Too many highly paid older players could impede Jets' progress

Gas2No99

Shoveled Building Roof & sidewalk from 12:30AM to 2AM here in the city - pure Soft Powder before it FROZE over, but there was NOTHING more gratifying than waking up this morning and having the ONLY sidewalk Clear and DRY as day while everyone else was hacking away the 2 feet of Frozen snow. Felt DAMN good to just sip coffee w/Baileys and walking my dog. Gorgeous day, AIR as fresh and pure to breath in just like after a Hurricane. Hope everyone else made it through the storm healthy and sound. What don't kill us, ONLY makes us Stronger. What else ya got Motha Nature?!?!

Thought this article was interesting as a Sunday morning read. Enjoy:

Too many highly paid older players could impede Jets' progress

Good morning, welcome to championship Sunday. Before you watch the games, here's a New York Jets mailbag for your reading pleasure:

Accepting questions for Jets' mailbag and Twitter Q & A. Send em to #jetsmail.

@RichCimini How is this team going to build for the future when they are paying too much for a bunch of old guys? #jetsmail

@RichCimini: Congratulations, Johnny. In 22 words, you captured the biggest question facing general manager Mike Maccagnan. He's being hailed as a genius for a strong first year -- voted Executive of the Year by the Pro Football Writers of America -- but the landscape has changed. We're about to find out how he operates without a boat load of cap space.

Consider this sobering reality: Six of the eight highest cap charges for 2016 belong to players who will be at least 31 next season. They are: Darrelle Revis($17 million), D'Brickashaw Ferguson ($14.1 million), Brandon Marshall ($9.5 million), Nick Mangold ($8.6 million), Antonio Cromartie ($8 million) and David Harris ($7.5 million).

Do the math. The total is $64.7 million. Those six players, based on their current contracts, will eat up 43 percent of the projected cap, give or take a few percentage points. The official salary cap amount still hasn't been announced.

The point is, the Jets' payroll is top heavy with older players. You have to figure Ryan Fitzpatrick, 33, will crash the party when he signs his new contract. They have to get younger without sacrificing wins, and that's one of the hardest things to do in sports. They raised the bar with a 10-win season, so no one wants to hear anything about rebuilding.

The Jets need two things to happen:

1. The young players already on the roster have to take giant leaps forward. I'm talking about Devin SmithLorenzo MauldinJace AmaroDee MillinerMarcus WilliamsDexter McDougleQuincy Enunwa and Brent Qvale, among others. This is where coaching comes in. Player development will be key for Todd Bowles and his staff.

2. Maccagnan needs a killer draft in April. He was hired because he's considered a college draft guru; well, start guru-ing. With only six picks, he should look to add picks through trades, but what options does he have? Muhammad Wilkerson? A tag-and-trade is very difficult to pull off. Besides, do you want to trade your best defensive player? Sheldon Richardson? Too much uncertainty with a looming suspension.

As you can see, Maccagnan has a quandary. The work doesn't get any easier for the Executive of the Year.

I took a look at Jason's page and Cro can be cut with a full $8MM savings so that seems automatic. I'm guessing Brick can and will be restructured, if not, they can still save over $10MM if cut. I really don't see that big of a problem. Although that David Harris re-signing/contract is weird. And I'm not sure what Fitzpatrick is going to be expecting. Would be great if Revis was capable of not being a total dick. 

Cutting Brick, and Cro is addition by subtraction if that money is used wisely to fill the open LT position, Cromartie doesn't leave a hole, Revis, Skrine, Williams plus hopefully McDougle, and Milliner become at least serviceable Cromartie won't be missed.

Brick on the other hand even with his declining skills is a guy you can pencil in to take every snap for 16 games so that is a tough decision to make.

Address the LB speed issue early in the draft, sign a RB.  Now other than that the offense will pretty much be the same outside of LT, and RB if you cut Brick, and don't sign Ivory, and if handled well could find better replacements for both.

