~ ~ Top 20 unrestricted free agents for 2016 ~ ~ ~

kelly

What ILB is a a great pass rusher? Besides, that's what Harris does here for this D and with that contract, he's not going anywhere.  What Trevahtan does that the Jets havent had in ages is his ability to cover TE's and the slot. And it's not like they really need him to rush the passer when they've got edge rushers galore.  So who knows, maybe he can get there if he's sent.

His 2 picks would have been 2 more than any ILB on the Jets.  His pick 6, would have been 1 more TD than the entire defense scored this season.

believe it or not David Harris averages like 4 sacks a year from the ILB position 

http://www.nfl.com/player/davidharris/2495621/profile

I believe. 

Meh, Willis had 6 sacks his best ever season.  The rest were basically 4 a year.  Same with Ray Lewis.  Same with Derrick Johnson, except less.  

Trevathan had 2, 2 years ago.  Again, I'm sure if he's asked, he can do it.  But why have him leave the middle of the field with guys like Miller, Ware, Ray, and comp. going after the passer?  His job is too cover which is pretty damn valuable at ILB, especially in a division that faces Gronk twice a year, especially on teams that can generate pressure with their front 4 (like the Jets).

Sure Perry and Irvin are better pass rushers but they play a different position and dont cover like Trevathan.  And Irvin would have to switch schemes too.

- On top of being able to generate more sacks than this guy, all those guys were better at bringing pressure.

- Pass rush is far, far, far more of a sure thing that coverage.

- You're buying high on this guy banking on him being able to keep up with Gronk. Meanwhile, the Jets have handled Gronk as well as any team in the NFL over the years, and he's only scored twice in their 4 matchups over the past two years.

This guy doesn't sound like a bad LB or anything, just kind of the wrong guy at the wrong time for the Jets. They don't need to put more money into the ILB position right now, and there's two young, ultra athletic OLBs who fit the roster better in Perry and Irvin.

- On top of being able to generate more sacks than this guy, all those guys were better at bringing pressure.

- Pass rush is far, far, far more of a sure thing that coverage.

- You're buying high on this guy banking on him being able to keep up with Gronk. Meanwhile, the Jets have handled Gronk as well as any team in the NFL over the years, and he's only scored twice in their 4 matchups over the past two years.

This guy doesn't sound like a bad LB or anything, just kind of the wrong guy at the wrong time for the Jets. They don't need to put more money into the ILB position right now, and there's two young, ultra athletic OLBs who fit the roster better in Perry and Irvin.

- His job wasnt to bring the pressure.  It's to cover the middle of the field.

- No argument here.  But your examples arent very good at it, like at all.  They're ok.  Neither any more impressive than Maudlin. He did more with less than both, basically.  Irvin played 753 snaps and only had 5.5 sacks.  Perry 350 and had 3.5.  Maudlin had 4 on 253 snaps.

- Gronk went for 11/108/1 and 4/86 vs. this D, this year.  Who cares what he did the other years vs. Rex.  This year, he killed the Jets. 

He's a great LB.  He's great in coverage and vs. the run.  He's not asked to pass rush because it not necessary for that D.  Perry and Irvin are nothing special.  I'd prefer to Maudlin in a full-time role than either of them.  

I guess the question is, who is going to cost you more?  Because neither Irvin and Perry are solving the pass rush issue and arent an upgrade over Maudlin.  But Trevathan posses a skill that would hopefully help vs. one of the Jets weaknesses, covering TE's and the middle of the field.  It's the reason Davis got benched on 3rd downs.  So he would be an instant upgrade.

- His job wasnt to bring the pressure.  It's to cover the middle of the field.

- No argument here.  But your examples arent very good at it, like at all.  They're ok.  Neither any more impressive than Maudlin. He did more with less than both, basically.  Irvin played 753 snaps and only had 5.5 sacks.  Perry 350 and had 3.5.  Maudlin had 4 on 253 snaps.

- Gronk went for 11/108/1 and 4/86 vs. this D, this year.  Who cares what he did the other years vs. Rex.  This year, he killed the Jets. 

