2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Let's face it, Backman was never an Alderson guy. We will never know what Backman could have done with this team, but we do know Collins did take it to the World Series, so the bar is set high.

For years , the Mets have been a bunch of back stabbing , mysteriously released info , pieces of garbage to certain individuals . Sandy can lick my balls !!!

My MLB package went out right as Murph beat out the infield single in the 9th.  It came back on, to a tied ball game.  It then went out again and came back with Blevins vs. Murph and I was literally cringing expecting the worst with every pitch.  And then he sat his ass down!!!!

Great game! 

Say what you want about Wally, buf it it weren't for the Triple A guys who have come up and contributed in the last month, we wouldn't be in contention right now.  

I heard him on the radio yesterday -- thought he did a really nice job explaining and supporting his perspective without throwing anyone under the bus.

I don't think that Wally should have taken this to the media but that's not the kind of guy he is I guess. It came off as him kind of whining. But I'd have loved to have seen him get a chance to manage the Mets. A little disobedience never hurt any baseball org. and sometimes a guy like him can really motivate players. And get them to play above their talent level. He did have interesting comments and is very high on Gsellman. He kind of didn't mention Lugo at all but said his most talented pitcher at LV was Geselman.

1 hour ago, no psls said:

For years , the Mets have been a bunch of back stabbing , mysteriously released info , pieces of garbage to certain individuals . Sandy can lick my balls !!!

Well Sandy has re-built this organization to have a highly functional minor league, has given it stability at the top and has produced success on the field. 

He is the best Met GM since Frank Cashen. But yeah, go ahead and trash him.

46 minutes ago, Lith said:

Say what you want about Wally, buf it it weren't for the Triple A guys who have come up and contributed in the last month, we wouldn't be in contention right now.  

I heard him on the radio yesterday -- thought he did a really nice job explaining and supporting his perspective without throwing anyone under the bus.

Wally did not go ballistic, so his agent must have talked with him. He did not say anything that was outrageous, other than tooting is own horn excessively. Lots of "me" with this guy, but that is who he is. I wish him luck, and hope he finds a spot some where. Not sure it will be at the mlb level, as he wants.

It really sounds as if he was miffed that he did not get a call up to be on the bench in September also. Some hurt feelings there.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Wally did not go ballistic, so his agent must have talked with him. He did not say anything that was outrageous, other than tooting is own horn excessively. Lots of "me" with this guy, but that is who he is. I wish him luck, and hope he finds a sot some where. Not sure it will be at the mlb level, as he wants.

It really sounds as if he was miffed that he did not get a call up to be on the bench in September also. Some hurt feelings there.

Clearly some hurt feelings.  Sounded a lot to me like he was "interviewing" for his next job in the press.  Getting his side of the story out there after the negative stuff was leaked.  Agree that his agent probably influenced what was said.  He is gone now, so it doesn't really matter -- but as a former member of the 86 Mets, I would like to see him land on his feet and get another shot

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Mets need to skip Montero's next start, and hopefully use that as the game to sue both DeGrom and Matz in the same game. Then get them each a start before the last weekend. 

Seems like Wheeler has just fallen of the face of the earth

I was just talking about this last night.  I remember he started throwing, had a set back and then I havent heard a single word about him again.

I guess we can rule him out this year? 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I was just talking about this last night.  I remember he started throwing, had a set back and then I havent heard a single word about him again.

I guess we can rule him out this year? 

You would think that he would be busting his butt to at least get an mob inning or 2 in this year, so that he has slight comfort going into next year. Have to wonder what he will ever be again at this point.

They shut Wheeler down for the season.  Won't pitch again until spring training.  From Adam Rubin earlier this month:

"Zack Wheeler has been shut down for the remainder of the season and is not scheduled to pick up a baseball again until he is gearing up for spring training. Wheeler's latest setback was diagnosed roughly two weeks ago as a flexor muscle strain. He has not returned to the majors since undergoing Tommy John surgery in March 2015."

6 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well Sandy has re-built this organization to have a highly functional minor league, has given it stability at the top and has produced success on the field. 

He is the best Met GM since Frank Cashen. But yeah, go ahead and trash him.

WE WANT WALLY !!! WE WANT WALLY !!!

2 things going forward:

1. Jay Bruce is completely useless. Mr. Useless. Jay Bruceless. The Mets should cut their losses on him for next year and just make sure Yo gets paid. My god, talk about a guy that just can't handle playing in New York. Get the **** off my team. Stop playing him already. Talk about an all-time Mets bonehead move. If Dilson pans out...just ****.

2. Rivera should be the starter going forward. What does D'Arnaud do well? Anything? He doesn't hit for power. He doesn't bring runners in. He's not a leader behind the plate like Rene is and he can't hold runners to save his life. At least with games like today Rene gives us a shot. Start Rivera and make Plawecki the backup going forward. If our catchers aren't going to hit, at least have guys in there that can do something defensively.

