Bryce Petty ~ ~ ~

kelly

@RichCimini What is your read on Bryce Petty? Is he surpassing expectations? #jetsmail

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a "win-now" team and before Petty is handed anything he has to prove he is ready.  It is to his advantage not to be rushed.  Fitz hopefully will be signed and brought back as the starter.  Fitz is also very good at working with young QBs and will help Petty develop.

I really love Macc's approach. Its not just important to find that #1 QB. The QB behind him is just as important in this league. To turn a 4th rounder into a quality starter would be phenomenal, but damn near impossible. However, to turn that 4th rounder into a quality back up could literally save your season. 

I really hope we draft Carson Wentz or trade for Glennon. 

"Quality #2"!!??  WTF.  If that's the case, release the bum now.  It seems that all we've had for decades are #2-#3 QBs in the stable.  

Yes, because nobody needs a cheap, quality backup QB.    He's a 4th round project type QB.  If he's working, and improving, you keep him around.

I really love Macc's approach. Its not just important to find that #1 QB. The QB behind him is just as important in this league. To turn a 4th rounder into a quality starter would be phenomenal, but damn near impossible. However, to turn that 4th rounder into a quality back up could literally save your season. 

Glennon,Glennon he's our guy if we don't sign him Foe will die..:) Let's get someone that's thrilling for the Villain..

You beat me to the punch. Was just starting to type the same thing when your post popped up.Let me add....if Macc thought Petty was 'the guy," he wouldn't have waited until the 4th to take him. You really think this Wentz kid the real deal? Thought Connor Cook might be interesting, but hearing some not so good things about him.

You beat me to the punch. Was just starting to type the same thing when your post popped up.Let me add....if Macc thought Petty was 'the guy," he wouldn't have waited until the 4th to take him. You really think this Wentz kid the real deal? Thought Connor Cook might be interesting, but hearing some not so good things about him.

I cant say that I've looked at every QB, but when I came across Wentz he looks like a legit QB, not just some dude with a big arm. He's accurate and seems to make the right decisions with the football. He can play both the shotgun and under center and he can play the intermediate game with the best of them which is right up Chan Gailey's alley. 

Thats what I like about his game. He looks like he would work well in this system but he also has the strength and accuracy to include guys like Devin Smith in the fold and he's a mobile QB. His pocket presence isnt as good as Glennon's but I think its because Glennon isnt really a mobile QB so Glennon uses his feel for the pocket along with this ability to never stop looking down the field to his particular advantage. 

Wentz in this system could work very well imo, and from what I saw from the usual names at QB, he's the one that actually impressed me. Many bring up his level of competition, which does play a part, but I see a QB that can play in this league every Sunday with like a year to develop. 

I seriously doubt Glennon is even on Macc's radar, and if not then I would pull the trigger at #20 if Wentz is still on the board...with no hesitation. 

I cant say that I've looked at every QB, but when I came across Wentz he looks like a legit QB, not just some dude with a big arm. He's accurate and seems to make the right decisions with the football. He can play both the shotgun and under center and he can play the intermediate game with the best of him which is right up Chan Gailey's alley. 

Thats what I like about his game. He looks like he would work well in this system but he also has the strength and accuracy to include guys like Devin Smith in the fold and he's a mobile QB. He's pocket presence isnt as good as Glennon's but I think its because Glennon isnt really a mobile QB so Glennon uses his feel for the pocket along with this ability to never stop looking down the field as his particular advantage. 

Wentz in this system could work very well imo, and from what I saw from the usual names at QB, he's the one that actually impressed me. Many bring up his level of competition, which does play a part, but I see a QB that can play in this league every Sunday with like a year to develop. 

I seriously doubt Glennon is even on Macc's radar, and if not then I would pull the trigger at #20 if Wentz is still on the board...with no hesitation. 

