2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?

Warfish

2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 -- Who Do You Want To Start at QB?

• Ryan Fitzpatrick
    • Geno Smith
    • Bryce Petty
    • Mike Glennon (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • Zach Mettenberger (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • Colin Kaepernick (Requires Trade/Cost)
    • 2016 NFL Draft - 1st Round Draft Pick (Name Them Please)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitz by a country mile! I want continuity, that's what wins in this league. Jets come back in same system, with some fresh RBs, and a more solid hands catching 3rd WR, (should have drafted Matthews, would have been PERFECT as a 3 with Marshall & Decker), shore up the Oline & special teams and try to win 10 again.

If Drew Brees is not available, there is no better option available to us than Fitzpatrick.  It's all fine and good to say we need a guy with a higher ceiling.  It's a true statement I won't dispute.  But until that guy comes available, why throw away a perfectly good QB already on the roster?  Isn't that very similar to the "a bird in the hand...." phrase?  Fitz was an above average QB last season even when you factor in the WR's he was throwing to.  Meaning no, not just ANY guy will do well with Marshall and Decker, as much as people like to parrot this statement around.

We can still continue our search for a franchise QB while starting Fitz.  Even if we draft a QB in round 1, Fitz provides a bridge until that guy is ready.  We've said for years we don't want to force rookie QB's onto the field anymore.  Fitz prevents that from being a necessity.

Fitz by a country mile! I want continuity, that's what wins in this league. Jets come back in same system, with some fresh RBs, and a more solid hands catching 3rd WR, (should have drafted Matthews, would have been PERFECT as a 3 with Marshall & Decker), shore up the Oline & special teams and try to win 10 again.

Matthews?  Who is Matthews?  You mean Jordan Matthews?  He was gone before we picked in the 2nd last year.  We didn't have Marshall then.  We couldn't pick him in the 2nd without moving up.  If you wanted to take him in the first instead of Pryor wouldn't you have to consider Cooks, Benjamin, Bridgewater, Carr, etc? 

If Drew Brees is not available, there is no better option available to us than Fitzpatrick.  It's all fine and good to say we need a guy with a higher ceiling.  It's a true statement I won't dispute.  But until that guy comes available, why throw away a perfectly good QB already on the roster?  Isn't that very similar to the "a bird in the hand...." phrase?  Fitz was an above average QB last season even when you factor in the WR's he was throwing to.  Meaning no, not just ANY guy will do well with Marshall and Decker, as much as people like to parrot this statement around.

We can still continue our search for a franchise QB while starting Fitz.  Even if we draft a QB in round 1, Fitz provides a bridge until that guy is ready.  We've said for years we don't want to force rookie QB's onto the field anymore.  Fitz prevents that from being a necessity.

Throw away is pretty strong, but when you consider some of the numbers being thrown around here there are plenty of reasons not to have him back.

Fitzpatrick unless Petty wins out the starting job.

This is the first time in a long time we have had a receiver/QB tandem that works. We should give it a second year and let the front office work on other aspects of the roster.

Exactly.  The passing game was pretty much the biggest strength of the team on a consistent basis this season.  How long has it been since that was the case?  Get some athleticism at RB and LB, build up the offensive line, and figure out what to do with Wilkerson and Snacks.  No need to really fix something that isn't broken if we don't have to.

Throw away is pretty strong, but when you consider some of the numbers being thrown around here there are plenty of reasons not to have him back.

Unless you count every dollar as a "reason", then the ONLY reason he shouldn't be brought back is if he asks for too much money.  Pretty simple. 

No complaints about Fitz this year.. but if the #s of close to $10M a year are true, I'm hoping the Saints cut Brees to save $20M and that we make a run for him. Yeah, he'd be a much more expensive, older stopgap.. but he's a guy who can put a team on his back (as long as it's not in Buffalo in Dec)

Fitz as a year 2 starter can be / should be / better be >>> Fitz as our year 1 starter

Advantages - healthy, full offseason with the surrounding cast incl. coaches, definite starter (barring getting punched out by a team mate), continuity / chemistry / all those other "intangibles".

Possible upsides - better talent to work with beyond the big 2 (either from new players or development of existing players), better support from running game, better D so not needing to chase games late etc ... not in Fitz's control, but feasible for the FO / coaching staff to achieve

Possible outcomes - doesn't work out, we move on to Plan B (Petty) or Plan C (tbc) OR works out and we finally make the damned play-offs (anything beyond that is gravy as far as I'm concerned). IMHO it's not like hitching our wagon to Fitz next year sets us back 5 years if it doesn't work out.

