Perfect Player For This Team

SR24

Tavon Austin. Line him up in the slot let him work down low under Marshall and Decker almost like an Edelman role or even out of the backfield on 3rd down. Gives us a real threat at as a KR or PR. Idk if it'd be possible to even get him or if the rams would listen but he would solve the wr3 problem and the special teams problems as well. If the rams are open to it i'd pull the trigger

Eric Decker played out of the slot a ton for the Jets this season. And he thrived there. The Jets do need a KR and PR but they need another threat besides Marshall on the outside. Not the inside. I'm sure they could find a use for him, but he's not a better receiver than Kerley and he couldn't see the field. 

Players like Austin and Kerley don't really fit in this system because they don't block and they can't take handoffs.  Maybe we can argue that Gailey needs to find a way to use underneath receivers who don't block well better.  Kerley has some skill but Gailey wasn't interested in fitting his system around it.

I think Gailey needs two more pieces to work with:

-A solid possession receiver who can play the outside to complement Decker and Marshall.  I don't know if Devin Smith fits that description, for now I just view him as a deep guy who won't get many good looks in a system with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  And Enunwa is not that guy either.  I think we need to concede that the deep ball just won't thrive with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm.  As long as we get Fitz the right underneath guys, we can still get by.

-A dual running-receiving threat.  Bilal Powell did it well late in the season when he was healthy.  He's a free agent now and they need to decide if he's their guy or someone else who's more durable.  Fortunately running back has become one of the cheaper positions in the NFL.  They should really get 2 dual threats for contingency.

I love Austin as a player, but he does not  fit a need with Decker doing a great job out of the slot. Plus I think the Jets still believe in Devin Smith. I really don't think we will address WR via FA/Trade or with one of our higher draft picks. 

I agree with jetscrazey, we need a RB that can make plays out of the backfield. We saw the difference that made when Powell was healthy and when he was hurt. We were 9-2 when Powell played (although in 1 of those wins he barely played.)  

Marvin Jones is the guy we need as the 3rd/4th WR. Good veteran with great hands, won't be elusively expensive, makes plays in big spots, had some huge 3rd down catches vs Steelers. Has enough speed to make it easier for Marshall & Decker to work, has enough experience to abuse 3rd & 4th CBs.

Eric Decker played out of the slot a ton for the Jets this season. And he thrived there. The Jets do need a KR and PR but they need another threat besides Marshall on the outside. Not the inside. I'm sure they could find a use for him, but he's not a better receiver than Kerley and he couldn't see the field. 

a pass catching tight end wouldn't hurt either. Maybe Amaro bounces back next season? That would take a ton of pressure off of Marshall and Decker. I thought Enunwa, save for that last game, played pretty well also last season. 

Ashlon Jeffery..? Marvin Jones..?

both good players who will be FA's. We need big bodies wide outs who can interchange and make 3rd down catches. As for running back, there will be plenty of great options in the draft and a few nice pick ups in FA. Same with LB because I know we need that. I say we target WR and LB in FA and draft RB and OL in the draft. We need that injection of youth along with some more seasoned players to complement the rest of the roster.

If you have an interest in Tavon Austin, then my suggestion  would be to draft Stacy Coley from the U .   Same exact player that won't cost as much and is younger.

Coley is staying for his last year and he's nothing like Tavon. I'd love Coley when he comes out. He's more of a complete WR.

Ashlon Jeffery..? Marvin Jones..?

both good players who will be FA's. We need big bodies wide outs who can interchange and make 3rd down catches. As for running back, there will be plenty of great options in the draft and a few nice pick ups in FA. Same with LB because I know we need that. I say we target WR and LB in FA and draft RB and OL in the draft. We need that injection of youth along with some more seasoned players to complement the rest of the roster.

WR is just not a position where I could see us spending any FA dollars of significance, and that includes a guy like Marvin Jones.  With Jace Amaro returning (taking a spot in our spread offense style away from a WR, when he's not handling H-Back duties) and our investment in Devin Smith, we'll likely just ride with what we have, while maybe spending a mid-late rounder on a WR if he's the BPA on our board.

a pass catching tight end wouldn't hurt either. Maybe Amaro bounces back next season? That would take a ton of pressure off of Marshall and Decker. I thought Enunwa, save for that last game, played pretty well also last season. 

Agreed on the pass catching TE. That was essentially Enunwaa this year. Let's hope Amaro can bounce back and take Enunwas spot and hold on to the easy throws he couldn't last year. The only part I would be worried about is blocking. Enunwa threw some key blocks on running plays that Amaro may not be able to replicate. 

WR is just not a position where I could see us spending any FA dollars of significance, and that includes a guy like Marvin Jones.  With Jace Amaro returning (taking a spot in our spread offense style away from a WR, when he's not handling H-Back duties) and our investment in Devin Smith, we'll likely just ride with what we have, while maybe spending a mid-late rounder on a WR if he's the BPA on our board.

this

At this point bringing in a WR is more for depth.  Not to take balls away from Decker and Marshall. 

Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, Kerley, Owusu, Thompkins, Smith - they really dont need anymore WR's.  I highly doubt them targeting one in FA.

And if they hated Kerley, which clearly the did, what does Austin provide outside of the return game? 

Decker, Enunwa, Kerley, Owusu, Thompkins, Smith - they really dont need anymore WR's.  I highly doubt them targeting one in FA.

