Feeling Great about our Long Term Future. Feeling Sorry for Buffalo.

Shockwave

I think most of us knew this game was going to be tough. It was literally the perfect storm of everything going wrong for us and right for Buffalo. But what I feared the most about this game was the Rex Ryan affect. Why? Because this is a guy that folds under pressure, Can't Coach for his life and will never be in the playoffs again. Games like this last one was his Super Bowl. Fans of the draft know about this because every year our team would be terrible when it counted but we would play our best ball after elimination. Sure Calvin Pryor is okay but Odell Beckham would have been amazing. Or Maybe Aaron Donald? Did you guys forget 2013?

Did the Buffalo game remind anyone of our last game of the year in 2013 ? All Miami had to do was win and they get in remember? 

The Jets announced they are bringing head coach Rex Ryan back for at least one more season after Sunday’s 20-7 victory over the Dolphins at Sun Life Stadium — and the Jets players celebrated.

Owner Woody Johnson told the team in the victorious locker room Ryan would return. The players began jumping around and surrounded Ryan, giving him hugs that knocked his hat off.

“You’d think we won the Super Bowl,” quarterback Geno Smith said. Before the game, the players said they wanted to win the game for Ryan.

“We’re clearly on the ascent,” Johnson told reporters. “A lot of it is due to our coach, coach Rex Ryan. We’re going to keep Rex Ryan and he’ll be our coach next year.”

The Jets put together another strong performance for Ryan on Sunday and knocked the Dolphins out of the playoff chase. The Jets seized control of the game midway through the second quarter and never surrendered it.

Well Directly after we beat the Patriots and had to play up in Buffalo this is the only game I thought of - And heres the Headlines again. 

Bills running back Anthony "Boobie" Dixon moved the media needles last week when he declared Sunday's game as the Bills' "Super Bowl," hyperbole that Ryan downplayed all week. The Jets faced a win-and-in situation and failed, leapfrogged by the Steelers for the final AFC wild-card spot.

Every Single one of us that watched that game knew Buffalo was playing like it was their Superbowl. This is the Highlight of Being the Fan of a Rex Ryan Team. Playing your best ball after elimination in a ground hog's day fashion yearly. Never good enough to win a bowl and never bad enough to get top players in the draft/FA. That offense is pretty much the same one we ran here 5 years ago - There beating no one with it in the playoffs. All I can say is I feel bad for the Buffalo fans while hes there. 

Now On our End I feel great.  Please realize we have a completely new Scouting Department and Front Office. What did they show us? They Showed us they had a $$$$ing Plan. 

Guys that rarely saw the field like Enunwa, Thomkins, Mauldin, Devin Smith all Flashed. 

Average players like Calvin Pryor, Ivory, Powell, and Ryan Fitzpatrick took the next step and looked like superstars at times. 

Our Team nearly led the league in take aways. Our Players played well above their head. How often have you been able to say that? 

its Clear we have a Solid system in place. A system in which players can succeed. A system in which our draft picks can develop. A coach that has to develop just like any other rookie but certainly flashed his ability to put people in the right places. I feel more confident then I ever have that the Jets have a plan and their Front office is extremely competent. The contracts they gave out made a ton of sense and were extremely smart for the most part. 

I can not be more confident that our weaknesses this season will be addressed. We were attacked the same way all season on defense on the outsides and spreading us out. I see a complete overhaul at LB. Teams took away Decker/Marshall which left us with a secondary group of Thomkins/Enunwa/Powell as featured weapons. We will improve this group for damn sure. (CJ spiller may work great when hes cut, and Amaro will be back along with another FA or draft pick). 

How we get to our goal is debatable. But I will again tell you this. For the first time since Parcells was here Im confident our team has a successful system in place. I always hated the saying these guys are NFL coaches/FO and they know more then us - Lets trust them. But for the first time Im kind of excited to sit back, relax and see how our guys build this team. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex has not had a winning season since 2010...5 straight years of .500 ball or less

How do you think Bowles would've done w/o: Marshall, Fitz, Revis, Cro, Skrine, Williams, Mauldin?

I'm not saying Bowles is a bad coach.  I would've stayed with Rex, but Bowles is showing some promise.  I just don't understand the knocks on Rex.  He had absolute crap to work with for years.  Completely expect him to do well in Buffalo.  (Yes I know his team under-performed this year, but it'll take some time to put it together there, just like it will here.)

