Decent/Funny read from Manish

AFJF

We venture inside Mike Maccagnan’s head with this disclaimer: Forgive him for the half-truths, generalities and overall nothingness that spilled out of his mouth during Thursday’s season-ending press conference.

Maccagnan is a genuinely nice guy — he probably apologizes to bugs right before dousing them with Extra-Strength Raid — but NFL general managers don’t exactly divulge their offseason plans to the public. So, we’ll sift through the company lines and reveal what he really thinks about the hot-button topics facing the Jets in the coming months.

Do you expect to re-sign impending free-agent QB Ryan Fitzpatrick?

What he said: “We’d like very much to get him back… We’ll see how this thing works out.”

What he thought: “We better or we’re kind of screwed. We need to buy more time to develop Bryce Petty and/or draft a potential franchise quarterback in the next year or two.”

What do you see for Bryce Petty and Geno Smith in the future?

What he said: “Bryce has made a lot of progress. We’re kind of excited to have another offseason with him... With Geno, he’s under contract. We like the progress he’s made.”

What he thought: “Bryce has made a lot of progress. We’re kind of excited to have another offseason with him…. Geno is toast.”

Are you targeting a quarterback in the draft?

What he said: “That’s always a big question. The draft is such an opportunity to add players at any position.”

What he thought: “Duh.”

Did the 10-win season exceed your expectations?

What he said: “Our goal was try to make ourselves a better team and ideally build a team that could consistently compete for the playoffs… We’re happy with the progress we made.”

What he thought: “Considering the trash that was left behind when I got the job... yes.”

Do you want to sign impending free-agent DL Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term deal?

What he said: “I would kind of like to defer on those questions at this point in time.”

What he thought: “Sure, if Wilkerson wants to take 65 cents on the dollar. But I really want to tag-and-trade him for a Top 10 pick in the 2016 draft. Know of any interested teams?”

Did you get a good return in the first year of your $70 million investment in Darrelle Revis?

What he said: “I’m very happy we have Darrelle back in the organization... I know it’s a very aggressive move on our part with what we did, but I’m very happy with the results.”

What he thought: “Everyone can plainly see that Revis is not the same player he once was. We badly overpaid. We get it. Thankfully, we can cut him after the 2017 season if need be. Get off my back, Mehta. You’re far from perfect. Believe me, I’ve read your stuff.”

What’s your assessment of the offensive line?

What he said: “I thought the offensive line did some good things.”

What he thought: “WANTED: Right tackle.”

Are you going to approach certain players like D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Antonio Cromartie about taking pay cuts?

What he said: “Those are kinds of questions that will work themselves out over time.”

What he thought: “Brick? Obvi. Cro? Maybe... or just cut him.”

Todd Bowles was effusive recently when discussing impending free agent nose tackle Damon Harrison. How much of a priority will it be to re-sign him?

What he said: “In a perfect world, we’d like very much to have Damon back.”

What he thought: “I have a feeling that Snacks might wind up being too pricey for us. Looking for someone to break the news to Todd. Any takers?”

How would you assess your first draft class?

What he said: “For the most part, we like the guys we drafted.”

There’s a school of thought that there’s no way you can financially keep that defensive line (Wilkerson, Richardson, Harrison and Williams) together.What he thought: “It was a hell of a lot better than the Idzik 12.”

What he said: “It’s not impossible.”

What he thought: “It’s impossible.”

If you don’t re-sign Fitzpatrick, would you be comfortable with Geno?

What he said: “I think Geno, again, played well in the limited amount of time he was in there during the regular season.”

What he thought: “Hell no.”

How do you think you did in your first year as GM?

What he said: “Honestly, I’ve been so busy. I haven’t even had a chance to think about it.”

What he thought: “A-plus if we’re grading on a curve. Did you see what the last guy did?”

As if simply reporting Mac's words was not enough. What an a$$hole. 

In fairness, everyone who covers the team reported his words.  I thought it was a decent way of adding something to it and liked that he poked fun at himself.  JMO of course.

