10,357 snaps & counting... D'Brickashaw Ferguson's ironman streak for jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

D'Brickashaw Ferguson did it again. He made it through the entire season without missing a single offensive snap, keeping his mind-blowing Ironman streak intact.

In 10 seasons, the New York Jets' left tackle hasn't missed a game (160 starts) or a play due to injury (10,357 snaps). The only time he wasn't on the field was the final play of the 2008 season, when the soon-to-be-fired Eric Mangini removed the entire offensive line for a gadget play that didn't work.It has been a truly remarkable run of durability by Ferguson, who has yet to appear on the injury report ... in a decade. The man hasn't missed a practice due to an injury ... ever.

This season, he was the only player on the Jets (offense and defense) to log every snap. Ferguson played 1,114 snaps, according to the NFL. Left guard James Carpenter (1,111) was close behind. Safety Marcus Gilchrist was the leader on defense, with 1,051 out of 1,056.Ferguson will have to re-work his contract in the offseason. His cap charge is $14.1 million, which is too much. He didn't have his best season. According to the stats-based web site ProFootballFocus.com, he allowed 39 quarterback hurries, tied for the sixth-most among tackles.

>       http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/57814/dbrickashaw-fergusons-ironman-streak-for-jets-10357-snaps-and-counting

He's not go he's not going anywhere. He may not be the best, but he's still a very good LT in the league. They are extremely hard to replace. I'd rather keep him than to spend a very high draft pick on another. He may restructure but either way, we are not release g or trading him while creating yet another need on the OL in the process. 

He's not go he's not going anywhere. He may not be the best, but he's still a very good LT in the league. They are extremely hard to replace. I'd rather keep him than to spend a very high draft pick on another. He may restructure but either way, we are not release g or trading him while creating yet another need on the OL in the process. 

he is going to have to restructure and I don't think retirement is out of the question.  Read his article from a week or 2 ago about his feelings about how the NFL lied to players and put them in jeopardy.

he is going to have to restructure and I don't think retirement is out of the question.  Read his article from a week or 2 ago about his feelings about how the NFL lied to players and put them in jeopardy.

He's not leaving seven 0s on the table. Can you find the article though?

He's not leaving seven 0s on the table. Can you find the article though?

some people are motivated by more than money and I would think it's easier to walk away w/ as much as he has.  not saying he will but even if he comes back it will likely be at a reduced rate and he may say he's not interested.  I am 100% speculating, I hope he is back.  he is an all time great Jet even though his play is declining.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/12/29/dbrickashaw-ferguson-concussion-movie-cte

Here we go again. Did you read the article? DBrick was ranked 6th "worst" LT in the league in regard to giving up QB pressures. The biggest issue with Dbrick is that he's never been very good at run blocking, so defenses on the left side of our line don't even worry about runs coming that way. Just think of EVERY long run by Ivory, they ALWAYS go to the right. Ridley vs Buffalo? right. Sometimes the way to slow down edge pass rushers is run right at them. 

Dbrick is an all time great Jet but his time has come if he's going to cripple our salary cap. No way in hell we're paying him 14 million. I'd rather grab Russell Okung & pay him 9/10 million & use the other 4 million for a 3rd WR that can catch the damn ball.

I think we all as Jet fans overrate our players. How much do you think another team would pay Dbrick? Or Mo? Or Ivory? Or Powell? Or Fitzy? Or Kerley (Idzik way overpaid), or Cromarty? 

Here we go again. Did you read the article? DBrick was ranked 6th "worst" LT in the league in regard to giving up QB pressures. The biggest issue with Dbrick is that he's never been very good at run blocking, so defenses on the left side of our line don't even worry about runs coming that way. Just think of EVERY long run by Ivory, they ALWAYS go to the right. Ridley vs Buffalo? right. Sometimes the way to slow down edge pass rushers is run right at them. 

Dbrick is an all time great Jet but his time has come if he's going to cripple our salary cap. No way in hell we're paying him 14 million. I'd rather grab Russell Okung & pay him 9/10 million & use the other 4 million for a 3rd WR that can catch the damn ball.

I think we all as Jet fans overrate our players. How much do you think another team would pay Dbrick? Or Mo? Or Ivory? Or Powell? Or Fitzy? Or Kerley (Idzik way overpaid), or Cromarty? 

Mo gets a fortune anywhere he goes.

The rest are replacable assets that most here know are replaceable and are hardly overrated by anyone.  Especially dollar wise.  Find a post where anyone thinks any of these guys get paid anything significant over what we would pay on the open market

some people are motivated by more than money and I would think it's easier to walk away w/ as much as he has.  not saying he will but even if he comes back it will likely be at a reduced rate and he may say he's not interested.  I am 100% speculating, I hope he is back.  he is an all time great Jet even though his play is declining.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/12/29/dbrickashaw-ferguson-concussion-movie-cte

You may be right. But if he had known back in 2006 what the NFL was on to with respect to concussions, he wouldn't have spent an extra second on signing the $11 mil deal as a rookie or the subsequent $60 mil extension. It's very easy to be dishearted now after having made a lot of money. I still doubt he walks away from another $10 mil, but on the same account, it also leaves him some leverage in negotiations.  He may not want the come back at 7-8 mil a year. Either way, a lot of the cap charge is part of the restructures that's being pushed back as dead money and is now a bigger part of his salary charge ($5+ mil). We'll save $9 mil of pure cap if released or traded. That's still something. I sense us going OT early in the draft (2nd round?) and letting him develop a year, eventually replacing Brick. 

