Glenn Frey - RIP

NJ

Way to young to go.

Like the Eagles or not, this guy was a major talent.

RIP 

It Is With The Heaviest of Hearts That We Announce…

Jan 18, 2016 by User 0 Comments

...the passing of our comrade, Eagles founder, Glenn Frey, in New York City on Monday, January 18th, 2016.

Glenn fought a courageous battle for the past several weeks but, sadly, succumbed to complications from Rheumatoid Arthritis, Acute Ulcerative Colitis and Pneumonia.

The Frey family would like to thank everyone who joined Glenn to fight this fight and hoped and prayed for his recovery.

Words can neither describe our sorrow, nor our love and respect for all that he has given to us, his family, the music community & millions of fans worldwide.

Cindy Frey | Taylor Frey | Deacon Frey | Otis Frey|
Don Henley | Joe Walsh | Timothy B. Schmit | Bernie Leadon | Irving Azoff

“It's Your World Now”
Written by Glenn Frey and Jack Tempchin
From the Eagles’ Long Road Out of Eden album

A perfect day, the sun is sinkin' low
As evening falls, the gentle breezes blow
The time we shared went by so fast
Just like a dream, we knew it couldn't last
But I'd do it all again
If I could, somehow
But I must be leavin' soon
It's your world now

It's your world now
My race is run
I'm moving on
Like the setting sun
No sad goodbyes
No tears allowed
You'll be alright
It's your world now

Even when we are apart
You'll always be in my heart
When dark clouds appear in the sky
Remember true love never dies

But first a kiss, one glass of wine
Just one more dance while there's still time
My one last wish: someday, you'll see
How hard I tried and how much you meant to me

It's your world now
Use well your time
Be part of something good
Leave something good behind
The curtain falls
I take my bow
That's how it's meant to be
It's your world now
It's your world now
It's your world now

Wow.... Tragic. Too young,

if if you haven't seen the Eagles documentary...it's on Netflix. 

Freys comments about renting a room from Jackson Brown helped him learn to be a better song writer.

what a generation of musicians.  Henley, Frey, Jackson Brown, Rondstad, Fogelberg...  All hung out together. 

Wow.... Tragic. Too young,

if if you haven't seen the Eagles documentary...it's on Netflix. 

Freys comments about renting a room from Jackson Brown helped him learn to be a better song writer.

what a generation of musicians.  Henley, Frey, Jackson Brown, Rondstad, Fogelberg...  All hung out together. 

I've seen it SP, and for those that haven't  - highly recommended .. very cool how that they were able to incorporate all that footage from back in the day

Look, the Eagles made some great music and Glenn Frey is a bona fide rock legend and will be missed from that perspective but I gotta say, I came away from the Eagles documentary thinking Glenn Frey is a humongous dick. Every story he tells in the doc is designed to show you how cool or awesome Glenn Frey is. 

Look, the Eagles made some great music and Glenn Frey is a bona fide rock legend and will be missed from that perspective but I gotta say, I came away from the Eagles documentary thinking Glenn Frey is a humongous dick. Every story he tells in the doc is designed to show you how cool or awesome Glenn Frey is. 

I won't argue that point at all Klecko - methinks he was a dick and probably behind some fair part of the disharmony in the band.

I'm just acknowledging his contributions to some good music that me and many others really liked and therefore contributed to some good memories in my lifetime.

I actually paid $10 to watch this concert in the movie theater, when they released it for one day a few years back.  Soooooo awesome.  Best band of all time.

What did they have like 20 million ticket requests for the O2?   A dying wish for me would be to watch Page rehearse. 

JF, you ever see this video of Coverdale/Page in rehearsal for "In My Time of Dying"?   Page is on fire.  Make sure you watch him launch into a blistering solo towards the end.

It would make sense as he could certainly play slide and this article says it does:

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~markowit/interviews/gf/musician/musician.html

"Then there's "Smuggler's Blues," a bonechilling docudrama of drug-related murder and the politics of contraband, set to the razor edge of Frey's savage slide guitar."

Thanks, NJ.   Great article.

What did they have like 20 million ticket requests for the O2?   A dying wish for me would be to watch Page rehearse. 

JF, you ever see this video of Coverdale/Page in rehearsal for "In My Time of Dying"?   Page is on fire.  Make sure you watch him launch into a blistering solo towards the end.

Unreal.

Just makes me kinda pissed that Plant is the only holdout.  I get that he doesn't want to be the "washed up rocker".  But this isn't about him.  This is about the fans that made them legends, and the younger fans who never got to see them.  Artists who always make it about them annoy me.  Once you put pieces of art out there, they're no longer really yours.  They belong to the people. 

Unreal.