I knew Rex was gong to pull out all the stops. He probably cried in the locker room, did a somersault, bobbed apples........... whatever the **** he does to fire up idiots. The thing is that was great when he coached us certain games, he would get the team ready to go. Todd Bowles was supposed to give us consistency that a Bipolar Rodeo Clown couldn't. Who the week leading up to this didn't tell their buddies "This is Rex's SB"?

Our gameplan was bad, it didn't adjust and we still should have beat them despite coming out flat. Todd Bowles sucked this week. I hope unlike Rex he can learn stuff and things

Bowles had the better team and lost to Rex twice. Why? Rex is a better coach at this stage in his career. Probably always will be.

one more time.  Rex had a more talented squad, everyone said it loud and often heading into the season.  

The Jets had less talent

yet somehow the better HC, with better talent struggled to get to .500

and the inferior Bowles, a rookie, with less talent went 10-6.

and that bit of knowledge leads you to post over and over and over and over that Rex, who hasn't had a winning season since 2010 is the better coach? 

Now that's insight you don't get just anywhere

Eh, I dunno, time will tell. On the one hand, the Jets had a string of success with rookie head coaches and that led to absolute jack sh*t. So there's that. On the other, Bowles seemed to have a pretty easy path to the playoffs with this schedule and he blew it in pretty epic fashion. Blowing the playoffs in a loss to Rex Ryan with the team coming out completely flat is going to be pretty hard to forgive and forget. Winning cures all, but with the way this team blew the postseason this year, I don't know, I'm not as confident as I was a few weeks ago. Blowing that game on Sunday, like ******* christ man, how do you lose that game. To ******* Rex of all people. Why why why why why. The Jets had the advantage there in every conceivable way, yet they came out like zombies, followed by Bowles getting worked by maybe the biggest horse's ass to ever step foot East Rutherford. I think good coaches win that one 9, probably 10 times out of 10. Go Bowles, but I can't say I'm very optimistic given what the hell just happened.

I was wrong about this one, really thought the Jets would come out and run away with it.

Guess it just goes to show that Rex Ryan is the Undisputed Champion of the World when it comes to moral victories. And this was the Super Bowl of moral victories.

Our staff (both personnel and coaching) just got this team to 10 wins with Ryan f**king Fitzpatrick at QB, the guy who had never won 8 games in a season before and who I believe has the most career starts without a playoff appearance. That should get you pretty enthusiastic. 

We have no idea how hard next year's schedule is going to be. This year's schedule was supposed to be hard, then the NFC East and the Colts both turned out to be much worse than expected and suddenly the season appeared to be easy. 

My biggest takeaway is how much better some of our players looked under the new regime. Guys like Powell, Pryor, Enunwa to name a few looked like hot garbage under Rex. This year they looked like th could be players in this league. Especially Enunwa he was raw coming into the league but could be a weapon with another year of training camp under his belt. The loss Sunday sucked but I agree big picture we're disappointed over a 10 win season when just two years ago we were celebrating 8-8. Sure we spent money in the offseason but there's just no substitute for bad drafts.   Truth is coming off this year th expectations will only be bigger next year. Making this a huge offseason for Macc and Bowles. 

Holy sh*t.  Another one?

I'm starting to wonder if Jets fan even believe what they're saying or do all these thread about Rex Ryan and the Bills come out of some weird type of insecurity and you're all just trying to convince yourself at this point.  If he sucks, he sucks.  He's not a threat.  **** him.  Who cares?  Why constantly feel the need to say the same thing over and over again? 

I too am happy that we have Bowles and prefer him to Rex.  He seems like he has a great future but we've seen these starts before and the fact remains that he squandered a 4-1 start (78% of teams make the playoffs in the last 25 years), vs the easiest schedule in the league, with a top 10 offense and a top 5 defense in a year that the AFC playoff landscape is by far, bar none, the worst it's ever been. It's wide-open.  No dominate team.  The Jets could have easily won 3 straight vs. the field. 

And guess who handed him his season?  Rex Ryan.  

**** sake people.  Let it go.  All this pointing and laughing and making fun of Rex and the Bills but guess who got the last the laugh?  The guy you all feel the need to constantly make fun of for no valid reason other than spite or some deep insecurity or fear. 

Holy sh*t.  Another one?

I'm starting to wonder if Jets fan even believe what they're saying or do all these thread about Rex Ryan and the Bills come out of some weird type of insecurity and you're all just trying to convince yourself at this point.  If he sucks, he sucks.  He's not a threat.  **** him.  Who cares?  Why constantly feel the need to say the same thing over and over again? 

