Just a reminder of how far we've come

drsamuel84

Losing this week sucked and will definitely make watching the playoff this week tough to swallow.  However, just wanted to post a little reminder of how far we've come.  Looking back, you can see why we were viewed as such a circus celebrating a meaningless win to get us to 8-8 just two years ago.  Even our owner seems to have a much different attitude about expectations.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jets-Locker-Room-Exclusive---Rex-Retained-as-Coach/ac9d869a-d78d-410a-b819-055f06ccf75c

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only acceptable outcome for some of these mental gymnasts is going from 4-12 to a superbowl victory. Progress is a myth apparently. 

the reality is we won't know if this was a real progress year until a few years down the road. getting close to the playoffs and choking away a spot in itself is not progress. this was not the 4-12 team talent wise, this was a very talented team.  One that should be playing in postseason and is not.

sometimes a jump to 9/10 is the start, other times it is not. we will see.

I'm not trying to make a Rex vs. Bowles or Macc Vs. Idzik/Tanny comparison.  All I'm saying is that the overall attitude of the organization has really changed from one that seemed a bit complacent with losing to one that expects more.  I think the org. has a done a good job of changing the mindset quickly.  Will a lead to a Super Bowl?  Only time will tell but the point was I like the direction and much more professional approach this organization has taken.  Let's be honest, the rest of the AFC East was probably laughing at 8-8 celebration.

So a 4 - 12 season is the same as a 10 - 6 season? Of course everybody wants them to win a Super Bowl, but from my perspective as a fan, I'd rather that all 16 weeks matter than to know that the season is over in October.

The team is heading the right direction, but let's be real. Until Brady is gone, the Jets are going to be fighting for WC spots as their way into the playoffs.

I'm not trying to make a Rex vs. Bowles or Macc Vs. Idzik/Tanny comparison.  All I'm saying is that the overall attitude of the organization has really changed from one that seemed a bit complacent with losing to one that expects more.  I think the org. has a done a good job of changing the mindset quickly.  Will a lead to a Super Bowl?  Only time will tell but the point was I like the direction and much more professional approach this organization has taken.  Let's be honest, the rest of the AFC East was probably laughing at 8-8 

Yes they were

So a 4 - 12 season is the same as a 10 - 6 season? Of course everybody wants them to win a Super Bowl, but from my perspective as a fan, I'd rather that all 16 weeks matter than to know that the season is over in October.

The team is heading the right direction, but let's be real. Until Brady is gone, the Jets are going to be fighting for WC spots as their way into the playoffs.

Been saying this about the Pats for the last few years.

As for the Jets year, it ended in disappointing style, but people are getting carried away, talking about schedules and crap. They had a good year and fell short of a great year

You don't hear Pats fans crying about next year's schedule.

I'm not trying to make a Rex vs. Bowles or Macc Vs. Idzik/Tanny comparison.  All I'm saying is that the overall attitude of the organization has really changed from one that seemed a bit complacent with losing to one that expects more.  I think the org. has a done a good job of changing the mindset quickly.  Will a lead to a Super Bowl?  Only time will tell but the point was I like the direction and much more professional approach this organization has taken.  Let's be honest, the rest of the AFC East was probably laughing at 8-8 celebration.

Miami wasn't laughing when we knocked them out of the playoffs.

The attitude has changed but it's not a winning vs. complacent attitude. 

4-12 has nothing to do w/ 10-6, the teams were very different, the talent was incredibly different.  10-6 and missing is better than 4-12 but 10-6 isn't a reason to celebrate and we have no idea what the future holds.  I love the GM/HC combo but the HC failed in a BIG spot and the Gm made a ton of easy moves last year w/ so much cap room and having to spend it.  the reality about both is we don't know yet.  I am happy w/ them and think they will be a good duo for us but we don't know.  This offseason will be huge.

Miami wasn't laughing when we knocked them out of the playoffs.

The attitude has changed but it's not a winning vs. complacent attitude. 

4-12 has nothing to do w/ 10-6, the teams were very different, the talent was incredibly different.  10-6 and missing is better than 4-12 but 10-6 isn't a reason to celebrate and we have no idea what the future holds.  I love the GM/HC combo but the HC failed in a BIG spot and the Gm made a ton of easy moves last year w/ so much cap room and having to spend it.  the reality about both is we don't know yet.  I am happy w/ them and think they will be a good duo for us but we don't know.  This offseason will be huge.

TRADES are not easy moves. I think I have said this before.

As for the offseason, so far they are off to a good start by dumping Bobby April. To me, ST coaches have to coach up players the most and he didn't do that this year

TRADES are not easy moves. I think I have said this before.

As for the offseason, so far they are off to a good start by dumping Bobby April. To me, ST coaches have to coach up players the most and he didn't do that this year

No one was trading for Fitz, we got him b/c of relationship w/ Gailey.  Not a hard move

as talented as marshall is he didn't have a great reputation around the league which is why we got him for so cheap.

he walked into a situation w/ an insane amount of cap room and having to spend.

