's seeing from Smith."Right now we're at five days of OTAs," he said. "From a mental standpoint, you're getting a lot of reps and he's getting to see things a lot clearer. We're not at the August standpoint where we can say that opportunity has taken place yet, so it's really early in the stages, but he is getting major reps."And he had one more headline-squelching observation about what Fitzpatrick is missing right now by not being at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center.

"You can get into a routine as a veteran player. You have your workout routine and your camaraderie routine, getting used to being around the guys," Bowles said. "But Ryan was hurt last year when he was here at this point in time, so it's pretty much the same thing. And that didn't seem to hurt him."

Bowles also fielded questions on a few Week 2 non-QB issues :

New LT Ryan Clady (above photo) — "Yeah, it's good to see him. He's been working with the team. But to get him a couple of reps and athletically to get him used to what we're trying to do at full speed again has been good to see. He's a little rusty. He hasn't played in a while."

Rehabbing CB Darrelle Revis  "He's working out right now, running, doing all he's supposed to be doing. He's doing wrist exercises. He'll be ready when he's ready."

The "more vocal" Erin Henderson  "I think he's feeling much more comfortable, and he likes to get everybody going. Erin's always been a talker, more behind-the-scenes, but he's becoming more of a vocal leader now. It's all in fun with him. It's about good camaraderie."

Practices in general — "Just good effort right now, guys learning the system, learning how to play with each other again. So they're still getting some kinks out on both sides of the ball, and special-teams-wise, they're getting used to Coach [Brant] Boyer. But the effort's good and the camaraderie's coming together, so it’s been good.

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Bowles-Takes-Comings--Goings-in-Stride/f67fad32-c233-401c-9837-a0babb7c3bf7

1. Say it ain't so: The Jets will be hard-pressed to match last season's 10-6 record. Their schedule is brutal, their roster is no better than last year's and their quarterback situation is a question mark (for now). History, never a friend to the Jets, is also against them. Teams that make major jumps in one year almost always slide back the next season. It's the law of the jungle in the NFL, where parity-inducing factors conspire against upstart teams.

The Jets made a six-win improvement last season, something that happened 39 times from 1990 to 2014 -- the era for the current playoff format. A look at how those teams fared the following year:

• Won fewer games: 31

• Won the same number of games: 5

• Won more games: 3

To be fair, six of the 31 teams that regressed in the win column still made the playoffs, including one team that won the Super Bowl -- the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers. Even with those teams factored into the equation, the data is still overwhelming: It's really hard to maintain a two-year progression.In case you're wondering, the three exceptions were the 1998 Jets (12-4), the 2003 Carolina Panthers (NFC champs) and 2006 Chicago Bears (NFC champs). Maybe the current Jets can derive inspiration from their '98 ancestors. Quick, somebody get Bill Parcells on the phone.

2. The Big Chill: Speaking of the tough schedule, Todd Bowles said he's not concerned that five of the first six games are against 2015 playoff teams. He knew he'd have to face those opponents anyway, so he doesn't get caught up in the order. Bowles said the first thing he checks on the schedule is the number of cold-weather games in December. For the record, five of their six post-Thanksgiving games are in cold weather, including four at MetLife Stadium. The other venue is Gillette Stadium. Translation: The back end of the schedule is no picnic, either.

3. Phantom Fitz: Bowles' approach to the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract impasse is straight out of the coaching handbook. It's the "Next Man Up" philosophy, treating Fitzpatrick as if he's injured and unavailable. That may help the coach's mindset, but it doesn't work in the locker room. The players know Fitzpatrick is sitting at home, healthy, waiting to play. They talk to him regularly, so they're constantly reminded of his absence. Until there's closure, it will continue to be a distraction.

rest of above article  :  

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/60869/history-says-jets-are-pretty-much-doomed-to-a-step-back-in-16

all GM's look the same until they find a QB

If fitz gets away and hack sucks, the jets will be looking for a new GM after this season

if fitz winds up somewhere else and plays "ok" and lynch is anything but the next bust the billboards will go up by november

4 minutes ago, Larz said:

all GM's look the same until they find a QB

If fitz gets away and hack sucks, the jets will be looking for a new GM after this season

if fitz winds up somewhere else and plays "ok" and lynch is anything but the next bust the billboards will go up by november

This is why the New York  Jets will always be what they are .  It is not the GMs that run this Franchise but the fans and the media  who force the Owner into move after move in fear of losing it's  fan base .  What this owner fail to realize is that True Jet Fans will never leave this Organization .  We have the opportunity to build something with Men Of Conviction who will need time and support.

