Was Parcells more bad than good for Jets in the long term?

AFJF

Heard Gary Myers again talking about some of the tidbits from his book.

Mentioned again how all Archie Manning wanted from Parcells was a promise that he'd take Peyton number one overall but BP wouldn't commit so he told him to go back to school.

Then repeated the story about the scout who was begging Parcells to take Brady in the 5th round but he refused.

Combine that with Parcells hanging around and essentially chasing Belichick off to New England.

Thoughts?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting.  However, we probably wouldn't have had a chance at Belichick had he not been here in the first place (which he was because of Parcells).  As for Peyton, that one hurts if the story is true (and I have heard it many times).  As for Brady, that's another one that really hurts if true.  Still though, Parcells got us closest to a title than I've ever seen in my life.  I'm convinced we would've beaten Atlanta had we made the SB.  And we led 10-0 in the 2nd half against Denver in the AFC CG.  We were close.

Mentioned again how all Archie Manning wanted from Parcells was a promise that he'd take Peyton number one overall but BP wouldn't commit so he told him to go back to school.

Then repeated the story about the scout who was begging Parcells to take Brady in the 5th round but he refused.

Combine that with Parcells hanging around and essentially chasing Belichick off to New England.

Thoughts?

interesting but it's so long ago.  Read about Brady's cotton bowl performance and today he would never make it to round 2 or 3. 

Time has shown Parcells to have more flaws than we thought but I won't condemn him.  He took us from the depth of the bottom.  

interesting but it's so long ago.  Read about Brady's cotton bowl performance and today he would never make it to round 2 or 3. 

Time has shown Parcells to have more flaws than we thought but I won't condemn him.  He took us from the depth of the bottom.  

True, and that's why I've always liked him so much.  But is there anyone other than Parcells who wouldn't have been willing to give Archie the guarantee to get Peyton in Green and White?

If the Manning story is true, which both Parcells and Archie have denied, yes that was a blunder.

The whole Parcells experience was in the long term very good for the Jets.  It started a new culture for he Jets.   In the 10 years before Parcells the Jets were 54-81 with 1 playoff appearance and  lost in the wild card round.  They were truley a laughing stock.

Since Parcells the Jets have been 156-81 with 7 playoff appearances.  3 trips to the ACC game.  They only had one prior to that.  (The Mud Bowl)  Not great, (no rings)  but not so much of a laughing stock.

The next big step is about to take place under the Macc era     

True, and that's why I've always liked him so much.  But is there anyone other than Parcells who wouldn't have been willing to give Archie the guarantee to get Peyton in Green and White?

in Parcells defense... Manning was a junior in college and who knew what he would become.  All that talent and very low playoff wins etc.  I haven't checked it but didn't he also show signs in college of breaking under pressure?  I'll check it but he did have some chokes in college. 

Interesting.  However, we probably wouldn't have had a chance at Belichick had he not been here in the first place (which he was because of Parcells).  As for Peyton, that one hurts if the story is true (and I have heard it many times).  As for Brady, that's another one that really hurts if true.  Still though, Parcells got us closest to a title than I've ever seen in my life.  I'm convinced we would've beaten Atlanta had we made the SB.  And we led 10-0 in the 2nd half against Denver in the AFC CG.  We were close.

Why do I get so depressed when people mention this game?  LOL  Yeah I'm 100% sure we would beat Atlanta.  The Jets had handled them nicely earlier in the year.     (Weeping)

And of course there's the "Mud Bowl"   I watched it drunk in Happy Valley   with  a bunch of drunken Jets' fans.     Horrible day

in Parcells defense... Manning was a junior in college and who knew what he would become.  All that talent and very low playoff wins etc.  I haven't checked it but didn't he also show signs in college of breaking under pressure?  I'll check it but he did have some chokes in college. 

Peyton was far and away the best QB in the draft.  So much so that rumors at the time said he went back to school because he knew the Jets would take him at number one and he didn't want to go to NY.  

Peyton was far and away the best QB in the draft.  So much so that rumors at the time said he went back to school because he knew the Jets would take him at number one and he didn't want to go to NY.  

Yep, that's what I recall. Hillbilly wanted no part of NY. Had nothin to do with Parcells not be willing to take him no. 1.

