2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

4 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Mets are among the teams that have expressed interest in Jay Bruce.

The feeling had been that the Mets likely were just shopping for a reliever, but that thinking may be shifting with them being connected to Jonathan Lucroy and now Bruce. Bruce wouldn't be a perfect fit, as they could use someone who could play center field, but the Mets appear to be thinking bat first, defense second here.

I'll take it....I'll take anything

Loney, Walker, and the rest, batting 4 and 5 is killing us. Along with nobody stepping up out of Grandy, d'Arnaud, Conforto etc. and we could fall short of the WC at this point.

Throw in Jose's injury and it's becoming a critical situation

There's been a ton of bad breaks to overcome and we need some help here to make it back to the tournement

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just left the stadium. We couldn't even stay for the 9th. That is one of the most brutal games I have ever been to. If the Mets lose tomorrow we should consider being sellers at the deadline. This offense has zero heart and I don't see how they're supposed to change that fast enough to catch both the Marlins and Nats, or even make a run for the WC.

Just left the stadium. We couldn't even stay for the 9th. That is one of the most brutal games I have ever been to. If the Mets lose tomorrow we should consider being sellers at the deadline. This offense has zero heart and I don't see how they're supposed to change that fast enough to catch both the Marlins and Nats, or even make a run for the WC.

What would they sell?

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We are not sellers.  Had we won the two games we led in the ninth inning on Thurs-Friday this doom and gloom feeling wouldn't even exist. We do need a bat to breathe some life into the line-up. That or someone currently on the team needs to go off and carry us for a bit.

26 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

We are not sellers.  Had we won the two games we led in the ninth inning on Thurs-Friday this doom and gloom feeling wouldn't even exist. We do need a bat to breathe some life into the line-up. That or someone currently on the team needs to go off and carry us for a bit.

Correct. If they had won more games, they wouldn't be in this position. But they didn't and they are, and in the span of the games that you mentioned they have fallen literally 4 more games back in the loss column. And August is upon us. It's not doom and gloom. Just realistic. If they lose tomorrow they're going into August possibly 8 games back of the division. That is a lot, probably too much. The problems that the offense is having aren't new problems, it's been the same story all year with this lineup regarding moving runners no matter who has been in there. Lucroy or Bruce alone won't solve it and I don't think it's worth trading away top prospects to compete for the second wild card. 

Just to add, the past few games have solidified even more the missteps that this organization made this year. Not bringing Uribe back was just insanely dumb. Sending Nimmo back down for Conforto was useless for all parties, Dilson should have been called up way earlier, and the Wilmer experiment at third should have been abandoned in April when it was obvious he didn't have the feet or the arm for the position. So much little sh*t that added up over time and as much as I have grown to love them both the failures of this summer have to go on the shoulders of Alderson and Collins. The Mets have handed away more games this summer than I can even count and the signs were there that they needed to do something about this earlier; they could have done so in-house and simply chose not to. 

well stats in thiscase do not lie Mets worse hitting team with runners in scoring position- same thing all year if we can hit homeruns we will win- can not win that way over the long haul.

I wanted Dilson up earlier this year- he had nothing to prove at triple A -he might have given some youth and spark to help

1 hour ago, faba said:

well stats in thiscase do not lie Mets worse hitting team with runners in scoring position

Not only are we the worst team in the league this year with runners in scoring position, but we are approaching the worst team in the past 50 years.  At .202 on the season.  The last team to hit lower than that for a full season was the 1969 expansion San Diego Padres who hit .201.  That is how far this team has sunk.  A championship team, expected to compete for another championship is being compared with a 110 loss expansion team.  2 outs and runners in scoring position is even worse at .164.  You cannot score consistently with that level of clutch hitting.  The Pirates and Dbacks pitching staffs are both hitting better than .164.  

Since May 1, we are 38-42, and showing no signs of life.  This weekend is supposed to be a celebration of one of the great players in our franchise history, and instead it may be the weekend when they fade out of the race.  I want to believe they can still turn it around.  Only 2.5 games back in the WC race, so they can still do something, but hope is fading fast.

Haven't posted in this thread for a while, but I needed to vent a bit.  End of rant.

The Mets and Brewers continue to talk about a potential deal to bring C Jonathan Lucroy to the Mets (Olney, ESPN) and the Mets have reportedly offered a three-player trade to Milwaukee, which would include C Travis d'Arnaud and OF Brandon Nimmo or a "comparable player" (Rosenthal, Fox Sports). 

9 minutes ago, faba said:

The Mets and Brewers continue to talk about a potential deal to bring C Jonathan Lucroy to the Mets (Olney, ESPN) and the Mets have reportedly offered a three-player trade to Milwaukee, which would include C Travis d'Arnaud and OF Brandon Nimmo or a "comparable player" (Rosenthal, Fox Sports). 

Wow. If true they've really given up on d'Arnaud. I'd hate to lose Nimmo tho.

But, it says that they're serious about making the tournament this year and like Lucroy more for next year.

Also, that even if it's the WC this year they prolly feel with deGROM, and Thor, and then Matz and Tolo they have a good chance to advance.

It's been crying out since the injury bug earlier in the year that the lineup needed help. Hopefully Jose gets back and stays back too.

Texas Rangers left fielder Justin Ruggiano (25) in the first inning during a spring training against the Oakland Athletics at HoHoKam Stadium. (Rick Scuteri)

The Mets have placed 3B Jose Reyes on the 15-day disabled list and have signed and activated OF Justin Ruggiano, the team announced Saturday.

