Sheldon Richardson Says "I'll Miss This Team" I say....

SoFlaJets

good friggin' riddance A-hole

Sheldon Richardson says 'it's just not realistic' for Jets to keep defensive line together

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Jets defensive end Sheldon Richardson said after Sunday's season-ending, 22-17 loss at the Bills that he expects offseason changes to the team's formidable defensive line. 

"I'll miss this team," he said. "No one knows what the offseason is going to bring." 

He said the potential change was on his mind immediately after the game. 

"Yeah, it is," he said in the postgame locker room. "Just can't keep everybody on this defensive line. It's just not realistic. Guys out-played their contracts. I'm going to miss them. We grew up together, pretty much, in the league. They helped me through a hard time in my life. So it's just going to be tough." 

Richardson presumably was referring to his trouble-filled July, when the NFL slapped him with a four-game marijuana suspension, and he was arrested following a high-speed chase with police that could result in an additional suspension next season. 

Though Richardson is under contract through 2016 — but really, 2017, since the Jets can pick up the fifth-year option in his rookie deal — the Jets must determine what to do with end Muhammad Wilkerson and nose tackle Damon Harrison. 

Can the Jets pay to keep both players? Will they have the salary cap space? 

They are both scheduled to be unrestricted free agents, but the Jets can always apply the franchise tag to Wilkerson, in order to retain his rights for another year. Though that would be a costly move (about a $16 million salary cap hit).

Tagging Wilkerson could also provide a baseline for long-term contract negotiations — as well as a summer deadline for finalizing a deal.  

While Richardson just finished Year 3, Wilkerson completed his fifth season, Harrison his fourth. Wilkerson and Harrison are among the best players at their positions in the NFL. But the Jets do have a promising end, Leonard Williams, who impressed during his rookie season in 2015. 

Wilkerson sustained a broken leg in Sunday's loss at the Bills. But if it's a standard broken leg, it shouldn't be a devastating enough injury to significantly impact his contractual future, though it might limit the Jets' options if they want to trade Wilkerson. Richardson didn't have much to say Sunday about Wilkerson's future. 

"Time will tell all, so we'll see" he said. He's going to bounce back [from the leg injury], I'm sure. I'm not really too much concerned about that. I'm just concerned that he gets healthy as fast as possible. Whatever happens happens.

In a 3-4 defense the least important part of the equason is a DL that really can't rush the passer anyway even when all 4 of them are out there. The job of 3-4 DL is to occupy blockers to free things up for the LB's they are probably the most expendable unit on the defense. In that respect the most important part of that unit right now is Damion Harrison because healthy nose tackles are not easy to find and he's one of the best. Next in line is Wilkerson  unless of course you think the rookie Williams can put up the numbers Wilk puts up and I don't think he can but his contract says he's gonna be here for a while. If you want to run a dominant 3-4 it starts with the LB's and the prototype 3-4 defense was the NY Giants of the 80's every year they drafted LB's and every year they had a great defense. When you can Field guys like Taylor, Carson, Banks, and Reasons then just keep adding guys like Pepper Johnson when Carson retired you're doing something right. You spend the money on the LB's and the Secondary . If the LB's are fast, they can rush the passer making things easier for the Secondary while also opening things up for the DL to rush the passer which is just as good as occupying. So what Sheldon is saying is 100 percent correct no matter how much you don't want to hear it its a fact. Wilkerson will probably be gone as much as I hate to say it.

Sheldon is an idiot but now is not the time to trade him before another possible suspension his value will be too low

I'd be letting people know Richardson is available for the right price. He's trouble, time to cut ties & get something for him. Everyone keeps extolling this Dline, other than stopping the run, we let a guy get off the couch & beat us! Please stop with the GREAT DLINE bullsh*t.

St.Louis has a great Dline & they had a loser season. Jets need to keep building the offense & get some younger LBs in here. Steelers defense sucks but we'll be watching them in the playoffs while Sheldon is back with his homies.

Sheldon is an idiot but now is not the time to trade him before another possible suspension his value will be too low

Let's face it; he is right.  Maybe he was wrong to say it, but he showed true emotions on the loss, likely missing teammates, and the injury to Mo.  But, yeah, let's toss him out with the trash.