I personally still think the Jets need a real QB, but I'm gonna leave that alone, and go on the pretense Fitz is our starter next year because that's what everyone wants to believe, and Cutting Cromartie pays for Fitz. 

its completely possible the team actually takes a step backwards next year. then again if we draft offense and bolster the offense and retain the amish bb gun then we could possible go to the play-offs

DId you see the schedule for next year? with fitzpatrick the jets can't do sh*t with, he has only beat 3 winning teams in his whole career, and everytime the jets faced a decent dfense he folded like a chair and started throwing picks like candy, jets aren't going anywhere with him at QB.

its completely possible the team actually takes a step backwards next year. then again if we draft offense and bolster the offense and retain the amish bb gun then we could possible go to the play-offs

What do you want to bolster?  RB, and OL?

Amaro, and D Smith are penciled in to be large contributers next season whether you like it, or not so I guess your calling for Elliot in the 1st round, and OL, OL, QB the next 3 picks, when this team has a mammoth sized weakness at Speed in the middle, and outside defense particularly at LB, and this is probably the strongest draft for speed at these positions in the first 2 rounds in a LONG time.  

Outside of Wentz falling to the Jets at 20 they better get a high motor speed LB who can cover TE's in man, have good zone instincts, and fire like a missile on the blitz, there is like 5-10 of these guys with that potential in the first 2 to 3 rounds it's Mikey Macs job to find out who the right ones are.

DId you see the schedule for next year? with fitzpatrick the jets can't do sh*t with, he has only beat 3 winning teams in his whole career, and everytime the jets faced a decent dfense he folded like a chair and started throwing picks like candy, jets aren't going anywhere with him at QB.

I suggest you get use the idea that Fitzpatrick is the QB next year. 

I agree, even thou I don't agree with it if you read my post above I've accepted it.

Kudos for staying realistic with Fitzpatrick, I'm sorta in the same boat and there's no point going there. He's the guy at least for another year, and at least he's been a guy you can root for and won't, most likely, single handedly kill the team. As long as Marshall and Decker can stay healthy and young enough for another season with maybe a few more weapons to surround him, I'm ok with Fitz.

Kudos for staying realistic with Fitzpatrick, I'm sorta in the same boat and there's no point going there. He's the guy at least for another year, and at least he's been a guy you can root for and won't, most likely, single handedly kill the team. As long as Marshall and Decker can stay healthy and young enough for another season with maybe a few more weapons to surround him, I'm ok with Fitz.

He had went from a guy a despised before the year as a player to a guy who you can't help, but to route for, but he can single handily kill you on occasion, more than the better QB'S in the league.

Also, cutting Gilchrist saves $5MM. add Cro and that's $13MM cutting just two players who performed, more or less, at JAG value for you in 15. Both good but replaceable, especially given Cro's age and Skrine + the depth of early picks behind him. 

I agree Cro has to go, but Skrine is the slot guy, and doesn't replace him.  Jets need Milliner to step up next season.  And cutting Cro basically pays for the cap number your gonna need to pay Fitz so that's 1 problem cap wise solved IMO.

I agree Cro has to go, but Skrine is the slot guy, and doesn't replace him.  Jets need Milliner to step up next season.  And cutting Cro basically pays for the cap number your gonna need to pay Fitz so that's 1 problem cap wise solved IMO.

I'll be upset if they have to pay Fitz $8MM but that's probably so. Skrine is making $7.5 next year...to be the slot guy? Maybe, but only with the embarrassment of riches they should have at CB, even without Cro. Whether it's Williams, Milliner, or McDougle. 

I'll be upset if they have to pay Fitz $8MM but that's probably so. Skrine is making $7.5 next year...to be the slot guy? Maybe, but only with the embarrassment of riches they should have at CB, even without Cro. Whether it's Williams, Milliner, or McDougle. 

With the amount of nickel D on the go these days, a good slot corner is pretty much a starter on your D.

Whether Skrine is good enough to merit $7.5m ... that's another discussion. But we're not able to do anything on that number, so he'll be there.

Personally I think they can lose Cro and see what they can get out of the other guys ... might be a step back overall but if they can improve at LB, it should offset that.

What do you want to bolster?  RB, and OL?

Amaro, and D Smith are penciled in to be large contributers next season whether you like it, or not so I guess your calling for Elliot in the 1st round, and OL, OL, QB the next 3 picks, when this team has a mammoth sized weakness at Speed in the middle, and outside defense particularly at LB, and this is probably the strongest draft for speed at these positions in the first 2 rounds in a LONG time.  