Yep, that's what I recall. Hillbilly wanted no part of NY. Had nothin todo with Parcells not be willing to take him no. 1.

Based on how Archie handled Eli situation, having no issue with him coming to NY, hard to believe Peyton would have had any worries.  Archie ran things for them.  If NY was good enough for Eli, it would've been good enough for Peyton IMO.

I play golf at a club here in Charlotte.  There is a former NFL DB who played in the 90s who I know fairly OK from the club.   He told me that players in the 90 s  tried to avoid the JETS.   He was very respectful when he said it... He played 8 years in the league. He went to an ACC school. 

I play golf at a club here in Charlotte.  There is a former NFL DB who played in the 90s who I know fairly OK from the club.   He told me that players in the 90 s  tried to avoid the JETS.   He was very respectful when he said it... He played 8 years in the league. He went to an ACC school. 

I have no doubt that in the 90's players avoided the Jets unless they were stupidly paid.   

When Parcells came there was a different Buzz about the Jets.  Archie and Bill are in fact good friends.  Parcells has talked about how he has purchased several Cadillac from Archie's dealership.   Even though both of them deny that Bill wouldn't commit to Peyton, so he went back to school, I'm inclined to believe it.

He was bad.

The caveat being that he compromised LONG TERM team stability in regards to the SALARY CAP RAMIFICATIONS for Short-term PERSONAL GLORIFICATION AS THE SAVIOUR in that he TRULY BELIEVED he could win IT ALL in 1999. SIGNING Eric Green, Steve Atwater, Roman Phifer as the last KEY pieces to complete the puzzle BLEW UP in his face when Vincenzo's Achilles tore in the season opener. He leveraged us to the 'til and the KEY PIECE to the team's success blew a fatal gasket.

We had no draft picks, no cap space, and no FORESEEABLE FUTURE QB AFTER game 2 in 1999. 

Depending on the type of person you are, he mortgaged the house on 1999 and went all in. He was a Gambling man, and the HOUSE KICKED OUR A$$. Considering the aging veteran leadership/roster that year, we were POISED to take the NFL by storm that year; destiny felt otherwise.

what makes it "BAD" IMO, was that he jumped ship with a BULL$hît MAN IN THE MIRROR speech after '99 citing being DONE WITH THE NFL, only to return to the NFL equivalent of the NFL's ANIMAL HOUSE w/JerryJones a few years later. ALL CREDIBILITY LOST. 

If he had returned in 2000, Vinny would be healthy, the ELITE CS OF OC WEISS, DC BELICHECK, QB Coach HENNING, DL Romeo Crennel, LB Al Groh, QC Ass Todd Haley, & Def QCA Mangini, would have remained and..............

WE WOULD HAVE WIPED THE AFC CONFERENCE WITH TOILET PAPER!!!!!!!!

As a PS- no Keyshawn trade would still have netted us Shaun Ellis & Chad Penington.

OH!!!!!!!!! WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN?!?!?!?'bmbmbmbm

It's 2 am in NYC AND IM PRETTY PLASTERED at a bar amidst a blizzard, 

that being said,

i UNDERSTAND WHY he put all his chips in for 1999, but it GLORIOUSLY blew up in his face and we had to pay the price a few years thereafter for his ALL IN GAMBLE in 1999. I wouldn't be as begrudgeon if he had NOT JUMPED SHIP CITING THE LEAGUE HAD JADED HIM INDEFINITELY ......

only to return to FÜÇKING G DALLAS OF ALL PLACES within 4 years. **** HIM AND JIS MERCENARY LYING WAYS.

I HAVE SAID MY PEACE.

On TO THE SHOVELIG.   

**** HIM

HE ALSO TWISTED THE DAGGER BY COPPING CHADWICK IN 2008 when he ran the Fins to STEAL THE AFC EAST CROWN I GAME 16.

worst Xmas, yet well intentioned, gift by a girlfriend EVER

DAMNNYOU FAVRE YOU mid-season QUITTING A$$fück!!!!!

Based on how Archie handled Eli situation, having no issue with him coming to NY, hard to believe Peyton would have had any worries.  Archie ran things for them.  If NY was good enough for Eli, it would've been good enough for Peyton IMO.

Archie has explicitly stated that Peyton couldn't handle New York the same way Eli does.