Instead, what is being offered is threats about billboards and Banners if the same Old is not allowed .

There's only 1 situation whereby one can do the same thing over and over again, expect a different result and it's not considered insanity .  I can assure you this is not it .

43 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What this owner fail to realize is that True Jet Fans will never leave this Organization . 

I used to think that.  Then Tebow and Idzik happened.

Both tremendous kicks to the nuts from Woody.  Insulting the football knowledge of fans for BS hype, and refusing to spend money to build a team while charging fans near record amounts for tickets.

Granted the likes of Tebow and Idzik are so rare that it's tough to make those sorts of mistakes often, even if you're purposely trying to.  Hell, as much as I think signing Fitz is a waste and will hurt the team, that's still an acceptable mistake.  In fact, cant think of any move now that could possibly be made that'd be at a Tebow/Idzik level.  (Short of bringing one of those two back of course.)

So realistically I'm a Jet fan for life.  However that stupidity a couple years ago made me realize it's not impossible to leave the organization.

All of the players ran sprints after the Jets wrapped up their organized team activity Wednesday, leading some observers to wonder if coach Todd Bowles was sending a message. That wasn’t the case, Bowles said afterward. "We just needed to run, that’s all," he said. "Some people needed to run, so everybody ran.’’ In fact, Bowles said he likes what he’s seen during the team’s spring practices, which will conclude with a three-day mandatory minicamp beginning today. "We’re getting better," Bowles said. "We’re making progress. Some young guys are getting the chance to play and learn the system to get schematically better. … The guys are getting in better shape." Of course, Bowles and the Jets won’t be seeing quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson on the field this week. Free agent Fitzpatrick and the Jets remain far apart in their three-month-old contract impasse, and Wilkerson has yet to sign his $15.7 million franchise-tag tender.

Because Wilkerson technically isn’t under contract, he can skip minicamp without incurring any fines. And with Fitzpatrick still absent (even though his old locker still hasn’t been assigned to anyone else), Geno Smith will continue to take the snaps with the starting offense. Bowles was asked if the specter of the unsigned Fitzpatrick looming over Smith’s shoulder makes it difficult for him to be the leader of the offense. "I don’t think so," Bowles said. "You take advantage of opportunities whether you’re first team, second team or third team. You have to do your job and he’s been doing his job. He’s been great mentally and I’m happy with what he’s doing." In fact, wide receiver Brandon Marshall said Wednesday the offense has been "kicking their butts," referring to the defense. "I’m being honest," Marshall said. "Last year, they whupped us. It was pretty bad. But now, we’re whupping on them, that top-five, top-six defense over there. Feels good, too. A little payback from last year." "That’s a great Brandon Marshall answer," Bowles said with a smile. "But they have more chemistry and they’ve been together in the system a year, so they’re not starting out as slow as they were last year. So they’ve been in sync pretty good."

>    http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/jets-offense-in-a-groove-minus-fitz-1.1615573

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Methodical Mike: You may not agree with Mike Maccagnan's negotiating positions with regard to Ryan Fitzpatrick and Muhammad Wilkerson, but say this for the general manager: He's not afraid to take unpopular stances.One of his predecessors, Mike Tannenbaum, was known to make impulsive moves to capture fan and media approval. Some worked out, but he had some big-money misses. Maccagnan already has developed a reputation as a hard-line GM, with a philosophy that aligns close to -- dare I say it? -- the New England Patriots.

