could jets show interest in Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick if available ? ? ?

kelly

NFL : 3 Potential Landing Spots for Colin Kaepernick

When Jayson Braddock of KBME in Houston first reported that San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick was on the trading block, it was not entirely unexpected. Yes, the 27-year-old signal caller has flashed signs of brilliance during his four-year NFL career, but inconsistencies and signs of immaturity have many people around the league questioning his long-term viability as a franchise quarterback. The 49ers locked up Kaepernick to a long-term extension prior to the 2014 season, but they structured it in a way that would make it relatively easy to move on from their starting quarterback at any time. With that being said, 49ers’ general manager Trent Baalke has adamantly denied all reports that he is entertaining trade offers for the Nevada Wolfpack legend.

While Baalke may be denying interest in shipping the de facto face of the franchise out of town, recent roster activity, and a seemingly clear-cut desire to move on from all things related to Jim Harbaugh, make the idea of the 49ers trading Kaepernick a very realistic possibility — particularly given his midseason benching and the disastrous state of the Bay Area team. In the event that he is indeed on the trading block, here is a look at three potential landing spots for Colin Kaepernick.

~ ~ 3.  New York Jets

After an offseason that saw the Jets trade for Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall and talented running back Zac Stacy, sign running back Stevan Ridley, and draft wide receiver Devin Smith, the Jets could suddenly be a quarterback away from having an offense that may actually strike fear into opposing defensive coordinators — and, no, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith are not real candidates for that role. New general manager Mike Maccagnan has proven that he is willing to be aggressive, and landing a player like Kaepernick could be enough to turn the Jets into a legitimate playoff contender in 2015.

rest of above article :

> http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/nfl-3-potential-landing-spots-for-colin-kaepernick.html/4/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely they should Fitzpatrick had an admirable season but not good enough to make the playoffs the goal here is to win the Super Bowl. 

It's a team sport, it's not on one guy. Fitz statically had the best season a Jet QB has had. I'm all for improving any position, but be careful what you wish for.

It's a team sport, it's not on one guy. Fitz statically had the best season a Jet QB has had. I'm all for improving any position, but be careful what you wish for.

he also was the third least accurate QB in the league, despite giving him an all-pro WR and the softest schedule in the league he still had a lower completion percentage than geno smith did in 2014. the jets need to bring in some new faces to compete at the QB position

We need to draft our QB of the future this year (at least attempt to).  We "can't wait" until next year when Fitz might be done (if he reverts back to typical Fitz) and then first decide to address the position.  Petty was a 4th rounder so let's not invest all our hope in the guy.  Maybe trade up for a Goff/Wentz type guy. 

Kirk Cousins is not happening, Kaepernik is going nowhere this offseason now that Chip Kelly is his head coach, Brees I think will make it to free agency but I think his cost is going to be a bit out of what we can afford to pay him. Our choices outside of the draft will be 1) resign Fitz 2) Trade for a Mettenburg or Glennon type guy 3) Take a shot on a lesser QB like a Flynn or a Rg3. My guess is they resign Fitz and probably pick up a #3 QB this offseason.

Spot on post. I would be happy with any scenario besides Flynn or RG3.

We need to draft our QB of the future this year (at least attempt to).  We "can't wait" until next year when Fitz might be done (if he reverts back to typical Fitz) and then first decide to address the position.  Petty was a 4th rounder so let's not invest all our hope in the guy.  Maybe trade up for a Goff/Wentz type guy. 

I would have no problem if we traded up for Wentz or traded for Glennon. I am concerned also Fitz will revert back to his old self just as he did after his big contract. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Jets’ decades-long search for a franchise quarterback could unexpectedly land them one of the most dynamic players in the league.

The Daily News has learned that embattled 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick wants out of San Francisco after a forgettable 2015 that included on-field struggles that resulted in a benching midway through the season and a coaching change after it. The Jets are his preferred destination, according to sources.The Jets are aware and intrigued by Kaepernick’s desire to play for them, but are still in the early stages of their offseason planning and evaluation, according to sources. They’re also deathly afraid of tampering (see: Darrelle Revis situation, circa 2015).General manager Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles haveexpressed their desire to re-sign impending free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick, but nothing is guaranteed. (The Jets and Fitzpatrick’s camp are expected to discuss an extension in the coming weeks.)