I don't know enough about April to know if it was all his fault.  I can't fault him b/c his P kicks a 20 yd punt, I don't think we had the depth on the roster to have good STs.

No one was trading for Fitz, we got him b/c of relationship w/ Gailey.  Not a hard move

as talented as marshall is he didn't have a great reputation around the league which is why we got him for so cheap.

I don't know enough about April to know if it was all his fault.  I can't fault him b/c his P kicks a 20 yd punt, I don't think we had the depth on the roster to have good STs.

No but as I said, I personally believe it is his job to coach up the players he has. Make lemonade out of lemons. Plus of course, he could have gone to Bowles and said "we need a new punter"

As for the trades, there is something to be said for diamonds in the rough. Bears probably wish they could take that trade back.

I would not downplay the moves that Mac made. They seem like no brainers now, but I remember plenty of posts about Marshall being a locker room cancer and Ftiz being worse than Geno. Even if they were no brainers, he got them done. That's something that a lot of other QB and WR needy teams did not do.

I would not downplay the moves that Mac made. They seem like no brainers now, but I remember plenty of posts about Marshall being a locker room cancer and Ftiz being worse than Geno. Even if they were no brainers, he got them done. That's something that a lot of other QB and WR needy teams did not do.

I love what he did, I am not anti-Mac in any way.  I give him an A+ for his first year BUT most of the moves he made were not that difficult.  He had a plan to sign some big $ guys and frontload contracts so we could compete now while rebuilding.  we competed this year but we need the drafts to work out and ultimately that is how he will be judged.

This was a very successful season for the Jets. A 6 game improvement is nothing to just brush away as nothing. But the Jets have to build off of this. I believe we have the right guys for the job but we shall see.

This is the best season the Jets have had since 2010, the circus is finally gone and it looks like we are back on the right track that we veered away from for a while.

Been saying this about the Pats for the last few years.

As for the Jets year, it ended in disappointing style, but people are getting carried away, talking about schedules and crap. They had a good year and fell short of a great year

You don't hear Pats fans crying about next year's schedule.

No you don't, but the Pats are an Elite team (Tom Brady*).

We are the box of chocolates that Forest Gump talks about, "You never know what your going to get" 

Mac did some great moves, Brandon being #1 and Fitz #2. One a FA from the scrap heap, Marshall being our best 5th round pick ever.

Some solid development players and a starter. He's the key in building us a roster to compete.

Bowles overall C+, to many rookie mistakes. I had him at B- but being out coached by Ryan bumped him down.

In the modern NFL it's about having a good Offence. It trumps a Top D every time.

We spent all of our Rex error, spending to many picks on Defence. Especially on the impact player 1st round.

In this case progress can be viewed in two ways.  

First, 4-12 to 10-6 - IMO, little progress there.  Team spent a fortune, is old and built to win now.  Not a lot of youth to be excited about (some, but no franchise type player on the horizon.  And still no franchise QB.  

The other and I believe the OP's thought is that we may have found the coach and GM of the future.  It might take some time but there's hope this team's front office is heading in the right direction.  To me, that is substantial progress.  We're not winning a super bowl with the current talent and QB.  Can't blame Mac and Bowles. But the next 3-5 years can be interesting. 

In this case progress can be viewed in two ways.  

First, 4-12 to 10-6 - IMO, little progress there.  Team spent a fortune, is old and built to win now.  Not a lot of youth to be excited about (some, but no franchise type player on the horizon.  And still no franchise QB.  

The other and I believe the OP's thought is that we may have found the coach and GM of the future.  It might take some time but there's hope this team's front office is heading in the right direction.  To me, that is substantial progress.  We're not winning a super bowl with the current talent and QB.  Can't blame Mac and Bowles. But the next 3-5 years can be interesting. 

I think both Williams and Pryor will be franchise players, plus at least two of the Dlinemen. The tandem of Decker and Marshall are aboard for another two years at a minimum. The next couple of years should be good if the team stays healthy.

IMO, the rebuilding excuse is overused in the NFL. With rookie contracts only being 4 - 5 years long and teams not being able to keep all of their talent, pretty much every year needs to be viewed as win now, except in dire situations and even then, a one year pass in crapdom in the name of a rebuild is all that should tolerated.

Meh, every single time there is a regime change, this is how fans feel.  Especially if they have a decent start.   I can remember the biggest Rex/Tanny haters felating them on this very board for FINALLY having a competent FO and a great HC.  Those same people, 2 years later, were the loudest voices in the room to get those guys out of town.

I'm taking a wait and see approach this time around.  I like what I see but neither Mac or Bowles did anything that I would consider special this last season.  

Meh, every single time there is a regime change, this is how fans feel.  Especially if they have a decent start.   I can remember the biggest Rex/Tanny haters felating them on this very board for FINALLY having a competent FO and a great HC.  Those same people, 2 years later, were the loudest voices in the room to get those guys out of town.