The Patriots operate in cold-blooded fashion, removing the emotion from contract decisions. As a result, they've parted ways with many household names over the years, taking heat for some of those moves. But they keep winning. Of course, it helps to have the ultimate ace in the hole -- Tom Brady, whose presence allows Bill Belichick to play hardball with the rest of the roster. The Jets don't have anyone close to Brady, so Maccagnan's approach to Fitzpatrick and Wilkerson can best be described as double-edged."Mike is in a position to make a statement to the players, to show them who's boss," said a former GM, commenting specifically on the Fitzpatrick dispute. "But if he caves and it goes south, the agent community will see it. It's a delicate situation."

In 17 months as GM, Maccagnan has doled out only one bloated contract --Darrelle Revis, who received $39 million guaranteed. Clearly, that was an impulse buy. Since that blockbuster, he hasn't made any financially outrageous moves, sticking to his value board. He lives in a long-term world, which is great, but the honeymoon will end abruptly if the Jets are Fitz-less and stink it up this season.

2. Philly phanatics: The Philadelphia Eagles have made life difficult for the Jets (and a lot of other teams) with their over-the-top spending spree. Two signings, in particular, are impacting the Jets -- quarterback Sam Bradford (two years, $35 million) and defensive tackle Fletcher Cox (six-year extension, $103 million). Wilkerson wants Cox money and Fitzpatrick wants Bradford money, or close to it. The Jets may believe the deals are aberrations, but try telling that to the agents.

3. What's the Mo-tivation? Some people might be wondering what Wilkerson could gain by not reporting to training camp on July 27 -- assuming he doesn't get a new deal. It couldn't be a long-term contract because the deadline is July 15 for players with the franchise tag. So why stay away ? A few reasons  :

He can avoid injury and rest his surgically repaired broken leg. He can try to create some agita for the Jets. He also can try to leverage them into agreeing to a no-tag clause for 2017; that could potentially be worth a lot of money. Technically, he could try to squeeze them for more money in 2016. By rule, he'd have to sign a one-year deal for the franchise tender ($15.7 million), but there's no rule that would prohibit him from asking for, say, performance bonuses.I'd be surprised if Wilkerson shows up on time. Remember, he can't be fined because he's not under contract, so there's no downside. He won't lose money unless his sits out games in the regular season, and that's unlikely. The last franchise-tagged player to do that was Walter Jones in 2002, according to NFL.com.

4. Geno & Co.: Geno Smith spent time earlier in the offseason throwing to the likes of Odell Beckham Jr., Antonio Brown and Jarvis Landry during informal workouts in South Florida -- not a bad receiving corps."Just staying fresh in the offseason," Smith said. "Odell knows some of my boys, so we all hang out together. We talk football. A lot of South Florida guys, a lot of guys in this locker room come down."

5. Deion ready for prime time? One player to watch in training camp will be Deion Barnes, a former practice-squad player who has worked his way into the outside-linebacker mix. Barnes, who played defensive end at Penn State, made nice strides in the offseason and earned strong praise from his position coach. "In a year's time, he's probably the most improved young player at any position," Mark Collins said.At 6-foot-4, 255 pounds, Barnes has prototypical size for a 3-4 outside linebacker. He also plays with a nice burst on the edge. He was the Big Ten's Freshman of the Year in 2012, but like many players at Penn State, he probably was adversely affected by the off-the-field issues that crippled the program. Who knows? Maybe the Jets have uncovered an undrafted gem.

6. Dynamic duo: Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall combined for 189 catches, 2,529 yards and 26 touchdowns last season. What about an encore ?

"We'd like to have that encore and 20 percent more efficiency," wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell said.By that, Dorrell means better route running and fewer dropped passes. Marshall was fourth in the league with eight drops, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That's his yearly average, but we have to mention he was the NFL's most-targeted receiver over the last 10 years. Still, Dorrell believes Marshall can reduce the drops by fine-tuning his route running. The thinking is, if he can gain better separation, he can be a cleaner target for the quarterback.

rest of above article  :  

>  http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61023/hardline-jets-take-a-page-from-patriots-negotiating-playbook

@RichCimini outside of the QB situation what do you think is the biggest thing stopping jets from being true SB contender?#jetsmail

@RichCimini: If the Jets had an elite quarterback -- heck, a top-10 quarterback -- they would be a Super Bowl contender. A great quarterback raises the level of those around him, and the Jets have enough pieces to be a serious contender ... if only they didn't have a giant question at quarterback. But I understand the question; you're looking for a non-quarterback answer.