Ask teams with no LT how it is to have your franchise Qb getting ass smacked each game.  By all means ask drick about a restructure or what they can do but no way in the world should they just get rid of him.  If you do then you can move all other needs down a full round because we will have to draft a lt, who may not even be good at all.

its always awkward to ask aging vets to take less, but I think brick want to retire here.  perfect home run 1st round pick for me is a guy who can play RT for a year then move over to the left

do those guys exist ?

its always awkward to ask aging vets to take less, but I think brick want to retire here.  perfect home run 1st round pick for me is a guy who can play RT for a year then move over to the left

do those guys exist ?

He's only played for the Jets, and he went to high school about 15 minutes from Hofstra. I'm sure he'd love to retire here. Of course, it's also unlikely that he'd be offered anything more on the open market than the Jets will be suggesting to him in the form of a pay cut. 

He's only played for the Jets, and he went to high school about 15 minutes from Hofstra. I'm sure he'd love to retire here. Of course, it's also unlikely that he'd be offered anything more on the open market than the Jets will be suggesting to him in the form of a pay cut. 

he won't hit a home run, but a bunch of teams could use him and all you need is 2 teams to start a war.  I hope they don't let him see the open market

This streak is simply mind blowing. Like it is almost impossible to not have someone roll your ankle. Even just a minor ailment where you miss a series or two. Just insane how impressive this streak is.

DBrick is an all time Jets player. I do not think we will get another top 10 LT to replace him if he leaves. He does have leverage.

Well we won't have a top 10 LT if he stays. This was the year to see if better coaching and scheming and a better LG next to him would help him regain some of his old form. It didn't. He got even worse. 

His streak is impressive but that's not a reason to keep him. I didn't know he was still among the worst LTs in protecting his QB, and that's with a QB who generally gets rid of it right away. He doesn't get to blame Geno or Sanchez this time. 

I hate the idea of creating a hole and heading into the draft where we're forcing our hand in either rounds 1 or 2 (as likely as not, round 1 when it's LT we'd have a hole at because it's not like most positions where a rookie can get subbed in & out until he's ready for full time. 

Still, he's not worth a $14M hit. Probably not half that after the year he just had, continuing a steady decline that began years ago. 

Well we won't have a top 10 LT if he stays. This was the year to see if better coaching and scheming and a better LG next to him would help him regain some of his old form. It didn't. He got even worse. 

His streak is impressive but that's not a reason to keep him. I didn't know he was still among the worst LTs in protecting his QB, and that's with a QB who generally gets rid of it right away. He doesn't get to blame Geno or Sanchez this time. 

I hate the idea of creating a hole and heading into the draft where we're forcing our hand in either rounds 1 or 2 (as likely as not, round 1 when it's LT we'd have a hole at because it's not like most positions where a rookie can get subbed in & out until he's ready for full time. 

Still, he's not worth a $14M hit. Probably not half that after the year he just had, continuing a steady decline that began years ago. 

I know that we had some dispute last season about DBrick. He still played adequately. In the Patriot game you did not even here from Jones as DBrick shut his @ss down. Surely he is getting up there and not as quick as he used to be. After all he has been through it should be expected.

It looks as though you have a hard on for him despite the fact that snap in and snap out he has been there for the NY Jets.  You should appreciate his playing time. It will be very difficult to replace him. I am quite sure that DBrickhas played through many injuries. He is tough and durable. A great value for a first round pick. I wish the Jets could hit like that on all of their first rounders.

RT is more of an issue as Ithinkthat DBrick can play at least one more year as a starter here at LT. He may need some help at times but to chop up a top OL like that is asking for trouble on a 10 win team. 

If this tam wants to go to the playoffs next season, they need to keep DBrick and hope he plays every snap once again. Durability counts.

I know that we had some dispute last season about DBrick. He still played adequately. In the Patriot game you did not even here from Jones as DBrick shut his @ss down. Surely he is getting up there and not as quick as he used to be. After all he has been through it should be expected.

It looks as though you have a hard on for him despite the fact that snap in and snap out he has been there for the NY Jets.  You should appreciate his playing time. It will be very difficult to replace him. I am quite sure that DBrickhas played through many injuries. He is tough and durable. A great value for a first round pick. I wish the Jets could hit like that on all of their first rounders.

RT is more of an issue as Ithinkthat DBrick can play at least one more year as a starter here at LT. He may need some help at times but to chop up a top OL like that is asking for trouble on a 10 win team. 

If this tam wants to go to the playoffs next season, they need to keep DBrick and hope he plays every snap once again. Durability counts.

I already said his (durability) streak is impressive. You really are overrating him. He's merely ok in pass blocking alone, and that's despite a QB who gets rid of right away (for better or for worse). He's overpaid for his worth by at least double. He isn't particularly good and is - and has been - getting progressively worse every year for some time now. He will be even worse next year. We will never get better play at left tackle until he's replaced. And what's worse, his cap number is scheduled to be in the mega-star stratosphere. The only likely way that gets lowered (and it wouldn't get lowered by that much) is with a guaranteed contract for next year or more. Screw that.

Being a solid draft pick ten years ago is totally and completely meaningless today. 

do those guys exist ?

Sign Andre Smith, Sebastian Vollmer, oooooor uum....so just one of those two, I think. Heavy preference for Smith!

Archived