I'm taking a wait and see approach this time around.  I like what I see but neither Mac or Bowles did anything that I would consider special this last season.  

the cycle never ends, we change coaches have early success then a couple of years later the fans turn on them. 

the reality is we won't know if this was a real progress year until a few years down the road. getting close to the playoffs and choking away a spot in itself is not progress. this was not the 4-12 team talent wise, this was a very talented team.  One that should be playing in postseason and is not.

sometimes a jump to 9/10 is the start, other times it is not. we will see.

So, were they very talented, or not even talented enough to field good special teams play?

These two sentiments infringe upon contradicting each other.

I don't actually think this team was all that talented, and the lack of roster depth exemplifies why not. I think it was more talented than we've seen here in a while, and there was great chemistry. I don't believe that when losing streaks correlate with guys like Bilal Powell and Calvin Pryor being hurt, that you can say we have a playoff caliber talent level on the team. Depth has to be there in order to not skip a beat, and to ensure things like special teams aren't losing you games.  

Losing this week sucked and will definitely make watching the playoff this week tough to swallow.  However, just wanted to post a little reminder of how far we've come.  Looking back, you can see why we were viewed as such a circus celebrating a meaningless win to get us to 8-8 just two years ago.  Even our owner seems to have a much different attitude about expectations.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Jets-Locker-Room-Exclusive---Rex-Retained-as-Coach/ac9d869a-d78d-410a-b819-055f06ccf75c

Lol.. Come on. We were a favorite in a win and we're in situation against last years coach and lost, you think it's indicative of a larger organizational change in mindset that we weren't excited by this? In 2013 we won our last 2 to finish .500 and our rookie QB who had sucked all year played somewhat competently in the last 2 games. The different reactions are relative to the situation of the last game and the simple fact that one was a win and the other a loss, not absolute in response to the seasons final record. I'm sure you wpn't find pictures of the Jets celebrating the Steelers AFCC game loss.

So, were they very talented, or not even talented enough to field good special teams play?

These two sentiments infringe upon contradicting each other.

I don't actually think this team was all that talented, and the lack of roster depth exemplifies why not. I think it was more talented than we've seen here in a while, and there was great chemistry. I don't believe that when losing streaks correlate with guys like Bilal Powell and Calvin Pryor being hurt, that you can say we have a playoff caliber talent level on the team. Depth has to be there in order to not skip a beat, and to ensure things like special teams aren't losing you games.  

no one questions marshall's talent, it was the LR stuff.  he came here with a great attitude and formed a lethal combo w/ Decker which helped a journeyman QB have a career year. 

we didn't have any huge injuries w/ prolonged absences,   The depth was not great(it's hard t have great depth in the cap era) but we more than enough talent to be a playoff team.  depth or lack of depth did not cost us a playoff spot.  showing up unprepared and uninspired in Buffalo cost us a playoff game,

Well Brady was hurt. That helped

if Brady is healthy they likely don't win the division but they probably still go 11-5.  the WC caught everyone off guard and the D was good but w/o us giving them Chad no way do they win 11.  that season was a lot like this(minus Brady injury) in that the AFC was weak and the sched was really weak.

if Brady is healthy they likely don't win the division but they probably still go 11-5.  the WC caught everyone off guard and the D was good but w/o us giving them Chad no way do they win 11.  that season was a lot like this(minus Brady injury) in that the AFC was weak and the sched was really weak.

The AFC was weak and a 10 win team is left out? Doesn't make sense

Honestly, the difference between 10-6 and missing and 11-5 and losing in the first round is very minute. There are no "making the playoffs" trophies. If the goal was to win the Super Bowl, they were never going to do that.

actually the difference is HUGE. when you make the playoffs you have accomplished something, not the ultimate goal but you have accomplished one of your goals.  Not one player in the league would rather be us w/ 10 wins than Wash or Hou w/ 9 wins or even Car last year w/ 7.  the game is played to try to win championships, you cannot do that w/o making the playoffs first.

actually the difference is HUGE. when you make the playoffs you have accomplished something, not the ultimate goal but you have accomplished one of your goals.  Not one player in the league would rather be us w/ 10 wins than Wash or Hou w/ 9 wins or even Car last year w/ 7.  the game is played to try to win championships, you cannot do that w/o making the playoffs first.

The accomplishment is mental only. No trophies for making the playoffs EXCEPT for winning the division.

This year the team has the talent to win. Next year they need to learn how to win and develop a killer instinct

The AFC was weak and a 10 win team is left out? Doesn't make sense

makes perfect sense.  the top teams fattened up by beating the bottom teams.  we beat 2 teams all year w/ winning records and one was playing awful at the time we beat them(wash) and the other was also struggling and really beat up.  Good teams take care of business by beating bad teams but it fattened records. 

Archived