Mario Williams to be cut

slowmoe57

Report: Bills have decided they’re cutting Mario Williams

Mario WilliamsAP

The Bills are hanging onto both General Manager Doug Whaley and coach Rex Ryan, but the “drastic changes” in Buffalo are coming, nonetheless.

According to the Associated Press, the Bills have decided to cut pass-rusher Mario Williams this offseason.

While doing so hardly qualifies as a surprise — he recently suggested he a pay cut wasn’t anything he was interested in — the timing is interesting.

Williams still has a game to play Sunday against the Jets, so it will be curious to see if they keep him active and motivated to play when he knows he’s on his way out.

The Bills can save more than $12 million in cap room next year, and since Williams isn’t a great fit for their defense, it seems reasonable.

Williams turns 31 in January, and has 4.0 sacks this year after posting 38.5 in the first three years of the six-year, $100 million deal he signed in 2012.

How much motivation will he have on Sunday??????

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Report: Bills have decided they’re cutting Mario Williams

Mario WilliamsAP

"How much motivation will he have on Sunday??????"

Probably about as much motivation as he showed this past Sunday against Dallas - that is null.  We don't need him.  This is good news.

Probably about as much motivation as he showed this past Sunday against Dallas - that is null.  We don't need him.  This is good news.

Jeannie....after one season, Parcells got rid of Hugh Douglass, who was rookie of the year 2 years prior. We never looked back. Some guys just don't fit certain systems/coaches. probably is good news for your team. Happy New Year!

This is bad news. He will be playing like a beast to keep/earn a contract. Basically just became the last game of a contract year for him.

Or he'll be focused on not getting injured, or maybe he won't even be activated. 

The timing is odd. Could be that the Bills are sending a message to the rest of the team that no one isn't expendable. 

This is bad news. He will be playing like a beast to keep/earn a contract. Basically just became the last game of a contract year for him.

I wonder if they don't activate him for the game; if you are going to release him, and don't want him joining another team (so you don't do it now); you may deactivate him to make sure he doesn't get hurt and then they will have to do some type of settlement for releasing an injured player, no?

Or he'll be focused on not getting injured, or maybe he won't even be activated. 

The timing is odd. Could be that the Bills are sending a message to the rest of the team that no one isn't expendable. 

My thoughts exactly. 1 would think coming into FA healthy would be most important to him. 

I'm sure he won't be activated 'cause I'm sure he'll be talking smack about Rex to the other players.

Seems like a win/win for both parties if he just packs up his locker next week.

My thoughts exactly. 1 would think coming into FA healthy would be most important to him. 

I'm sure he won't be activated 'cause I'm sure he'll be talking smack about Rex to the other players.

Seems like a win/win for both parties if he just packs up his locker next week.

I agree.  He's been useless over the past few games,  especially this past Sunday.  Not bad for $90 Mil?  Ergh

Just a thought.  Could it be that he's caused more damage in the locker room than we know about?  Maybe the news is music to our players' ears.  

Jeannie....after one season, Parcells got rid of Hugh Douglass, who was rookie of the year 2 years prior. We never looked back. Some guys just don't fit certain systems/coaches. probably is good news for your team. Happy New Year!

I think it is good news Section.  I don't believe the new scheme is the entire problem.  Williams played very well with the 3-4 scheme under Pettine in 2013.  I just think it's time for Williams to move on.  

Yeah, getting rid of Hugh Douglas was a great move.

I think it is good news Section.  I don't believe the new scheme is the entire problem.  Williams played very well with the 3-4 scheme under Pettine in 2013.  I just think it's time for Williams to move on.  

I don't think Williams is the one you should want to move on...

Again, Rex, not knowing how to use his personel/players. They have a top 3 or so DLine there with the Bills, but why let them drop in coverage too often?. Sure a zone blitz here and there warrants it, but if the DLineman are complaining this much they must be doing it too much of the time. Jets had 3 solid DLineman for the 3-4 with Mo, Snacks, and Richardson, but when adding Williams via the draft since he was BAP and possibly best player in the draft they just inserted him where he is there with those 3 on 4 man fronts when they are out of the base, and when they are in the base they use Richardson at OLB since they saw he was athletic enough to do that. Rex just can't seem to do these things since he needs Players to fit his D instead of using a D/Scheme that plugs players in where needed adapting to their strengths like Bowles does. Plus Ryans schemes at one point get figured out by other teams O's like it even started occurring in our 1st year at the end of the season. Bowles D seems to be confusing teams even here at the end of the 1st season as Brady seemed confused more often than not last week. 

If he's cut before the game, Bowles will sign him, send him out as captain, walk out onto the field himself at the coin toss, and cut Mario on the spot on live TV.

Just to send a message.

The Jets organization isn't that low-life, not gonna happen.

They should sign him if he's cut for the playoff run. :D

Archived