2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

8 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Scotty D, the gift that keeps on giving. One that is more saber worthy than worth his salary in the situational game lol...Tf does that even mean?!?! Who could actually believe something so clearly loaded with meatheaded meat? Might as well read...."Sure he's one of the great all around players and hitters in the game, but I've maybe heard the super successful Reds want him to be worse so he's not clutch!" 

lol.  The guy who couldn't stop whining about people "trolling" the Cubs board doing the exact same thing right here.  To the surprise of no one.  Your team just won a title, and you can't help but show off your insecurity at every turn. 

This will undoubtedly lead to Max telling you to put Scott on ignore for a 3rd time. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  The guy who couldn't stop whining about people "trolling" the Cubs board doing the exact same thing right here.  To the surprise of no one.  Your team just won a title, and you can't help but show off your insecurity at every turn. 

20 pages of trolling vs. one post laughing at a hilariously unknowledgable post. Please save your tears for something a little more worthy. 

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Cespedes is not signed yet.

If they do sign him, Fowler is not happening and Bruce is most likely gone. They have to find room to give Conforto at bats.

I know that. I think he's as good as back. I'll be very surprised if he isn't..

Just because he's back I don't know why we have to continue down this road of short changing the roster with odd pieces to keep the Coupons happy otherwise. 

If you have Cespedes, don't waste it. Give him the protection and support he deserves. It will put them over the top. Bruce is a bird in hand, and Fowler and Jose will put pressure on the D. 

I'm tired of watching all those other guys slumping, and struggling, including Conforto and the likes of d'ARnaud, and dragging the team down.

And guys, like Ces, playing out of position. That's what got Ces hurt....trying to be Superman to save the season cause nobody else could do anything.

By the way lets remember how Cespedes put his ass on the line AND adjusted at the plate and still hit when he couldn't drive and torque with his rear leg at the plate cause of his quad

As far as I'm concerned there are no untouchables and I wouldn't mind one bit if Sandy traded Conforto, Grandy or anybody else.

I'm gonna be very dis-satisfied if we sign Cespedes and then ride him because the Coupons are too cheap. That would be a waste, curtail his production, and will wear him out to boot.

We'll see. Just an opinion. I do believe Sandy wants to get the roster right at this point.....And I'm hoping the Coupons give in a little

48 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Scotty D, the gift that keeps on giving. One that is more saber worthy than worth his salary in the situational game lol...Tf does that even mean?!?! Who could actually believe something so clearly loaded with meatheaded meat? Might as well read...."Sure he's one of the great all around players and hitters in the game, but I've vaguely and maybe heard the super successful Reds want him to be worse so he's not clutch!" 

I clamored for Votto mid-season when sh*t went bad for two years. But it's not happening now. No way. The metrics and all that bullsh*t have nothing to do with it either. Too late and a dollar short. It's not a fit at this point.

If it doesn't fit you must a quit

7 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I clamored for Votto mid-season when sh*t went bad for two years. But it's not happening now. No way. The metrics and all that bullsh*t have nothing to do with it either. Too late and a dollar short. It's not a fit at this point.

If it doesn't fit you must a quit

He absolutely fits. The team has a clear OBP issue that took down what woulda/coulda/should been a decent offense. They started James Loney at 1B most of the season. Duda is coming off an injury plagued year where he hit .229 with a .714 OPS, and even at his very best is not in Votto's league as a hitter. His LH bat would compliment Cespedes' RH bat either in front or behind. The only really elite prospect in the system is Rosario, so there's not much fear of crushing the future there either. 

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

He absolutely fits. The team has a clear OBP issue that took down what woulda/coulda/should been a decent offense. They started James Loney at 1B most of the season. Duda is coming off an injury plagued year where he hit .229 with a .714 OPS, and even at his very best is not in Votto's league as a hitter. His LH bat would compliment Cespedes' RH bat either in front or behind. 

Blah blah....fuheggitaboutit

We have like three or four 1st baseman and Dominic Smith looming. The resources for outside help go everywhere but there. Throwing out a bunch of alphabet letters and digits means nothing in this case.

Dieking is 1000% right. Go back to the fantasy numbers and come up with another plan

40 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Blah blah....fuheggitaboutit

We have like three or four 1st baseman and Dominic Smith looming. The resources for outside help go everywhere but there. Throwing out a bunch of alphabet letters and digits means nothing in this case.

Dieking is 1000% right. Go back to the fantasy numbers and come up with another plan

First: The level of meatheadness, and the pride taken in not knowing what you're talking about, between you and Scotty D's posts remains atrocious. Still with the fantasy stats nonsense from a crowd that wants RBIs lol.