I'd be letting people know Richardson is available for the right price. He's trouble, time to cut ties & get something for him. Everyone keeps extolling this Dline, other than stopping the run, we let a guy get off the couch & beat us! Please stop with the GREAT DLINE bullsh*t.

St.Louis has a great Dline & they had a loser season. Jets need to keep building the offense & get some younger LBs in here. Steelers defense sucks but we'll be watching them in the playoffs while Sheldon is back with his homies.

more than that, he'll be a FA himself in 2 seasons that'll go by before you know it. Plus it's unknown how many games he's going to play next year or if he can stay out of trouble after that. If he's worth re-signing at the end of 2 years he's going to be a headache to re-sign, assuming he doesn't hold out before that. Between the two of them, it looks like re-sign Wilkerson and hope the broken leg knocks $1M off his demand price (whatever that starting point is/was), or let Sheldon play out his rookie deal and find his replacement for the 2018 season and beyond. But one of them should be traded. We can't force-feed all 3 of them onto the field again by putting Sheldon back out there at OLB. 

Worst scenario of all for next year is Wilkerson just heads to FA without getting tagged, and all we get is a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2017, then Richardson gets hit with an 8 game suspension for 2016. 

well, having 17 top tier DL doesn't seem to get us anywhere anyway... i think we should be able to pair a couple of our top DL with some other mid-range guys like Douzable, and get results, and in the process turn the surplus we have at DL into improvement across the rest of the roster.

we need a new LT, a RB, QB, more receivers, and linebackers!!!

He's right.  It is sad.  This team will look different next season, no doubt.  Mac has a lot of in house decisions to make and the DL is a big piece.

Its why not getting in the post season sucks so bad too.  The truth is, the Jets could easily take a step back from a talent and record perspective next season.

more than that, he'll be a FA himself in 2 seasons that'll go by before you know it. Plus it's unknown how many games he's going to play next year or if he can stay out of trouble after that. If he's worth re-signing at the end of 2 years he's going to be a headache to re-sign, assuming he doesn't hold out before that. Between the two of them, it looks like re-sign Wilkerson and hope the broken leg knocks $1M off his demand price (whatever that starting point is/was), or let Sheldon play out his rookie deal and find his replacement for the 2018 season and beyond. But one of them should be traded. We can't force-feed all 3 of them onto the field again by putting Sheldon back out there at OLB. 

Worst scenario of all for next year is Wilkerson just heads to FA without getting tagged, and all we get is a 3rd round compensatory pick in 2017, then Richardson gets hit with an 8 game suspension for 2016. 

Didn't we just cut a DL who was playing OLB?  Oh yea Coples. Only Rex does stupid crap like putting a DL at OLB.  Rex you have met your match.  Sheldon is a disaster waiting to happen. Trade him NOW and get picks for him. He will be a total headache when its time to resign him.  I would even move MO for picks and use that cash to get a Von Miller type LB.  Have we ever had a guy like that? Snacks, Douz and Williams are a nice core to work from.   

It's great to have a decidedly above-average 3-4 DE but really, having 2 of them (never mind 3 of them) is just poor resource allocation on a team with a base 3 man line no matter what is tried to get them all out there together.

Guys like that are not quick enough to put 4 across and get around linemen to get to the passer consistently. Even if they are good enough to go through offensive linemen rather than around, which they are by talent, the league is clearly going to allow enough OL holding against them to nullify their bull rush ability most of the time.

If that's the case, and it certainly has been, then make it Sheldon, Williams, and Snacks (unless he demands like $8M per), and let Wilk go. He just isn't worth $15M-ish when we already have Sheldon & Williams signed for less than half that combined for a couple more seasons (or half of one season before Sheldon holds out in the 2017 preseason). Not what I want to do in an ideal situation, because Wilk truly is my favorite (and easily the most reliable) of the 3 but that's the bed that gets made when you use the #6 pick in the country on another 3-4 DE.

Didn't we just cut a DL who was playing OLB?  Oh yea Coples. Only Rex does stupid crap like putting a DL at OLB.  Rex you have met your match.  Sheldon is a disaster waiting to happen. Trade him NOW and get picks for him. He will be a total headache when its time to resign him.  I would even move MO for picks and use that cash to get a Von Miller type LB.  Have we ever had a guy like that? Snacks, Douz and Williams are a nice core to work from.   