Although Kaepernick wants to play in New York, he still has five years remaining on a blockbuster $114 million extension signed in 2014 that includes escape hatches for his current employer. The Jets, coming off a 10-win season, would have to trade for Kaepernick or wait until he’s cut.The 49ers must make a decision to keep, trade or cut Kaepernick before April 1 when his 2016 base salary of $11.9 million becomes guaranteed. San Francisco would save $8.5 million by cutting Kaepernick, who is scheduled to have a $15.9 million cap charge this season.

The possibility of landing the 28-year-old dual-threat signal caller presents an interesting option for the Jets, who still want to bring back Fitzpatrick as a short-term solution at the right price. Kaepernick, however, offers Maccagnan and Bowles the rare opportunity to land a difference-making quarterback entering his prime at a discounted rate.It’s unclear what San Francisco’s asking price would be in a trade, but Kaepernick certainly would have to sign for less than what the 49ers are scheduled to pay on his current deal if he were cut. Would the Jets be willing to part ways with draft picks — they only have six this season, including one in each of the first four rounds — or wait for Kaepernick to be released before making a move?

The Jets — and their pair of 1,000-yard receivers — are the most enticing alternative for Kaepernick, who was considered one of the league’s bright young stars not long ago. Kaepernick, three years removed from taking the 49ers to back-to-back NFC Championship Games — and one play away from consecutive Super Bowl trips — has become disillusioned with the franchise that selected him in the second round in 2011. His frayed relationship with the team during the past year has shown no signs of improvement.rancisco head coach Chip Kelly didn’t exactly give Kaepernick a ringing endorsement last month after the dual-threat quarterback went 2-6 as a starter under train-wreck Jim Tomsula in the first year of the post Jim Harbaugh era. Owner Jed York declared last week that there’s “no question” in his mind that Kaepernick can re-gain his job as the starter."I've always had a very, very high opinion of Kap,” York said. “Kap's a great kid. He's done a lot of great things for us. Again, this is a fresh start for everybody."

Kelly’s read-option offense appears ideal for the athletic Kaepernick’s skill set, but the quarterback wants to take his talents elsewhere. Kaepernick, who had left shoulder surgery in November and right thumb and left knee surgeries last month, is rehabbing with personal trainers in Colorado rather than at the team facility.It’s unclear whether the rocky relationship can be mended, but he believes that the Jets make sense for him at this point in his career. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s success at tailoring schemes to his personnel shouldn’t be overlooked, either. In 1997, Gailey turned Steelers’ dual-threat quarterback Kordell Stewart into a game-changing force (32 total touchdowns) that got Pittsburgh to within one win of the Super Bowl.

Fitzpatrick’s leadership and production were invaluable in Bowles’ first season, but the Jets don’t have a clear-cut successor at the game’s most important position. They have no long-term solution.The brain trust is cautiously optimistic that Bryce Petty will develop into a viable option, but there is no guarantee that the investment will ultimately pay off a couple years down the road.

Kaepernick, who is 31-22 as a starter in five seasons, including four playoff wins, is five years younger than Fitzpatrick with a higher ceiling than anyone on the Jets’ roster. He went 10-14 in the past two tumultuous seasons that prompted concerns about his ability to grow and adapt.He has proven that he can win in big moments, but has he peaked? Or can he rekindle the magic with a new team? Will he even be available?

Kaepernick wants to play in New York. The Jets need to thoroughly explore the possibility.

The potential payoff is too high.

>     http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/colin-kaepernick-49ers-jets-sources-article-1.2518118

Kirk Cousins would be a dream to have. Big arm and aggressive.

Not going to happen but a guy can dream..... right Kelly?!

a dream?  Lol

Cousins had a good year last year because he faced a soft schedule with the NFC east being horrible.  I expect him to do a Matt Cassel next season.

agreed.  Just resign Fitz and draft a qb 

a dream?  Lol

Cousins had a good year last year because he faced a soft schedule with the NFC east being horrible.  I expect him to do a Matt Cassel next season.

I think the same could be said of Fitz.... Hmmmm?

Cousins is what 25 or 26? Doubt Washington lets him test FA... just throwing a name out there.

rex grossman played in a super bowl you want him?

if you want to compare Groosman to what Kaep was, go ahead and make that your case.

there are other shltty SB QBs, want to compare them to Kaeps skill set?  Somehow I doubt it.

