It's time for Jets to draft a shifty pass catching RB

Jetster

I love Bilal & Ivory but both have spent a good portion of the season banged up. It's time for some fresh legs Mac. Any young stud RB will do well when the defense has Marshall & Decker to worry about. The biggest issue for a youngster is pass blocking assignments.

i have no idea what the future holds but based on what I have seen of this offense, if you add a speedy pass catching RB & find a TE in the Martellus Bennett mold, Jets will be a top 5 offense next year. Ivory doesn't even seem a match for this offense.

Agreed.  To upgrade this offense you need explosive plays.  

We know Fitz doesn't have the best deep ball arm and Marshall and Decker aren't those types of guys.  A fast, quick strike, big play type RB is exactly what this offense needs to get into the top 5. 

Best thing about that  is that you can find a quality 3rd down back latter in the draft. The cards  got David Johnson in the 3rd round. The best pass catching rookie RB in this years draft.

Not as easy a find as many say. My guess is 20 fan bases say they could use this type of player. One or two strikes gold each draft if lucky

Maybe Josh Ferguson:

Illinois_logo.gif Josh Ferguson*, RB, Illinois 
Height: 5-10. Weight: 200. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.49. 
Projected Round (2016): 3-4. 

12/5/15: Ferguson is fast, athletic back who has made a favorable impression on NFL evaluators. Ferguson was banged up with a shoulder injury in 2015 and missed a number of games, but he averaged 5.5 yards per carry for 708 yards and three touchdowns. He also had 38 receptions for 280 yards and two scores. 

Ferguson showed real receiving skills when he hauled in 50 passes as a junior and a sophomore. Sources like his ability to contribute to the passing game and special teams.

Maybe Josh Ferguson:

Illinois_logo.gif Josh Ferguson*, RB, Illinois 
Height: 5-10. Weight: 200. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.49. 
Projected Round (2016): 3-4. 

12/5/15: Ferguson is fast, athletic back who has made a favorable impression on NFL evaluators. Ferguson was banged up with a shoulder injury in 2015 and missed a number of games, but he averaged 5.5 yards per carry for 708 yards and three touchdowns. He also had 38 receptions for 280 yards and two scores. 

Ferguson showed real receiving skills when he hauled in 50 passes as a junior and a sophomore. Sources like his ability to contribute to the passing game and special teams.

Too expensive. You want a receiving/COP back, we can grab a Drake/Marshall in the 5th-6th... if we're burning 2-4 round picks, guy better be able to do more than catch. Ferguson is overpriced IMO but we'll see where things shake out. We need to inject total youth into our Backfield. Elliot, Henry, Hunt, Collins, these guys are all on the table for the Jets. 

I've been saying this for years, but this year I've been really happy with Bilal Powell in the role. He's looked faster than ever catching the football, and is extremely reliable as a pass protector. I'm all for upgrading every position on the team, but for once this isn't a huge priority for me. Powell signed a one year extension for $2M last year. I'd love to see the team sign him for three more at similar money. 

I've been saying this for years, but this year I've been really happy with Bilal Powell in the role. He's looked faster than ever catching the football, and is extremely reliable as a pass protector. I'm all for upgrading every position on the team, but for once this isn't a huge priority for me. Powell signed a one year extension for $2M last year. I'd love to see the team sign him for three more at similar money. 

i agree. i think maybe we should go running back early. i love the way ivory plays but he is banged up a lot and in some games does nothing at all. 

I like what Powell has done this year as well...just watched the Rose Bowl yesterday and loved McCaffery's game.  The fact that his father played also adds some promise of a professional.  Make a great tandem.  

Too expensive. You want a receiving/COP back, we can grab a Drake/Marshall in the 5th-6th... if we're burning 2-4 round picks, guy better be able to do more than catch. Ferguson is overpriced IMO but we'll see where things shake out. We need to inject total youth into our Backfield. Elliot, Henry, Hunt, Collins, these guys are all on the table for the Jets. 

Love Derrick Henry for the Jets.

Another guy that might be had that fits Chans offense is Tre Mason. Just a younger version of Bilal. After drafting Gurley he's an afterthought in St. Louis. Let's see how creative Big Mac gets in the offseason.

Do you guys think Mac could get a 1 & 3 for Sheldon Richardson?, depending on the team & where they might be picking? If I'm trading anyone it's Sheldon even though I think he's our most versatile Dlineman. Richardson keeps hinting of his huge payday coming soon. He even commented about playing OLB, that it will just be another notch in his resume. 

While all of you guys think a player like McCaffery is a pipe dream, if the Jets do find a trading partner for Sheldon, it's not far fetched he could be a Jet in 2016. Imagine if Amaro comes back strong (I'm not a believer & think he's a bust) but that's just my opinion & obviously I could be wrong, plus a player like McCaffery, an upgrade at RT, young speedy draft picks & a couple UDFAs added to special teams & next year your competing with the Patriots for the division. 

Another guy that might be had that fits Chans offense is Tre Mason. Just a younger version of Bilal. After drafting Gurley he's an afterthought in St. Louis. Let's see how creative Big Mac gets in the offseason.

Do you guys think Mac could get a 1 & 3 for Sheldon Richardson?, depending on the team & where they might be picking? If I'm trading anyone it's Sheldon even though I think he's our most versatile Dlineman. Richardson keeps hinting of his huge payday coming soon. He even commented about playing OLB, that it will just be another notch in his resume. 

While all of you guys think a player like McCaffery is a pipe dream, if the Jets do find a trading partner for Sheldon, it's not far fetched he could be a Jet in 2016. Imagine if Amaro comes back strong (I'm not a believer & think he's a bust) but that's just my opinion & obviously I could be wrong, plus a player like McCaffery, an upgrade at RT, young speedy draft picks & a couple UDFAs added to special teams & next year your competing with the Patriots for the division. 

Why trade a top 5 lineman? Especially one who has little to no leverage for a contract after a terrible offseason.... Whats the best case scenario in trading a top 5 player?... you have a 15% chance of drafting another top 5 player? It's not even close to a necessary/prudent move for the Jets in 2016. 

This trading Richardson stuff is for the birds. We let Coples go, might have to say bye bye to Harrison this offseason... like, no. No way. 

Your right in the sense that we could easily franchise Mo & get another year out of Richardson but his value is at his highest this offseason when he's not in his contract year. I could easily see someone like Jerry Jones interested in Richardson. You already have Mo & Leo, you drafted Mauldin, I'd rather sign Bruce Irvin in free agency & add more speed to this defense on the edge & use draft picks to start replacing our Oline, & inside linebackers. 

You go into next year with a pass rusher like Irvin and 4 picks in the top 96 including 2 first rounders. Sign me up for that. Jets could use Cros money for Irvin & replace Cro with Marcus Williams. Hell, I could see the Jets putting a 2nd round tender on Snacks & someone might bite.

Archived