Outside of Wentz falling to the Jets at 20 they better get a high motor speed LB who can cover TE's in man, have good zone instincts, and fire like a missile on the blitz, there is like 5-10 of these guys with that potential in the first 2 to 3 rounds it's Mikey Macs job to find out who the right ones are.

rb, ol, te and wr. you want to draft early defense again? maybe a pass rushing lb'er but after that we need offense, offense and more offense. not saying it all has to be through the draft....but this offseason needs to be offensive oriented.  this is an offensive league now. the rules are built for offense and you guys still want to continue to draft defense after all we've been doing is drafting defense for the last 5 years. you need to score in this league. and you need to score alot. the odds you can ever put together a truly dominant defense anymore are not very good. there will never be a defense that hold opponents to 12 ppg anymore. now you are great if you can hold them under 20. 

some ideas:

sign ladarius green

sign danny trevathan

sign mohammed sanu

Of course we're going to take a step backwards next year, because we don't get to play a JV high school schedule. Then the brain trust around here will gang up with the beat writers to demand changes, which will cause Woody to freak out and demand that we make a bunch of trades. Then we'll fall short of the playoffs in 2017, fire everyone, and start over again. Go Jets!

Of course we're going to take a step backwards next year, because we don't get to play a JV high school schedule. Then the brain trust around here will gang up with the beat writers to demand changes, which will cause Woody to freak out and demand that we make a bunch of trades. Then we'll fall short of the playoffs in 2017, fire everyone, and start over again. Go Jets!

And that's your fault. Don't complain and we can achieve stability. Cincy likes it

Si, la musica de Pink Floyd. 

It's a good article. To be honest I might call the over 30s, probably keep Revis as I do believe he is a mentor to the DBs, and might extend Brandon for some extra space.

It is very likely the Jets take a big step back next year, which is OK if we build for the future, and start bringing in younger, faster players. Avoid the huge names, since some key 2nd contract FA types, trade Mo, and look to get as many draft picks as possible.

If the Jets give a big contract to Mo resign Fitz to anything other than slightly more than he makes this year, the Jets could really cripple their future. In fact, keeping both could actually lead to their firing if we are going to be realistic. 

We went for it this year, time to truly rebuild.

It's a good article. To be honest I might call the over 30s, probably keep Revis as I do believe he is a mentor to the DBs, and might extend Brandon for some extra space.

It is very likely the Jets take a big step back next year, which is OK if we build for the future, and start bringing in younger, faster players. Avoid the huge names, since some key 2nd contract FA types, trade Mo, and look to get as many draft picks as possible.

If the Jets give a big contract to Mo resign Fitz to anything other than slightly more than he makes this year, the Jets could really cripple their future. In fact, keeping both could actually lead to their firing if we are going to be realistic. 

We went for it this year, time to truly rebuild.

The only problem I have with the article is that he neglects to mention that the Jets can get out of some of those contracts, saving themselves money.

He's trying to push the agenda of "The Jets are doomed again." simple because Jets fans love to be miserable and they respond to it. 

Also, cutting Gilchrist saves $5MM. add Cro and that's $13MM cutting just two players who performed, more or less, at JAG value for you in 15. Both good but replaceable, especially given Cro's age and Skrine + the depth of early picks behind him. 

They aren't cutting the most consistent player in the secondary last season, even if it is to save 5 million dollars. Also, Skrine was bad, Milliner didn't play a single defensive snap this year and hasn't in years, McDougle is a slot guy as well. Marcus Williams was good in small spurts. Long term playing him, he'll get exposed. It already started last season. Cutting Cro has to happen, but the CB position is not as well off as everyone thinks. 

Easy article as usual from Cimini.  Out of those players there are only two who have declined,

Brick & Cro.  Everyone else is worth their salary.  We all know we need to draft a future LT this

year and Williams is more than ready to take over for Cro.  The sky ISN'T FALLING

yeah cut the guy who was the leader of the secondary, Gilchrist is the only stable one in the secondary who doesn't get burnt on every play, WIlliams isn't that good when playing full time, do you remember what happened in 14-15?

Archived