Geno Smith '10 Times' as Motivated for Next Year

JetBlue

It is no secret I have been a supporter of Geno Smith in the past but was quick to move on once Fitz took over and supported him 100%.  I came across this article on the Jets website and I was impressed on how Smith has conducted himself this past season.   I believe he has grown a lot as both a man and hopefully as a player; he has nothing but praise for Fitz and the way he goes about his business.  I said before and I will say it again. IK did both the Team and Geno a favor.... sometimes things happen for a reason. 

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Geno-Smith-10-Times-as-Motivated-for-Next-Year/0649fe24-8e3e-4bb5-b23e-f5d328f2389a

Geno Smith '10 Times' as Motivated for Next Year

Posted Jan 6, 2016

•  
  •  

QB Adds to His Jets/NFL Experience with This Season's Backup Role, Still Believes in His Ability

Smith-Geno-110915-Al-Pereira-article.jpg

Geno Smith's first two words of his response to one of the first questions he fielded Monday — "Somber, man" — was in regard to the mood of the Jets' locker room a day after their 22-17 loss at Buffalo.

Some might think he'd answer the same way about his third NFL season. But that's not the way Smith rolled all year and it's not the way he answered reporters as he and his teammates cleaned out their lockers and scattered for parts unknown.

"I mean, it's always tough as a competitor," he said of his very limited regular-season action behindRyan Fitzpatrick. "But I did my best to help out in any way I could all year long, with supporting my teammates helping prepare, helping with the game plan, giving a defensive look when I had to, and just really trying to improve myself."

Smith was and is in a position not very common among NFL quarterbacks. He started 29 games his first two seasons at the Jets helm and was preparing to start a third before the unfortunate locker room incident that resulted in his broken jaw. Fitzpatrick stepped in and guided the Jets to 10-6, with his only time off coming after he suffered his left thumb injury early in Game 7 at Oakland.  In a small way, Smith had a hand in a big franchise record. He contributed two touchdown passes in the 34-20 loss to the Raiders, which combined with Fitzpatrick's 31 for 33 TD passes, tying the team single-season record set in 1998.

Smith was asked if 2015 was a humbling experience for him and he agreed, to a point.

"Yeah, but has it humbled me? I've always been humble, I've always taken that approach. I don't really think that I think too highly of myself as far as being a big-headed guy," he said. "My parents instilled that in me and they always told me to rely on that, so that's what I do and I just keep things in perspective."

Perhaps a better adjective than "humbling" about his experience the past five months would be "learning."

"I learned a lot about how to support guys, how to influence guys from a different role, how to be less about myself and more about the team," Smith said. "I learned a lot about X's and O's. I think Chan [Gailey]'s a great coach, Kevin [Patullo]'s a great coach.

"And Fitz is an extremely smart guy, so I've taken a lot from that guy. I learned so many things that I can't really put them all out there. But I learned a lot."

Talk about Fitzpatrick and Smith in the same breath prompts reporters and fans to think about the 2016 dynamic if Fitzpatrick is re-signed. Head coach Todd Bowles spoke highly about how Smith handled his unexpected backup situation this year.

"I like Geno Smith as a quarterback and a person as well," Bowles said. "I thought Geno was very mature as a person, I thought he was very mature as a quarterback. I thought he handled everything well. I thought he took all his reps. I thought he got better as a person and I was very proud of what he did this year."

But as for next season, Bowles left no doubt about Fitzpatrick's status: "If he comes back, he'll be the starter."

Many would like answers today, yet certain personnel matters just won't be resolved sooner than April, or July, or September. Smith wasn't going to be goaded into a QB controversy so quickly nor about whether he'd ask the Jets to move him to another team. He's still a Jet, he has confidence in his abilities and his work ethic, and he's going into this offseason the only way he knows how.

"I'm going to work extremely hard, get bigger, get stronger, take full advantage of the weightroom, and just continue to strive for what I've always been striving for. I'm not going to change the way I go about things because I've always worked hard and I've always had the right mindset, but I have to work 10 times harder because I've got 10 times more motivation," he said.