Bold: They literally all suck and Dominic Smith hasn't even played AA ball yet. sh*t, you claim to have four and still somehow the Mets had to trade for James Loney off the Padres' AAA squad so he could start the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Scotty D, the gift that keeps on giving. One that is more saber worthy than worth his salary in the situational game lol...Tf does that even mean?!?! Who could actually believe something so clearly loaded with meatheaded meat? Might as well read...."Sure he's one of the great all around players and hitters in the game, but I've vaguely and maybe heard the super successful Reds want him to be worse so he's not clutch!" 

Please stop trolling this thread with your nonsense. We get it, you think you are smart because you can spout some numbers.

Move on and stop trollishly trolling.

31 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

He absolutely fits. The team has a clear OBP issue that took down what woulda/coulda/should been a decent offense. They started James Loney at 1B most of the season. Duda is coming off an injury plagued year where he hit .229 with a .714 OPS, and even at his very best is not in Votto's league as a hitter. His LH bat would compliment Cespedes' RH bat either in front or behind. The only really elite prospect in the system is Rosario, so there's not much fear of crushing the future there either. 

The Mets are trying to be LESS lefthanded, not more. They want balance in the line-up, which is predominatly LH now.

I know trying to create a line-up with balance does not fit your agenda of "look at me spouting numbers", but real mlb teams do not approach it in your closed-minded sense.

11 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

First: The level of meatheadness, and the pride taken in not knowing what you're talking about, between you and Scotty D's posts remains atrocious btw. Still with the fantasy stats nonsense from a crowd that wants RBIs lol.

Bold: They literally all suck and Dominic Smith hasn't even played AA ball yet. sh*t, you claim to have four and still somehow the Mets had to trade for James Loney off the Padres' AAA squad so he could start the rest of the year.

Boom. There it is.

Get a load of Fatboy, lol.

Throw out some cockamamie bullsh*t with some letters and digits to look like you know sh*t and then call people stuff.

Ass Clown

Now, gimme some more crunched numbers to tell me why we need a SS, or why we should trade Syndergaard for Baez to play SS against LH pitching.

GTFOH

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Please stop trolling this thread with your nonsense. We get it, you think you are smart because you can spout some numbers.

You understand you're basically Mrs. Carmody from The Mist, right? What rational, decent human being acts like this all the time?

Anyway, it's a great idea for the Mets to go after Votto. That the best case these half-wits can come up against it is that they have Lucas Duda, James Loney, and that numbers are meany poo twolls pretty much sums up why these people missed so often during the 2016 season. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The Mets are trying to be LESS lefthanded, not more. They want balance in the line-up, which is predominatly LH now.

I know trying to create a line-up with balance does not fit your agenda of "look at me spouting numbers", but real mlb teams do not approach it in your closed-minded sense.

The Mets had 3 LH hitters take more than 300 PAs last year. One of those was James Loney. One of them, Granderson, put up an OPS over .750.

Just stop trying to make it seem as if you have any clue what you're talking about. Real MLB teams don't use numbers lol....Like I said, the gift that keeps on giving.

It does sound like Cespedes wants to return to the Mets. I just hope the Mets anti up the money and pay him. He's so important to the team.

I'd love for the Mets to upgrade the offense by not only bringing back the guys who were already on the team last year like Walker who accepted the QO and Cespedes, but also by going out and improving other positions. I would love it if the Mets signed Edwin Encarnacion to play first base. Duda has been a good Met but Encaranacion is one of the premier bats on the market and would be an upgrade. But I know the idea of the Mets spending that much money on an additional player after (hopefully) locking up Cespedes just isn't going to happen.

Assuming Cespedes is back they'll probably trade Bruce and have an outfield with Cespedes in left Lagares in center and Granderson in right. Conforto will platoon with Lagares and might play some center or they could move Cespedes or even Curtis to center for those games.

Wright, Walker, Reyes, Cabrera, Flores, and Duda is fine for the infield and I expect the Mets will bring d'Arnaud back to be their catcher for next season. I don't see where they upgrade. d'Arnaud can hit. He just had a lost year.

I think we're looking at the same team offensively that we had last year plus Reyes for a full year with the hopes that Conforto will take a big step forward and guys like d'Arnaud, Duda, Wright, and Walker will stay healthy.

9 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The Mets had 3 LH hitters take more than 300 PAs last year. One of those was James Loney. One of them, Granderson, put up an OPS over .750.

Just stop trying to make it seem as if you have any clue what you're talking about. Real MLB teams don't use numbers lol....Like I said, the gift that keeps on giving.