Assuming there's improvement from the special teams, the Jets don't have any glaring weaknesses, but I'd say the biggest concern is the offensive line. This is an older group on the decline. Three of the five starters on opening day will be at least 30 years old, and one of them -- Ryan Clady -- is coming off major knee surgery. If Clady is healthy, he'll be an upgrade over D'Brickashaw Ferguson, but I don't know if it'll be enough to offset the inevitable slippage at other positions. Nick Mangold, 32, is a warrior, but Father Time is undefeated. There's a reason why Mangold was rested through much of the offseason program. If Mangold gets hurt, the entire unit sinks.

Pass protection won't be an issue if Ryan Fitzpatrick is the quarterback -- he saves sacks with a quick release -- but the run blocking could be an issue. Matt Forte won't break as many tackles as Chris Ivory, so you could argue the run blocking will need to be better than a year ago. I have serious questions about that.The Jets also need a No. 3 option in the passing game to take some pressure ofEric Decker and Brandon Marshall. Do they have that guy? Forte is a proven receiver, but you don't want to play him 50 snaps a game. Maybe it can be Bilal Powell or Quincy Enunwa. Is there a tight end in the house? We'll see.

There are some questions on defense, namely the young linebackers, but this still has the potential to be a very good unit. A word of caution, though: The Jets faced a lousy bunch of quarterbacks last season, allowing them to dominate in some games. The level of competition will be considerably higher this year. In addition to Tom Brady, they will face Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger,Carson Palmer, Joe Flacco and Andrew Luck. If the Jets have deficiencies, they will be exposed by this group of quarterbacks.

In the NFL, it usually comes down to quarterback play. You need a good one, and you need to prevent others from being good.

>     http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61169/jets-could-be-super-bowl-contender-if-it-werent-for-qb-situation-and

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Mac and Bowles, this season is where the rubber his the road. This season, much more so than last, Mac has been challenged to keep this team competitive. I personally do not believe he managed to keep this team competitive. They will have a losing record this season.

Todd Bowles will be in for the challenge of his coaching life. With the kind of competition the Jets will be facing this season, Bowles will need to be at his very best every week. If Bowles is forced to go into the season with Geno as the starter, this season will go from presumably bad to certain disaster.

Mac already failed the fans as GM. This offseason was a bungled disaster and it will show on the field this season.

2 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Regardless of what anyone thinks about Mac and Bowles, this season is where the rubber his the road. This season, much more so than last, Mac has been challenged to keep this team competitive. I personally do not believe he managed to keep this team competitive. They will have a losing record this season.

Todd Bowles will be in for the challenge of his coaching life. With the kind of competition the Jets will be facing this season, Bowles will need to be at his very best every week. If Bowles is forced to go into the season with Geno as the starter, this season will go from presumably bad to certain disaster.

Mac already failed the fans as GM. This offseason was a bungled disaster and it will show on the field this season.

The worst possible thing for Macc this year is the team declining a notch or two in the win/loss stat line, while also paying (wasting) big money on a useless QB.  It'd show he has no vision, takes the popular/safe choice, and is out of his league here in NY.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

The worst possible thing for Macc this year is the team declining a notch or two in the win/loss stat line, while also paying (wasting) big money on a useless QB.  It'd show he has no vision, takes the popular/safe choice, and is out of his league here in NY.

Well, I don't think he will have to sell the farm to get Fitz to play. The Jets have an offer on the table and Fitz is going to have to accept it. But the money I personally do not believe is a big deal, the competitiveness of the team is. If the jets get Fitz back and they still go 6-10 (which I think they probably will), at least everyone is satisfied because they know Mac/Bowles went down with their very best on the field.

Now, if they went into the season with Geno and Geno started playing like he always did (terrible), the fan base will turn on Mac and Bowles. They would get very angry from the standpoint that they knew Mac had a good QB in his midst and he chose to let Fitz go. Going with Geno has disaster written all over it.   