He's a great LB.  He's great in coverage and vs. the run.  He's not asked to pass rush because it not necessary for that D.  Perry and Irvin are nothing special.  I'd prefer to Maudlin in a full-time role than either of them.  

I guess the question is, who is going to cost you more?  Because neither Irvin and Perry are solving the pass rush issue and arent an upgrade over Maudlin.  But Trevathan posses a skill that would hopefully help vs. one of the Jets weaknesses, covering TE's and the middle of the field.  It's the reason Davis got benched on 3rd downs.  So he would be an instant upgrade.

- Gronk scored one TD against the Jets this year. Killed is a bit of an overstatement.

- Covering the middle of the field is valuable if you can get it, but you don't give out a huge contract to a player in FA who only does that. That's how you end up with a different version of the issues the Jets have had at LB this decade. The window a LB can reasonably be expected to run with TEs and WRs is not wide open one, it's a young player skill that teams should look to draft - not pay premium dollars for in FA. This is especially the case since this guy missed all of 2014 and has only done it twice in his career.

- Mauldin can't play both OLB positions and I have serious doubts there's been enough viewings to confirm whether they're more impressive or not. We do know they're more athletic and not replacing Mauldin on the roster.

- While Perry and Irvin are nothing special, neither is this guy.

It then becomes what you want to pay for...upgrading the pass rush or a second contract to a MLB who's game revolves around tackles.

This is guy is more appealing than I give him credit for because his strength is pass defense, but it's a form of pass defense that I'm not sure ages as well as just going after the passer. I'd rather pay for pressures, hits, and sacks. They are more consistent, do more to a passing offense than a handful of deflections over the course of the season...That this guy raised his profile this year and a buyer will be buying him when he's at his highest also is a turnoff.

- Gronk scored one TD against the Jets this year. Killed is a bit of an overstatement.

- Covering the middle of the field is valuable if you can get it, but you don't give out a huge contract to a player in FA who only does that. That's how you end up with a different version of the issues the Jets have had at LB this decade. The window a LB can reasonably be expected to run with TEs and WRs is not wide open one, it's a young player skill that teams should look to draft - not pay premium dollars for in FA. This is especially the case since this guy missed all of 2014 and has only done it twice in his career.

- Mauldin can't play both OLB positions and I have serious doubts there's been enough viewings to confirm whether they're more impressive or not. We do know they're more athletic and not replacing Mauldin on the roster.

- While Perry and Irvin are nothing special, neither is this guy.

It then becomes what you want to pay for...upgrading the pass rush or a second contract to a MLB who's game revolves around tackles.

This is guy is more appealing than I give him credit for because his strength is pass defense, but it's a form of pass defense that I'm not sure ages as well as just going after the passer. I'd rather pay for pressures, hits, and sacks. They are more consistent, do more to a passing offense than a handful of deflections over the course of the season...That this guy raised his profile this year and a buyer will be buying him when he's at his highest also is a turnoff.

- 15/190/1 - that's pretty much killing it.

- Trevathan doesnt only do that.  He plays the run well too.  And again, I'm sure he can rush the passer.  He had 2 sacks a couple of years ago before they acquired Ware.  He doesnt need to rush the passer on the team.  Their front 4 does it better than anyone.  He's 25.  Not sure what missing a year has to do with anything.

- You can doubt Maudlin all you want but he out performed with less snaps the 2 guys you're talking up, Irvin and Perry. 

- Disagree.  Trevathan has an extremely valuable skill set and probably does it better than anyone not named Keuchely (who ironically doesnt rush the passer either, is he not worth it?).  Again, he's better at what he does than Irvin and Perry are at what they do.

I'm not sure what his price tag is but I do know that thinking you're going to find a beastly pass rusher in FA and not think you're going to pay a premium for it is just crazy talk. I'd prefer trying to find an OLB early in the draft and roll with said player and Maudlin.  With that strategy in mind, signing a guy like Trevathan would really boost this D, big time. 

All that said, if he's asking for a ridiculous price tag, then I'm with you...it's probably not great money spent but I'm not sure he's going to carry a huge price tag.  Could be wrong though.  I'm stupid when it comes to cap and contract stuff. 