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall appeared Wednesday morning on ESPN's bottomless cesspool of nonsense, "First Take." 

Marshall was asked about perhaps playing with 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

(There was a story about Kaepernick wanting out of San Francisco, and preferring to join the Jets. But that story is not true, as our Dom Cosentino noted.) Anyway, Marshall was asked about Kaepernick nonetheless, because it's Super Bowl week and there are many hours of television programming to fill. 

Here's what Marshall said about Kaepernick, and about the Jets' current starting quarterback, pending free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick : 

"I don't want Kaepernick. I think he's good. My guy is Fitz. It's nothing against Kaepernick. I have my quarterback, and I'm good."Ryan Fitzpatrick, I think this second half of his career is going to be an amazing one, because he's with his guy Chan Gailey [the Jets' offensive coordinator]. He's comfortable. He really owns this offense, and that's what you want out of the quarterback position." 

So there you have it. Marshall really, really wants the Jets to re-sign Fitzpatrick, and they're going to make every effort to do just that. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/jets_brandon_marshall_on_playing_with_colin_kaeper.html#incart_river_index

I think the same could be said of Fitz.... Hmmmm?

Cousins is what 25 or 26? Doubt Washington lets him test FA... just throwing a name out there.

the difference is cousins is going to want a 5-year deal which he can get from Dan Snyder.  As opposed to Fitz who will require only a 1 or 2 year deal.

Neither qb is great but I actually think Fitz is better and I'm not being a homer. 

he was never as good playing outside in the elements even when he was a top

Agreed.

what skill set?  Kaep's passing last 2 seasons has been mediocre at best

Kaep has a cannon, is fairly accurate with it, and can run like a gazelle.  The guy has a skillset.  All hell broke loose in SF over the last 2 years.  Kaep struggled quite a bit due to his own doing as well, but let's not pretend the guy is absolute doodoo.  There is a serious skillset within him

Agreed.

Kaep has a cannon, is fairly accurate with it, and can run like a gazelle.  The guy has a skillset.  All hell broke loose in SF over the last 2 years.  Kaep struggled quite a bit due to his own doing as well, but let's not pretend the guy is absolute doodoo.  There is a serious skillset within him

he has a cannon alright zero touch on his throws receivers have trouble catching even check down passes

Good to see Madden is still popular

he has a cannon alright zero touch on his throws receivers have trouble catching even check down passes

Good to see Madden is still popular

Easy killer I don't play Madden and I'm trying to have an adult debate with you.  I guess that's not possible, I'll move on. 

what skill set?  Kaep's passing last 2 seasons has been mediocre at best

Ugh, yeah.  Makes sense, just keep repeating the same thing as if he played in a bubble.  

If you need an explanation of what his skill set was, what he was able to do on the way to a SB you should stay out of the conversation because youre just not being open

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

the difference is cousins is going to want a 5-year deal which he can get from Dan Snyder.  As opposed to Fitz who will require only a 1 or 2 year deal.

Neither qb is great but I actually think Fitz is better and I'm not being a homer. 

Fitz will sign a 3 yr. deal. Hopefully year 2 and 3 are as a backup. Easy money for Fitz. 

Figure 3 yr. $25 mil Big SB which will make 1st yr. cap charge low. 

Keep the train rolling while MacDaddy keeps re-building the team faster-younger and Petty keeps developing.

Hopefully deep PO run this yr. and hope Petty can take over in '17.

While I hope Petty develops, I have zero expectations that he will.  To me, he's just a shot in the dark.  We drafted him in the 4th round in a league where QBs are in great demand.  Obviously Montana was picked in the 3rd and Brady in the 6th but those are absolutely the exceptions to the rule.  Again I hope for the best w/ Petty but I doubt the Jets are counting on him at this point.  When we drafted him, it sounded like he'd need 2 years of learning before the Jets would give him a real chance.  So basically next year we'll see if he has any potential.  Fitz had a career year for us but his track record is not good.  We need to address the QB position urgently.

A story broke Tuesday night that Colin Kaepernick wants to get out of San Francisco to play for the New York Jets. But it is just not true, per Dom Costentino of NJ.com.