Their current projected first baseman is left handed.

Their second baseman is a switch hitter and is stronger from the left side.

Their current right fielder is left handed

Their current left fielder is left handed

Then they have Conforto, whom they want to fit in, who is left handed.

Reyes is better from the left side. We have to assume that he will get a fair amount of time at 3B in lieu of the always injured Wright.

JohnJ is correct in stating that the Mets are counting on big things from Dom Smith. Having an aging Votto who will be declining in productivity and is a huge $$$ burden makes no sense.

Please leave the personal insults out of this. It makes you look totally bereft of having debate without hurling the insults.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I know the want is to get a reliever. Bruce should fetch something decent, as his $13m contract for this year is of value.

Mets also need to hedge their bullpen on anticipation that Familia will probably be suspended at let an 1/8th of the season. They are going to babying arms, I am sure, and will need to use that bullpen heavily.

I am very curious to see if Smoker can be a bigger piece also.

Agree, they need to get something decent, because if they do keep him, and offer him a qualifying offer, the worst case is they will get a first round draft pick for him, so they have to get something pretty good for him, and they should at his contract price for this year.

Yeah, bullpen would be great, as would a catcher. Not sure who is going to be available for trade at either spot, but one of the two would be very nice.

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Cespedes is not signed yet.

If they do sign him, Fowler is not happening and Bruce is most likely gone. They have to find room to give Conforto at bats.

If Yo is back Bruce is gone for 10 cents on the dollar. They've been pretty clear that Conforto is going to be an every day player next year and finding a taker for Bruce in theory would have to be easier than finding a taker for Granderson. 

36 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Their current projected first baseman is left handed.

Their second baseman is a switch hitter and is stronger from the left side.

Their current right fielder is left handed

Their current left fielder is left handed

Then they have Conforto, whom they want to fit in, who is left handed.

Reyes is better from the left side. We have to assume that he will get a fair amount of time at 3B in lieu of the always injured Wright.

JohnJ is correct in stating that the Mets are counting on big things from Dom Smith. Having an aging Votto who will be declining in productivity and is a huge $$$ burden makes no sense.

Please leave the personal insults out of this. It makes you look totally bereft of having debate without hurling the insults.

- The current projected 1B also missed 115 games in 2016, hit .229 in 2016, put up a .714 OPS in 2016, peaked at an .838 OPS with bad defense at his best. This is not a player who gets in the way of Joey Votto.

- Their second baseman is a switch hitter, not a left handed hitter. This is not a reason to not go after a player like Joey Votto.

- Their current RF is the only LHH on the entire roster who had a quality 2016. One hitter is not a reason to not go after a great like Joey Votto.

- Their current LF might be platooning and hit .220/.310/.414 last year. Yet again, not a reason to not go after a bat like Votto.

- Reyes, another switch hitter who does not play 1B, is not a reason to avoid Joey Votto. 

- Dominic Smith has not even faced upper minor league pitching. What he might do in 2019 is not a reason to avoid Joey Votto.

You would do best to follow your own advice. I haven't fallen for the fake sanctimony all year and will not start now. I respond in kind, nothing more or less. 

3 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

- The current projected 1B also missed 115 games in 2016, hit .229 in 2016, put up a .714 OPS in 2016, peaked at an .838 OPS with bad defense at his best. This is not a player who gets in the way of Joey Votto.

- Their second baseman is a switch hitter, not a left handed hitter. This is not a reason to not go after a player like Joey Votto.

- Their current RF is the only LHH on the entire roster who had a quality 2016. One hitter is not a reason to not go after a great like Joey Votto.

- Their current LF might be platooning and hit .220/.310/.414 last year. Yet again, not a reason to not go after a bat like Votto.

- Reyes, another switch hitter who does not play 1B, is not a reason to avoid Joey Votto. That your most reliable hitters are all in their 30s and Votto is (way) better than all of them is more reason to go after him, not less.

- Dominic Smith has not even faced upper minor league pitching. What he might do in 2019 is not a reason to avoid Joey Votto.

You would do best to follow your own advice. I haven't fallen for the fake sanctimony all year and will not start now. I respond in kind, nothing more or less. 

I will not try to have reasonable discussions with you regarding how baseball teams are built. It appears beyond your comprehension. 

Now on "ignore". Congrats, you are the first. But one can only put up with so much thick-headedness.. Bye

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I will not try to have reasonable discussions with you regarding how baseball teams are built.

