Next test for Bowles; sifting out the trash in our Defense

Paradis

I'm happy with our coach (though at the moment i want to rip someone in half with a rusty chainsaw) and the job he's done with a MESS of a team from 2015..

But a heavy task lies ahead -- one he'll surely be judged by; Todd & co need to eviscerate this band of underachieving a$$sholes and field a unit that WANTS to win. Players who play to the whistle and don't make BONEHEADED mistakes every bloody week. 

--How much did we spend on our vaunted secondary last year? 100+ million in contracts?... did you see 100 million worth of talent? 

--For a team that spent 4 of our last 5 first rounders on defensive lineman... WHAT THE FCK?? Did Mo, Williams and Richardson serious just get pushed around by Icognito?  

Whats the answer? Cutting Bait?.... phasing personnel out?... trading some people?.. I thought the idea of trading Richardson was insane up until that 4th down infraction. Now, I've had it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pace needs to be gone,

We need two olbs with some speed, maybe mauldin moves to a full time starter,

Demario Davis needs to be gone.

Harris needs to be limited.

Our lbs are shi*

Interior rushers get fing stiffed by the refs as they can't see or allow holding all the time.  Most of the holding calls in this league happened when an outisde guy gets grabbed.

Pace and Davis can be let go, and I think Richardson is going to want more money than I would like to see him get. I also don't think very highly of Calvin Pryor and Cromartie should be history as well. What bothers me the most is that the team did not look fired up. Rex would have had them breathing fire coming out the door and they did not have that look. I wonder about Bowles ability to motivate the team to play with fire.

Pace needs to be gone,

We need two olbs with some speed, maybe mauldin moves to a full time starter,

Demario Davis needs to be gone.

Harris needs to be limited.

Our lbs are shi*

Interior rushers get fing stiffed by the refs as they can't see or allow holding all the time.  Most of the holding calls in this league happened when an outisde guy gets grabbed.

Our entire LBing corps needs an overhaul.

Mauldin, deemed to have a "limited ceiling" by the scouting world - ended up playing better than anyone of his coworkers. I'll start with that, and send Pace & Davis to the cleaners. Give me that Myles Jack guy. We can build something around him. 

Pace and Davis can be let go, and I think Richardson is going to want more money than I would like to see him get. I also don't think very highly of Calvin Pryor and Cromartie should be history as well. What bothers me the most is that the team did not look fired up. Rex would have had them breathing fire coming out the door and they did not have that look. I wonder about Bowles ability to motivate the team to play with fire.

bowles is still trying to fogure out how to stop sammy watkins....as i think he just caught another pass

You mean like when Rex had that Jets defense fired up to play in the AFC Championship game against the Steelers? Get real. If the coach has to fire you up to get you ready for battle in a must win NFL game, it's time to retire. 

I wonder about Bowles ability to motivate the team to play with fire.

There's not one way to motivate a team. It's discipline and responsibility that win championships on defense. See -- NE's 500 superbowls. I don't see the hoodie breathing fire down anyone's neck, do you?

Todd & Mac inherited 60% of the defensive players - and had no choice but to spend $$ on the secondary. NoW that they've had a chance to put eyes on these guys, I expect them to make adjustments. Big adjustments. 

Trade one of our Dline guys for a good young OL guy. The collection of DLine talent did not translate on the field as it should have been dominate vs run and pass consistently which it wasn't. Our oline is suspect at best as it gets older. Moving redundant dline talent to the O side would be a good thing.

We need youth, talent, and speed at LB both inside and outside. LM should be doing much better with our DLine. Pace should be gone, Harris stays as an on field coach. I don't care what happens to DD. 

Cro should be cut (boom or bust player with too much bust and not enough boom), Revis should be restructured (clearly not revis island anymore) not worth franchise qb money. Time for our multiple young and possibly talented cbs to step up. 

That's a start.