I too am happy that we have Bowles and prefer him to Rex.  He seems like he has a great future but we've seen these starts before and the fact remains that he squandered a 4-1 start (78% of teams make the playoffs in the last 25 years), vs the easiest schedule in the league, with a top 10 offense and a top 5 defense in a year that the AFC playoff landscape is by far, bar none, the worst it's ever been. It's wide-open.  No dominate team.  The Jets could have easily won 3 straight vs. the field. 

**** sake people.  Let it go.  All this pointing and laughing and making fun of Rex and the Bills but guess who got the last the laugh?  The guy you all feel the need to constantly make fun of for no valid reason other than spite or some deep insecurity or fear. 

So if discussing a former coach that swept us is insecurity, what is ranting against those that do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy sh*t.  Another one?

It's the irony in it, Rex the Clown Prince, still managed to take us down  even with Top 10 O and Top 5 D. He had nothing to play for, other then to stick it to us again! 

We are just SOJ, and will be until we Win another SB. Even though this was a 10-6 Season, it may have well been 4-12.

I feel like I've been robbed, and I'm still very Pissed. I'm sure I'm not alone. All our best players are over 30. Or almost 30.

Unlike the Raiders, I can't see better days ahead. I'm expecting less Wins next year, with the tough schedule, and loss of Key players through FA.

Rex the King of Winning meaningless games at the end of the year.

It's Classic Ryan  when you think about it. We beat the Fins and lost out on Cooper.

Mo Snacks Williams Richardson

or

Marshall Decker Cooper.

I know what Id have liked. 

jets would still have taken williams

I knew Rex was gong to pull out all the stops. He probably cried in the locker room, did a somersault, bobbed apples........... whatever the **** he does to fire up idiots. The thing is that was great when he coached us certain games, he would get the team ready to go. Todd Bowles was supposed to give us consistency that a Bipolar Rodeo Clown couldn't. Who the week leading up to this didn't tell their buddies "This is Rex's SB"?

Our gameplan was bad, it didn't adjust and we still should have beat them despite coming out flat. Todd Bowles sucked this week. I hope unlike Rex he can learn stuff and things

Oh stop,lol. Your never going to be perfect being a coach. The players still have to make plays. Bowles can't wave a magic wand over our slow azz LBs & make them faster. He can't put glue on Pace hands to pick off that ball that hit him RIGHT IN THE HANDS, he can't punt for Quigley, or catch those 7 drops, or kick the missed FG! Or pull back Fitz dumb predetermined pass to Decker while he's being draped by McKelvin. He can't block for Dbrick who was abused by Darius & hit Fitz while he was trying to throw a TD to a streaking Marshall. Rex players made MORE PLAYS than Bowles players. It's not rocket science, everyone had a hand in it. 

one more time.  Rex had a more talented squad, everyone said it loud and often heading into the season.  

The Jets had less talent

yet somehow the better HC, with better talent struggled to get to .500

and the inferior Bowles, a rookie, with less talent went 10-6.

and that bit of knowledge leads you to post over and over and over and over that Rex, who hasn't had a winning season since 2010 is the better coach? 

Now that's insight you don't get just anywhere

I was not impressed by Bowles in general, was not gravely disappointed either ....  however, I believe that REX would have been 8-8 or worse with us.

I am more excited about our GM and scouting department.  I believe Bowles will "get better" with situational football etc.

I would have liked one more week of NY JETS football in January 2016.

How do you think Bowles would've done w/o: Marshall, Fitz, Revis, Cro, Skrine, Williams, Mauldin?

I'm not saying Bowles is a bad coach.  I would've stayed with Rex, but Bowles is showing some promise.  I just don't understand the knocks on Rex.  He had absolute crap to work with for years.  Completely expect him to do well in Buffalo.  (Yes I know his team under-performed this year, but it'll take some time to put it together there, just like it will here.)

Rex stepped into Manginis roster drafted Sanchez and had two amazing runs.  This year takes over a solid roster and under achieves.  Pretty sure we have seen the best of Rex as a head coach.  If not we have to believe the team and roster will improve under his guidance.  We have not seen this yet.  Pretty sure we won't.  

It's the irony in it, Rex the Clown Prince, still managed to take us down  even with Top 10 O and Top 5 D. He had nothing to play for, other then to stick it to us again! 

We are just SOJ, and will be until we Win another SB. Even though this was a 10-6 Season, it may have well been 4-12.