Gary Cohen said the plan was to play Rivera more, guess he heard that somewhere.

Good move going with Rivera....he threw runners out right away too. The inability to stop the running game was becoming a real weakness of the team, and target by the opposition....Can't have that if you want to make some noise the rest of the way.

d'Arnaud has just been lame, with lousy body language too. Looks like he's lost all confidence. Unbelievable.

Gary Applehead is ******* horrible. I can't take him anymore. SNY has ruined the Pre and Post Game shows with him. Give me Gelbs and Duquette and let Applehead roam around the stadium with stupid stories from the bleachers and sh*t...

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

1. Jay Bruce is completely useless. Mr. Useless. Jay Bruceless. The Mets should cut their losses on him for next year and just make sure Yo gets paid. My god, talk about a guy that just can't handle playing in New York. Get the **** off my team. Stop playing him already. Talk about an all-time Mets bonehead move. If Dilson pans out...just ****.

The only hope I am holding out with him is that he's a power hitter and there are many of those type guys who look like garbage for an extended period of time only to then go on streaks where they literally can carry a team. Other than that small glimmer of hope, yes, he has been a disaster.

I caught the end of the game in the car and was stunned to hear the announcers say how the team is and has been doing this without their planned opening day Catcher, 1st Baseman, 2nd Baseman, 3rd Baseman, Left Fielder, plus 3 of their top 4 SP's.

Add Bruce bringing nada to the table and it's nothing short of incredible that this team would be in the post season if the season ended today.

4 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Gary Cohen said the plan was to play Rivera more, guess he heard that somewhere.

Good move going with Rivera....he threw runners out right away too. The inability to stop the running game was becoming a real weakness of the team, and target by the opposition....Can't have that if you want to make some noise the rest of the way.

d'Arnaud has just been lame, with lousy body language too. Looks like he's lost all confidence. Unbelievable.

Gary Applehead is ******* horrible. I can't take him anymore. SNY has ruined the Pre and Post Game shows with him. Give me Gelbs and Duquette and let Applehead roam around the stadium with stupid stories from the bleachers and sh*t...

Bring back Bobby Ojeda !!!!!!!!!!!!

I mentioned this earlier this year   d'Arnaud  is injury prone and not a good enough hitter to carry- cut the losses with him after thsi year. Jay Bruce has reverted back to what he was before this year with the Reds- low average occasional home run- definitely look for another option next year

13 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

The only hope I am holding out with him is that he's a power hitter and there are many of those type guys who look like garbage for an extended period of time only to then go on streaks where they literally can carry a team. Other than that small glimmer of hope, yes, he has been a disaster.

I caught the end of the game in the car and was stunned to hear the announcers say how the team is and has been doing this without their planned opening day Catcher, 1st Baseman, 2nd Baseman, 3rd Baseman, Left Fielder, plus 3 of their top 4 SP's.

Add Bruce bringing nada to the table and it's nothing short of incredible that this team would be in the post season if the season ended today.

It's been said a few times but it really is true, Cespedes is the MVP of the team and its not even up for debate, but the bedrock of the team this year has been Tolo going out there and slaying it every 5th day, which is insane because they almost didn't bring him back. Without his pitching and his demeanor in keeping everyone calm, we give up in mid-August.

And that's kind of the theme of this year, right? If it weren't for cheap old guys that everyone had pretty much given up on, the Mets wouldn't have done jack sh*t this year. Loney, Rene, Johnson...etc. 

Heyman predicts that Cespedes will receive a 4 year, $100m contract on the open market and that he will exercise his opt out.

Really, if that is all it is, it is a no brainer for the Mets. They are currently tied to 2 years $50m remaining after this year. It should not be too rich for the Mets to extend that by 2 years.

For what it is worth, Cespedes a couple of weeks ago said that he would honor his existing contract and not opt out. 

Either way, this should get done. 

Now, do you tender Walker?

Amed Rosario shot up the MLB Prospect Board. The kid has player written all over him. He'll be 21 next spring and we'll see if he can make a statement for the active roster.

This is one prospect to feel really good about for the near future.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/201368102/10-prospects-who-raised-their-stock-in-2016/?topicid=151437456

How about that start to the double play by Colon!  Familia wishes he could play D like Big Sexy...

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Bruce batting 5th.

I sincerely hope this is Terry giving him an opportunity to make his last stand. Middle of the order. Hit or sit. Every AB going forward is too important, if the guy is too much of a pussy to actually be able to hit when it matters, which he's honestly never had to do, then he has to sit.

I heard on the FAN that Terry is basically giving him about a week to break out of this before going in another direction.

I hope he wakes up. Would really make the line-up legit.

Archived