Sheldon was a nightmare at holding the edge.  The one good thing Coples provided.  haha

Rex and now Bowles with Sheldon playing some OLB.. Bowles said in a interview Sheldon is his most versatile player that can play anywhere.. Well not DB..LOL  

how is anything he is saying wrong?

In the twitter age, every statement is twisted by people like the OP. He didn't say he was gone or that he wanted to be gone, he just said that he didn't think the Jets could keep Snacks/himself/Wilk/Williams at the prices some would command. He was sad that the group was going to be split up and for that he gets bashed? 

He's right.  It is sad.  This team will look different next season, no doubt.  Mac has a lot of in house decisions to make and the DL is a big piece.

Its why not getting in the post season sucks so bad too.  The truth is, the Jets could easily take a step back from a talent and record perspective next season.

Every team can.

Every team can.

Absolutely.  Though teams with a franchise QB tend to have pretty similar seasons year in year out.  Which the Jets dont.

The other thing which this article is talking about is that the Jets have a ton of inhouse decisions to make.  I cant act like I know every other team but Id imagine they've got more inhouse work to do than most teams with 10 wins. 

In the twitter age, every statement is twisted by people like the OP. He didn't say he was gone or that he wanted to be gone, he just said that he didn't think the Jets could keep Snacks/himself/Wilk/Williams at the prices some would command. He was sad that the group was going to be split up and for that he gets bashed? 

I can bash whoever I want to bash-especially if it's selfish stupid me-firster who probably singlehandedly cost the Jets a couple of games WITH his stupidity which BTW includes him NOT being available for the 1st quarter of the season and then when he DID come back not being ready to contribute. So nothing was "twisted" I know what was said and how it was meant, I just chose to interpret the statement into me wanting the team to try and trade his goldbrickin' ass

The funny thing about his comments is I hope they were just in the context that he'll miss these guys, because before the season started there was the obligatory, "this could be the best Dline in the league" rhetoric, which again turned out to be complete bullsh*t! Tyrod Taylor was as comfortable as a baby yesterday, completing 50% off his passes on 3rd down vs the scariest Dline in football & our 100 million $ secondary,lol. No one is safe & guys like Mo were manhandled by a team like Houston? Everything in football is relative, Mo had 12 sacks, someone do the research vs which teams? Were they beat up like the Pats Oline playing 85% backups? I like Mo, I just think he's WAY OVERATED!

The funny thing about his comments is I hope they were just in the context that he'll miss these guys, because before the season started there was the obligatory, "this could be the best Dline in the league" rhetoric, which again turned out to be complete bullsh*t! Tyrod Taylor was as comfortable as a baby yesterday, completing 50% off his passes on 3rd down vs the scariest Dline in football & our 100 million $ secondary,lol. No one is safe & guys like Mo were manhandled by a team like Houston? Everything in football is relative, Mo had 12 sacks, someone do the research vs which teams? Were they beat up like the Pats Oline playing 85% backups? I like Mo, I just think he's WAY OVERATED!

I like him also but when people say he's right behind Watt it makes me laugh..:rolleyes:  In a big game Shaun Ellis would show up Mo not so much.. And I'm not counting guys like Klecko,Philbin or any other good D-lineman in Jet history..

Absolutely.  Though teams with a franchise QB tend to have pretty similar seasons year in year out.  Which the Jets dont.

The other thing which this article is talking about is that the Jets have a ton of inhouse decisions to make.  I cant act like I know every other team but Id imagine they've got more inhouse work to do than most teams with 10 wins. 

Agreed. Though teams like the Colts, Chargers, Giants, Ravens, Falcons, and Saints this year were a surprise. I feel fortunate that we had a better season that many of these teams, and really wanted us to win yesterday... but there was a part of me that was prepared for this.

Agreed. Though teams like the Colts, Chargers, Giants, Ravens, Falcons, and Saints this year were a surprise. I feel fortunate that we had a better season that many of these teams, and really wanted us to win yesterday... but there was a part of me that was prepared for this.

we're Jets fans there is always a part of us that's ready for this

Only Rex... and Todd Bowles.

That is a fact of NFL life. The team that was one year is not the same the next. I could live without Sheldon Richardson. As good a player as he is the Jets have needs in other areas that are more important.

Let me guess, was it the part of you that is a Jets fan?

Archived