Eric Rogers

#bman

Right.  We should ignore all other positions and not actively try and improve the team until we figure that out.

I always love that logic.  I laugh every time a fan complains about a roster upgrade because of the QB situation, as if no improvements should be made unless you have Aaron Rodgers at QB.  How awesome would it be to finally get a great QB and then explain to him that you have no blockers or receivers for him to work with because you were just waiting for him to show up first?  Good stuff.

I always love that logic.  I laugh every time a fan complains about a roster upgrade because of the QB situation, as if no improvements should be made unless you have Aaron Rodgers at QB.  How awesome would it be to finally get a great QB and then explain to him that you have no blockers or receivers for him to work with because you were just waiting for him to show up first?  Good stuff.

Right. We essentially got nothing from our third receiver position this year.  As many drops as catches, it seemed.  This guy is not breaking the bank.  If a guy has the skills we need, I am for it.  Devin Smith, in case anyone has noticed, has proved nothing to this point.

Prudent GM's and teams look under every rock for players including the CFL for those guys that slip through the cracks.  Many examples of cfl players coming in and contributing.  Now as far as Rogers goes, worth taking a look at but even with the gaudy stats he didn't strike me as a guy that can come into he NFL and have a real impact from watching him play last year. 

One player from my Grey Cup champ hometown just signed with Arizona by the name of Dexter McCoil, really good CFL player but I would be surprised if he makes it down south.

Turning over every stone...

One of the first things that comes up on this kid is a "scouting report" by a Panthers site titled just that:

Strengths

He is a bigger kid from a small school.  He only did 9 reps on the bench, so some time growing up and playing in Canada may have done him a world of good.  He belongs in an NFL camp, why not ours?

Spot on

Irrelevant.  There is some good talent in the CFL, especially guys that just needed playing time to hone their craft.  This guy could be one of them.  He is a SOLID receiver. 

From what I've seen of the CFL they seem to run a lot of "spread concepts" that Gailey runs.

Do you have a scouting report on Rogers?

From what I've seen of the CFL they seem to run a lot of "spread concepts" that Gailey runs.

The CFL invented the spread, lol  Just like they invented the rush end, the small coverage linebacker etc etc.  :)

I saw him play a number of times last year, good player obviously, put up big numbers especially in the 1st half of the year but to me was just not eyepoppingly good, which you usually have to be to go from the CFL to the NFL.   Other canucks may have a different view on him though.

The Jets have wide outs ,running game without a top ten QB it just a waste of good player and Friz is not the answer to the jets needs.

He is 6'3" and weighs about 220.  Has great size

CFL has six receiver stats: receptions, yards, touchdowns, yards gained after the catch, plays made of thirty yards or more and catches that move the chains on second down (remember, only three downs!)  He was leading the league in every category.

He is still young (24)

Played at a VERY small school (California Lutheran)

The big knock on him was his strength.  I think a couple years in the CFL has helped with that.  He is not the greatest route runner, nor has he top end speed.  But he blocks EXTREMELY well, and makes the tough catch.  He is also a GREAT red-zone threat.

CFL has six receiver stats: receptions, yards, touchdowns, yards gained after the catch, plays made of thirty yards or more and catches that move the chains on second down (remember, only three downs!)  He was leading the league in every category.

He is still young (24)

The big knock on him was his strength.  I think a couple years in the CFL has helped with that.  He is not the greatest route runner, nor has he top end speed.  But he blocks EXTREMELY well, and makes the tough catch.  He is also a GREAT red-zone threat.

Yeah but can he play in the cold?

He is still young (24)

I think we already have that in Quincy Enuwa.

Archived