2016 Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is the first time any of these goddamned teams has been any fun at all since Jason Kidd died of old age in the middle of the playoffs.

We averaged what, 1.5 runs a game for the first quarter of the season? and now they're dropping double digits seemingly at will against  teams  ahead of us for the WC spot. It's just refreshing to see the players that are doing well aren't also filling out their AARP card. 

The Blue Jays are free falling.  Yet another team that decides to 'tinker' with their starting staff, adding another starter who is not that great and having a ridiculous 6 man rotation because they don't want to give too many innings to Aaron Sanchez.  Almost to a man their starters have declined badly since that move, too much rest, not enough innings.

Really impressed with Castro who incredibly is still only 26 years old....seems like he's been around forever.

That's one deal along with possibly the Heyward signing that Theo would probably like a mulligan on.  Cubs are great as it is but it would be interesting to see how Theo and company would have spent the Heyward and Zobrist money in hindsight.

On 9/15/2016 at 11:04 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ouch. That one had to hurt. 

The Yankee games don't hurt that much this year since Comcast dropped YES Network they are never on.

That will change soon but it does suck not being able to watch them this year. Especially with all the kids doing well. Other than in Boston lol.

The Yankees will end up winning somewhere around 85 games this season. Pretty incredible considering the roster make over.

I have thought Cashman should go for a long time. Not only does he stay he might be the executive of the year for flipping the roster, and staying in a pennant race. Now granted they were always marginally in it, but these kids got some valuable experience.

Pretty exciting.

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

The Yankee games don't hurt that much this year since Comcast dropped YES Network they are never on.

That will change soon but it does suck not being able to watch them this year. Especially with all the kids doing well. Other than in Boston lol.

So glad I got Verizon. Where I live I wasn't getting the Jets (on a consistent basis) or the Yankees. Since I moved to a different part of town that offers Verizon, I get both. 

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

Had to be done.   Get the roster turned around.  The fact that they played this well since that happened has been a great surprise.

I totally agree.

They can always bring Chapman back as a free agent.

32 minutes ago, TheMagicRat said:

So glad I got Verizon. Where I live I wasn't getting the Jets (on a consistent basis) or the Yankees. Since I moved to a different part of town that offers Verizon, I get both. 

Yeah I almost switched from Comcast. Probably should have.

This wasn't a thing here but Gary Sanchez doing what he's doing is so satisfying for me. I took aloooooooooooot of sh*t for calling him a true elite prospect even when he was "just" a well above average hitter at young ages. He was the player I wanted for Samardzija during the 2014 TDL, the bandwagon had cleared out for noise stuff and things, ignoring things like age relative to league, position, performance, and his extremely high pedigree as a former elite IFA ranked right with Sano in 2009. The bandwagon started refilling during AFL 2015 where he was the best player in the league. I saw him in the AFL and dude was just on a different level from the other players. Personally, I think scouts knew he was a stud - everyone wanted to see him going in - and it was just internet dudes who were bored and ready to move onto the next shiny new toy prospects.

ANYWAY, the Yankees need a couple more like him in the lineup and they'll be back. Blake Rutherford seems up to the challenge, hopefully he makes good on those Jim Edmonds comps sooner rather than later. I think he has the talent to get to High A next year, set up for AA in 2018 with an outside shot of a ML debut later that season. 

Severino looks more legit lately too. I'd like to see them keep using him as a reliever even next season, using him similar to how the Twins used Johan Santana early on, and get his confidence all the way up before putting him back into the rotation.

6 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Offseason moves:

Sign Chapman

Sign Shohei Otani

Move Severino to the pen and have another nasty boys with Betances, Severino and Chapman.

I think you have to give Severino one more shot to start.   Starting pitching is so hard to find.

On 10/3/2016 at 9:21 AM, chirorob said:

End of the year, the Yankees won 84 games, not bad considering they had a fire sale. 

I really hope Girardi didn't break Betances, he looked done the last month.  I do not like how Joe runs his bullpen at all.

Such a strange year for Betances even expectation wise. I hope they are straight with him in the offseason and set realistic expectations for what they plan on doing with him next year.

On 9/21/2016 at 9:20 PM, SenorGato said:

This wasn't a thing here but Gary Sanchez doing what he's doing is so satisfying for me. I took aloooooooooooot of sh*t for calling him a true elite prospect even when he was "just" a well above average hitter at young ages. He was the player I wanted for Samardzija during the 2014 TDL, the bandwagon had cleared out for noise stuff and things, ignoring things like age relative to league, position, performance, and his extremely high pedigree as a former elite IFA ranked right with Sano in 2009. The bandwagon started refilling during AFL 2015 where he was the best player in the league. I saw him in the AFL and dude was just on a different level from the other players. Personally, I think scouts knew he was a stud - everyone wanted to see him going in - and it was just internet dudes who were bored and ready to move onto the next shiny new toy prospects.

ANYWAY, the Yankees need a couple more like him in the lineup and they'll be back. Blake Rutherford seems up to the challenge, hopefully he makes good on those Jim Edmonds comps sooner rather than later. I think he has the talent to get to High A next year, set up for AA in 2018 with an outside shot of a ML debut later that season. 

Severino looks more legit lately too. I'd like to see them keep using him as a reliever even next season, using him similar to how the Twins used Johan Santana early on, and get his confidence all the way up before putting him back into the rotation.

Girardi's comments on Severino are interesting. They are seriously going to consider keeping him in the bullpen. He does seem like a different pitcher out of the pen. He is young so I am really curious to see how they handle him.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Girardi's comments on Severino are interesting. They are seriously going to consider keeping him in the bullpen. He does seem like a different pitcher out of the pen. He is young so I am really curious to see how they handle him.

He is lights out there, but I still give him one more chance to start.   They need starting so bad, and it's really hard to find now.

• 2 weeks later...
On September 21, 2016 at 0:08 PM, chirorob said:

Had to be done.   Get the roster turned around.  The fact that they played this well since that happened has been a great surprise.

Chapman should have been traded but not Miller

That said its a correctable mistake just sign Chapman in the offseason

Archived