Philly Job was Coughlin's if he wanted it

AFJF

Just saw on twitter that it was his for the taking.  Apparently wasn't thrilled about Giants unwilling to let his staff join him.  No idea why he'd pass up a chance to work with Mark Sanchez either.

Just saw on twitter that it was his for the taking.  Apparently wasn't thrilled about Giants unwilling to let his staff join him.  No idea why he'd pass up a chance to work with Mark Sanchez either.

Philly is a downgrade anyway, IMO. He should wait for an ideal situation somewhere.

Interested to see Eagles turn too - maybe their former DC McDermott now with Carolina

local media seems to think it's going to be Doug Pederson...Reid's  right hand man in Kansas City. 

Sorry for being thick but what was the "oh wait"?  Didn't hiring McAdoo keep Coughlin out of the division?

Yes, and that was probably a good thing for the Vagiants but the Jets let Rex and staff shuffle off to Buffalo so we will see how that works for both teams...

Edit: Not saying I wanted Marty as HC (no way), I am happy with Bowles so far,  and the Jets had the better record but the Bill blocked our playoff bid so Rex gets another chance and it looks like he is going all in, should be entertaining

Philly is a downgrade anyway, IMO. He should wait for an ideal situation somewhere.

That the wrong thought process that Shotty used to be no his HC aspirations.  Jobs, opportunities are hard to find.  There's no guarantee you find a better job or that they'll want you down ththe road. 

That the wrong thought process that Shotty used to be no his HC aspirations.  Jobs, opportunities are hard to find.  There's no guarantee you find a better job or that they'll want you down ththe road. 

I disagree. Coughlin isn't desperate for work. Why take a job that he'll regret? He doesn't want another losing situation to replace the one he had in NY. He's not stupid.

And his wife didn't want him to take the SF job. He should lay low and take the right job at the right time. Relax for a year or whatever. Tenn is still vacant I believe. 

Brian Schotty? He basically followed your thought process if anything. But how does he compare to Tom Coughlin?

He should lay low and take the right job at the right time. Relax for a year or whatever. Tenn is still vacant I believe. 

At Coughlin's age, taking a year off is not an option.  Most teams normally wouldn't hire a man his age anyway, but due to his record he's an exception to the rule.  He has to take advantage of his unique position this year.

At Coughlin's age, taking a year off is not an option.  Most teams normally wouldn't hire a man his age anyway, but due to his record he's an exception to the rule.  He has to take advantage of his unique position this year.

You're saying he won't get any offers next year? I disagree.

Age is a factor, but he won't panic and take a job if he thinks it's a sh*tty situation. He's old but not stupid.

Coughlin is smart, he knows Reese is cluleless and will put together another crappy team. Giants will go 5-11, and the Giants will be forced to clean house once again. Coughlin will then be able to hire all those guys that get fired by the Giants. The Circus is back in town, thankfully its a GIANT circus. 

You're saying he won't get any offers next year? I disagree.

Age is a factor, but he won't panic and take a job if he thinks it's a sh*tty situation. He's old but not stupid.

If he gets hired this year, he'll be 70 before the coming season starts.  Seriously, do you think he'll have many offers to coach a team in 2017 when he'll be 71 before the first game?

I disagree. Coughlin isn't desperate for work. Why take a job that he'll regret? He doesn't want another losing situation to replace the one he had in NY. He's not stupid.

And his wife didn't want him to take the SF job. He should lay low and take the right job at the right time. Relax for a year or whatever. Tenn is still vacant I believe. 

Brian Schotty? He basically followed your thought process if anything. But how does he compare to Tom Coughlin?

not saying he's desperate.  But if you want to coach there are only 32 jobs and at his age, very few teams that would hire you.  

If he gets hired this year, he'll be 70 before the coming season starts.  Seriously, do you think he'll have many offers to coach a team in 2017 when he'll be 71 before the first game?

not saying he's desperate.  But if you want to coach there are only 32 jobs and at his age, very few teams that would hire you.  

The age factor works both ways and age isn't a good enough reason to take a job he knows will make him (and his family) unhappy. Bottom line.

Maybe his best offer won't be a HC gig. He shouldn't panic and take something he doesn't want is all I'm saying. He's doing the right thing.    

The age factor works both ways and age isn't a good enough reason to take a job he knows will make him (and his family) unhappy. Bottom line.

Maybe his best offer won't be a HC gig. He shouldn't panic and take something he doesn't want is all I'm saying. He's doing the right thing.    

If he wanted to step down from coaching, I think he would have retired from the Giants instead of being let go.  Of course the decision is Coughlin's, but he is taking a risk turning down the Eagles if he wants to still coach in the NFL.  The time that Coughlin could take a nice, laid back, "Well let me sit back and wait for the right situation" is over.  At this point, he should realize he has a one year special window of opportunity to be an NFL coach that probably won't happen again.  If he dislikes the Eagles so much that he would rather not coach than be their coach, that's his decision.  As long as he realizes that he might not get another opportunity.

If he wanted to step down from coaching, I think he would have retired from the Giants instead of being let go.  Of course the decision is Coughlin's, but he is taking a risk turning down the Eagles if he wants to still coach in the NFL.  The time that Coughlin could take a nice, laid back, "Well let me sit back and wait for the right situation" is over.  At this point, he should realize he has a one year special window of opportunity to be an NFL coach that probably won't happen again.  If he dislikes the Eagles so much that he would rather not coach than be their coach, that's his decision.  As long as he realizes that he might not get another opportunity.

Disagree.  Coughlin won 2 SBs.  The Eagles were wiling to hand him the job because they saw up close what he can do.  I think teams will absolutely want Coughlin for the next couple of years.  Age is his biggest negative right now.

Yes, and at Coughlin's advanced age, (70 by the team the season starts), his two Super Bowls are the only reason he is being considered by anyone at all.  Realistically, you might have the guy for another four or five years, then he'll have to call it quits.  If he's going to get another coaching job, it absolutely has to be this year, he doesn't have another year to spare.

Archived