10 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, I don't think he will have to sell the farm to get Fitz to play. The Jets have an offer on the table and Fitz is going to have to accept it. But the money I personally do not believe is a big deal, the competitiveness of the team is. If the jets get Fitz back and they still go 6-10 (which I think they probably will), at least everyone is satisfied because they know Mac/Bowles went down with their very best on the field.

Now, if they went into the season with Geno and Geno started playing like he always did (terrible), the fan base will turn on Mac and Bowles. They would get very angry from the standpoint that they knew Mac had a good QB in his midst and he chose to let Fitz go. Going with Geno has disaster written all over it.   

Overall I think you're right.  Which is why I'm disappointed with the fans/media wanting Fitz to return.  Seems like a defeatist move to me.

Spend decent-to-big money for what will still probably result as a failure, because...?  Well I'm not exactly sure why.  I guess people actually believe Fitz is a substantially better QB than Geno.  I dont even think Fitz is a slightly better QB than Geno.  In fact chances are, at this point in time, with this team, Geno is the better QB.  And cheaper! 

6 months of this BS.  Really can't wait for this to be over.  Macc is a fool for letting it linger this long.

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Overall I think you're right.  Which is why I'm disappointed with the fans/media wanting Fitz to return.  Seems like a defeatist move to me.

Spend decent-to-big money for what will still probably result as a failure, because...?  Well I'm not exactly sure why.  I guess people actually believe Fitz is a substantially better QB than Geno.  I dont even think Fitz is a slightly better QB than Geno.  In fact chances are, at this point in time, with this team, Geno is the better QB.  And cheaper! 

6 months of this BS.  Really can't wait for this to be over.  Macc is a fool for letting it linger this long.

Well, really what this all boils down to is a few factors:

1)The Jets fan base has already had more than enough of Geno Smith. They do not like what they saw from him. They saw a terrible QB.

2) They really don't like him. not after all the IK locker room altercation nonsense. Like many here on this site, they refer to Geno Smith as the golden arm with the 10 cent brain. There's a lot of fans that actually do believe this. And make no mistake about it, it's not complimentary in any way.

Due to the competition we face this season, I only see the team winning anywhere from 4 to 6 games, with Fitz more like 6, with Geno more like 4 and a whole lot of very upset fans...

4 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, really what this all boils down to is a few factors:

1)The Jets fan base has already had more than enough of Geno Smith. They do not like what they saw from him. They saw a terrible QB.

2) They really don't like him. not after all the IK locker room altercation nonsense. Like many here on this site, they refer to Geno Smith as the golden arm with the 10 cent brain. There's a lot of fans that actually do believe this. And make no mistake about it, it's not complimentary in any way.

Due to the competition we face this season, I only see the team winning anywhere from 4 to 6 games, with Fitz more like 6, with Geno more like 4 and a whole lot of very upset fans...

Could very well be.  Though I personally like Geno's odds of keeping us competitive vs even the top teams and think he'd surprise many.

But even if you're right... I'd much prefer 4-12 w/Geno over 6-10 w/Fitz.  That'd mean we would have saved 12mil and have a better draft pick.

The off-offseason is in full swing, but that doesn’t mean the Jets are far from your mind. So, to help ease any concerns you have regarding the franchise entering training camp, Jets Wire is here with another Sunday mailbag.The routine is well known by now: We take questions via Twitter submission, then answer a few of them below.

Who will lead the Jets in sacks in 2016, is it better for Ryan Fitzpatrick to replicate his 2015 success, or Geno Smith improve, are there any veteran QB options on the open market, and much more :

@Connor_J_Hughes Say Fitz doesn't sign, what free agent vet QBs would Jets look at for backup role ?

HUGHES : There’s not much, man. Not much at all. A talented quarterback is the most valued and hard-to-find position in all of sports. There aren’t going to be any viable options out there on the open market the first week of July.I took a look at the best of the worst options here, and as you can see, it’s not pretty. Michael Vick? Tavaris Jackson? Matt Flynn? Maybe there’s a camp arm in there somewhere, but nothing that would provide anything close to what Fitzpatrick would/does.

