Ed Reed hired by Rex as assist. DB coach.

Villain The Foe

I cant lie, I think this could end up being a great hire. Ed Reed is one of my favorite football players. He's easily the best FS I've ever seen and is arguably the best ever. 

If he can translate his knowledge/experience into coaching then I think the Bills secondary just got even better based on this alone. I thought Rex hiring his brother was a bad idea, he's just not a good coach imo, but I think taking a chance on Ed would end up being an awesome move. Splashy Rex as usual. 

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/13/ed-reed-to-join-bills-staff-assistant-defensive-backs-coach/

Ed Reed to join Bills staff as assistant defensive backs coach

•  
    By Staff

• Updated 9:40 PM 
    January 13, 2016

Ed Reed, one of the greatest safeties in the modern era of the NFL, will join the Buffalo Bills staff as assistant defensive backs coach, the team announced Wednesday night.

Reed reunites with Bills head coach Rex Ryan. Reed played for Ryan when he was defensive coordinator in Baltimore and briefly with the New York Jets as well.

“Ed Reed is going to be such a great asset to our team. First off, having spent time with Ed in Baltimore and then in New York – I can attest to the incredibly high level of professionalism he is going to bring with him to Buffalo. All of the things he’s done throughout his entire playing career, such as how he studies film, preparing throughout the week for game days, and things like that, he will impress upon our players,” said Ryan in a news release.

During his playing career Reed was a nine-time Pro Bowler. His 64 interceptions in his 12-year career rank sixth all-time in NFL history.

I cant lie, I think this could end up being a great hire. Ed Reed is one of my favorite football players. He's easily the best FS I've ever seen and is arguably the best ever. 

If he can translate his knowledge/experience into coaching then I think the Bills secondary just got even better based on this alone. I thought Rex hiring his brother was a bad idea, he's just not a good coach imo, but I think taking a chance on Ed would end up being an awesome move. Splashy Rex as usual. 

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/13/ed-reed-to-join-bills-staff-assistant-defensive-backs-coach/

Ed Reed to join Bills staff as assistant defensive backs coach

•  
    By Staff

• Updated 9:40 PM 
    January 13, 2016

Ed Reed, one of the greatest safeties in the modern era of the NFL, will join the Buffalo Bills staff as assistant defensive backs coach, the team announced Wednesday night.

Reed reunites with Bills head coach Rex Ryan. Reed played for Ryan when he was defensive coordinator in Baltimore and briefly with the New York Jets as well.

“Ed Reed is going to be such a great asset to our team. First off, having spent time with Ed in Baltimore and then in New York – I can attest to the incredibly high level of professionalism he is going to bring with him to Buffalo. All of the things he’s done throughout his entire playing career, such as how he studies film, preparing throughout the week for game days, and things like that, he will impress upon our players,” said Ryan in a news release.

During his playing career Reed was a nine-time Pro Bowler. His 64 interceptions in his 12-year career rank sixth all-time in NFL history.

Most Buffalo Bills Fans are excited about the hire of Reed.  I think Rob Ryan has been hired to help our defense with Rex's d  schemes.    

There is a term, too many hands in the pot. It seems like rex is walking a fine line in having too many people working on the d. Was Ed Reed a great safety?? One of the best. Does he know anything about coaching, remains to be seen.

The few games that Reed started for the jets under Rex are the very same few games that Milliner actually played well.  He actually coached Milliner up in those games. I've got a feeling that Reed will make a fine position coach.  I think it's a good hire.  The bad hire, and I mean atrociously bad, incredibly stupid and irresponsible, was the hiring of the twin.  

Most Buffalo Bills Fans are excited about the hire of Reed.  I think Rob Ryan has been hired to help our defense with Rex's d  schemes.    

Jeannie....this is great for the Bills. One example from our standpoint...the only time Dee Milliner ever looked like a top tier player is the two months he played with Ed Reed his rookie year. In fact, he was the AFC rookie of the month that December.

Go back and read all the effusively positive quotes from the Buffalo press and fans after Rex was hired.  Eerily similar confidence.  I go on record that your team will do even worse next season.  Coincidentally, Rex' last as an NFL HC.

