2016 Yankees Thread

Maxman

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

They needed a second baseman and girardi and cashman hate refsnyder

i think Castro is good for 15hrs 75rbi

I admittedly haven't paid close attention to the roster battles in camp, but doesn't he have a good chance to make the club? Haven't they giving him looks at 3B?

Andrew MarchandESPN Senior Writer
Close
  • Andrew Marchand is a senior writer for ESPNNewYork. He also regularly contributes to SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight, ESPNews, ESPN New York 98.7 FM and ESPN Radio. He joined ESPN in 2007 after nine years at the New York Post. Follow Andrew on Twitter »

Alex Rodriguez plans on retiring at the end of the 2017 season after playing out his contract with the New York Yankees, the designated hitter told ESPN on Wednesday.

"I won't play after next year," Rodriguez told ESPN on Wednesday. "I've really enjoyed my time. For me, it is time for me to go home and be dad."

It will end what has been a legendary and controversy-filled career for Rodriguez, who turns 41 on July 27. He is signed through next season, which is the final year of his 10-year, $275 million contract.

He enters 2016 with 687 home runs.

4 hours ago, faba said:
Andrew MarchandESPN Senior Writer
Close
  • Andrew Marchand is a senior writer for ESPNNewYork. He also regularly contributes to SportsCenter, Baseball Tonight, ESPNews, ESPN New York 98.7 FM and ESPN Radio. He joined ESPN in 2007 after nine years at the New York Post. Follow Andrew on Twitter »

Alex Rodriguez plans on retiring at the end of the 2017 season after playing out his contract with the New York Yankees, the designated hitter told ESPN on Wednesday.

"I won't play after next year," Rodriguez told ESPN on Wednesday. "I've really enjoyed my time. For me, it is time for me to go home and be dad."

It will end what has been a legendary and controversy-filled career for Rodriguez, who turns 41 on July 27. He is signed through next season, which is the final year of his 10-year, $275 million contract.

He enters 2016 with 687 home runs.

He might have caught Aaron had he not missed the year due to suspension. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

And that is why we should ignore his numbers.

But, do you really believe he would have hit MORE HRs without steroids? 

I don't know, assuming he wasn't using early in his career he was hitting them at a prolific pace.  it's something we will never know.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

You don't have to.  I am not a big ARod fan but the man belongs in the HOF as does Bonds, Clemens and others.

That stuff is so hard.   How many guys are getting in that used, but weren't caught?  Bonds was a HOF before he even started using.  I still say Tony Gwynn used, look at his #'s after age 32.  Pudge Rodriguez, so many of those guys. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You don't have to.  I am not a big ARod fan but the man belongs in the HOF as does Bonds, Clemens and others.

Piazza getting in should open up the flood gates for everyone else.

17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I don't know, we know those other guys did it.  Piazza was all just rumor though it's most likely true.

That's the rub.  A ton of guys were just rumors, that are probably true. 

I don't blame them.  For HOF, I'd really just look at, how dominant were they in their era compared to other players?  

On 3/24/2016 at 5:11 PM, nyjunc said:

I don't know, we know those other guys did it.  Piazza was all just rumor though it's most likely true.

I injected Mike myself.

Wait, what are we talking about again?

11 hours ago, adb280z said:

Jesus Montero was cut today.  Just goes to show you shouldn't judge a trade in the 1st year.  How many killled Cashman for that deal in the 1st year?

Me.  I did not like it.

I loved when the scout sent him ice cream.  So unprofessional yet awesome at the same time.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:45 AM, Scott Dierking said:

He might not have hit 500 HRs if he did not do steroids.

That's just a dumb statement.  Arod easily gets 500 hr's without juice he was the best player in mlb for years before steroids.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

How do you know when he started doing steroids?

Because he admitted to taking it starting in 2001 when he was with the Texas Rangers.  Arod hit 40 hrs 3 years in a row with Seattle prior to that plus 36 in his first full season

2010 called.  It isn't hip anymore to bash Arod for doing what most mlb players were doing for years including your boy Piazza

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Because he admitted to taking it starting in 2001 when he was with the Texas Rangers.  Arod hit 40 hrs 3 years in a row with Seattle prior to that plus 36 in his first full season

2010 called.  It isn't hip anymore to bash Arod for doing what most mlb players were doing for years including your boy Piazza

LOL. And we all know that Arod wouldn't lie, right.

Stop with your trolling silliness, as I hope this is an act. If it isn't that is sad, and I will leave the weak-minded rest.

12 hours ago, drdetroit said:

As far as the CC/Nova 5th starter thing goes I think Yankees should put CC in the rotation and have him pitch 4-5 innings than get either Bryan Mitchell or Nova to pitch 2-3 innings afterwards 

BYE BYE Andrew Miller

On March 31, 2016 at 4:43 PM, chirorob said:

Come June 1st, we will have the best bullpen in baseball.   April.... not so much.

That arbitrary bs suspension of Chapman is killing us now.  30 games 20% of the season after not even getting charged.  