The original story originated from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News as an exclusive report, though nobody else has been able to confirm Mehta’s source. It did seem to come out of left field, and there are some serious holes in the argument that the Jets would be Kaepernick’s “preferred destination.”Costentino’s source, who is “a person familiar with the situation” (likely someone in Kaepernick’s camp), says the report is not true: “No,” the person said. “Nothing. No idea where it came from. Random, strange article.”As pointed out by Costentino and many others, the Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick are both on the same page about wanting the veteran back as the starter in 2016, and there is nothing standing in the way of him re-signing with the team. He led a darn good offense last season and nearly got the Jets into the playoffs.

Meanwhile, Kaepernick was on the bench in favor of Blaine Gabbert.

With that in mind it seems completely unlikely that New York would be interested in bringing Kaepernick aboard, or that the 49ers quarterback would see New York as an attractive destination.Furthermore, to this point nobody knows how Kaepernick might fit within Chip Kelly’s plans for his offense in San Francisco. However, many, including some opposing defensive coaches, believe the quarterback would be a nightmare to defend as a read-option quarterback for the 49ers.Kaepernick torched opposing defenses in such an offense at the University of Nevada, and Kelly has long been rumored to be enamored with him for this reason. A quarterback who can run like Kap and throw it anywhere on the field could be one of the most dangerous weapons in the NFL, if put in a position to succeed.

Despite any hard feelings Kaepernick might have about how things went down the past couple of seasons, his best chance to succeed in the NFL right now still lies with the 49ers and Kelly.

>     http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-colin-kaepernick-does-not-want-to-play-for-jets/ar-BBp5br8?ocid=ansmsnsports11

That whole Colin Kaepernick-Jets business had a nice run, the internet. But it's over.

Kaepernick, the embattled 49ers quarterback, reportedly wants out of San Francisco, and vice versa. But last week, a report bubbled to the surface that said Kaepernick's "preferred destination" was the Jets, though that report was later refuted to NJ Advance Media by a person with knowledge of the situation.

That hasn't stopped the Kaepernick-Jets monster from creeping into the NFL's offseason conversation.

Another part of that initial report said the Jets were "intrigued" by the prospect of adding Kaepernick, never mind the Jets' intention—stated every which way short of flying a banner over One Jets Drive—to re-sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick, too, has made clear his desire to return. And Jets wideout Brandon Marshall did his part by basically speaking in capital letters to say he wants nothing to do with Kaepernick.

About that possible Jets interest: Multiple reports have now shot it down, and a league source with knowledge of the situation confirmed the veracity of those reports to NJ Advance Media. That source spoke on condition of anonymity.

The first to report the Jets weren't interested was Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports, who was quick on the draw as far back as last week :

Then came Tony Pauline of Draftinsider.net, a draftnik who's plugged in with a number of league scouts and personnel people:

Recently the New York Jets were linked to quarterback Colin Kaepernick but no one I've spoken with, even from Kaepernick's camp, feel there's any legitimacy in this potential move.

Got that?

The Jets aren't going to say squat about Kaepernick, owing to the league's tampering rules. Kaepernick is under contract with the 49ers through 2020, but the 49ers can void the remaining five years of his deal by cutting him by April 1.

Kaepernick may well be playing somewhere other than San Francisco in 2016. But he won't be with the Jets.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/02/jets_not_interested_in_colin_kaepernick_according.html#incart_river_index

• 3 weeks later...

-- The ability to escape is part of Colin Kaepernick's game. Now he's trying to escape the San Francisco 49ers.

Kaepernick has been the biggest story at the NFL combine. On Tuesday, the 49ers firmed up their intention to keep him. On Wednesday, Kaepernick's agents requested that the 49ers trade the quarterback.What is Kaepernick's value on the trade market? It would seem unlikely that the 49ers could match the two second-round picks they received when quarterback Alex Smith was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2013. It's debatable whether the 49ers could net much better than a fourth- or a fifth-round pick for Kaepernick.