Agreed on all counts. 

The few games that Reed started for the jets under Rex are the very same few games that Milliner actually played well.  He actually coached Milliner up in those games. I've got a feeling that Reed will make a fine position coach.  I think it's a good hire.  The bad hire, and I mean atrociously bad, incredibly stupid and irresponsible, was the hiring of the twin.  

Bringing in Ed Reed as an assistant is, to me, smart.  The guy was a VERY smart ballplayer, and he knows Rex's system.  He will have huge credibility in the locker room, he just retired a few years ago, has a ring, won DPOY, and will be in the HOF at some point.

+1 It was reported all the DB's followed him around asking questions..

If the last 6 years has shown us anything..its REX has NO ABILITY to evaluate talent, especially college talent.  He is a simple man. he sees something, likes it or doesn't.

He hired Sporano because Sporano's offense beat REX. He liked Tebow because Tebow beat REX.

He likes REED, his memory of REED is from Raven period.

Ill give REED the benefit of the doubt. I wont give it to REX.  If Reed succeeds, good for him.

Its not because REX see's something. Its because REX cant see anything except whats in front of him.

If the last 6 years has shown us anything..its REX has NO ABILITY to evaluate talent, especially college talent.  He is a simple man. he sees something, likes it or doesn't.

He hired Sporano because Sporano's offense beat REX. He liked Tebow because Tebow beat REX.

He likes REED, his memory of REED is from Raven period.

Ill give REED the benefit of the doubt. I wont give it to REX.  If Reed succeeds, good for him.

Its not because REX see's something. Its because REX cant see anything except whats in front of him.

Unfortunately we were in front of him 2 games this year..LOL 

Go back and read all the effusively positive quotes from the Buffalo press and fans after Rex was hired.  Eerily similar confidence.  I go on record that your team will do even worse next season.  Coincidentally, Rex' last as an NFL HC.

I remember last year at this time Munchmemory.  I couldn't remember the last time I was so excited about our team as I was then.  This year,  it's a wait and see.   Don't want to set up for another disappointing season (if that's what happens).

I remember last year at this time Munchmemory.  I couldn't remember the last time I was so excited about our team as I was then.  This year,  it's a wait and see.   Don't want to set up for another disappointing season (if that's what happens).

Become a Jet fan you get used to it..LOL

Yeah, definitely one of the few moves you can't give Rex any flack for.  Reed was known as one of the "coach on the field" types in the later years of his career, so it's certainly worth a shot.  Who knows how it will work out, but hardly a major gamble as an assistant.

You have to start to question Reed's intelligence though, right?  I mean, who could possibly want to work for that babbling buffoon, worst Head Coach in the league, Rex Ryan? 

Being a great player has no correlation to being a great coach. He might be good. He might suck. That's my biting insight.

Most great players make awful coaches.  They thought and operated on a higher level than most players, to the point where they were able to slow the game down and seemingly know what's coming.  Trying to teach the basics to players who lack that level of instinct will be frustrating for a guy like Reed.

Most great players make awful coaches.  They thought and operated on a higher level than most players, to the point where they were able to slow the game down and seemingly know what's coming.  Trying to teach the basics to players who lack that level of instinct will be frustrating for a guy like Reed.

Agreed, but I would still hire Peyton Manning as a head coach the second he retires. He's different from most great players, though. So much of his game was cerebral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, but I would still hire Peyton Manning as a head coach the second he retires. He's different from most great players, though. So much of his game was cerebral.

It was indeed, but unless he's coaching a QB who can come close to "getting on his level" from an intelligence perspective, that would be equally useless.  Imagine Peyton trying to explain his pre-snap read process to, say, Ryan Mallett?  Talk about a deer-in-headlights situation. 

There is a term, too many hands in the pot. It seems like rex is walking a fine line in having too many people working on the d. Was Ed Reed a great safety?? One of the best. Does he know anything about coaching, remains to be seen.

I don't think it totally remains to be seen. He has already shown his ability to coach up players and excels at breaking down film. 

Archived