Whoever has proven to be the best man and is still standing after a fierce training camp battle and pre season showing ? You have to earn your playing time, is what we were told and it led to a 10 win season ?  Why mess with a philosophy that has proven to work in the short term .  Fitzpatrick starts the off-season if he returns as the clear cup #1 QB followed by Geno Smith, who is under contract and cost us more to get rid of than to keep prior to the June 1st cut  .  Bryce Petty the neophyte would be challenger to the thrown either proves that he's a serious  contender or watches and sweats alongside Geno Smith as the Rookie draft pick at their position gets his shot as challenger to the thrown .

Going into next season, the Jets should have either 4 QBs on the 53 man roster  or 1 of the 4 on the practice or on injured reserved with a mysterious injury no one saw, keeping him away from practice squad raiders . 

The ideal scenario is for Petty to have developed to the point where he's ready to take over. If he still isn't ready to go, then Fitz should be the guy. 

This is the correct answer.  Though in the above instance, since we would need to have the ink dry on Fitz's new contract by March 12th, I don't think anyone is going to advocate Petty being elevated to starter without another camp under his belt.  Meaning Fitz would be named the Week 1 starter, with the play of both him and Petty determining who FINISHES the season.

This is a no-brainer. If Petty is starting, it's because he beat Fitz out and is now a legitimate NFL QB who has the skills this team needs to win games. 

If Fitz starts, it means another season of ups and downs with a mediocre end result.

If Geno starts, it's because Petty failed and Fitz is hurt. 

Pray for the first.

This is a no-brainer. If Petty is starting, it's because he beat Fitz out and is now a legitimate NFL QB who has the skills this team needs to win games. 

If Fitz starts, it means another season of ups and downs with a mediocre end result.

If Geno starts, it's because Petty failed and Fitz is hurt. 

Pray for the first.

If Geno starts, it's because Romo is hurt again.

Fitz - the chemistry that he's built with Marshall and Decker is undeniable.

I would consider trading for a guy like Mettenberger or Glennn or drafting one if the coaching staff isn't buying into Petty. If one of those guys clearly outplays Fitz then great but Fitz should be the guy going forward unless somebody forces him out.

I'm a huge believer in chemistry and Fitz has it with Gailey, Marshall & Decker.  Also this is a "win now" team and I am not banking on a 4th round second year QB to step in and take over just yet.  As far acquiring a QB vis trade, I'm not sure how realistic or likely that is to occur. 

Fitzpatrick unless Petty wins out the starting job.

This is the first time in a long time we have had a receiver/QB tandem that works. We should give it a second year and let the front office work on other aspects of the roster.

works against the worst teams in the NFL maybe but I'd like to take a chance for something more than being a limited mediocre team. Fitz left way too many points on the field 

works against the worst teams in the NFL maybe but I'd like to take a chance for something more than being a limited mediocre team. Fitz left way too many points on the field 

11th in the league in points. Only team in the NFL to score at least 2 offensive touchdowns in every single game.

But, yeah. "way too many".

11th in the league in points. Only team in the NFL to score at least 2 offensive touchdowns in every single game.

But, yeah. "way too many".

if you're impressed by padded stats in blowout games against garbage teams then sure, but some of us want to see more than that. Plus with the amount of takeaways the jets defense served fitz on a silver platter they should have been at least a top 10 team in scoring

I want the winner of a legitimate QB competition to start. Of the QBs currently on the roster, Fitz would be the odds on favorite to win that competition, but I still want them to have it. 

And then I want them to have a second QB on the roster they believe in if that winner gets hurt or falters. If they don't see Petty as part of that two man operation, they should draft a QB high - meaning first or second round. If they do believe in the Petty project, then they might as well hold onto Geno as an inexpensive, experienced backup who knows their system. If they draft a QB, then Geno is undoubtedly the odd man out. I mean - unless they think Petty is terrible. 

I want the winner of a legitimate QB competition to start. Of the QBs currently on the roster, Fitz would be the odds on favorite to win that competition, but I still want them to have it. 

And then I want them to have a second QB on the roster they believe in if that winner gets hurt or falters. If they don't see Petty as part of that two man operation, they should draft a QB high - meaning first or second round. If they do believe in the Petty project, then they might as well hold onto Geno as an inexpensive, experienced backup who knows their system. If they draft a QB, then Geno is undoubtedly the odd man out. I mean - unless they think Petty is terrible. 

there will not be a competition, Fitz walks in as 2016 starter.  no doubt about it(barring injury of course).

if you're impressed by padded stats in blowout games against garbage teams then sure, but some of us want to see more than that. Plus with the amount of takeaways the jets defense served fitz on a silver platter they should have been at least a top 10 team in scoring

Defense never scored this year. All of the points came from the offense. So, yeah. It was a top ten scoring offense. 

Archived