Todd Bowles 2 head-scratching calls stain a miracle year.

joewilly12

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — The irony is the fact that the Jets improved as much as they did — and won as often as they did — may lend a different feeling to Todd Bowles’ rookie year as a head coach than it probably required. Or deserved.

After the brutal 4-12 season of a year ago that cost Rex Ryan his job and began a massive housecleaning in Florham Park, an 8-8 season probably would have been looked at as a grand stride. A 9-7 mark probably would have been looked at as a mini-miracle.

And 10-6?

In a lot of circumstances, 10-6 would have been seen as some kind of otherworldly breakout year. But that would have been in most other years, when 10-6 would’ve likely meant a playoff berth. This time, it means the best record among the league’s 20 non-playoff teams, a dubious achievement for anyone.

And the way it happened … well, Bowles’ career may only be 16 games old. But he has to know there are some things he’ll have to answer for.

Such as: not calling a timeout late in the first half, which would have allowed the Jets one more possession before halftime.

“I didn’t think we had enough time,” he explained after the 22-17 loss, “and they were at fourth-and-2, and we didn’t want to give them a chance to think it over too much.”

Such as: Chris Ivory only carrying the ball six times — one of which was a 58-yard dash — while Stevan Ridley carried nine times.

“Part of the game plan,” he said.

Such as: With everything on the line, how could the Jets come through with their smallest effort of the season, especially early in the game?

“We didn’t get it done, and we had some chances to make some plays,” Bowles said. “We didn’t make enough plays and they did. All we asked for was opportunity, and we didn’t take advantage of it. We knew it would be one of these types of ballgames.”

So Bowles’ maiden campaign ends at 10-6, which is the same mark Eric Mangini had as a rookie coach in 2006 (which was good enough to make the playoffs) and a game better than both Ryan in 2009 and Herman Edwards in 2001, when 9-7 was good enough for both to make the playoffs.

It actually seems unfair that Bowles will now be lumped with both Al Groh (9-7 in his only season, 2000) and Bill Parcells (9-7 in his first year, 1997), but Bowles was unbowed, even at the reality that double-digit wins wasn’t enough to get his team in the dance.

“You’ve got to win enough to get in,” he said. “It means we’ll have to win 11 or 12 next year.

“Any loss stings. Because it’s the last loss, it’ll stay with you as a team.”

And, no doubt, as a coach.

This is the biggest question of the day Ivory reeled off a long run and was immediately on the sidelines he looked way more effective than Ridley did. 

Such as: Chris Ivory only carrying the ball six times — one of which was a 58-yard dash — while Stevan Ridley carried nine times.

“Part of the game plan,” he said.

Why was the game plan to run Ridley instead of Ivory?  Why did we only run the ball 15 times? Still wondering the morning after. 

Biggest head scratcher of the whole game.  Ridley coming into the game had like 44 touches for 48 yards and he was the game plan in a win and in scenario?

The time outs before the end of the half, he's be screwing that up all season long.  This was not the first time he conceded points in the first half by not using his timeouts. 

Why was the game plan to run Ridley instead of Ivory?  Why did we only run the ball 15 times? Still wondering the morning after. 

Why Ridley over Ivory, I can't answer that.  Why only 15 times?  Because BUF had the ball for 40 minutes of the game.  There were many reasons that contributed to this loss, but if you really wanted to isolate one thing it's the fact that our 3rd down efficiency was atrocious.  Whether it was Revis or Bowles, we spent just about every drive going 1st down run for 1 or 2, 2nd down run for 1 or 2, 3rd down pass to Watkins for 10 yards.  Every singe time.  Every friggin single time.  There was one point in the game where we had them at 3rd and 2, I was relieve because it meant BUF might actually try to run for the first down instead of pass it to Watkins.  When field position turned in the first half and we scored early in the second quarter I thought we would have turned it around, having both the 2nd and 3rd quarter to really pour it on with the wind.  BUF proceeded to run a 10 minute drive on us, into the wind.  That was atrocious. 

Biggest head scratcher of the whole game.  Ridley coming into the game had like 44 touches for 48 yards and he was the game plan in a win and in scenario?

The time outs before the end of the half, he's be screwing that up all season long.  This was not the first time he conceded points in the first half by not using his timeouts. 

Ridley over Ivory is a mystery to me; sounds like he is covering for Chan, but who knows.

He explained the timeouts at half during his presser.  He was concerned with the starting position that he would give Buffalo another possession in scoring position.  Considering how our O and D and especially our punting was going, I can't argue too much on that one.