YANKEES 2016 OPENING DAY ROSTER

# Pitchers (12 / 1 D.L.)
26 - RHP Johnny Barbato
68 - RHP Dellin Betances
85 - RHP Luis Cessa
30 - RHP Nathan Eovaldi
48 - LHP Andrew Miller
55 - RHP Bryan Mitchell - 15-day disabled list (toe)
47 - RHP Ivan Nova
35 - RHP Michael Pineda
52 - LHP CC Sabathia
40 - RHP Luis Severino
45 - LHP Chasen Shreve
19 - RHP Masahiro Tanaka
39 - RHP Kirby Yates

# Catchers (2)
34 - Brian McCann
27 - Austin Romine

# Infielders (6 / 1 D.L.)
29 - INF Dustin Ackley
33 - 1B Greg Bird - 15-day disabled list (labrum)
14 - 2B Starlin Castro
18 - SS Didi Gregorius
12 - 3B Chase Headley
25 - 1B Mark Teixeira
17 - INF Ronald Torreyes

# Outfielders (4 / 1 D.L.)
36 - RF Carlos Beltran
22 - CF Jacoby Ellsbury
11 - LF Brett Gardner
31 - OF Aaron Hicks
66 - OF Mason Williams - 60-day disabled list (labrum)

# Designated Hitter (1)
13 - Alex Rodriguez

# Restricted List (1)
54 - LHP Aroldis Chapman - 30-game suspension

# Managers & Coaches (8)
28 - Joe Girardi, Manager
62 - Alan Cockrell, Hitting Coach
53 - Joe Espada, Third Base Coach
60 - Mike Harkey, Bullpen Coach
56 - Tony Pena, First Base Coach
58 - Larry Rothschild, Pitching Coach
63 - Marcus Thames, Asst. Hitting Coach
59 - Rob Thomson, Bench Coach

Comedian John Oliver has a legendary deal for six Yankee fans that should really enrage the Bomber brass.

The snarky British host of the HBO show "Last Week Tonight" set his witty crosshairs on the Yankees and COO Lonn Trost Sunday night, calling the franchise elitist assholes and ripping Trost for comments he made on WFAN when the team had decided it would no longer accept printed tickets from StubHub. Trost said at the time that fans who have paid full price for premium seats in the Legends Club might not feel comfortable with "someone who has never sat in a premium location. So that's a frustration to our existing fanbase."

In response to Trost's comments, which earned the Yankee exec a Daily News backpage SNOBHUB, Oliver announced that his show had bought two Legends seats for the first three games of the season right behind homeplate and that they plan to sell them for just .25 a piece.

"On one condition," said Oliver. "You must dress like you have never sat in a premium location before."

"What that means is up to you."

In order to get the tickets, which typically sell for over a grand, Oliver asks that you tweet a photo to his show @lastweektonight with the hashtag #ihavenversatinapremiumlocation along with which game you'd like to attend.

Oliver says they have tickets for Monday's opener vs. the Astros, Wednesday night's tilt and Thursday's day game.

"We will pick the winner of the looks we like the best," said Oliver, before noting with a huge grin that "the Yankees are not involved in this contest in any way."

"Enjoy the game and please give A-Rod our best," he said, while fanning himself with what appeared to be all six tickets.

11 hours ago, adb280z said:

Comedian John Oliver has a legendary deal for six Yankee fans that should really enrage the Bomber brass.

The snarky British host of the HBO show "Last Week Tonight" set his witty crosshairs on the Yankees and COO Lonn Trost Sunday night, calling the franchise elitist assholes and ripping Trost for comments he made on WFAN when the team had decided it would no longer accept printed tickets from StubHub. Trost said at the time that fans who have paid full price for premium seats in the Legends Club might not feel comfortable with "someone who has never sat in a premium location. So that's a frustration to our existing fanbase."

In response to Trost's comments, which earned the Yankee exec a Daily News backpage SNOBHUB, Oliver announced that his show had bought two Legends seats for the first three games of the season right behind homeplate and that they plan to sell them for just .25 a piece.

"On one condition," said Oliver. "You must dress like you have never sat in a premium location before."

"What that means is up to you."

In order to get the tickets, which typically sell for over a grand, Oliver asks that you tweet a photo to his show @lastweektonight with the hashtag #ihavenversatinapremiumlocation along with which game you'd like to attend.

Oliver says they have tickets for Monday's opener vs. the Astros, Wednesday night's tilt and Thursday's day game.

"We will pick the winner of the looks we like the best," said Oliver, before noting with a huge grin that "the Yankees are not involved in this contest in any way."

"Enjoy the game and please give A-Rod our best," he said, while fanning himself with what appeared to be all six tickets.

That is great if it really happens.   I hope it does.

On 3/30/2016 at 8:44 PM, drdetroit said:

That's just a dumb statement.  Arod easily gets 500 hr's without juice he was the best player in mlb for years before steroids.

"I saw him as more of a defensive player then than an offensive player," said  Rich Hofman , then the coach at Westminster Christian in south Florida and now in the same position at nearby University School. "[When he was] a sophomore, I didn't see him as the alltime home run leader."

"In the summer before his junior year Rodriguez quickly filled out his frame, gaining roughly 25 pounds and tripling his bench press from about 100 to 300 pounds."

Arod has been on the sauce since he was in high school

Archived