Reyes was diagnosed with a Grade 1 intercostal strain after injuring himself on in the first game of a doubleheader on July 26. He has not been in the lineup since that game.

Ruggiano, who had been playing with the Rangers' Triple-A affiliate, hit .226 with a .321 OBP and .427 SLG to go along with seven home runs and 23 RBIs. He had been released by the Rangers earlier in the week.

"I've know him a long time," manager Terry Collins said of Ruggiano. "Known him since the day he signed. He plays hard, plays all positions, can run. What we were looking for. We needed righty bat."

"I feel blessed to be here -- humbled," Ruggiano said Saturday. "Three months in minors. I tried to learn a new position. I think the National league suits my game best."

In eight major league seasons, Ruggiano has hit .256 with a .321 OBP and .436 SLG.

That's a looooooong time to be missing Jose at this point. Not good. We got sh*t at the top of the lineup and dreck after Ces.

Grandy was a huge part of last year and carried us at times. I've given up on that.

Disappointed about d'Anaud too. His at bats have sucked pretty much tho and Sandy must have lost patience with him.

We can't survive with that sh*t. Even a trade for Lucroy doesn't make a big difference at this point imo. If it sets up Catcher for next year then it's good...I suppose

With the expectations going in, this has been tough this year for me. I hate the opposition. All of them :angry:

Sandy needs to be careful and not lose sight of setting up next year for a legit run.

he's gotta get this roster sorted out with the right players for the right roles on the field, and in the batting order. It's the one thing that's bothered me for the last couple of years.

Hopefully the young guys in the Minors will make that start happen starting next year. That's when Sandy will and should be judged. He needs to hit on a couple of those guys

A lot of trades.  As for the Mets there's a constant: after paying Cespedes they aren't taking on any more payroll. All of the moves they've made this year have been for decent players: Loney, Reyes, Kelly Johnson, etc. But in all cases their salaries are either being paid by their previous team or a low salary. This isn't going to change. 

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Nice move with the Ruggiano signing Sandy. Couldn't call Dilson or TJ up? We couldn't play Nimmo because we had to sit through this bum? Christ. 

Lol. He broke his face on the warning track then broke his ankle running after that ball....ugly

Lucroy won't be enough...

Just gotta keep fighting and hope the other WC contenders have sh*t happen to them

:angry:

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hoping Leroy holds fast to his Cleveland "No Trade" clause. That would leave Mets.

As it stands now,  there is a deal in place with Cleveland. 

Indians gave up a lot, for them it makes sense given their position. Not interested in that for us at all. 

10 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Lol. He broke his face on the warning track then broke his ankle running after that ball....ugly

Lucroy won't be enough...

Just gotta keep fighting and hope the other WC contenders have sh*t happen to them

:angry:

This is where I'm at too. Stand firm and see what happens, if it's not our year than it's not our year. 

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is where I'm at too. Stand firm and see what happens, if it's not our year than it's not our year. 

Yup.  Can't argue with that.  The guys on the roster are gonna have to figure it out.  Don't want to see a deal for Jay Bruce either.  

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Indians gave up a lot, for them it makes sense given their position. Not interested in that for us at all. 

I didn't see who was in their Lucroy offer.  Based on the Miller deal I wonder who is on the table for Lucroy?

Edit:  Never mind I see the Lucroy players now.

Per Rosenthal, the Brewers will receive four players from Cleveland including top catching prospect Francisco Mejia. Minor league OF Greg Allen and SS Yu-Cheng Chang will also head to Milwaukee if the deal goes through.

57 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

I didn't see who was in their Lucroy offer.  Based on the Miller deal I wonder who is on the table for Lucroy?

Edit:  Never mind I see the Lucroy players now.

Per Rosenthal, the Brewers will receive four players from Cleveland including top catching prospect Francisco Mejia. Minor league OF Greg Allen and SS Yu-Cheng Chang will also head to Milwaukee if the deal goes through.

Supposedly, Lucroy vetoed trade. 

Hope the Mets are OUT on him. 

I wouldn't give up our top prospects for Lucroy. He's not a change maker. Travis and Nimmo for Lucroy ok. Which isn't going to get it done. Hopefully the hitting coach can figure some of this out. They really need a guy with a great OBP even if not that much power. Love to get a guy like Prado but no way they could make a deal with the Marlins. 

Lucroy coming here for more than just d'Arnaud, other than a bottom level minors guy, has to be with the idea that he would be our Catcher next year also.

As a trade for just this year to get over the hump it would not be enough imo.

If we've essentially given up on d'Arnaud we need a catcher for the future tho and we might need to get one while the opportunity is there.

Again, Sandy needs to sort this roster out to to get roles more defined in the field and in the batting order. He's got work to do. d'Arnaud is becoming a disappointment and we need help in the middle of the lineup looking ahead

It's hard to get a catcher esp one who can hit. So I'd say stick longer with Travis and try to get a good hitter who can consistently get the bat on the ball and will take walks. We need some hits in the lineup. Last year we needed power. We need a good BA and OBP batter. Any available?

I wonder if David Descalso is available. He's a good hitter but not a true starter. He's a guy who could give them some consistent hitting and help the team in run building. Maybe the Mets have somebody the Rockies like the price should not be too high. Thanks to the Mets their record is .500.

Archived