Trade one of our Dline guys for a good young OL guy. The collection of DLine talent did not translate on the field as it should have been dominate vs run and pass consistently which it wasn't. Our oline is suspect at best as it gets older. Moving redundant dline talent to the O side would be a good thing.

We need youth, talent, and speed at LB both inside and outside. LM should be doing much better with our DLine. Pace should be gone, Harris stays as an on field coach. I don't care what happens to DD. 

Cro should be cut (boom or bust player with too much bust and not enough boom), Revis should be restructured (clearly not revis island anymore) not worth franchise qb money. Time for our multiple young and possibly talented cbs to step up. 

That's a start.

Revis.. Restructure?

Overthecap.com has us with $14 million in cap room with 40 guys under contract. You know a lot of guys are getting cut or restructured.

Can one of the cap gurus doing a quick estimate of where we'll be at when some of the obvious guys are gone? (ie. Cro, Kerley, etc)

Please don't forget the worst special teams in the NFL. I'm starting a Gofundme account for Mike Westhoff, how much do you think it would take to get him back?

Why would the Jets want him back? His last few seasons were just as abysmal as this one. Takes more than one offseason for a team to build enough depth to have a solid special teams unit. If the same problems are showing up next season, then make changes. 

Sheldon has done nothing to warrant a big pay day. So he can want whatever he wants, he isn't getting it from us or anyone. Not while he is still on that rookie deal. Davis is terrible and his stupid celebration after making a tackle that gained four yards makes me sick. 

Why would the Jets want him back? His last few seasons were just as abysmal as this one. Takes more than one offseason for a team to build enough depth to have a solid special teams unit. If the same problems are showing up next season, then make changes. 

We where abysmal every week and never try to adjust anything. How many years of game tape do we need on Kerley as a punt returner to realize he can't do it? The first quarter of the game was a defensive field position battle which we'll inevitably lose every time cause we can't punt/return

We where abysmal every week and never try to adjust anything. How many years of game tape do we need on Kerley as a punt returner to realize he can't do it? The first quarter of the game was a defensive field position battle which we'll inevitably lose every time cause we can't punt/return

I don't disagree. The Jets were hamstrung by injuries and lack of return talent. It will take more than one offseason to fix. This was a 4-12 team. The house has been gutted but there are still cracks in the foundation. This is more than just a paint job. This is a restoration because the last regime treated it like Animal House. 

Tough decisions need to be made.  Ask yourself this question > Going forward, who is worth more to this team, Nick Mangold or Damon Harrison. 

Tough decisions do need to be made. How I the world you draw the conclusion that a decision needs to be made between these two specifically is a head scratcher though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did anyone else see the replay of EJ Manuel mocking the Jets defense after he drew them off sides yesterday. 

In my opinion is was a clear case of taunting he celebrated on the field and on the sidelines. 

This defense is flat and lacks any enthusiasm the very next play someone should have leveled Tyrod after seeing this.

--For a team that spent 4 of our last 5 first rounders on defensive lineman... WHAT THE FCK?? Did Mo, Williams and Richardson serious just get pushed around by Icognito?  

No, they didn't get pushed around. Bills ran the ball 43 times, and netted only 113 yards (2.6 avg). Taylor accounted for 51 of those on 10 carries. 33 carries for 62 yards by the RBs. That's under 2 yards per carry. Against the #1 rushing offense in the league.

So I'd say the D line played very strongly - lots of lines would tire late with that amount of running plays, but ours didn't.

Did anyone else see the replay of EJ Manuel mocking the Jets defense after he drew them off sides yesterday. 

In my opinion is was a clear case of taunting he celebrated on the field and on the sidelines. 

This defense is flat and lacks any enthusiasm the very next play someone should have leveled Tyrod after seeing this.

They need speed. That's what Bowles said

I think Demario is a FA next year, good as gone.  Cro is def getting cut and after him Pace.  So that is 3 of 11 starters gone.The question is on teh Dline.  Would love to have big Mo back and snacks in that order, not sure if either one will be back so that may bring us to a max of 5 new starters on the defensive side of the ball.

Archived