A Decade Later; How does Mangini sit with you?

Paradis

I was reading the news of Kelly in SF flirting with keeping Mangini on staff...  Got me thinking, what do I think of Eric and his time here.

san-francisco-49ers-defensive-coordinato

Was he in fact, a poor coach? What was his biggest problem? (aesthetics aside, I already know he was a boring steak at pressers)

Or was it just poor timing, or that he too young? He managed to cultivate a fairly responsible locker room, and the talent got better throughout his tenure. It wasn't like the team wasn't finding any success under his regime. I mean, sh*t -- if Favre hadn't ripped his bicep angling for dick pics, we were on pace to dominate in '08. 

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think he has the ability to be a good HC, his biggest problem was doing a bad imitation of bill Belichick.  if he was just himself instead of trying to be BB he would have succeeded as a HC.

once again w/ Favre, the injury was an excuse. we were going nowhere whether he was healthy or banged up.  he never wanted to be here and played like it most of the year.

I still think he has the ability to be a good HC, his biggest problem was doing a bad imitation of bill Belichick.  if he was just himself instead of trying to be BB he would have succeeded as a HC.

once again w/ Favre, the injury was an excuse. we were going nowhere whether he was healthy or banged up.  he never wanted to be here and played like it most of the year.

Agree about Mangini. Disagree about Favre's injury.

If anything, between the QB injuries to Chad and Favre really derailed any chance Mangini had here. Of course he sh*t the bed in Cleveland, so there's that. (but then again, who doesn't sh*t the bed in Cleveland?)

Everything that I thought was good about him was disproven at his other stops. My initial feeling was that he did a good job establishing a "culture" and that the team was on the right track.  I thought he was a little too anal and used too many old school hard-ass tricks, push-ups, laps, Pete Kendall in the rookie dorms.  I was surprised that they went with Favre because IMO that rushed his timeline.  2007 was horrible, but I thought the QB injuries gave them a solid excuse and I figured they would trend upward, but Favre totally did not fit the team-first mentality and Mangini's credibility.  Since he has left the bullsh*t about reciting the names of the equipment managers and belittling memory tests at the combine came out and several players, including Revis, have commented how he sucked the fun out of the game. 

If anything, between the QB injuries to Chad and Favre really derailed any chance Mangini had here. Of course he sh*t the bed in Cleveland, so there's that. (but then again, who doesn't sh*t the bed in Cleveland?)

Chad always being hurt affected many of our seasons and it's the reason they got Favre but favre played 16 games, his career is defined by playing through pain.  he doesn't get an injury excuse. 

I am 50-50 on the Favre thing.  I 100% think that team is overrated around here.  OTOH, all they had to do was get in the playoffs and he gets another season and I think they could have pulled that off.

He had some very good aspects of being a coach, he was really nit picky on taking penalties and it showed during the year.  My only real beef with him was he and Sutton felll apart when Favre got hurt and went into 100% passive prevent mode defense, 3 man rushes all the friggin time.  They just wilted that year or maybe panic'd, that team had a shot to do some damage that season.

Everything that I thought was good about him was disproven at his other stops. My initial feeling was that he did a good job establishing a "culture" and that the team was on the right track.  I thought he was a little too anal and used too many old school hard-ass tricks, push-ups, laps, Pete Kendall in the rookie dorms.  I was surprised that they went with Favre because IMO that rushed his timeline.  2007 was horrible, but I thought the QB injuries gave them a solid excuse and I figured they would trend upward, but Favre totally did not fit the team-first mentality and Mangini's credibility.  Since he has left the bullsh*t about reciting the names of the equipment managers and belittling memory tests at the combine came out and several players, including Revis, have commented how he sucked the fun out of the game. 

for a guy that was barely out of his mid-30s, he sure had some balls on him. 

I am 50-50 on the Favre thing.  I 100% think that team is overrated around here.  OTOH, all they had to do was get in the playoffs and he gets another season and I think they could have pulled that off.

The west coast trips that year all went to sh*t.

Chad always being hurt affected many of our seasons and it's the reason they got Favre but favre played 16 games, his career is defined by playing through pain.  he doesn't get an injury excuse. 

oh I agree that Favre didn't want to be there, but that 2008 team had a real chance to do something if he had stayed healthy.

oh I agree that Favre didn't want to be there, but that 2008 team had a real chance to do something if he had stayed healthy.

It's tough to dispute that. Before his injury - we had strung together some very strong games - and our biggest road block (NE) lost Brady for the season. There was a window there, and we failed to cease the opportunity. 

watching him all year he didn't look much different in December than he did in September.  he had one nice stretch of games in November then it fell apart, I think the injury is an excuse but we can disagree:D

watching him all year he didn't look much different in December than he did in September.  he had one nice stretch of games in November then it fell apart, I think the injury is an excuse but we can disagree:D

Yeah, but you also have to factor in that the Jets brought him in here at the end of camp and he was thrown onto the field to start the year

By Nov he had that 6 TD game against the Rams... we go to NE and get the win, and then we beat the best team in the league (at least record wise) 34-13 in Tenn.   And then the wheels came off.. and we let Favre out of his contract so he can go play in Minny. Nice guys are we.

Yeah, but you also have to factor in that the Jets brought him in here at the end of camp and he was thrown onto the field to start the year

By Nov he had that 6 TD game against the Rams... we go to NE and get the win, and then we beat the best team in the league (at least record wise) 34-13 in Tenn.   And then the wheels came off.. and we let Favre out of his contract so he can go play in Minny. Nice guys are we.

I think one of the big "what ifs" in Jets history (aside from many of the obvious huge Peyton Manning/Bill Belichick situations) is what would have happened in Favre came back for Rex's first year. I really think we win it all.