Let's review the market :

stl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueLos Angeles Rams: Kaepernick's most logical landing spot is the Rams. Jeff Fisher wouldn't mind having a running quarterback for a running offense. Kaepernick's running ability would open up more holes for Todd Gurley. The combination of Kaepernick and Gurley could make the Rams one of the top three running teams in football. But the Rams are in the 49ers' division. They simply can't trade him to a division foe, so the Rams have to hope to get him after he's cut, and the 49ers have to steer him out of the NFC West.

cle.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueCleveland Browns: Kaepernick would be an interesting third option for new coach Hue Jackson, who liked Kaepernick when the former offensive coordinator was in Oakland. But that was in 2011. Plenty has changed since then. A new team with a new coach might prefer to go with a rookie quarterback likeJared Goff or Carson Wentz. With the roster under reconstruction, acquiring Kaepernick could create unrealistic expectations. They don't have playoff talent, especially on defense. It could benefit the 49ers to dangle Kaepernick to Cleveland for a fourth- or fifth-round pick just to keep him away from the Rams.

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueBuffalo Bills: Kaepernick's $11.9 million salary would be difficult for the Bills to squeeze into their overextended salary cap. Kaepernick would have to reduce or restructure his contract to accommodate a trade. The Bills' offensive coordinator is Greg Roman, who did wonders with Kaepernick in San Francisco. But there were issues in their last year together. Kaepernick would have to really make sacrifices to get to Buffalo, and the 49ers would have to get him there for a cheap draft choice.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true:wub:  New York Jets  :wub:  : You don't hear much from the Jets about their interest in Kaepernick. They could re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick for less money than Kaepernick could command. The Jets still don't know if Bryce Petty is the quarterback of the future. Maybe the 49ers could convince the Jets to take Kaepernick for a third-day draft choice, but it might be a tough sell.

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueHouston Texans: Bill O'Brien prefers pocket-passing quarterbacks. He runs a very complicated offensive system. O'Brien's system and Kaepernick's style aren't a good match.

>     http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14854594/trade-market-colin-kaepernick-limited-los-angeles-rams-most-likely-nfl

saw this..

~ ~ Colin Kaepernick is wrong if he indeed wants the San Francisco 49ers to trade him.And the 49ers are wrong if they seriously consider honoring his request.

Staying with the 49ers and their new coach, Chip Kelly, is Kaepernick’s best chance to re-establish himself as a reliable NFL starter next season.And keeping Kaepernick is the 49ers’ best chance, at least in the short term, to have the sort of quarterback Kelly needs to make his fast-break offense work.

Multiple reports, the first by the league-owned NFL Network, said Thursday that Kaepernick’s representatives have asked for permission from the 49ers to seek a trade. That came after 49ers officials said this week at the NFL scouting combine that they expect Kaepernick to be on their roster and have been given no indication he wants to leave.

It's   not like the once-proud 49ers have been known in recent years for making wise choices. Jed York, the team’s chief executive officer, and General Manager Trent Baalke failed to make things work with Jim Harbaugh, the abrasive-but-successful coach who restored some of the franchise’s glorious past with three straight trips to the NFC title game and a Super Bowl appearance, then promoted Jim Tomsula to replace Harbaugh and dismissed him after one season.

Now the Niners are counting on Kelly to be the coach that he was for two seasons in Philadelphia before being undone in Year 3 by his own ill-fated roster decisions when the Eagles handed control over all player-related decisions to him.

Kelly needs a quarterback. It seems unlikely that Blaine Gabbert, who took over for Kaepernick as the starter this past season, is the long-term answer. The 49ers have the No. 7 overall pick in the NFL draft and could seek their quarterback solution that way. But draft analysts say the best quarterback likely to be still available at that point in the draft, Paxton Lynch of Memphis, probably won’t be ready to be a productive starter as a rookie. Kelly once coached a 27-touchdown, two-interception season out of Nick Foles in Philadelphia. Maybe he can get the best out of Kaepernick. Maybe he can’t. But at least there is talent there, and nursing Kaepernick back to something resembling his best would give the 49ers a better quarterback than they would have by starting Gabbert or relying on a rookie.

From Kaepernick’s perspective, there are other quarterback-needy teams out there. The New York Jets have been mentioned prominently as a potential landing spot for him with last season’s starter, Ryan Fitzpatrick, eligible for free agency. But would playing for the Jets give Kaepernick a better chance to reassemble his career than playing for Kelly in San Francisco? Kaepernick might be wise to take a close look at what playing in Kelly’s offense might do for him.

Kaepernick and the 49ers need each other right now. If both sides don’t realize that, they could end up making a damaging mistake.

>    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2016/02/26/the-49ers-would-be-crazy-to-honor-colin-kaepernicks-misguided-trade-request/

Archived