Jets in Win and In games

nyjunc

I see a lot of talk about how we always fail in win and in games, the reality is we have only lost 4 times in our history.  yes they are painful and we remember them but 4 times in almost 60 years isn't terrible.  see below for our history of win and in games. 

1981 week 16 vs. Green bay: Jets win 28-3, make playoffs

1985 week 16 vs. Cleveland: Jets win 37-10, make playoffs

1991 week 17 at Miami: Jets win 23-20(ot), make playoffs.  this was like a playoff to get to playoffs as winner made it and loser was out

1993 week 18 at Houston: Jets lose 24-0

1997 week 17 at Detroit: Jets lose 13-10

2000 week 17 at Baltimore: Jets lose 34-20

2002 week 17 vs. Green Bay: Jets win 42-17, win division(I included this b/c by the 2nd qtr we knew Miami lost and it was win and in though we needed help going into the day)

2006 week 17 vs. Oakland: Jets win 23-3, make playoffs

2009 week 17 vs. Cincinnati: Jets win 37-0, make playoffs

2015 week 17 at Buffalo: Jets lose 22-17

Overall 6-4.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets were much better at MetLife this season, 7-2 (including Giants) 1-0 neutral(Dolphins), 2-3 in true road games.

Edit feature was not available:

The Jets were much better at MetLife this season, 7-2 (including Giants) 1-0 neutral(Dolphins), 2-4 in true road games.

That Jets win forced the Raiders to play in Foxboro instead of Oakland in the playoffs.

Clutch 53-yarder by John Hall.

The rest is history.

we set up that run for you.

1)not out Bledsoe, BB's job was on the line and he would have gone to Brady sooner than later but even a few more weeks and few more losses w/o Brady would have postponed the dynasty.

2)we blew that game in December at the meadolands.  we dominated the first half but kept settling for Fgs and blew it in the 2nd half.

3)we lost at home to an awful Bills team which handed the division to you

4)we beat oak which gave you the bye

2004 - lost to Rams, but backdoored in because Bills lost to Steelers backups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that was not win and in, if it was we would have missed the playoffs.  No such thing as backdoor, you either win the amount required to make it or you don't.

You can also add:

1985 vs Cleveland at Home. (win)

that one was in the original list.

we set up that run for you.

1)not out Bledsoe, BB's job was on the line and he would have gone to Brady sooner than later but even a few more weeks and few more losses w/o Brady would have postponed the dynasty.

2)we blew that game in December at the meadolands.  we dominated the first half but kept settling for Fgs and blew it in the 2nd half.

3)we lost at home to an awful Bills team which handed the division to you

4)we beat oak which gave you the bye

that was not win and in, if it was we would have missed the playoffs.  No such thing as backdoor, you either win the amount required to make it or you don't.

that one was in the original list.

How is it not win and in? If that were the case, Sundays game wasnt a win and in either.

How is it not win and in? If that were the case, Sundays game wasnt a win and in either.

if we won Sunday we would have been in, in 2004 we LOST week 17 and made it so clearly it wasn't a win and in game or we wouldn't have made it.

if we won Sunday we would have been in, in 2004 we LOST week 17 and made it so clearly it wasn't a win and in game or we wouldn't have made it.

It was the same exact situation. We just didnt get lucky this year like we did in 04. Controlling your own destiny in week 17 = win and in.This isnt difficult.

It was the same exact situation. We just didnt get lucky this year like we did in 04. Controlling your own destiny in week 17 = win and in.This isnt difficult.

but we lost and made it.  we also have to remember that was an OT game and we kicked from 55 yds or so in OT w/ a mediocre K when we knew Buf had lost and we were in.  that decision set up GE FG for SL, if Buf hadn't lost we don't kick and it was late in OT.  a tie gets us in POs and we would have tried to pin them deep.  situations were very different. 

You are confusing two separate things: "Win-and-in" and "Lose-and-Out".

"win and in" does not necessarily imply "lose-and-out".  You can have a game that is "win-and-in" even though the team could still lose and back in.  That scenario does not nullify that it was a win-and-in game.

but we lost and made it.  we also have to remember that was an OT game and we kicked from 55 yds or so in OT w/ a mediocre K when we knew Buf had lost and we were in.  that decision set up GE FG for SL, if Buf hadn't lost we don't kick and it was late in OT.  a tie gets us in POs and we would have tried to pin them deep.  situations were very different. 