Who is?  Against some of the average DE's we played - Breno looked like a child.

I meant that the press chatter has not mentioned cutting him.  He is due about $5M and we would save almost $4M by cutting him.  Probably a decent place to look to upgrade and structure a contract that will not cost much for 2016.  Seems as likely a way to save as cutting D'Brick.

In fairness, everyone who covers the team reported his words.  I thought it was a decent way of adding something to it and liked that he poked fun at himself.  JMO of course.

I agree Glenn. It was light hearted and turned his nothing responses into something humorous to read.

Who is?  Against some of the average DE's we played - Breno looked like a child.

JJ Watt exposed the Jets weaknesses up front and they have got to get better on the o-line. FA or draft, I don't care, but the Jets need to get better and stronger on the offensive line.

What he thought: “Everyone can plainly see that Revis is not the same player he once was. We badly overpaid. We get it. Thankfully, we can cut him after the 2017 season if need be. Get off my back, Mehta. You’re far from perfect. Believe me, I’ve read your stuff.”

This might have been the best thing he ever wrote.  

You know what would be funnier?  Manish driving his car off the Driscoll Bridge.  I don't forgive him for all the complete trash he has published for the last 6+ years.  He fabricated.  He lied.  He distorted. He exaggerated.  All to make his menstruation rag of a newspaper happy.  And we all know this to be the case, because when he did honest and professional reporting for the Newark Star-Ledger before his horrific gig at the NY Daily Snot Rag, he was absolutely different.  But never mind the fan base he was supposed to be reporting to.  We didn't deserve honest reporting did we? Manish?  You unprofessional little twerp.  GFY.   

You know what would be funnier?  Manish driving his car off the Driscoll Bridge.  I don't forgive him for all the complete trash he has published for the last 6+ years.  He fabricated.  He lied.  He distorted. He exaggerated.  All to make his menstruation rag of a newspaper happy.  And we all know this to be the case, because when he did honest and professional reporting for the Newark Star-Ledger before his horrific gig at the NY Daily Snot Rag, he was absolutely different.  But never mind the fan base he was supposed to be reporting to.  We didn't deserve honest reporting did we? Manish?  You unprofessional little twerp.  GFY.   

No wonder the Daily News, now about as thick as a napkin most days with almost no content except for gibberish like this, is going out of business.  

In fairness, driving off the Driscoll Bridge would create huge traffic jams.Pretty soon, Manish will be living in a fridge box under it anyway Otherwise agree. 

tell us how you really feel. 

JJ Watt exposed the Jets weaknesses up front and they have got to get better on the o-line. FA or draft, I don't care, but the Jets need to get better and stronger on the offensive line.

to be fair, JJ Watt does that to more than 80% of the opponents he faces. That isn't to say we can upgrade though.  

Yeah because no one else reported Mac's words, word by word. 

He could, if he knew or understood NFL football, use this as a jumping off point to discuss the Jets' personnel options for 2016-free agency, the cap, the draft, coaching changes, schemes, any number of substantive things. There are reporters who, when assigned to write about the NFL or college football,  make a point of learning as much as they can about football, like Mark Bowden and Nick Davidoff, to name 2. Alas, Manish has never been about anything more than gossip and nonsense, so he resorts to this. He's not funny, And he doesn't know d i c k about football. It's much easier to report about personalities. like his beloved Rex Ryan. . 

He could, if he knew or understood NFL football, use this as a jumping off point to discuss the Jets' personnel options for 2016-free agency, the cap, the draft, coaching changes, schemes, any number of substantive things. There are reporters who, when assigned to write about the NFL or college football,  make a point of learning as much as they can about football, like Mark Bowden and Nick Davidoff, to name 2. Alas, Manish has never been about anything more than gossip and nonsense, so he resorts to this. He's not funny, And he doesn't know d i c k about football. It's much easier to report about personalities. like his beloved Rex Ryan. . 

Not what you complained about...and I'm pretty sure Manish does that other reporting you mentioned, along with the dozens of other reporters. Or would you rather see him post articles with 'anonymous source'?

Archived