Nice synopsis. Tnx. Will be interesting to see how Wentz and all the other QB's  fare in the next 2-3 mos as the pre-draft process plays out. I agree with you....if there is a Qb sitting there at #20 that Macc likes, take him. We all know we need Ol, Rb, OLb help too, but until we find the "guy" at QB, does it really matter?  As far as Glennon goes, thought there might be a chance with new coach, but since it's the former OC who got job, maybe all bets off?

Yes, because nobody needs a cheap, quality backup QB.    He's a 4th round project type QB.  If he's working, and improving, you keep him around.

We already have a "quality backup".  Fitz.

And I don't know about anyone else.  But I'm tired of "projects" at the QB position.  You remember Simms, Clemens, Bollinger, and the hundred other scrubs we had to endure/watch flame out who were projects?  I do.  

I cant say that I've looked at every QB, but when I came across Wentz he looks like a legit QB, not just some dude with a big arm. He's accurate and seems to make the right decisions with the football. He can play both the shotgun and under center and he can play the intermediate game with the best of them which is right up Chan Gailey's alley. 

Thats what I like about his game. He looks like he would work well in this system but he also has the strength and accuracy to include guys like Devin Smith in the fold and he's a mobile QB. He's pocket presence isnt as good as Glennon's but I think its because Glennon isnt really a mobile QB so Glennon uses his feel for the pocket along with this ability to never stop looking down the field to his particular advantage. 

this is not the yr to take a QB in 1st rd, Wentz is a 3rd rd talent at best, Dive for Deshaun and get a stud next yr

Here's 

"Quality #2"!!??  WTF.  If that's the case, release the bum now.  It seems that all we've had for decades are #2-#3 QBs in the stable.  

No offense but this comment right here is what I hate most about football.  In EVERY other sport, kids have a developmental league they can learn their craft in before playing with the big boys.  Hell, in hockey and baseball a kid can be a top 10 pick and not be seen for 3 years.  More often than not that development is incredibly important and leads to a successful player.

While I can understand that in a number of positions players can jump right from college to the pro's (like RB, OG..etc) in other positions kids, and that is who we are talking about..kids, need some time.  The Broncos have had Osweiler sitting behind Peyton and while he has some bright spots he needs probably one more offseason.  Look at Cousins, sitting behind RG3, it helped him.  Or McCarron. Or Rodgers (the poster child).

So maybe being good enough to be the #2 in 2016 is a big enough step and then 2017-2018 we are finally staring at franchise QB.  At the point if Maccagnan has done his job there will be a young talented roster built around the QB position giving him the best chance to be successful.

Now that's the glass half full POV but if that's this FO's vision then it's a vision I can get behind especially if we can get Fitz back and make a playoff run or 2.

Nice synopsis. Tnx. Will be interesting to see how Wentz and all the other QB's  fare in the next 2-3 mos as the pre-draft process plays out. I agree with you....if there is a Qb sitting there at #20 that Macc likes, take him. We all know we need Ol, Rb, OLb help too, but until we find the "guy" at QB, does it really matter?  As far as Glennon goes, thought there might be a chance with new coach, but since it's the former OC who got job, maybe all bets off?

Thanks. 

Some feel like Wentz at #20 is too risky but I highly doubt that he'll be there when we pick in the 2nd round. Also, from now to the draft this kid will have every opportunity to convince the naysayers or make them feel like they were correct on their initial assessment. Its the same with my perspective. I go through this every year. I start off loving a guy then find other talent and my mock in January never looks like what I have in my last mock in April-May. I will say this though, Wentz looks like he will be on my mock throughout the offseason, and if he impresses he may be off my mock because he may rocket up boards to the point where I feel he may not even be available. 

I think for the people willing to look past and ignore his "competition" they'll see a special type of talent in Wentz. I am concerned though. Im no special scout person. Im just a guy who likes to watch player tape on the internet. These GM's and coaches for teams like the 49er's, Dallas, Chicago, Rams, Lions  etc. will all see Wentz and someone is going to see the difference between this guy and the "Top tier" QB's in the upcoming draft and may take a chance on drafting him and sitting him behind their current starter. Wentz doesnt look like the QB you throw to the fire day one given the jump in talent, but based on his skillset if you're in a position to have him sit behind a starter like a Jay Cutler, Kaep, Stafford and you're willing to take the "now unpopular road" of developing your 1st round talent then Wentz could really turn into something. 