It's 2 am in NYC AND IM PRETTY PLASTERED at a bar amidst a blizzard, 

that being said,

i UNDERSTAND WHY he put all his chips in for 1999, but it GLORIOUSLY blew up in his face and we had to pay the price a few years thereafter for his ALL IN GAMBLE in 1999. I wouldn't be as begrudgeon if he had NOT JUMPED SHIP CITING THE LEAGUE HAD JADED HIM INDEFINITELY ......

only to return to FÜÇKING G DALLAS OF ALL PLACES within 4 years. **** HIM AND JIS MERCENARY LYING WAYS.

I HAVE SAID MY PEACE.

On TO THE SHOVELIG.   

that's hilarious. I'm home in Charlotte... Snowed in.   NOTHING to do..so it's Entourage marathon and Jetnation.  

Rather be in a bar.......?

Like all of us Big Bill had some good & some bad about him.

that being said, he certainly changed much more to the good for this team.

hard to hold Brady against him with every other GM also passing on him 198 times

If Brady had been picked by the Jets in the 5th round, would he ever have amounted to anything? Would we have developed him, would we have even let him see the field? It took Herm forever to let Penny get on the field, and he was a 1st rounder.

Eli and Peyton are two totally different cats. Eli is cool as a cucumber,, while Peyton generally folds when the heat gets turned up. Eli has the mental toughness to handle NYC, Peyton, not so much. Think Archie knew that, and advised both accordingly.

You would think, if Peyton was here, there's no way Eli winds up in the same market, same stadium

No, he wanted to go to NY.  He was afraid that if Parcells traded the pick it would be to NO, there was talk that NO wanted to somehow get him because of their history with Archie.  That was their fear.  If Parcells assured him he would turn down trade requests Peyton was coming out of school.  

You would think, if Peyton was here, there's no way Eli winds up in the same market, same stadium

I don't get it.  You're saying that if Peyton were drafted by Parcells then Eli wouldn't have pushed for a trade to the Giants?  I don't buy that.

Btw, I can't even believe a player would force their way out of San Diego, w/ their beautiful weather.  NY is a great city (especially when you're rich like Eli) but we have snowstorms here.  It's going to reach 63 today there.

I don't get it.  You're saying that if Peyton were drafted by Parcells then Eli wouldn't have pushed for a trade to the Giants?  I don't buy that.

Btw, I can't even believe a player would force their way out of San Diego, w/ their beautiful weather.  NY is a great city (especially when you're rich like Eli) but we have snowstorms here.  It's going to reach 63 today there.

I don't think Archie would have wanted Eli so in Peyton's shadow.  

Archie didn't want Eli in SD, because they had been so bad for so long.  Archie took a beating playing for crap teams, and did not want that for Eli.  And being a rookie QB in NY is tough, but being one in NY where your brother is Peyton in his prime would have been really hard.

Thoughts?

Yes, overall I think Parcells changed the culture of the team, but as he has done his entire career, the grass was greener somewhere else and even though he wrote a book called 'The Final Season' it was far from his final season. First he went to Dallas for four years, then Miami. Parcells was a great coach who was never satisfied with his status anywhere. I think he did far more things wrong - his draft record was awful - than good for the Jets. Not taking a franchise QB like Payton Manning was a colossal mistake. Could have changed everything in one fell swoop. Imagine the Jets with Keyshawn, Curtis Martin and Wayne Chrebet having Manning throwing to them. Can you say Super Bowl?

No, he wanted to go to NY.  He was afraid that if Parcells traded the pick it would be to NO, there was talk that NO wanted to somehow get him because of their history with Archie.  That was their fear.  If Parcells assured him he would turn down trade requests Peyton was coming out of school.  

And Parcells should have known the value of a potential franchise QB. He didn't have one at the time at all as Glenn Foley was the starter when he arrived and Boomer Esiason was on his way to Arizona as a FA. I don't see how Parcells could have passed up Manning and I will never forgive him for doing so. The best draft picks he made were Jason Fabini, Randy Thomas and Ryan Young. In 2000 he made the trade for Keyshawn and got two first rounders. He got Chad Pennington and Sean Ellis along with John Abraham and later Laveraunes Coles. He also got James Farrior who he didn't like and sent to Pittsburgh. All in all a mixed bag because he missed on the best one....Manning.

Archived