Kenbrill Thompkins Was Not at Fault

JetBlue

Butler simply made a great play on the ball and knocked it away with his shoulder before Thompkins had a chance to do anything.  If anything Thompkins should be commended for not short arming the ball as the defender closed in on him.  I like Thompkins and I think he is getting a bad rap on this play.  He was wide open and if Fitz had got the ball to him a second or two earlier he makes that catch.  Of course it should never have come down to that in the first place. 

not sure that anyone disagrees with you.. but thanks for the thread.

of course, that would've went down as one of the best plays in history if he somehow holds on and bounces off that hit for a TD... and i would've died from a heart attack before i hit 40

One of those situations where it never should have come down to a miraculous play to win that game.  We had lots of chances earlier on to take control but never did.  This game was a failure in all 3 phases, sadly.  That play was just the finishing blow.

I also think it was kind of indicative of the entire game; another missed opportunity. 

not sure that anyone disagrees with you.. but thanks for the thread.

of course, that would've went down as one of the best plays in history if he somehow holds on and bounces off that hit for a TD... and i would've died from a heart attack before i hit 40

I guess you missed some of the threads posts after the game.  Folks wanted him tarred and feathered; set on fire and THEN run out of town.  And that was just for starters...

He's a jag that won't even be on the team next year.

Actually, I think he proved himself to be a solid 4th WR with big play potential who could step in for an injured starter and make some big plays. Hopefully, Devin Smith emerges and Marshall/Decker stay healthy, but I wouldn't be so quick to cut this guy. 

Butler simply made a great play on the ball and knocked it away with his shoulder before Thompkins had a chance to do anything.  If anything Thompkins should be commended for not short arming the ball as the defender closed in on him.  I like Thompkins and I think he is getting a bad rap on this play.  He was wide open and if Fitz had got the ball to him a second or two earlier he makes that catch.  Of course it should never have come down to that in the first place. 

I think if Tompkins was aware of his situation and was focused on catching the ball more than going 70 yards, he could have made that catch, went OB, and we have the ball on the 30.  

Butler made a very good play.  However, I still think Tompkins could have made the play, either my jumping up to catch the ball and getting out, or just by holding onto it (much harder, Butler went right for it).  While it would have been an unbelievable play if he holds it and scores, it wasn't an unrealistic play.  

It may have looked like the defender made a great play, and the result was great, but it was VERY risky.  Make the hit and stop him on the 30, and you don't lose.  He went for the knockout and it worked..... if it doesn't, they lose.   Of course, they were playing with nothing to lose anyway.

I think if Tompkins was aware of his situation and was focused on catching the ball more than going 70 yards, he could have made that catch, went OB, and we have the ball on the 30.  

Butler made a very good play.  However, I still think Tompkins could have made the play, either my jumping up to catch the ball and getting out, or just by holding onto it (much harder, Butler went right for it).  While it would have been an unbelievable play if he holds it and scores, it wasn't an unrealistic play.  

It may have looked like the defender made a great play, and the result was great, but it was VERY risky.  Make the hit and stop him on the 30, and you don't lose.  He went for the knockout and it worked..... if it doesn't, they lose.   Of course, they were playing with nothing to lose anyway.

Great point; if the playoffs were on the line for them, Butler may have played it differently.  As it was, he really did make a great play hitting the ball with his shoulder before Thompkins could position the ball securely.  Maybe a better receiver would be able see the defender and position his body so the ball is not directly hit; who knows?  Bottom line is another agonizing Jets loss and another off season of what ifs. 

I agree the defender made a nice play but I also thought Fitz may have floated that ball up there a little too long. If Fitz threw a little more of a line drive type pass I think it definitely would've been caught 

However he threw it was probably the best way because if he threw it quicker on the line the DB may have taken a different angle for a tackle attempt.  The result of a lightly floated ball led to that very close catch.  Man it was so close.

The game was over the minute the whistle blew.  No one play determined the game.  We werent ready to be a playoff team.

Yup.  I don't blame Tompkins for the loss.  But I also had confirmed that he's not a clutch/money player.  

There are few opportunities to make a name for yourself in the NFL.  That was one of them for Tompkins.  Defender or not, if he wants to be a star, Tompkins needed to hold onto that pass and score.

If he catches that ball and walks into the end zone, the Jets would have rolled through the postseason and won the Super Bowl. Because if Fitpatrick completes a bomb like that this team would have been convinced there is no way they would lose.

That said he didn't catch the ball. It was knocked out and would have taken an amazing play to hold on to it.

If he catches that ball and walks into the end zone, the Jets would have rolled through the postseason and won the Super Bowl. Because if Fitpatrick completes a bomb like that this team would have been convinced there is no way they would lose.

That said he didn't catch the ball. It was knocked out and would have taken an amazing play to hold on to it.

that's all ya got??

Yup.  I don't blame Tompkins for the loss.  But I also had confirmed that he's not a clutch/money player.  

There are few opportunities to make a name for yourself in the NFL.  That was one of them for Tompkins.  Defender or not, if he wants to be a star, Tompkins needed to hold onto that pass and score.

definitely agree.  We didn't lose because of Tompkins.  I don't even think we lost because of Fitzpatrick.  I think the D plan of playing zone and playing 10 yards off all day just gave them free first down after first down 

He dropped more than just that ball and on that one in particular he could possibly have turned around and protected the catch with his body...Him and Enunwa in general have shlt hands...Kerley deserved burn in that game and once again didn't get it...

My thoughts as well.  He could have gone up for the ball instead of basket over the shoulder catch closer to his stomach. Not roasting the guy for our loss but they play was there to be made and if he took to coaching things may have been different.  For one thing, the smaller defender wouldnt have been able to get his shoulder close to the ball with how tall Kenbrell is...

People want to over analyze this play but it's simple.  The defender made a great play and knocked the ball out of his hands as he was bringing the pass in.  All the "he should have or could have" is nice but if a DBs helmet slams into a WRs hands as he's bringing a pass in he probably loses control of the ball.

Sometimes the other team makes a play.   

Archived