I feel like I've been robbed, and I'm still very Pissed. I'm sure I'm not alone. All our best players are over 30. Or almost 30.

Unlike the Raiders, I can't see better days ahead. I'm expecting less Wins next year, with the tough schedule, and loss of Key players through FA.

I'm with ya bud.  Just this morning I found myself shaking my head thinking about how terrible the AFC playoff landscape is and the Jets could easily have advanced this weekend.  I think the Jets will be lucky to have similar offensive production next year. Consequently, I think this team will be very lucky to get double digit wins next season with the schedule they've got.  We're aging like a mother ******* and have a ton of in house decisions to make.  People want to act like this was a "rebuild" season but nothing about this roster or what Big Mac did in the offseason was building for the future.  We signed nothing but aging Vets. 

We just have to hope that with the overhaul in the scouting dept. that Big Mac can do something no Jets GM has ever done well, draft.  If he does that well, then it wont be all on Bowles to be perfect as a HC. 

I'm with ya bud.  Just this morning I found myself shaking my head thinking about how terrible the AFC playoff landscape is and the Jets could easily have advanced this weekend.  I think the Jets will be lucky to have similar offensive production next year. Consequently, I think this team will be very lucky to get double digit wins next season with the schedule they've got.  We're aging like a mother ******* and have a ton of in house decisions to make.  People want to act like this was a "rebuild" season but nothing about this roster or what Big Mac did in the offseason was building for the future.  We signed nothing but aging Vets. 

We just have to hope that with the overhaul in the scouting dept. that Big Mac can do something no Jets GM has ever done well, draft.  If he does that well, then it wont be all on Bowles to be perfect as a HC. 

I am not sure what people expect, honestly. We were a 4-12 team last year because we had years of awful drafting, awful signings, and awful player development following making an ill-advised run because we did not have the QB or enough overall talent to do so. Those problems take years to fix, and Tennanbaum/Rex and Idzik/Rex had absolutely atrocious drafts and development for years, outside of DL, which is why we were 4-12. 

We had cap room that we had to spend, and we used it. 

What should we have done, nothing, and gone 4-12 again? Everyone would have screamed for Bowles to be fired, and we would be starting again and again.

The only way out of the situation we are in is to draft well over a period of time. One year is not enough time, its going to take years.

Yeah, the AFC was weak, but the odds of winning 3 road games was very low, would have been very nice to get in, but at the end of the day this team was not winning a SB or likely even going to one this year.

The plan needs to be to build a winning program and culture, draft well, sign well, and develop well. Hopefully there is young talent to fill in for the aging talent, find a QB of the future and hopefully have a 10-15 year period where every year we are a legitimate playoff team and SB contender. That won't happen overnight coming off 4-12.

I am not sure what people expect, honestly. We were a 4-12 team last year because we had years of awful drafting, awful signings, and awful player development following making an ill-advised run because we did not have the QB or enough overall talent to do so. Those problems take years to fix, and Tennanbaum/Rex and Idzik/Rex had absolutely atrocious drafts and development for years, outside of DL, which is why we were 4-12. 

What should we have done, nothing, and gone 4-12 again? Everyone would have screamed for Bowles to be fired, and we would be starting again and again.

The only way out of the situation we are in is to draft well over a period of time. One year is not enough time, its going to take years.

Yeah, the AFC was weak, but the odds of winning 3 road games was very low, would have been very nice to get in, but at the end of the day this team was not winning a SB or likely even going to one this year.

The plan needs to be to build a winning program and culture, draft well, sign well, and develop well. Hopefully there is young talent to fill in for the aging talent, find a QB of the future and hopefully have a 10-15 year period where every year we are a legitimate playoff team and SB contender. That won't happen overnight coming off 4-12.

4-12 means nothing, we had 11-12 win talent this year and we won 10 games, we underachieved.

4-12 means nothing, we had 11-12 win talent this year and we won 10 games, we underachieved.

OK, fine, say we underachieved, which I don't agree with, we were still not winning a SB, not even with Rex, the greatest coach of all time.

This thread was about our long term prospects, and my post was in response to people saying we are getting old and our "window" was closing. You know what, we don't have a window really, not with Fitzpatrick who I like more than most, and an aging team.

You know why? Because we drafted and developed horribly for years. This year was a band-aid, nothing more.

Its going to take a few years of great drafting, great player development, and good free agent signings to have a real window. So you can cry all you want about underachieving, but that does not change anything.