Just makes me kinda pissed that Plant is the only holdout.  I get that he doesn't want to be the "washed up rocker".  But this isn't about him.  This is about the fans that made them legends, and the younger fans who never got to see them.  Artists who always make it about them annoy me.  Once you put pieces of art out there, they're no longer really yours.  They belong to the people. 

Never say never.  But I don't see Plant changing his mind.  At least we have the anticipated Jimmy Page tour in 2016.

Listen, when you have to stand up in front of people with an instrument in your hand AND you wanna sound good, you need an attitude.  You need to feel badass about yourself, and you really need to be a type A personality.  There are very few icons in R&R that aren't/weren't dicks to some degree.  Do you realize how hard it is to be in a band?  Do you realize how much in-fighting goes on?  You may know of the story of Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger.  In a nutshell Mick was really really drunk one night in a hotel.  He kept calling Charlie's room demanding that HIS drummer get his ass down to the lobby immediately.  Charlie Watts finally got up, showered, shaved, polished his shoes, put on his perfectly pressed suit to the 9's and took the elevator downstairs.  He walked right up to Mick Jagger, punched him square in the face and said "don't you ever ****ing call me YOUR ****ing drummer again!!  You're MY ****ing singer!"  Then he turned around, took the elevator upstairs, undressed out of his perfectly pressed suit, and went to bed.  That's Rock & Roll.  That's the kind of attitude that 90% of legendary rock and roll icons have.  The other 10% are dead from overdoses or suicide because they couldn't handle it. 

Listen, when you have to stand up in front of people with an instrument in your hand AND you wanna sound good, you need an attitude.  You need to feel badass about yourself, and you really need to be a type A personality.  There are very few icons in R&R that aren't/weren't dicks to some degree.  Do you realize how hard it is to be in a band?  Do you realize how much in-fighting goes on?  You may know of the story of Charlie Watts and Mick Jagger.  In a nutshell Mick was really really drunk one night in a hotel.  He kept calling Charlie's room demanding that HIS drummer get his ass down to the lobby immediately.  Charlie Watts finally got up, showered, shaved, polished his shoes, put on his perfectly pressed suit to the 9's and took the elevator downstairs.  He walked right up to Mick Jagger, punched him square in the face and said "don't you ever ****ing call me YOUR ****ing drummer again!!  You're MY ****ing singer!"  Then he turned around, took the elevator upstairs, undressed out of his perfectly pressed suit, and went to bed.  That's Rock & Roll.  That's the kind of attitude that 90% of legendary rock and roll icons have.  The other 10% are dead from overdoses or suicide because they couldn't handle it. 

Watch the doc. Glenn Frey was a dick. 

Watch the doc. Glenn Frey was a dick. 

I watched a good portion of it (It's 3 friggin hours lol).  I'm not a huge Eagles fan being honest.  But as far as Frey, I think you're right he was a bit of a dick.  You don't think Plant was?  Page?  Jagger?  Bowie?  Allman?  They all were, it goes with the territory. 

Not like Glenn Frey. Every time he is interviewed, it's exhausting, it's all about how cool and special he is. Every time he talks about writing a song, he acts like he just discovered the cure for cancer. And when he talks about kicking people out of the band he's just a total prick about it every time. Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon and Don Felder can't all be total pricks. In fact, Randy Meisner seems like a pretty non-confrontational guy. Frey was an ass to him. Bernie Leadon simply disagreed with the direction of the music. Glenn Frey was such a dick to him he acted totally out of character. And the way he sh*ts all over Don Felder is just downright mean spirited. 

Not like Glenn Frey. Every time he is interviewed, it's exhausting, it's all about how cool and special he is. Every time he talks about writing a song, he acts like he just discovered the cure for cancer. And when he talks about kicking people out of the band he's just a total prick about it every time. Randy Meisner, Bernie Leadon and Don Felder can't all be total pricks. In fact, Randy Meisner seems like a pretty non-confrontational guy. Frey was an ass to him. Bernie Leadon simply disagreed with the direction of the music. Glenn Frey was such a dick to him he acted totally out of character. And the way he sh*ts all over Don Felder is just downright mean spirited. 

Dude died.  Is it just me or is a RIP thread one of the few places where you shouldn't get negative about someone?  We've had plenty of past threads bashing the Eagles here where you could have posted this stuff. 

Dude died.  Is it just me or is a RIP thread one of the few places where you shouldn't get negative about someone?  We've had plenty of past threads bashing the Eagles here where you could have posted this stuff. 

Sorry I didn't see the Eagle bashing threads, I would have gladly partaken. 

I don't get emotional about people I don't personally know dying, especially after learning what I've learned about Glenn Frey from that doc. 

Archived