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/07/03/mailbag-who-will-lead-jets-in-sacks-can-fitzpatrick-replicate-2015-success/

The Green and White open up the 2016 season with a challenging start. Five of their first six opponents were playoff teams last year as those clubs recorded a cumulative .667 (64-32) winning percentage. In addition, four of those six contests are on the road, but former Jets QB Boomer Esiason believes the Jets are a force to be reckoned with themselves.

“Their opening six games is probably the hardest in football, but I would say the same thing for the other teams looking at the Jets. They know who the Jets have, who they have on their defensive line, their linebackers, their coach,” he said. “It’s easy for us to say those six games are really going to be hard, but those six teams are looking at the Jets saying the same thing.”

Esiason, a co-host of WFAN’s Boomer and Carton and an analyst on CBS’ The NFL Today, thinks the Jets are inching closer to the postseason after falling just one game short last year.“It’s unfortunate they didn’t make the playoffs last year because they were a playoff worthy team,” said the former four-time Pro Bowler. “This is a team that is in it to win it and I think as a Jets fan you have to believe that they are heading in the right direction. They’ve touched all the right buttons.”

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Boomer-Jets-Heading-in-Right-Direction/2b6b5c46-811e-4549-b68a-be1580782950

• 2 weeks later...

On and on the Ryan Fitzpatrick contract standoff drags, as theJets prepare to report to training camp July 27. 

Ex-Jets quarterback and current WFAN host Boomer Esiason believes Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan could've avoided this mess last offseason, when he traded for Fitzpatrick and inherited the final season of his contract."I think Mike Maccagnan made a mistake," Esiason told NJ Advance Media. "He pushed all the right buttons last year — bringing in Brandon Marshall, signing Darrelle Revis, bringing in Buster Skrine and [Marcus] Gilchrist.

"The one mistake he made is that he did not extend Ryan Fitzpatrick when he traded for him last year. He should've extended him the moment he got him, and said, 'OK, you're going to be our backup quarterback. We'll give you two more years.' And I bet you Ryan would've signed it back then." Esiason spoke Thursday at Cochrane Stadium, where he and radio co-host Craig Carton hosted a charity softball game. 

Fitzpatrick, 33, thrived last season with the Jets, who have offered him a three-year, $24 million contract that includes $12 million in Year 1 and $15 million in total guaranteed pay. Esiason thinks Maccagnan took a risk last offseason by not extending Fitzpatrick's contract after the trade. "They both gambled, and Ryan won the gamble by his play on the field," Esiason said. "Now, they're sitting here and they're trying to figure out a way to make this happen. I understand exactly where Ryan is coming from. He was the one that galvanized this team last year.

"I don't think people realize just how hard that is to do, and then to do it as seamlessly as he did it, and did it with the class that he did it — and the performance. This day and age in the NFL, the performance is worth $15 million a year. I don't know what else to tell you."I still think Ryan Fitzpatrick is going to be the starting quarterback. It's not push come to shove time just yet. Hopefully it does [work out], because I like Ryan. I think Ryan did an unbelievable job for them. If anybody deserves a contract, it's him." 

Esiason isn't sure if the Jets can win with Geno Smith, should things not work out with Fitzpatrick. 

"He's saying all the right things," Esiason said of Smith. "But saying the right things, and when you're under the gun and with the anxiety and the stress that comes along with that, making the right calls, making all the right audibles at the line of scrimmage, getting them in the right formations, getting the most out of a Brandon Marshall, getting the most out of an Eric Decker, that's the $50 million question, isn't it? And if he does, then Mike Maccagnan has rolled the dice the right way again this year." 

Thursday's Esiason-Carton charity softball game, which the Esiason-Carton local celebrities team played against Port Authority police officers, raised money for the families of the five police officers recently killed in Dallas.Esiason said the game was originally going to raise money for the Port Authority PBA Widows' and Children's Fund. (Thirty-seven Port Authority police officers died on 9/11.) But after the Dallas shootings, the Port Authority cops decided to send the money down to Texas, said Esiason. 

>       

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/heres_how_jets_mike_maccagnan_messed_up_ryan_fitzp.html#incart_river_index

Archived