Chad was brought in later for Miami and led a much less talented team to 11 wins(after they won 1 the year before) and a div title.

the 6 TD game was against Arizona in September.  he was playing very well for a 3-4 game stretch in November but that was about it(along w/ the Ari game) for the season.

Favre came here b/c we agreed it would be a 1 year deal and he could go to Minny to stick it to GB. it worked out for all teams- GB got the better QB to play in Rodgers, we had hope w/ a young QB(even though it didn't last too long) and Minny had a great short term solution w/ a motivated QB.  if we got the 2009 version that was in Minny we could have and would have won the SB in 2008 but we didn't get that version.

I think one of the big "what ifs" in Jets history (aside from many of the obvious huge Peyton Manning/Bill Belichick situations) is what would have happened in Favre came back for Rex's first year. I really think we win it all.

Not a chance b/c he never wanted to be here.  QB was NOT a problem for us in the playoffs, we got just as far as Minny did and unlike Minny we didn't lose our title game b/c of the mistakes of the QB.  if he wanted to be here and played here like he did in Minny in 2009 then that's different but he never wanted to be here and played like it most of the season.

Bad ownership leads to bad front office/coaching hires.  We shouldn't be surprised that a lot of our former coaches had sub-.500 records, then went on to suck elsewhere. 

At least this time around Woody SEEMS to have gone about his hiring of the GM/HC the right way.  I'm cautiously optimistic 1 year in.

woody has been a fine owner, he's no Leon hess.

I honestly don't have much problem with Woody's ownership.  The major problem I had was the way they hired Idzik.  Bringing in business head hunters.  They got what they were looking for.  A decent book keeper.

This time around I hope they got it right.  Brought in foot ball people, to hire a foot ball scout.  What a novel idea.  I'm with 80 on this.  I'm cautiously optimistic 

I honestly don't have much problem with Woody's ownership.  The major problem I had was the way they hired Idzik.  Bringing in business head hunters.  They got what they were looking for.  A decent book keeper.

This time around I hope they got it right.  Brought in foot ball people, to hire a foot ball scout.  What a novel idea.  I'm with 80 on this.  I'm cautiously optimistic 

H's definitely made mistakes but most of them have come recently.  firing Tannenbaum and hiring Idzik were the 2 big ones.  Other than that I don't really have any complaints about the way he has run the team.

That 2008 team played an easy schedule.  Check the league that year against the schedule

They beat Chad and the Fins, lost to NE without Brady.  Were absolutely crushed by the division winning 8-8 Chargers (rough west coast trip) then crushed the Cards who managed to lose the super bowl at 9-7 but had the same cross country excuse.  Beat the 4-11-1 Bengals, lost in OT to Jamarcus and the 5-11 Raiders..   Then we got hot against the Chiefs 2-14, Bills 7-9, Rams 2-14, on the road against the 11-5 Pats in OT still without Brady and finally a big win in Tennessee against the 13-3 Titans.  Apparently this is when Mr. Wrangler Jeans got hurt cause the wheels fell off.  Demolished at home against the 8-8 Broncos, lost to the 7-9 Niners, beat the Bills again and then finished out by scoring 3 against the 4-12 Seahawks and losing to Chad in the finale. 

They literally played the bottom of the barrel.  The Seahawks won 4 games, the Jets, the Niners and  2 against the Rams  The Niners won 7 games, but 2 were the Rams, 1 the Seahawks and 1 the Jets.  They started Shaun Hill.  This was shortly after the Singletary vs. Vernon Davis fiasco.  The Bengals won 4 games, but 3 were to end the season against teams that had been eliminated.  They started Fitzpatridk.  We had 4 quality wins.  Two were the Chad lead Dolphins a few weeks after his arrival and an OT game against Matt ******* Cassel.  Another was Arizona coming on the long east coast trip a week after they played in DC.  That team wasn't doing sh*t. 

Mangini completely sucks as a coach. Downright Kotitian. Chip Kelly is only thinking about keeping him because no defensive coach wants to work with him except a coach as desperate for work as Mangini. He's terrible. 

I have read that Mangini said that his biggest regret was signing off on bringing in Favre. Said that he felt that he sold his soul. I think that he wanted to retain Pennington. 

My opinion on Mangini's tenure with us is that he was a great football mind. Knew X's and O's as well as most coaches in the league. He (correctly) placed a lot of emphasis on player intelligence, locker room chemistry and leadership. Unfortunately, he had terrible people skills, and that was his major downfall. 

I think he's trying to build himself into getting another HC job or maybe high front office like a GM. The fact is he's a good Xs and Os guy and a competent DC. Although statistically the 49ers D had a poor season they did have several key guys who suddenly retired. They are rebuilding their defense and have improving talent and he's been a part of that. It'll be interesting to see if he could get along with Chip. In a way they seem to be similar. 

Peter Principle has applied to every coach between Parcells and Bowles (with the jury definitely still out on the latter).

Herm was a positional coach, no better. Mangini was a quality control guy suited to be kept in a film room without interacting with people.  Belichick boosted his career, much like he did for a lot of subpar assistants. Rex was a DC. None should have ever been HC's.

Peter Principle has applied to every coach between Parcells and Bowles (with the jury definitely still out on the latter).

Herm was a positional coach, no better. Mangini was a quality control guy suited to be kept in a film room without interacting with people.  Belichick boosted his career, much like he did for a lot of subpar assistants. Rex was a DC. None should have ever been HC's.

Fair enough....   but somehow I felt that Mangini should have been given another year...  9-7, 10-6  and  well the 2007 season with Kellen as QB.

However, I dont feel that strongly.

Archived