Lol no sh*t, that has long been established. You are not remotely a reasonable person. That you think baseball numbers are a waste of time when talking baseball in 2016 says a whole lot about your level of knowledge and ability to be reasoned with. You just had the same point smacked down twice and chose to run away, again not what reasonable people do. 

This is like your 5th bye this year soooo fingers crossed this one isn't yet another lie. 

Oh, and there is this, from Alderson himself, last week--But what would he know about the composition of his team:

While Alderson would obviously not talk about the Mets’ specific plans, he did admit that the front office talked to a few teams about possible trades over the last few days.

“We had some very preliminary discussions,” Alderson said of those meetings with other front offices. “I can’t say the groundwork was laid or anything, but there were brief conversations with a number of teams.”

When pressed specifically about interest in the lefty-hitting Bruce, Alderson indicated there had been inquiries.

“I think people are aware we are left-handed. I wouldn’t be any more specific than that,” Alderson said. “So, we’ve had inquiries across the board. We have four or five guys in that category

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/alderson-meets-cespedes-reps-no-closer-deal-article-1.2867926

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gato's a frontrunner hypocritical troll.  Who'd have thunk it?

Lol you understand how ineffective this STILL is, right? Like the only people who believe this are the butt hurt handful Mets fans who spent all year talking sh*t only to watch the Cubs do this year what the Mets could not last year. Magically that dumb frontrunning narrative only popped up once it was clear the Cubs were going to do what I expected. 

Scotty D bolds a quote, ignores literally the next sentence where he says he won't be anymore specific than that. Somehow in his head this works out to whatever Scotty D imagines was said. This guy is dying for an Idiocracy to take hold here just because he can't make a competent baseball argument. One good LH hitter, one potentially good one (Conforto), and a bunch of scrubs doesn't eliminate literally one of the best hitters in the game who does exactly what this team doesn't do on offense and then some.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If Yo is back Bruce is gone for 10 cents on the dollar. They've been pretty clear that Conforto is going to be an every day player next year and finding a taker for Bruce in theory would have to be easier than finding a taker for Granderson. 

Not sure I agree with this for several reasons. The main one being Sandy will never allow himself to be leveraged from a perceived position of weakness. And he's not giving the competition 30 and 100, and legit protection for Ces in the 5 hole, for nothing

Conforto is a LFer. If we sign Cespedes that pushes Conforto to RF and/or CF. In my opinion he'll become below average there. The Mets said he'll get a look at 1B also so we'll see.

Then they put Grandy in CF which is also a sideways move at best, but Lagares kinda eases that one. But Grandy is fading and the outfield defense in CF AND RF becomes a big concern....for me anyway.

All this is said with the idea that Cespedes is coming back.

My main point is that there's a lot of ways they can go here. Sandy has chips and options, and a desire to get the roster balanced and get the right people at the right position, imo.

We don't have to keep fitting square pegs into round holes. Where is it written that we have to do that. Get it right, and trade whoever you have too. Including Conforto, Grandy, Nimmo, d'Arnaud, Duda and even a pitcher.

40 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Lol you understand how ineffective this STILL is, right? Like the only people who believe this are the butt hurt handful Mets fans who spent all year talking sh*t only to watch the Cubs do this year what the Mets could not last year. Magically that dumb frontrunning narrative only popped up once it was clear the Cubs were going to do what I expected. 

Scotty D bolds a quote, ignores literally the next sentence where he says he won't be anymore specific than that. Somehow in his head this works out to whatever Scotty D imagines was said. This guy is dying for an Idiocracy to take hold here just because he can't make a competent baseball argument. One good LH hitter, one potentially good one (Conforto), and a bunch of scrubs doesn't eliminate literally one of the best hitters in the game who does exactly what this team doesn't do on offense and then some.

Dude, nobody's arguing that Votto isn't top notch. I already said that I was having a baby for him for two years straight when we were on the verge of crashing and burning mid-season.

But the Mets aren't doing that, and the reasons are obvious.

You got people to bite on it and then got to call people names. Now go back to imagining you're a baseball metric insider, and then piss off.

13 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Dude, nobody's arguing that Votto isn't top notch. I already said that I was having a baby for him for two years straight when we were on the verge of crashing and burning mid-season.

But the Mets aren't doing that, and the reasons are obvious.

I know reading isn't a thing for you, but Scotty D opened with Votto being less than top notch and the main argument is that the Mets are so loaded with LH offense that Votto is not a fit. Neither of those things are actually true, that becomes clear and obvious with just a little bit of glancing at what the Mets actually got from their offense.

