2016 Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How bout this bullsh*t from the Yanks again:

The Yankees have added a new ticket policy this season, which doesn't allow fans to use print-at-home paper tickets.

To be clear, the old school tickets most of us grew up with will still be accepted. It's the full-page paper tickets that are becoming increasingly more common at every ballpark (I actually can't remember the last time I used anything else when a spectator).

From the Yankees official site (as dug up by Deadspin):

Print-at-home paper tickets (PDFs) are being discontinued so as to further combat fraud and counterfeiting of tickets associated with print-at-home paper tickets (PDFs). In addition to traditional hard stock paper tickets, the Yankees will be offering the opportunity for fans to receive mobile tickets on a fan's Smartphone.

Mobile ticketing is a completely voluntary, opt-in feature. All season ticket licensees and group ticket buyers will automatically receive traditional hard stock paper tickets. For fans purchasing individual game tickets online at yankees.com, Ticketmaster.com, or via Ticketmaster telephone, you will have the option of receiving traditional hard stock paper tickets or mobile tickets at the time of initial purchase. Fans purchasing individual game tickets at the Yankee Stadium Ticket Office or at Yankees Clubhouse Shops will receive only traditional hard stock paper tickets (and will not have an option to receive mobile tickets or the option to convert their tickets to mobile tickets). Print-at-home paper tickets (PDFs) will no longer be available.

It is nice to add the mobile option for sure. As for the eliminating the print-at-home tickets, several blogs have pointed out that this seems aimed at StubHub sales. Though MLB has an affiliation with the online ticket reseller, the Yankees have been complaining about the StubHub effect on their bottom line since 2012 (New York Post).

The problem seems to be that StubHub doesn't place minimum prices on seats and the Yankees want a floor, which they use on yankees.com and throughout Ticketmaster.

So how does the print-at-home issue affect StubHub? It is generally the easiest and most common way fans exchange tickets through that medium.

It remains to be seen if this is actually a specific measure by the Yankees to undercut StubHub or if they're actually this concerned about ticket fraud.

I don't understand the big deal as far as getting in.  they scan the barcode on your phone instead of the sheet of paper.  where I think it does become an issue is if you go w/ a group of people and the tickets are on your phone.  what if your friend goes to the bathroom- how do they show the usher their ticket on the way back?

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I don't understand the big deal as far as getting in.  they scan the barcode on your phone instead of the sheet of paper.  where I think it does become an issue is if you go w/ a group of people and the tickets are on your phone.  what if your friend goes to the bathroom- how do they show the usher their ticket on the way back?

I believe it blocks people from purchasing tickets on the second market (Stub Hub) at a much reduced price. Yankees don't get any of that action, so while fraud is a problem, this is much more about sticking it to Stub Hub. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can scan Stub Hub tixs from your smart phone.

Hey Yankee COO Lonn Trost call your office you moron.

“The problem below market at a certain point is that if you buy a ticket in a very premium location and pay a substantial amount of money. It’s not that we don’t want that fan to sell it, but that fan is sitting there having paid a substantial amount of money for a ticket and [another] fan picks it up for a buck-and-a-half and sits there, and it’s frustrating to the purchaser of the full amount.”

Trost then added a comment that raised eyebrows on social media because of its seemingly elitist undertones. “And quite frankly,” he said, “the fan may be someone who has never sat in a premium location. So that’s a frustration to our existing fan base.”

GOOD FREAKING GRIEF.

Its bullsh*t because the Yankees are pissed the secondary market have been dictating the true value of their tickets. Now you're forced to use their Ticketmaster partnership...which doesnt allow tix to sell under face value. The Yankees are assholes.

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Can't speak for Yankee Stadium but a lot of places still give you a printed receipt after they scan in the phone at the gate, then ushers require those, not looking at the phone. Don't know if that's the norm now but that's how they do it at Citi, Dodgers Stadium, and Wrigley right now.

Also, with mobile tickets you can usually send your friend their ticket. If you have an iPhone it's pretty easy to do through Wallet. Taking a screenshot of it and just texting it to them works fine as well.

I went strictly mobile for everything a long time ago. Flights, games...etc. Big fan. Printing is for the birds and an unnecessary pain in the ass.

15 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Hey Yankee COO Lonn Trost call your office you moron.

GOOD FREAKING GRIEF.

Seriously.  What as A$$hole.   Who the frick is this guy? 

Remember, in the old stadium, how loud it was in the playoff games?  How the house rocked?   Here's a hint, those amazing fans didn't pay 1000 bucks a seat you jerk.

On 2/19/2016 at 8:58 PM, Matt39 said:

Its bullsh*t because the Yankees are pissed the secondary market have been dictating the true value of their tickets. Now you're forced to use their Ticketmaster partnership...which doesnt allow tix to sell under face value. The Yankees are assholes.

People seem pretty pissed.

Add in the Comcast \ YES drama and I might not be seeing a lot of Yankees games.

22 hours ago, Maxman said:

People seem pretty pissed.

Add in the Comcast \ YES drama and I might not be seeing a lot of Yankees games.

The stadium is going to be a ghost town this season.  Im not against the Yankees banning stubhub it's in their right but I think business wise it will backfire 

You need asses in the seats -- the money is in charging fans $10 for a rolling rock

So, I got tickets for when the Yanks come out to Texas in April.  Section 15, 2nd row off the field, right by the Yankees dugout.   Tickets were $86 each.  I looked up the same tickets at Yankee Stadium for the week before.   $475 a ticket.  

That is outright greed.  I'm sorry, I've been a fan for 30 years, literally.  But come on. 

Just for fun, I looked up tickets for Rangers vs. Astros.   1st row, right by Astros dugout.   About $50 on stubhub.  Yanks deserve to have an empty stadium.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

30 day suspension for Chapman. MLB always looking to convict innocent people. Sure this will be reduced.

He is about as innocent as OJ.

The 30 game suspension is a joke.  It is not that different, percentage wise, to the amount of games Goodell gave Rice.  As we all know he was crushed for this. 

Manfred should have gone at least 80 and then let him appeal it done.

11 hours ago, drdetroit said:

30 day suspension for a man who wasn't even charged with a crime.

Chapman isn't appealing because he doesn't want this dragged out anymore but the suspension is bs. 

The appeal process would have been handled before the start of the season. That is not dragging it out.

On March 2, 2016 at 0:36 AM, SenorGato said:

Either Chapman didn't hit that woman and he's getting punished for the fiasco of it all OR the MLB has a really weak domestic abuse policy. 

The arbitrary suspensions are getting old.  Arod gets almost a lifetime ban without ever even testing positive for juice.   Chapman doesn't even get a criminal charge and there goes 20% of your season.

9 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

The arbitrary suspensions are getting old.  Arod gets almost a lifetime ban without ever even testing positive for juice.   Chapman doesn't even get a criminal charge and there goes 20% of your season.

I definitely believe Chapman had to get suspended for being a loon, but I don't like that people like Dave Cameron are hailing this as a precedent for the league's domestic violence policy. It's pretty obvious he did not hit her or choke her, as multiple investigations have turned up nothing and the MLB came to a quick, short, and amiable agreement. It's another sh*t anti-labor precedent, if anything, and more of a PR move.

I still want the Cubs to pay up for Chapman in FA and maybe even start him.

20 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I think it came down to this.  He was getting suspended.  If it was over 50 games, he doesn't get to be a FA at the end of the year, and MLB has a fight on their hands. 

It's 30 days.   Yanks get him back by May, and Chapman just lets it go.  He gets to be a FA and get PAID at the end of the year, and if he has a good season, most GMs will have forgotten about his off the field stuff.

Archived