"I guess if you're saying I don't have an opportunity here, I don't believe that. We don't know what's going to happen. We have to all wait and see."

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Sanchez was once pretty motivated too. 

I'm glad Geno was a good soldier last season.  It prevented us from needing to rush Petty onto the field at any point in time.  But unless we add no QB's this offseason (unlikely) and/or let Fitzpatrick walk in free agency (also seems unlikely), he'll be taking that motivation elsewhere.  And ultimately that might be the best thing for him. 

He is a turd. We need him off the team as soon as possible

Seems Bowles disagrees with you (at least in public) 

"I like Geno Smith as a quarterback and a person as well," Bowles said. "I thought Geno was very mature as a person, I thought he was very mature as a quarterback. I thought he handled everything well. I thought he took all his reps. I thought he got better as a person and I was very proud of what he did this year." - Todd Bowles

Mark Sanchez was once pretty motivated too. 

I'm glad Geno was a good soldier last season.  It prevented us from needing to rush Petty onto the field at any point in time.  But unless we add no QB's this offseason (unlikely) and/or let Fitzpatrick walk in free agency (also seems unlikely), he'll be taking that motivation elsewhere.  And ultimately that might be the best thing for him. 

**** Mark Sanchez this has nothing to do with him so please don't create straw man arguments. 

Who do you recommend bringing in that is better prepared to back up Fitz (in Gaileys system) or compete against him?   Why not just let him and Petty compete for the back up positions?  You have two young, quarterbacks on cheap contracts, one with 2 years starting experience and both with a year learning the system from the sidelines.  Get over your Geno hate for second and allow your common sense to prevail.  To your last point, I might actually agree with you. 

**** Mark Sanchez this has nothing to do with him so please don't create straw man arguments.

Who do you recommend bringing in that is better prepared to back up Fitz (in Gaileys system) or compete against him?   Why not just let him and Petty compete for the back up positions?  You have two young, quarterbacks on cheap contracts, one with 2 years starting experience and both with a year learning the system from the sidelines.  Get over your Geno hate for second and allow your common sense to prevail.  To your last point, I might actually agree with you. 

Well Mrs. Smith,  I am thanking god everyday that Geno won't be on this team next year.  

I'm advocating us drafting another QB and letting him and Petty battle in camp for the # 2 job.  Fitzpatrick will be the starter next year if he comes back, of this there can be no doubt, so we might as well bring in another young guy to develop. 

Fitz doesn't need a veteran backup, and there's no point in continuing to invest time and energy into Geno when he's going to be a free agent after 2016 anyways.  Fitz and Petty were chosen by Macc and Bowles, Geno is a holdover from a previous regime.  Add another young QB of their choosing, in the hopes that he or Petty turn into the franchise guy some day.  That's how we maximize our roster spots.

I'm advocating us drafting another QB and letting him and Petty battle in camp for the # 2 job.  Fitzpatrick will be the starter next year if he comes back, of this there can be no doubt, so we might as well bring in another young guy to develop. 

Fitz doesn't need a veteran backup, and there's no point in continuing to invest time and energy into Geno when he's going to be a free agent after 2016 anyways.  Fitz and Petty were chosen by Macc and Bowles, Geno is a holdover from a previous regime.  Add another young QB of their choosing, in the hopes that he or Petty turn into the franchise guy some day.

Okay those are valid points.  Thanks for making a reasoned response other than "Geno SUCKS!"

Except I don't want Fitz as the QB next year dummy!

I can live with him though because he does not suck at football like your boy does.

Ether way Geno Smith will not be a NYJ in 2016 and for this I am thankful.

Dude can you have conversation without resorting to name calling. Grow the **** up will you?   Geno is not "my boy" and you have NO IDEA if Geno will be on the team or not unless you really are Mrs. Bowles.  

Does anybody think Bowles would say anything else about a player on the team?

Plus, it's not really hard to say a person has matured when they started as such an immature place at the beginning of the season.

He didn't have to comment about at all. Why not just take what he has to say at face value and leave it at that?   Is it possible that he really means what he says? 