Mike Maccagnan deserved to be voted ‘Executive of the Year‘ by the PFWA. He did. No question about it.

The Jets GM inherited a talent-deprived team, added talent, and turned four wins in 2014, to a 10-6 mark in 2015.That’s good. Heck, that’s really good. But, for the most part, Maccagnan’s job was easy.If you’d taken any old fan and asked him what he’d like the Jets to do, he’d have probably come down with, in some way, shape or form, exactly what Maccagnan did last offseason. Need cornerback help? Sign the three best on the market. Need a receiver? Trade for one. In the draft? Take the best player available.

It was, for all intents and purposes, easy for Maccagnan last year.

That’s not really the case this season.

With limited resources and some in-house talent that needs to be re-signed, Maccagnan’s true ability as a GM will shine through this year. One of the biggest ways he’s going to have to improve New York’s roster is with smart, financially-reasonable acquisitions on the open market. He doesn’t have that little $60-million gift card left for him by that jettisoned former GM named ‘Idzik.’

So, what names on the market would Maccagnan be smart to target? Here are a few, assuming they aren’t retained by their present teams, that would be wise additions :

James Starks
Running Back, Green Bay Packers, 29 YO

Bilal Powell is a free agent.Chris Ivory is, too. As the days come and go, it seems awfully likely that Ivory’s days with the Jets are numbered. The back wants money, and, with questions surrounding his durability, it really doesn’t make sense for New York to pony up big cash.And that’s where Starks comes in.Despite the fact he’s going to turn 30 come the end of February, Starks has an awful lot of tread left on his tires. In his six NFL seasons, the back has just 555 carries. In fact, in just two of those seasons has he rushed more than 100 times. This past year, he touched the ball on the ground more than ever before in his career… and he had just 148 rushes.  On those carries, he ran for a career-high 601 yards and two scores.

Starks is versatile, with the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and block well in pass protection. He also would be reasonably priced, certainly much cheaper than Ivory would cost to retain. In fact, it’s not unreasonable to think that the Jets could sign Starks, and re-sign Powell, for less than it would cost to simply bring back Ivory.Looking at a backfield featuring an overall back in Starks, third-down option in Powell, and bigger/bruiser back in Zac Stacy? That’s not bad. Especially for the cost.

Kelechi Osemele
Offensive Guard/Tackle, Baltimore Ravens, 26 YO

The Jets don’t have the finances to make splashes (plural), but what they do have is the money to make one, maybe two high-level signings in free agency. Assuming Osemele hits the open market, which is no guarantee, it would be one of New York’s smarter moves to acquire the versatile offensive lineman.

Right now, the Jets have two major holes on the offensive line that need improving this year. Yes, replacements for Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson need to eventually be found, but that’s not a this-year priority. At right guard? At right tackle? Well, those need to be fixed.Brian Winters was serviceable last year, but not top-notch and likely wouldn’t start for many other teams. Breno Giacomini at tackle put together one of the worst seasons of his career. It’s assumed that the Jets will look to fill one of these holes in the early rounds of the draft, but they can’t fill both with a significant need at outside linebacker also a priority.

So that brings us to Osemele. The young, versatile, talented guard/tackle of the Ravens.

A season ago, Osemele was a bit of an everything man for the Ravens. He started 10 games at left guard, then made the switch over to left tackle. Per Pro Football Focus, he graded out pretty well at each spot. Osemele finished with a PFF grade of 18.1 at guard, the seventh-best among left guards that played at least 25 percent of their teams snaps. As a tackle, he did not allow a sack despite facing the Seattle Seahawks, Kansas City Chiefs, Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals. Not too shabby.Now, it has been reported that Osemele is seeking left tackle money, which shouldn’t come as a surprise. But if the Jets instead offered him one of the top salaries among guards, that may be a better bet than a mid-level, left-tackle contract.In a way, Osemele could be the Jets insurance policy. Say that 20th pick in the NFL Draft rolls around, and the best available player is an offensive guard. The Jets can subsequently take that guard, then have Osemele play tackle. Say come the Jets pick the best available player is a tackle, well, Osemele can then play guard. In the second round, New York can select a pass rusher.