For God's sakes....... 

Such a miserable bunch. 

"10-6 might have well been 4-12"

**** you

Agree, its really sad actually. Yeah, it was disappointing as all fk what happened this past Sunday, but you know what, I cared about winning and not a draft pick for all of December this year, it was a nice change of pace for once.

OK, fine, say we underachieved, which I don't agree with, we were still not winning a SB, not even with Rex, the greatest coach of all time.

This thread was about our long term prospects, and my post was in response to people saying we are getting old and our "window" was closing. You know what, we don't have a window really, not with Fitzpatrick who I like more than most, and an aging team.

You know why? Because we drafted and developed horribly for years. This year was a band-aid, nothing more.

Its going to take a few years of great drafting, great player development, and good free agent signings to have a real window. So you can cry all you want about underachieving, but that does not change anything.

do I think we would have won the SB? No but there was a chance, the AFC is not tough this year and we have similar talent as we had in 2009/2010 and nearly made it each year against tougher competition. 

this may have been the closest we get to postseason for the next year or 2 and we haven't made it since 2010 which is almost impossible in this parity era.  we did screw up drafts but we had a chance to make it this year while starting to rebuild.  next year we could be better and win 8 games and then it will be 2 years w/o playoffs and fans and the media will be impatient and want a regime change again.  I have seen this vicious cycle for far too long.  playoffs this year buys more patience.

do I think we would have won the SB? No but there was a chance, the AFC is not tough this year and we have similar talent as we had in 2009/2010 and nearly made it each year against tougher competition. 

this may have been the closest we get to postseason for the next year or 2 and we haven't made it since 2010 which is almost impossible in this parity era.  we did screw up drafts but we had a chance to make it this year while starting to rebuild.  next year we could be better and win 8 games and then it will be 2 years w/o playoffs and fans and the media will be impatient and want a regime change again.  I have seen this vicious cycle for far too long.  playoffs this year buys more patience.

Yet on the same hand, you are praising Rex for going 8-8 in Buffalo, when the were a better team than us last year, added very good players, and missed the playoffs for the 16th season when he himself said they are going to the playoffs. So if we beat Rex twice this year and went 8-8 and missed the playoffs, you would have felt better than going 10-6 and missing the playoffs????? I mean WTF man??

I'm not complaining about what he did at all.  He had to get an influx of talent any way he could.  This was one of, if not the worst rosters in the league last season and Mac did an incredible job in one offseason of making this one of the more talented rosters in the league.  

I disagree the Jets couldnt win 3 straight road games in the playoffs.  The AFC is terrible.  Rex Ryan won 2 straight with a worse team in back to back seasons and he's the worst HC ever, so why couldnt a better Jets team do it this season vs. the weakest field ever? 

Whatevers.  What's done is done. Like you said, like I said, we just have to hope they draft well and then it wont be all about Bowles making perfect decision after perfect decision.  

Talent > coaching, all day, everyday.

For God's sakes....... 

Such a miserable bunch. 

"10-6 might have well been 4-12"

**** you

Well, FWIW, the OP talked about draft position over wins.  So in his logic, 4-12 would have been better than 10-6 since we have nothing to show for it.

Eh, I dunno, time will tell. On the one hand, the Jets had a string of success with rookie head coaches and that led to absolute jack sh*t. So there's that. On the other, Bowles seemed to have a pretty easy path to the playoffs with this schedule and he blew it in pretty epic fashion. Blowing the playoffs in a loss to Rex Ryan with the team coming out completely flat is going to be pretty hard to forgive and forget. Winning cures all, but with the way this team blew the postseason this year, I don't know, I'm not as confident as I was a few weeks ago. Blowing that game on Sunday, like ******* christ man, how do you lose that game. To ******* Rex of all people. Why why why why why. The Jets had the advantage there in every conceivable way, yet they came out like zombies, followed by Bowles getting worked by maybe the biggest horse's ass to ever step foot East Rutherford. I think good coaches win that one 9, probably 10 times out of 10. Go Bowles, but I can't say I'm very optimistic given what the hell just happened.

I don't get this.  It is never 'easy' to win 10 games in this league - despite records.  The Steelers won 10 games and loss twice to a 5-11 team within the Division. Winning a division game on the road is rarely a gimme - just ask the Pats who lost to the worst team in the east. If it was so damn easy why didn't the Bills win 10 games with roughly the same schedule (beating us twice as we choked)?  

Archived