If we're going to stick with Fitzpatrick then I would prefer this, if we're going to move on from Fitz then it better be because Geno has really shown something or because we traded for Glennon. Other than that I'd take this guy at #20 if available. But yea, I hope the Bucs seen enough in Winston to move forward from Glennon. He's very valuable to him given that we just spoke about the #2 position, the problem is, because he was once a starter and other teams have seen/inquired about him he's going to walk next season and the Bucs would have gotten nothing. Might as well get something for him. He's not like a Ryan Nassib who only plays in the preseason (though impressive). He's not on anyone's radar because he's a mystery. The only team who knows what Nassib is IS the Giants. 

As for the other positions, we have some nice RB's coming out this year that could be had in the 2nd/3rd rounds. I havent really looked deeply into the OL situation outside of Stanley (who I wanted us to draft last season if he left school) and the LT from Ole'Miss. Now that guy has some light feet for a LT. He's quick and I can see why he's projected to be the #1 pick in the draft. 

Sorry for the long rant, its the offseason and im already excited for free agency, trades and the draft! :-) 

End of the day, they've already said they're going to draft a quarterback every year. That's it. That's all that matters. That means that as fans all of these guys ain't nothing but laundry, and we can just keep rotating them until one shows something. No need to get emotionally attached. No need for the "well I just THINK he can be good" bullsh*t. Who cares? Next man up until one nuts the **** up. Whether that's Bryce Petty or not who gives a sh*t. The only only only ONLY thing that should matter to this organization is finding period a quarterback period of the future full stop exclamation point. 

Until that happens. Until THAT happens, every single season is going to be like the last 7. A team perpetually stuck in limbo, MAYBE competing for a playoff spot with a journeyman or a rookie we're evaluating or whatever. And enough of that bullsh*t. If Petty can't show he's capable of being a starter in the near future, cut him, cut Geno, and draft draft draft draft. This organization does not need a backup quarterback, it needs a starting one for the long term, and we don't have the luxury of wasting roster spots on guys who only have a ceiling of being the former. 

End of the day, they've already said they're going to draft a quarterback every year. That's it. That's all that matters. That means that as fans all of these guys ain't nothing but laundry, and we can just keep rotating them until one shows something. No need to get emotionally attached. No need for the "well I just THINK he can be good" bullsh*t. Who cares? Next man up until one nuts the **** up. Whether that's Bryce Petty or not who gives a sh*t. The only only only ONLY thing that should matter to this organization is finding period a quarterback period of the future full stop exclamation point. 

Until that happens. Until THAT happens, every single season is going to be like the last 7. A team perpetually stuck in limbo, MAYBE competing for a playoff spot with a journeyman or a rookie we're evaluating or whatever. And enough of that bullsh*t. If Petty can't show he's capable of being a starter in the near future, cut him, cut Geno, and draft draft draft draft. This organization does not need a backup quarterback, it needs a starting one for the long term, and we don't have the luxury of wasting roster spots on guys who only have a ceiling of being the former. 

The next stud college QB is Deshaun Watson, the 69ers are poised to pounce on him next yr. Much better than Cam at this stage. Bama's Defense has 9-10 draftable players and he still had a great game. Has the arm, smarts and runs a 4.4 forty.  He is not a RGme redux. This kid makes all the throws.  Not since Luck have i have seen such a franchise prospect.

you took this the wrong way.  He ment he is a quality #2 today.    It's up to him if he becomes a starter with hard work and proving it on the field.    

I I love this approach.    

We feel, ability-wise, he can definitely be a quality No. 2 (quarterback).. 