Suddenly, Osemele allows the Jets to fill three holes with the three best possible solutions.Again, signing Osemele wouldn’t be cheap. And it shouldn’t. In order to acquire good players, you’ve got to pony up, sometimes, some good money. But at 26, Osemele is worth it. He could be a staple on the Jets line for the next eight seasons.

Vernon Davis
Denver Broncos, Tight End, 32 Years Old

Let the criticisms fly.

He’s awful! He’s old! He’s washed up! Did you see him in Denver? No way. Absolutely not. I’d rather keep Jeff Cumberland! — Ok, maybe not that one

Yup. This is crazy talk, no? Why in the world would the Jets want to acquire a player in Davis who has played so poorly with the Broncos this season?Why? Because, for a reasonable salary, Davis is arguably the best run-blocking tight end on the open market that also possesses the ability to stretch the field and be a component in the passing game. For all is faults, and there have been a lot this year in Denver, Davis still has a skill set that few at his position possess.

He’s big (6-3, 250 pounds), he’s fast and he can block.

The Jets, with Quincy Enunwa and Jace Amaro on the roster, don’t really need an elite-level tight end. It doesn’t make sense to pay them that kind of money. What they need is a blocker, and it’s why Kellen Davis started the majority of the Jets second half games. But Kellen Davis was an immense liability in the pass game. Davis, is not.With a market that likely won’t be clamoring for his services, Davis presents the Jets a nice opportunity to get a talented tight end for cheap. If they’re not paying him much, what exactly is the downside? He’s as serviceable as Kellen Davis is as a blocker, but a vast improvement as a receiver. Heck, even if the Jets elect to draft a “tight end of the future” in the mid-to-late rounds, Vernon Davis could be quite the mentor. It wasn’t long ago that he was one of the game’s best tight ends.Again, Davis isn’t a guy the Jets should give $5 million to. Absolutely not. But $2 million? $1.5? An incentive-heavy contract? That’s not a bad idea.

Jeremy Ross 
Baltimore Ravens/Detroit Lions, WR/KR, 27 YO

The Jets don’t view the kick and punt return positions as a priority. In their minds, a player needs to have dual value. They’re simply not going to give a player a roster spot if all he can do is return kicks or punts. Not gonna happen. Was displayed last year, and confirmed by ex-special teams coordinator Bobby April.

While April has since been fired, it wasn’t his call to not have a returner that was strictly that, a returner. That came from those higher up on the food chain. That’s why you saw guys like Antonio Cromartie (also a cornerback) and Zac Stacy (also a running back) running back kicks, while Jeremy Kerley (also a receiver) ran back punts.Don’t look for that ideology to change. Instead, look for the Jets to target players on the open market that could potentially bring multiple talents to the roster.Jeremy Ross, who’s in his third NFL season, is a player that may be worth a look for the Jets. He’s not short at 6 foot, which will make offensive coordinator Chan Gailey happy. He’s got speed, which will make Maccagnan happy. And he’s got dual value, which will make coach Todd Bowles happy.

If nothing else, Ross would be the perfect camp body for the Jets to play with this summer and see if they can’t find a home for him on the roster. If signed, he’d instantly shoot atop the depth chart at both kick and punt returner, which is something the Jets didn’t have from one player last year. In his three years in the NFL, Ross has an 11.1 yards-per-punt-return average, and averages 25 yards per kick return. He has two return touchdowns (one punt, one kick) in his career.Also, while he hasn’t done much of it in his career, he could be a player that’s worth a shot on offense. He did catch 24 passes for 314 yards and score in 2014, and nine passes for 88 yards in five games with the Ravens last year. The Jets have their wideouts set, but Ross could be that wildcard thrown in during certain formations.

Ross is no sure thing, and heck, he may not even make it out of training camp. But he’s certainly a player Maccagnan should look into if nothing more than to “see what’s there.” Best case scenario? He fills the role of kick and punt returner while bringing speed to the offense. Worst case? He’s cut at the end of camp with little financial repercussions.