Powell keeps guys from sticking their nose in the backfield, Ivory & Ridley (2 Backs with bricks for hands) invite 8/9 in the box. Not having Powell made Rex job easy, he knows we never run left (Dbrick sucks at run blocking & he knows it), so it's easy to scheme to stop our run game & he's got Darius to do it. We had just that one run by Ivory, every other run was like 1/2/3 yards a clip. Bottom line, Powell was really missed! You remember that shovel pass to Enunwa that he dropped? Yea, that's a Bilal play for a TD most likely. 

Ivory was asked if he was healthy, if he was limited due to injury after the game on SNY and he never answered.  
Guessing thats an answer

Ivory was asked if he was healthy, if he was limited due to injury after the game on SNY and he never answered.  Guessing thats an answer

Ivory should have been the go to RB healthy or not he's better than Ridley even injured he reeled off a long run and was immediately back on the sidelines,something tells me he and Bowles had an issue. My guess to be continued or we might never know the truth. 

Ivory should have been the go to RB healthy or not he's better than Ridley even injured he reeled off a long run and was immediately back on the sidelines,something tells me he and Bowles had an issue. My guess to be continued or we might never know the truth. 

Something tells me youre guessing and picked the one guess that makes the least amount of sense.  

If Ivory was 100% he wouldnt have ignored the question and not given anything up

Well you can say that about any and every story unless youre a part of it.  

in my opinion something else had to happen for ivory our #1 RB to be sitting not he sidelines yesterday and often used Ridley getting the bulk of the carries Bowles responding part of the game plan leaves me questioning his decision as  a head coach with what was at stake on the line yesterday. 

in my opinion something else had to happen for ivory our #1 RB to be sitting not he sidelines yesterday and often used Ridley getting the bulk of the carries Bowles responding part of the game plan leaves me questioning his decision as  a head coach with what was at stake on the line yesterday. 

Something on top of being injured?  Thats a reach.  If hes injured he can't be expected to handle his usual load.  

All these teams with vacancies should just come to this board for their next coach,.  We have great coaches here for the right price.

Not sure who you meant, but I would take the job.  2 million a year for 3 years.  I will get the tattoo and the truck too; F - they jets; then I could retire (and go back to being a Jets fan).

6 carries 81 yards a 58 yard run ok he was injured.

5 carries for 23 says he may have been.

Why the **** are you arguing.  Call up Ivory and b1tch to him.  Im telling you what he and others hinted at after the game.  Ivorys never been a pussy who blames injury, which is probably why he said nothing

Why the **** are you arguing.  Call up Ivory and b1tch to him.  Im telling you what he and others hinted at after the game.  Ivorys never been a pussy who blames injury, which is probably why he said nothing

still over 4 yards a carry if your numbers are correct.

Ivory: "I let my coach (RB coach Marcel Shipp) know I was fine...I felt like I was moving good enough for it to be seen." #NYJ

Bowles: Ivory had a sore knee, but he says the Jets had packages for Ridley specific for the Buffalo game. Tried to have a 1-2 punch.

So they game planned specifically for Ridley? I get that. But when it's not working and your #1 is good to go you have to adjust. Ridley needs to be a worst case scenario.

Ivory had 6 carries for 81 yards yesterday.

Ivory: "I let my coach (RB coach Marcel Shipp) know I was fine...I felt like I was moving good enough for it to be seen." #NYJ

Bowles: Ivory had a sore knee, but he says the Jets had packages for Ridley specific for the Buffalo game. Tried to have a 1-2 punch.

So they game planned specifically for Ridley? I get that. But when it's not working and your #1 is good to go you have to adjust. Ridley needs to be a worst case scenario.

So bad.  It's a win and in game and they're playing ******* games with Stevan Ridley and his 44 touches for 48 yards.

WOW

Any coach who thinks Ridley should have been the go to guy in a must win game yesterday should be fired. 

I see why he was the plan because Ivory and Powell were banged up but when your guy is healthy you play him. Ivory had 29 snaps and Ridley had 25 so if he was healthy enough to run routes or block he should have been carrying the ball more. It's not like he was on the sideline all day. I like our coaching staff but I'm just not thrilled with how they handled the game.

At halftime he needed to adjust and put revis up on Watkins.  If he beat revis deep so be it, but the slow death was worse.  I actually think it would have been better to play up in his face when we were down 2 win 10 minutes to go and take the risk of going down 9 then let them control the ball for 6:30 and go up 5. 

Archived