Dude can you have conversation without resorting to name calling. Grow the **** up will you?   Geno is not "my boy" and you have NO IDEA if Geno will be on the team or not unless you really are Mrs. Bowles.  

I call you names because your opinion has no truth to it.  You think Geno does not suck and he does.  There is nothin g else to say about it.

He will be cut and I will bet what ever you like on it.

I also would think you will go root for what ever team he lands on because I don't think you are a Jets fan, I think you are a Geno fan just like the Tebow homers that once came here and posted.

He didn't have to comment about at all. Why not just take what he has to say at face value and leave it at that?   Is it possible that he really means what he says? 

i imagine on some level bowles feels for what happened to geno and what he had to endure while fitzy was playing well.  the coach said the right things.

To be fair, anytime the camera caught Geno on the Jets sideline this year he was side by side with the Jets QB coach/playcaller Patullo. Now does that mean if he entered a game that he'd refrain from making the same stupid mistakes? Probably not. But it was a better look than if he was to be sulking on the bench

I call you names because your opinion has no truth to it.  You think Geno does not suck and he does.  There is nothin g else to say about it.

He will be cut and I will bet what ever you like on it.

I also would think you will go root for what ever team he lands on because I don't think you are a Jets fan, I think you are a Geno fan just like the Tebow homers that once came here and posted.

So that gives you the right to call someone names because my "opinion" has no truth in it?  Do you even read before you post?  It is called an opinion for a reason. Seriously guy, it ain't that serious.  I mean I assume you are over 12. 

You would also be wrong on all accounts but that is okay because you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  I don't care to bet because that strikes me as stupid and childish.  I think you need to have a cup of de-caf. You are WAY to tense over this.  I have followed this team since the 70's and don't feel the need to prove how much of a fan I am . You can feel free to ignore my posts if you like. 

So that gives you the right to call someone names because my "opinion" has no truth in it?  Do you even read before you post?  It is called an opinion for a reason. Seriously guy, it ain't that serious.  I mean I assume you are over 12.

You would also be wrong on all accounts but that is okay because you are certainly entitled to your opinion.  I don't care to bet because that strikes me as stupid and childish.  I think you need to have a cup of de-caf. You are WAY to tense over this.  I have followed this team since the 70's and don't feel the need to prove how much of a fan I am . You can feel free to ignore my posts if you like. 

I am to tense?  ha   You posted this article in a thread and then started an entirerly new thread with it.    You are just pushing the fact that you are a huge Geno fan and hate that he has become nothing.  You can push your aganda all you want it will not make you right. 

My favorite shot of geno this year was seeing his reaction on the sidelines to the Decker TD catch vs the Pats in Overtime. Watch NFL Rewind from the game......

They show a shot of Sideline reaction after the TD. ALMOST the entire Sideline goes NUTS and runs on the field. Geno? Standing there with his hands at the neckline of his shoulderpads....looks down at the ground, takes a step on the field, and spits on the ground....

Thats the lasting image of Geno Smith. Moody, entitled, selfish.

I am to tense?  ha   You posted this article in a thread and then started an entirerly new thread with it.    You are just pushing the fact that you are a huge Geno fan and hate that he has become nothing.  You can push your aganda all you want it will not make you right. 

My friend, can I call you friend  ^_^? I am not pushing for anything; I realize that Geno is hot button topic and either folks hate him or REALLY HATE HIM. I mentioned in the beginning that I supported him as well as Fitz when he became the starter  so there is no agenda other than to see what he could have done with a real team around him.  That didn't happen, so oh well.  

I thought it was an interesting article because it was an example of someone being humiliated and humbled and how they responded to that adversity.  If the team cuts him out right, I will wish him well and keep it moving.  If he plays well and we can actually get something of value for him even better.  Either way, life goes on. 

Seems Bowles disagrees with you (at least in public) 

"I like Geno Smith as a quarterback and a person as well," Bowles said. "I thought Geno was very mature as a person, I thought he was very mature as a quarterback. I thought he handled everything well. I thought he took all his reps. I thought he got better as a person and I was very proud of what he did this year." - Todd Bowles

And "the Coaching Staff will remain the same next year".

Ask Bobby April how that one worked out.

Archived