>   http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/01/nfl-free-agency-jets-should-target-vernon-davis-james-starks/

- 15/190/1 - that's pretty much killing it.

- Trevathan doesnt only do that.  He plays the run well too.  And again, I'm sure he can rush the passer.  He had 2 sacks a couple of years ago before they acquired Ware.  He doesnt need to rush the passer on the team.  Their front 4 does it better than anyone.  He's 25.  Not sure what missing a year has to do with anything.

- You can doubt Maudlin all you want but he out performed with less snaps the 2 guys you're talking up, Irvin and Perry. 

- Disagree.  Trevathan has an extremely valuable skill set and probably does it better than anyone not named Keuchely (who ironically doesnt rush the passer either, is he not worth it?).  Again, he's better at what he does than Irvin and Perry are at what they do.

I'm not sure what his price tag is but I do know that thinking you're going to find a beastly pass rusher in FA and not think you're going to pay a premium for it is just crazy talk. I'd prefer trying to find an OLB early in the draft and roll with said player and Maudlin.  With that strategy in mind, signing a guy like Trevathan would really boost this D, big time. 

All that said, if he's asking for a ridiculous price tag, then I'm with you...it's probably not great money spent but I'm not sure he's going to carry a huge price tag.  Could be wrong though.  I'm stupid when it comes to cap and contract stuff. 

- The only doubting of Mauldin going on in that post is that he can play two OLB spots at the same time. It's a fair thing to doubt.

- Missing a year, a full year, to injury as an athlete should have something to do with something, especially if you plan on spending FA dollars on that player.

-  I think I pretty clearly state that he has a valuable skillset if you can get it cheap - most likely through the draft. The actual issue I have is not addressed here - specifically his ability to keep up with TEs and slot WRs as he enters his late 20s. That seems like a young player's skillset, something that requires fresh legs and/or freakish athleticism. Kuechly is a freak athlete among freak athletes who put up the top 40, broad jump, vertical, and 3 cone of all the LBers in his draft class and has no significant injury history. Trevathan? Not so much. To offer some perspective on how that bears out - Kuechly hasn't missed a season to injury and has 22 PDS/5 INTs in the past two years. Trevathan has 19 PDs and 5 INTs for his whole career.

- I'd rather pay the beastly pass rusher in FA than buy high on a cover linebacker without elite athleticism and a clean injury history. The Jets actually have one of the top 2 defensive FAs in Wilkerson, so I'd focus on getting that done before moving onto move the margins in the pass rush with an Irvin or Perry.

- Considering the year he's had, the team he's on, and the fact that this is probably his last change to cash in as an NFL player...I think he costs too much to be appealing. I do think, for the role he might play, they should kick the tires on Mark Barron at Mark Barron kind of prices.

- The only doubting of Mauldin going on in that post is that he can play two OLB spots at the same time. It's a fair thing to doubt.

- Missing a year, a full year, to injury as an athlete should have something to do with something, especially if you plan on spending FA dollars on that player.

-  I think I pretty clearly state that he has a valuable skillset if you can get it cheap - most likely through the draft. The actual issue I have is not addressed here - specifically his ability to keep up with TEs and slot WRs as he enters his late 20s. That seems like a young player's skillset, something that requires fresh legs and/or freakish athleticism. Kuechly is a freak athlete among freak athletes who put up the top 40, broad jump, vertical, and 3 cone of all the LBers in his draft class and has no significant injury history. Trevathan? Not so much. To offer some perspective on how that bears out - Kuechly hasn't missed a season to injury and has 22 PDS/5 INTs in the past two years. Trevathan has 19 PDs and 5 INTs for his whole career.

- I'd rather pay the beastly pass rusher in FA than buy high on a cover linebacker without elite athleticism and a clean injury history. The Jets actually have one of the top 2 defensive FAs in Wilkerson, so I'd focus on getting that done before moving onto move the margins in the pass rush with an Irvin or Perry.

- Considering the year he's had, the team he's on, and the fact that this is probably his last change to cash in as an NFL player...I think he costs too much to be appealing. I do think, for the role he might play, they should kick the tires on Mark Barron at Mark Barron kind of prices.