Lol baseball metric insider....How do you guys come up with this stuff? TF does that one even mean? At least you've moved off believing these are fantasy numbers while pining for more RBIs. 

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I know reading isn't a thing for you, but Scotty D opened with that and the main argument is that the Mets are so loaded with LH offense that Votto is not a fit. Neither of those things are actually true, that becomes clear and obvious with just a little bit of glancing at what the Mets actually got from their offense.

Lol baseball metric insider....How do you guys come up with this stuff? TF does that one even mean? At least you've moved off believing these are fantasy numbers while pining for more RBIs. 

What does that even mean what does that even mean what does that mean you're dumb your dumb you're stupid you're stupid you're stupid

na na

na na

naaaaaa naaaaa

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Not sure I agree with this for several reasons. The main one being Sandy will never allow himself to be leveraged from a perceived position of weakness. And he's not giving the competition 30 and 100, and legit protection for Ces in the 5 hole, for nothing

Conforto is a LFer. If we sign Cespedes that pushes Conforto to RF and/or CF. In my opinion he'll become below average there. The Mets said he'll get a look at 1B also so we'll see.

Then they put Grandy in CF which is also a sideways move at best, but Lagares kinda eases that one. But Grandy is fading and the outfield defense in CF AND RF becomes a big concern....for me anyway.

All this is said with the idea that Cespedes is coming back.

My main point is that there's a lot of ways they can go here. Sandy has chips and options, and a desire to get the roster balanced and get the right people at the right position, imo.

We don't have to keep fitting square pegs into round holes. Where is it written that we have to do that. Get it right, and trade whoever you have too. Including Conforto, Grandy, Nimmo, d'Arnaud, Duda and even a pitcher.

Sounds great. But it's the Mets and they're gonna have to shed salary to take on salary because Wilpons.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Sounds great. But it's the Mets and they're gonna have to shed salary to take on salary because Wilpons.

Well I guess that's the caveat but I'm not buying it anymore

We have a window of opportunity and I'm kinda sick of having to accept half measures because of those two. I'm hoping Sandy does what he wants to and is not restricted by them and their BS.

I'm not so sure they're gonna automatically shed money just cause of Ces anyway. If they did there's a couple of better options than Bruce.

It's really ****in ridiculous that the team and the fans have to have restrictions put on their expectations because of those two ****s. And then go through these crashes because Sandy has to nickel and dime the roster with this hodge podge of ill fitting pieces that Sandy put together to save them money.

It's time to get it right while the gettin's good. No half measures

I think Sandy Alderson wants to finish the job he started........ while he still can.   

Gotta protect Cespedes with a legit guy, or two. It's key.

We could have a several year run with the right couple of moves. I'd love to see Conforto, Wilmer, d'ARNAUD and some of these guys get with it, but they're not close to being in the same league with Cespedes. It's not even close.

They need another player. At least one

12 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Well I guess that's the caveat but I'm not buying it anymore

We have a window of opportunity and I'm kinda sick of having to accept half measures because of those two. I'm hoping Sandy does what he wants to and is not restricted by them and their BS.

I'm not so sure they're gonna automatically shed money just cause of Ces anyway. If they did there's a couple of better options than Bruce.

It's really ****in ridiculous that the team and the fans have to have restrictions put on their expectations because of those two ****s. And then go through these crashes because Sandy has to nickel and dime the roster with this hodge podge of ill fitting pieces that Sandy put together to save them money.

It's time to get it right while the gettin's good. No half measures

I think Sandy Alderson wants to finish the job he started........ while he still can.   

Gotta protect Cespedes with a legit guy, or two. It's key.

We could have a several year run with the right couple of moves. I'd love to see Conforto, Wilmer, d'ARNAUD and some of these guys get with it, but they're not close to being in the same league with Cespedes. It's not even close.

They need another player. At least one

I agree it's ridiculous, but that's been the situation for quite some time now. There's no point in debating what we will or won't accept.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I agree it's ridiculous, but that's been the situation for quite some time now. There's no point in debating what we will or won't accept.

I think it may change somewhat. Not as much as it should. And it has gotten better little by little.

And I'm not writing off that there's a good chance Sandy may be able to add to the team, and that just because we sign Cespedes doesn't mean he'll settle for mediocrity otherwise, and have to dump a good player because of his salary, or not spend a little more for a real bonafide player, just because they sign an obvious, essential, no brainer piece, to help the team compete at all.

I'm looking at how to make the team better. Not how to save the Coupons money because the poor bastards have to pay Cespedes. Or what scrubs we may or may not get something out of come the dog days of summer

I'm expecting a higher payroll

We shall see tho.

Archived