Yes, and we could have lost and made it this year as well. It was the same exact situation. The outcomes were just different.

You are confusing two separate things: "Win-and-in" and "Lose-and-Out".

"win and in" does not necessarily imply "lose-and-out".  You can have a game that is "win-and-in" even though the team could still lose and back in.  That scenario does not nullify that it was a win-and-in game.

my criteria is win and in or lose and out.  sorry for confusion.

I see a lot of talk about how we always fail in win and in games, the reality is we have only lost 4 times in our history.  yes they are painful and we remember them but 4 times in almost 60 years isn't terrible.  see below for our history of win and in games. 

1981 week 16 vs. Green bay: Jets win 28-3, make playoffs

1985 week 16 vs. Cleveland: Jets win 37-10, make playoffs

1991 week 17 at Miami: Jets win 23-20(ot), make playoffs.  this was like a playoff to get to playoffs as winner made it and loser was out

1993 week 18 at Houston: Jets lose 24-0

1997 week 17 at Detroit: Jets lose 13-10

2000 week 17 at Baltimore: Jets lose 34-20

2002 week 17 vs. Green Bay: Jets win 42-17, win division(I included this b/c by the 2nd qtr we knew Miami lost and it was win and in though we needed help going into the day)

2006 week 17 vs. Oakland: Jets win 23-3, make playoffs

2009 week 17 vs. Cincinnati: Jets win 37-0, make playoffs

2015 week 17 at Buffalo: Jets lose 22-17

Overall 6-4.

Dude, you're missing a few games during that timespan. 

You need to stop arguing this, you're wrong. 

The Jets lost to the Bills on Sunday, but if the Steelers would have LOST to the Browns then the Jets would have backed into the playoffs. Its the SAME SCENARIO like in 2004. 

In 2004 the Jets LOST to the Rams but backed in because the Bills lost to the Steelers. 

The bottomline is that in 2004 the Jets controlled their destiny and lost. They only got into the playoffs with help. 

Its the same scenario yet you have the 2015 Jets on the list but not the 2004 Jets. 

You need to stop arguing this, you're wrong. 

The Jets lost to the Bills on Sunday, but if the Steelers would have LOST to the Browns then the Jets would have backed into the playoffs. Its the SAME SCENARIO like in 2004. 

In 2004 the Jets LOST to the Rams but backed in because the Bills lost to the Steelers. 

It is not the same.  AGAIN, Buf had lost while we were still playing in a tie game.  we attempted a 50+ yd Fg w/ a mediocre K which set up SL's GW FG.  we would not have kicked it if Buf hadn't lost.

just to clarify these were games that if we won we made it and if we lost we missed.

nyjunc, 

Thanks for this post and bringing me back to reality. I guess the loss hit me harder than most because of my dislike of Rex Ryan and I really wanted this game. SOJ is a simplimatic way of expressing disappointment, so I'll be climbing down off that bridge now.

It is not the same.  AGAIN, Buf had lost while we were still playing in a tie game.  we attempted a 50+ yd Fg w/ a mediocre K which set up SL's GW FG.  we would not have kicked it if Buf hadn't lost.

just to clarify these were games that if we won we made it and if we lost we missed.

Its the same. If the steelers would have lost to the Browns the Jets would be IN the playoffs. Its the exact same scenario like in 2004. The Jets lost but this time the team that we needed help from lost their game and we backed in because of it. If the Steelers would have lost against the Browns on Sunday the Jets would have STILL lost a week 17 "Win and you're in" game when they controlled their own destiny. 

Its the same thing. 

Its the same. If the steelers would have lost to the Browns the Jets would be IN the playoffs. Its the exact same scenario like in 2004. The Jets lost but this time the team that we needed help from lost their game and we backed in because of it. If the Steelers would have lost against the Browns on Sunday the Jets would have STILL lost a week 17 "Win and you're in" game when they controlled their own destiny. 

Its the same thing. 

It is NOT the same.  it would have been the same if we were tied late in the game or in OT w/ Buffalo and we found out Pitt had lost.  then it would have been the same.

I remember that game well Cumar's suger daddy Hackett gave Jordon 1 carry he went 46 yds for a TD and never saw the ball again..Back to the bench you ingrate how dare you show up my pookie..:P

I remember when everyone was saying how great lamont would be if he was a #1, we saw how that ended.  nice backup though.

Archived