Pretty meaningless and petty debate at this point.  You dont like him.  Cool.  

It will be interesting to see what type of contract he gets and which magical pass rusher the Jets land in FA.

Pretty meaningless and petty debate at this point.  You dont like him.  Cool.  

It will be interesting to see what type of contract he gets and which magical pass rusher the Jets land in FA.

I like to think it's more complicated than that. I don't like how skepticism or praise gets spun as hate or love, it's not that nuts. He seems like a quality enough player, and there's a fit for what he offers on the roster. I just question whether that specific skillset is something you want to pay FA prices for...The pass rusher will be Wilkerson, but hopefully there's a clever LB buy (yes, my preference so far is Perry or Irvin) to compound the move.

I like to think it's more complicated than that. I don't like how skepticism or praise gets spun as hate or love, it's not that nuts. He seems like a decent player, and there's a fit for what he offers on the roster. I just question whether that specific skillset is something you want to pay FA prices for...The pass rusher will be Wilkerson, but hopefully there's a clever buy like Perry or Irvin there just to compound the move.

I didnt say hate.  I said "you dont like him"...and you dont.  You think he's decent.  Not sure what you're getting confused.  If you didnt have skepticism, you'd like him, no? Seems pretty simple and not complicated at all.

"He seems like a decent player" - yet, you're expecting him to come with some huge price tag?  Weird.

Again, this is a meaningless conversation at this point. 

I didnt say hate.  I said "you dont like him"...and you dont.  You think he's decent.  Not sure what you're getting confused.  If you didnt have skepticism, you'd like him, no? Seems pretty simple and not complicated at all.

"He seems like a decent player" - yet, you're expecting him to come with some huge price tag?  Weird.

Again, this is a meaningless conversation at this point. 

1 - I got into a debate yesterday where talking about extending Wilkerson meant that I love Wilkerson. It's just a weird thing. I think a decent player a compliment, and I've called him a solid plan B.

2 - I did explain why I thought he's getting a huge price tag, pretty well if I may say so myself. He's young-ish, just had a quality season, played for a high profile team on a high profile defense, and this is probably his last significant FA contract....What are the reasons he wouldn't be looking at a huge price tag? Hope?

I vote for tedious, but that's just making the conversation more tedious.

1 - I got into a debate yesterday where talking about extending Wilkerson meant that I love Wilkerson. It's just a weird thing. I think a decent player a compliment, and I've called him a solid plan B.

2 - I did explain why I thought he's getting a huge price tag, pretty well if I may say so myself. He's young-ish, just had a quality season, played for a high profile team on a high profile defense, and this is probably his last significant FA contract....What are the reasons he wouldn't be looking at a huge price tag? Hope?

I vote for tedious, but that's just making the conversation more tedious.

Tedious

Lamar Miller isn't on this "expert" list, and I was curious what everyone thought he will bring on the open market.  Mark Ingram signed a $4 Million per last season, and I don't know why he should expect anymore than that.  So, what would be the realistic price that would make everyone happy?  I say anything under $5 Million per.  

7408.jpg

Lamar Miller | Running Back | #26

Team:  Miami Dolphins
Age / DOB:   (24) / 4/25/1991
Ht / Wt:   5'10' / 225
College:  Miami (FL)
Drafted:  2012 / Rd. 4 (97) / MIA
Contract:  view contract details
Share: 

LATEST NEWS

RECENT NEWS

ESPN Dolphins reporter James Walker said there is a "40 percent" chance impending free agent Lamar Miller returns to Miami.
That might be generous. The Dolphins may be able to convince Miller the new coaching staff will better utilize him after being woefully underused the last four seasons, but they would still need to come up with the money. With Doug Martin likely staying with the Bucs, Miller will be the hottest young running back on the open market, and Miami is currently projected to be over the cap. They can save around $18 million by restructuring Ndamukong Suh's deal, but they also need to re-sign DE Olivier Vernon. With those cap limitations, spending a lot of money on a running back might not make sense. Feb 2 - 9:31 AM

The second offseason for general manager Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles at the helm of the Jets will be just about as busy as their first. High on their new year's to-do list will be preparing to address the 23 players on their roster who can become free agents in March.

