No more talk of 2 AFC Championship games

southparkcpa

MODS - I propose we BAN any poster who talks about our 2 AFC runs again.:D

If time has shown anything, its that good teams don't care about championship conference games.

Look at the teams that have been there more than 2 times in the past 10-12 years or so.

Steelers, Pats, GB, Denver, Giants  All SB winners.

You think those teams brag about conference championship wins?

Look at the Panthers, a "virgin" franchise in 1995 and they have had more success than the JETS. 

Why?  management. Team is owned by a real football man.  About 5 years ago, he dismissed his 2 sons from the team.

I know..we will hear the "you need a QB cry" but over 25 years, we haven't had one.  That's on management too.

QB is most important we all agree.

Drafting and player development is 2. We have been below average here.

Lets pray Mac and Bowles are the real deal or we will be in this situation for the next 5 years.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all seems so far away.

The coach who was in charge of those playoff runs has now set back two different franchises 5 years, while the team that declined to make him their HC won a Super Bowl in the middle of it all, with Joe Flacco as their QB no less. 

People can still talk about those playoff victories if they want to, but at this point it's like old men talking about their state titles from decades ago.  Except those guys got rings out of the deal, whereas we got nothing. 

Just because our franchise sucks historically doesn't mean we have to hold it in high regard that we won some playoff games 5 years ago.  It's a completely new regime running the show now and mostly everyone has moved on and is looking for this franchise to take the next step towards winning division titles and AFC championships. 

The coach who was in charge of those playoff runs has now set back two different franchises 5 years, while the team that declined to make him their HC won a Super Bowl in the middle of it all, with Joe Flacco as their QB no less. 

People can still talk about those playoff victories if they want to, but at this point it's like old men talking about their state titles from decades ago.  Except those guys got rings out of the deal, whereas we got nothing.

You're a Jets fan.  You'll be lucky to see your team play in another AFCC game, let alone go to back to back. 

The coach who was in charge of those playoff runs has now set back his 2nd franchise 5 years, while the team that declined to make him their HC won a Super Bowl. 

The GM set us back.

You're right.  We should just set our goal at making the playoffs and be OK with that.  Because that's what everyone's goal is.  To not win titles.

Making the playoffs would be cool.  I think we'll see the Jets make the playoffs again in our lifetime.  Actually winning a game?  I expect to never see that again. 

With the full blessing of the HC, who coerced his GM into making a lot of those moves (Santonio Holmes?  Plaxico?  Derrick Mason?).  Tannenbaum wanted to be the cool kid so bad, he let him take guys like John Conner in the draft.

coerced*

Making the playoffs would be cool.  I think we'll see the Jets make the playoffs again in our lifetime.  Actually winning a game?  I expect to never see that again. 

You're totally right.  We'll never win a playoff game in our lifetimes, so we should still treat the 2009-10 regime as gods in these parts. 

Ludicrous argument.

You're totally right.  We'll never win a playoff game in our lifetimes, so we should still treat the 2009-10 regime as gods in these parts. 

Ludicrous argument.

Gods?  I dont know about that.  They didnt win anything.  

Maybe we should just respect the good old days. 

Gods?  I dont know about that.  They didnt win anything.  

Maybe we should just respect the good old days. 

Sure, look back on those days fondly, who am I to stop you?  But there's just no point in my mind.  Those years didn't result in trophies of any kind, and a lot of terrible, sh*t play happened between Week 14 of 2011 and the end of the 2014 campaign to get all those people fired.  So any time someone wants to point out those accomplishments, someone else will respond with that in kind.  And in the end, it was still embarrassing to be a Jet fan.  Nothing changed because of those playoff runs, and we started all over in 2015. 

Yes, lets ban and point and laugh at Jets fan who enjoyed going to back to back AFC Championship games.

We're so accustomed to it as a fan base we shouldnt be settling for anything but Super Bowls victories, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why talk about the deep playoff runs when there are so many other glorious moments to discuss at length?  Where should we start?  Vinny's torn achilles?  Al Toon's career ending concussions?  Rich Kotite?  Did you know Browning Nagle threw fro 366 yards in his first NFL start?  Mangini's blowout playoff loss in New England?  Herm Edwards' "you play to win the game" speech?

The possibilities are endless.

If time has shown anything, its that good teams don't care about championship conference games.

Look at the teams that have been there more than 2 times in the past 10-12 years or so.

Look at the Panthers, a "virgin" franchise in 1995 and they have had more success than the JETS. 

Why?  management. Team is owned by a real football man.  About 5 years ago, he dismissed his 2 sons from the team.

I know..we will hear the "you need a QB cry" but over 25 years, we haven't had one.  That's on management too.

Lets pray Mac and Bowles are the real deal or we will be in this situation for the next 5 years.

Valid points and I agree except for your line about the Panthers having more success than the Jets. When they win a SB, then yes. Until then, no.

Sure, look back on those days fondly, who am I to stop you?  But there's just no point in my mind.  Those years didn't result in trophies of any kind, and a lot of terrible, sh*t play happened between Week 14 of 2011 and the end of the 2014 campaign to get all those people fired.  So any time someone wants to point out those accomplishments, someone else will respond with that in kind.  And in the end, it was still embarrassing to be a Jet fan.  Nothing changed because of those playoff runs, and we started all over in 2015. 

I hope we win another playoff game in my lifetime. 

Why talk about the deep playoff runs when there are so many other glorious moments to discuss at length?  Where should we start?  Vinny's torn achilles?  Al Toon's career ending concussions?  Rich Kotite?  Did you know Browning Nagle threw fro 366 yards in his first NFL start?  Mangini's blowout playoff loss in New England?  Herm Edwards' "you play to win the game" speech?

The possibilities are endless.

Choking to Rex Ryan on the last game of the season - a win and in game?

That one is juicy. 

Choking to Rex Ryan on the last game of the season - a win and in game?

That one is juicy. 

Rex will ride that Super Bowl victory for the next 2-3 years in Buffalo.  Meanwhile I have little doubt in my mind we'll be the ones on the winning end of that sweep next season.   We swept Miami, beat the Giants for the first time in 1993, and split with the Pats (nearly winning in New England) this season, so I have confidence Bowles will add that to his resume.    

You're a Jets fan.  You'll be lucky to see your team play in another AFCC game, let alone go to back to back. 

this is my best memory as a Jets fan and I resent that I'm not allowed to remember it fondly 

Rex will ride that Super Bowl victory for the next 2-3 years in Buffalo.  Meanwhile I have little doubt in my mind we'll be the ones on the winning end of that sweep next season.   We swept Miami, beat the Giants for the first time in 1993, and split with the Pats (nearly winning in New England) this season, so I have confidence Bowles will add that to his resume.    

Yeah but no trophies. blah blah blah

this is my best memory as a Jets fan and I resent that I'm not allowed to remember it fondly 

Remember how you want, dont let these delusional dweebs piss on your memories.  2010 was hands down the best season ever for me as  Jets fan.  No close 2nd. 

Valid points and I agree except for your line about the Panthers having more success than the Jets. When they win a SB, then yes. Until then, no.

Really...3 division titles in a row.   4 conference championship appearances, 1 SB appearance.  

Id say they have had more success.

brilliant, instead we will talk about meaningless team records and missing the playoffs w/ a creampuff sched and everything breaking perfect for us this year!

Archived