PFF names "Snacks" league's best run defender

AFJF

I know, I know.  They have no idea what they're talking about...lack any knowledge of the game and don't know what they're looking at.

But, somehow determined Damon Harrison is a dominant run defender.

They got it right at least very close but last year they had Dawan Landry as a top 10 safety for us who was terrible and plays for...you guessed it..no one. Criticism is fair and everything should be taken with a grain of salt. Good for Snacks hopefully he's back.

Unless its in cookies, I don't think so. Pay him, Mo, Sheldon, and Williams? 

Sheldon and Williams are already "paid" - they're under contracts that are pretty affordable.

Paying Snacks and Mo will depend on moves we make elsewhere with our other FAs and high paid / not-so-high performing players; and on what moves we want to make elsewhere to bring in other guys.

Macc will be earning his money this year.

Snacks is the only player that I've heard Bowles gush over. He's said a lot of good things about a handful of players, but his praise is always extremely high for snacks. Have a hard time seeing him not on the team next year. 

Bowles' favorites (in order):

Gladys Knight

Snacks

Yes, but not at the same time, address Snacks this year, franchise Mo, Snacks won't last much longer, and will be off the books by the time you need to pay Sheldon, and Mo will be off the books by the time the Jets need to pay Williams.  With cap going up, and the seperation between the age of Mo, and Williams they can overlap, so Mo gone when Williams pay day comes, and Snacks will be gone when Sheldons pay day comes so your only paying 2 guys per year big money it can work.

Snacks is more important to this team than Wilkerson. He should be re-signed and let Wilkerson get tagged. 

Snacks should get 6 million per year. Muhammad Wilkerson franchise tag is 16 million.  That's 22 million dollars for those two players.   Now what if the Jets can't trade Wilkerson ( not too many teams want to take on big contract, and have to surrender draft picks also) Especially when their are some quality 3-4 De's in Fa( only need to pay them - Malik Jackson).  

Also Jets have to be careful that M Wilkerson( from New Jersey) doesn't sign that franchise tag tender- once he does Jet can't trade him.( why would he sign that because he might like some control where he goes- close to his family. ( 16 million for a year is nothing to sneeze at).

Wrong.  If Bowles is committed to the 3-4, and he is indeed all-in on it, then you don't lose one of the league's top NTs.  It is the one and only critical position.  You sign Snacks way before you make deals with Mo or any other DL.  

He, and not Mo,  the most important defensive personnel decision to be made in the off season.  

Snacks and Williams were the Jets best DLmen over the last 4-5 weeks of the season.

I've said it before but I think Snacks might be more valuable to this team than the DE's.  He destroys the LOS.  Makes it an absolute mess.  Hard to replace that. 

Snacks and Williams were the Jets best DLmen over the last 4-5 weeks of the season.

I've said it before but I think Snacks might be more valuable to this team than the DE's.  He destroys the LOS.  Makes it an absolute mess.  Hard to replace that. 

^This.  A million times over, THIS^

And I said this before, that if it came down to having to make a choice between losing Snacks or losing 1 of either Ferguson or Mangold, the OL is going to suffer that lost.  Defense wins Championships, especially defenses that can stop the run.  Our OL can't run block half as well as our Defensive Line can clog up running lanes.  I keep the defense intact as much as possible and start to rebuild the OL .   That's why I think our 1st round pick is going to be an OT.

Too many good candidates in the 1st round  who can start at either side of the OL .

And I said this before, that if it came down to having to make a choice between losing Snacks or losing 1 of either Ferguson or Mangold, the OL is going to suffer that lost.  Defense wins Championships, especially defenses that can stop the run.  Our OL can't run block half as well as our Defensive Line can clog up running lanes.  I keep the defense intact as much as possible and start to rebuild the OL .   That's why I think our 1st round pick is going to be an OT.

Too many good candidates in the 1st round  who can start at either side of the OL .

I think I'd agree.  I'd rather rebuild the OL and save money there to make it possible to keep the D intact.  However, I dont necessarily think the OL is an issue.  2nd best in sacks, top 10 run team with 1 of 7 1,000 yard rushers in the league.  It's not necessarily a sore spot, in my opinion but I'd agree, if it comes down to OL vs. DL, well, OL is going to lose.

Snacks should get 6 million per year. Muhammad Wilkerson franchise tag is 16 million.  That's 22 million dollars for those two players.   Now what if the Jets can't trade Wilkerson ( not too many teams want to take on big contract, and have to surrender draft picks also) Especially when their are some quality 3-4 De's in Fa( only need to pay them - Malik Jackson).  

Also Jets have to be careful that M Wilkerson( from New Jersey) doesn't sign that franchise tag tender- once he does Jet can't trade him.( why would he sign that because he might like some control where he goes- close to his family. ( 16 million for a year is nothing to sneeze at).

He can be traded after he signs the Franchise Tender.

Pats did it with Cassell at QB.  You have to have the cap space for him until he is moved though.

Don't pay him, let him walk.

I say this with loving the player and what he has done for the team.  Some team is going to over pay him big time because they are desperate and are near last in stopping the run  (See Cleveland).  It's just not worth it to pay interior dlineman unless they can do it all.

Archived