Maccagnan expressed his general approach to those players when he was asked at his end-of-the-season news conference about signing DE Muhammad Wilkerson to a long-term deal."Needless to say, Muhammad played very well this year," Maccagnan said. "I think with him, and all of our players that we had on the team last year, we’re going to try to figure out ways to keep as many of them as we can. But I don’t want to go too far down that road because it’s early. In a perfect world, we’d keep everybody on the roster, but we have to see how this thing unfolds."

Bowles naturally has a similar approach. Asked about retaining not only Wilkerson but NT Damon Harrisonand keeping his defensive front intact, the coach said, "That’s something we have to figure out in the offseason, obviously. There’s going to be some tricky parts on our doing it and guys wanting to come back and just working it all out. We have a while to get all of that done, so there’s a lot of things that have to be talked about before then."

The situations of some players below will draw more headlines than others. Wilkerson is one player. QBRyan Fitzpatrick is another. As Bowles said about the importance of keeping Fitzpatrick for continuity's sake on offense:"It’s just not about bringing Fitz back, it’s about being able to afford him or somebody else overpaying for him and those types of things. But you can’t take away from anything that he’s done this year from a records standpoint or otherwise. He’s been great for the guys in the locker room and he knows we want him back and he wants to be back. It’s just a matter of working it out."

Another position fans will be paying close attention to is running back, where Chris IvoryBilal Powell andStevan Ridley all are potential unrestricted free agents. Ivory cleared 1,000 rushing yards for the first time in his career, Powell came back from an early ankle sprain with a strong second half, and Ridley picked up speed as he was worked back into the RB rotation from his year-long knee rehab.Other players on the list will be weighing whether to return and extend their long and accomplished careers. LB Calvin Pace said he'd like to play his 14th NFL season and G Willie Colon said the same about coming back for his 11th season. But in the case of Colon, who finished the season on injured reserve, he said :

"That's my mind talking and my heart. My body may be saying something else, so I have to be sensitive about that. I'm just going to take time this offseason and listen to myself."

Here is the list of the 23 Jets who can potentially become free agents in March. The three potential restricted free agents are designated (RFA).

OFFENSE

QB — Ryan Fitzpatrick

RB — Chris Ivory, Bilal Powell, Stevan Ridley

WR — Chris OwusuKenbrell Thompkins (RFA)

TE — Kellen DavisZach Sudfeld (RFA)

OL — Willie Colon, Ben Ijalana

DEFENSE

DL — Stephen BowenLeger Douzable, Damon Harrison, Muhammad Wilkerson

LB — Demario DavisErin HendersonJamari Lattimore, Calvin Pace

DB — Antonio AllenJaiquawn JarrettDarrin Walls

SPECIALISTS

K — Randy Bullock

P — Ryan Quigley (RFA)

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Maccagnan-Bowles-Prep-for-Free-Agency-Year-2/c00b0997-bdc3-45f2-81d6-38b1e2325969

2 hours ago, kelly said:

TOP FREE AGENTS WILL LIKELY STAY PUT

There won't be a top player hitting free agency this offseason, according to Adam Schefter. Many of the bigger names, like Muhammad Wilkerson, will be given the franchise tag. Schefter: Offseason storylines

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The cream of the crop free agents won't make it to the Market( Von Miller, J       Norman , Wilkerson, E Berry  etc) that's almost every year.    Still going to be some big time players who are going to be switching teams this year. Teams can only franchise tag one player.    So Von Miller doesn't make it to the market, but Danny Travathan and Malik Jackson will.   Eric berry gets franchised but Sean Smith, and D Johnson will make it to the market.

The point is Schefter just blowing smoke because what he said happens almost every year- they actually paid him for that analysis.

On 1/21/2016 at 1:02 PM, Raideraholic said:

Tell me what do the Jets do if they can't move Muhammad Wilkerson in a trade.  He signs that tender they can still trade him , but they are on the books for 16 million dollars .      D Harrison will be already gone , as the Jets can tag only one player.

The above made me think of Snacks signing a chicken tender.

Archived