If he was #2 ready, he would have said Petty is a quality #2 not can be.

Look it's possible I am reading it wrong but he also said. 

"The rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to do it on the field and in the preseason, so we can kind of see where he's at. We're excited to work with him."

i don't think Petty should be written off as a future starting QB because of one interview with Mac. 

I read that the way you did. 

Sounds to me that he was saying Petty's natural skill set is a number 2 - with some hard work he'll have a chance to be a quality back up. And fans shouldn't expect much more than that.  

Cetainly disappointing to hear that - I realize it was a pipe dream - but was holding out hope. 

Bottom line - gotta keep drafting QB's until you find one.  

This is a "win-now" team and before Petty is handed anything he has to prove he is ready.  It is to his advantage not to be rushed.  Fitz hopefully will be signed and brought back as the starter.  Fitz is also very good at working with young QBs and will help Petty develop.

Every team is a "win-now" team, if they end up having things break right and winning. Otherwise, they by default become "rebuilding" teams. 

Both terms are clichés and were spoonfed to fans by marketing teams for the respective teams they root for.

Fitz coming back is an ideal scenario. Also, drafting another QB, because why not... 

I really hope he stays and uses all of his eligibility in collegt, but he would also need to make use of that time, not just dive out of the pocket but actually develope in it.

ummm go review tape, he threw many dimes, had one TD pass taken away from a great strip by Harrison.  

He didn't say that's all he can do.  he can definitely be a quality No. 2 (quarterback)," he said. "The rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to do it on the field .

He's saying he can DEFINITELY be a #2.  The rest is up to him.   The starting job won't just be handed to him because this regime drafted him.

Actually I think it's a pretty positive statement for Petty, in a very politically correct business.  I really don't think smith wants to compete with him for #2 in camp next season.  

He didn't say that's all he can do.  he can definitely be a quality No. 2 (quarterback)," he said. "The rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to do it on the field .

He's saying he can DEFINITELY be a #2.  The rest is up to him.   The starting job won't just be handed to him because this regime drafted him.

Actually I think it's a pretty positive statement for Petty, in a very politically correct business.  I really don't think smith wants to compete with him for #2 in camp next season.  

geno wont be around to compete, possible traded to dallas

geno wont be around to compete, possible traded to dallas

Dallas would be nice.   I agree that he more then likely won't be here to compete.  I suspect that once Macc explains to smith's agent that Bowles  was serious about Fitz being the starter next season, and if he is on the team, smith's role in camp will be to compete for #2 only, smith will be howling to be traded.

Think the Jets will oblige him if they can find some one to cough up anything.   More then likely some one will offer something

What do you think about possibly trading the farm to draft Goff?  I think if we're going to pick our next QB, we try to shoot the moon.  I'm fine w/ trading a lot to get the guy if Maccags thinks he's the right guy.  The Giants certainly don't regret trading up for Eli.

I do like what little I've seen of Wentz though.  Just saying that I think it would still be worth it to trade a lot to get the better QB (assuming Maccags thinks Goff is better than Wentz).  It's the foundation piece of your team so I hope we don't "settle".

What do you think about possibly trading the farm to draft Goff?  I think if we're going to pick our next QB, we try to shoot the moon.  I'm fine w/ trading a lot to get the guy if Maccags thinks he's the right guy.  The Giants certainly don't regret trading up for Eli.

I do like what little I've seen of Wentz though.  Just saying that I think it would still be worth it to trade a lot to get the better QB (assuming Maccags thinks Goff is better than Wentz).  It's the foundation piece of your team so I hope we don't "settle".

You cant be serious Goff is a 3rd rd draft pick in a normal QB draft yr

You cant be serious Goff is a 3rd rd draft pick in a normal QB draft yr

I see him listed as going #2 overall to Cleveland.  I don't think teams would "reach" for a QB at #2 overall if he weren't a really good prospect.  Of course, Cleveland hasn't taken him (at least yet) so I guess the jury is still out.

Archived