And if they hated Kerley, which clearly the did, what does Austin provide outside of the return game? 

a dynamic home run threat from the slot and the backfield. If you cross Marshall off of your list there, the jets WR corps suddenly look like dogsh*t. If a WR1 type is available at 20 you take him

Players like Austin and Kerley don't really fit in this system because they don't block and they can't take handoffs.  Maybe we can argue that Gailey needs to find a way to use underneath receivers who don't block well better.  Kerley has some skill but Gailey wasn't interested in fitting his system around it.

I think Gailey needs two more pieces to work with:

-A solid possession receiver who can play the outside to complement Decker and Marshall.  I don't know if Devin Smith fits that description, for now I just view him as a deep guy who won't get many good looks in a system with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  And Enunwa is not that guy either.  I think we need to concede that the deep ball just won't thrive with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm.  As long as we get Fitz the right underneath guys, we can still get by.

-A dual running-receiving threat.  Bilal Powell did it well late in the season when he was healthy.  He's a free agent now and they need to decide if he's their guy or someone else who's more durable.  Fortunately running back has become one of the cheaper positions in the NFL.  They should really get 2 dual threats for contingency.

Why would you say that Austin can't take handoffs?  He had 50 carries this year and 4 rushing TDs.  I think they could use a guy like Austin or Harvin.  Not sure we'd want to spend on one, but still... 

Marvin Jones is the guy we need as the 3rd/4th WR. Good veteran with great hands, won't be elusively expensive, makes plays in big spots, had some huge 3rd down catches vs Steelers. Has enough speed to make it easier for Marshall & Decker to work, has enough experience to abuse 3rd & 4th CBs.

From what I have read the Bengals are making it a priority to sign him.  They are more likely to let Sanu become available.

a dynamic home run threat from the slot and the backfield. If you cross Marshall off of your list there, the jets WR corps suddenly look like dogsh*t. If a WR1 type is available at 20 you take him

I think that's what they think they've got in Smith.  

But sure, I get taking a draft pick.  I think 1st round might be aggressive but sure, I could see them using a pick on a WR.  I'm saying FA and in this instance, Austin  I highly doubt they add a somewhat high end FA WR.  Especially a shrimp.  They dont like Kerley for that reason alone. 

I think that's what they think they've got in Smith.  

But sure, I get taking a draft pick.  I think 1st round might be aggressive but sure, I could see them using a pick on a WR.  I'm saying FA and in this instance, Austin  I highly doubt they add a somewhat high end FA WR.  Especially a shrimp.  They dont like Kerley for that reason alone. 

I certainly hope so with smith, I'd imagine the health of his knee is going to influence the jets decisions somewhat in the draft/FA

Marshall will be 32 next season and likely gone after, I could definitely see the jets drafting a WR round 1 if he's the best player available 

Marshall isnt going anywhere.  Where the hell are you getting this nonsense.

And I've said it before, his game is not and never has been built on speed.  Unless you can explain how he'll stop being 6' 4".  Why after his 2015 season would anynone begin to make silly comments about his age.  Makes not sense.  

If the Jets are looking at an upgrade at WR....its someone to play the outside opposite Marshall.....Gailey likes to use Big WRs like Decker (and Marshall) in the slot. Tavon can't really play the outside he's more of a shifty slot guy

I think that is going to be some of Amaro's problem.  He is also a bigger slot guy, but I'm not sure he brings much to the table that Decker doesn't already provide.  He isn't going to excel as an inline TE and he doesn't deserve that many looks in the slot considering the success of Decker and Marshall.  I wonder if he can do anything outside so that they can put all three on the field  Based on camp they didn't like him much at all.

I think Enunwa is becoming the Cotchery of this unit, (save the last game he played). The running back is definitely needes

Cotchery dropped less balls his entire Jets career than Enunwa did the last three weeks.  Enunwa plays because of his blocking and gets looks because the other two and the running game draw so much attention.  There is plenty of room for another receiver to take the Kerley/Thompkins/Owusu spot.  A bunch of people wanted DGB, I wanted Conley a little later.  We ended up with Smith.  Let's see how he recovers and if a year in the system helps.

Marshall isnt going anywhere.  Where the hell are you getting this nonsense.

And I've said it before, his game is not and never has been built on speed.  Unless you can explain how he'll stop being 6' 4".  Why after his 2015 season would anynone begin to make silly comments about his age.  Makes not sense.  

because wide receivers decline with age and injuries Sherlock. Andre Johnson is a hall of famer and at age 33 is now ready for a trip to the glue factory 

because wide receivers decline with age and injuries, Sherlock 

Yes, Sherlock, as they lose their speed.  HIs game was never about speed.  Its about speed Sherlock.  Question, how much did he lose this year compared to other seasons Sherlock?

How about you list all the seasons hes been injured? Prove to all the drop off in his game youve noticed.  And of course will continue to drop off.  Because its a fact, he will play one more season and then we're fuc(ked:wacko:

Yes, Sherlock, as they lose their speed.  HIs game was never about speed.  Its about speed Sherlock.  Question, how much did he lose this year compared to other seasons Sherlock?

How about you list all the seasons hes been injured? Prove to all the drop off in his game youve noticed.  And of course will continue to drop off.  Because its a fact, he will play one more season and then we're fuc(ked:wacko:

it's not a fact, but you don't plan your future around ancient players Einstein LOL. Why do you think the Bears traded him for a 5th rounder, because he's got one maybe two good seasons left. He's even talked retirement this season so maybe you should start paying attention

Archived