ESPN's Chris Mortensen Diagnosed w/ Stage IV Throat Cancer

AFJF

Terrible...all the best to Mort.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14577195/espn-senior-nfl-analyst-chris-mortensen-throat-cancer-taking-sabbatical-treatment

ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen will be off the air as he begins treatments for throat cancer.

"More than a week ago, I was diagnosed with a Stage IV throat cancer," Mortensen said in a statement Friday. "My focus shifted significantly to gathering information about the specifics of this cancer. The initial diagnosis was confirmed Friday and there is another test remaining that will determine the best possible treatment plan that will commence in the very immediate future.

"Consequently, with the support and encouragement from ESPN president John Skipper and many others at ESPN, I am temporarily stepping away from my normal NFL coverage duties to better engage this opportunity to fight the good fight that is projected to affect almost 1.7 million Americans with new cases in 2016.

"I have many inspirational examples of men, women and children who have faced this very fight. We all know somebody, right? I also have the love and prayers of my wife Micki, my family, my friends, colleagues and, most of all, my faith that serve as sources of tremendous strength. I have a peace about this and look forward to the battle."

Mortensen joined ESPN in 1991 after a career at several newspapers, including the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, where he was an investigative reporter and covered the Braves and Falcons and the NFL. He won the George Polk Award for reporting in 1987.

"Our thoughts are with Chris and his family as he faces this challenge," Skipper said. "He is an extremely respected colleague, who has the complete support of his entire ESPN family. We wish him strength and hope in the battle ahead and look forward to his return whenever he chooses."

He did not look right last week on tv.  I thought he might have had a stroke or something recently.  Does not sound good for him.

Did he just start looking poorly in the last week? It is amazing that someone could get to Stage IV before noticing a problem or going to a doctor. 

Did he just start looking poorly in the last week? It is amazing that someone could get to Stage IV before noticing a problem or going to a doctor. 

Cancer doesn't hurt. A close friend of mine just was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer. She had mammograms done once a year, but she has "dense breast tissue" so it was not discovered for five years. Women with dense breast tissue need to have an MRI.

wow stage 4, this really sucks ,  a great guy too. This is why you try and retire early, you never know what life will bring you. Im sure Pats fans are jumping for joy over this and Mort reported the deflated footballs. The vitriol directed at him by pats fans is embarrassing and shameful.

Cancer doesn't hurt. A close friend of mine just was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer. She had mammograms done once a year, but she has "dense breast tissue" so it was not discovered for five years. Women with dense breast tissue need to have an MRI.

It happens, I had stage 3 hodgkins lymphoma, over 30 masses, Walked into the doctor on Monday when I noticed the large lump under my armpit, by that Friday I was in a wheelchair and admitted inpatient for my first chemo treatment. Easily had it for over a year, but you explain away the symptoms as something else. Stage 4 isn't neccesarily worse than 3, at least for Hodgkins, it is just the added presence in the bones. My stage 3 was probably worse than a lot of people with stage 4.

Good luck to Mort!

wow stage 4, this really sucks ,  a great guy too. This is why you try and retire early, you never know what life will bring you. Im sure Pats fans are jumping for joy over this and Mort reported the deflated footballs. The vitriol directed at him by pats fans is embarrassing and shameful.

personal attacks are not allowed here, but I'm sure with a asinine post like that the mods know U have it coming. 

Jumping for joy? Really? If that's supposed to be funny u failed miserably. What a moronic thing to say! You sir are a world class a$$hole!!!

This is like when we lost Tim Russert, the great Sunday morning political host.  Corny but I felt like I lost a small part of my life when he passed.  

I am sucker for the avuncular guys- wish him the best.

Didn't realize that's what he died of.  I dislike pretty much everyone in the mainstream news media but I did like Tim Russert.

personal attacks are not allowed here, but I'm sure with a asinine post like that the mods know U have it coming. 

Jumping for joy? Really? If that's supposed to be funny u failed miserably. What a moronic thing to say! You sir are a world class a$$hole!!!

Ummmmm I am Mort fan bub, i saw Patriots fans venom on this guy, get a phucking clue mon. I said my prayers for Mort,

This is like when we lost Tim Russert, the great Sunday morning political host.  Corny but I felt like I lost a small part of my life when he passed.  

I am sucker for the avuncular guys- wish him the best.

Straight, fair, classy journalism and discourse died with Russert.

Archived