Tinstar's pre combine mock

Tinstar

1 - Titans - Laremy Tunsil - OT - If you think you have a Franchise QB the next thing you do is protect that asset. Marriota was injured twice in his rookie season.

2 - Browns - Carson Wentz - QB - No QB equals no chance, and this kid offers the best option in Cleveland having played his college ball in the Dakotas .

3 - Chargers - Ronnie Stanley - OT - Did the chargers have the same OL for more than 2 games last season. Rivers needs protection .

4 - Cowboys - Jared Goff - QB - The cowboys couldn't win a game once Romo got injured and he's not getting any younger .

5 - Jags - Jalen Ramsey - CB - This team can score, but losing games because they can't stop anyone has got to stop.

6 - Ravens - Joey Bosa - DE - Time to start rebuilding the feared Raven defense . T sizzle ain't getting any younger . 

7 - 49ers - Paxton Lynch - QB - What better QB to run the offense this HC wants to run .

8 - Dolphins - Robert Nkemdiche  - DE - Suh needs help and this kid will bring just that

9 - Bucs - Vernon Hargraves - CB - The offense can score, but the back end of the defense can't stop anyone from scoring

10 - Jints - Zeke Elliot - RB - If this front office doesn't get a blue chipper who can help Eli, change will happen again . Elliot offers something the Jints don't have presently .

And now for the rest.

Good job Tin

Carson Wentz at 2?   Yeah the way he's coming up boards if he has an impact Senior Bowl week, could happen I guess.  if he has a Meh Senior Bowl, it's back to the mid 30's for him.  Kid has a lot riding this week..

Love Jaylon Smith for the Jets at 20.  He and Wentz  IMO will be the real mystery men of the draft.   Think it will be hard for him to fall to 20, but blowing out both an MCL and ACL right before the New Year will also make it hard for a GM to pull the trigger on him.

IF, he can return 100% from his significant injury, He will be just what the doctor ordered for the Jets.   3 down LB'er who brings a lot of speed, excellent coverage, and can be brought out to the edge to bring an excellent pass rush.  OC's will have to game plan for him, but they won't know where he's going to line up.

Big problem is he might not take a snap in 2016.  Fan base will go crazy 

Buckner is going in the top 5 when its all said and done. He's basically another Calais Campbell...I MIGHT even think he's better than Bosa.

My guess is Jenkins from Georgie is better than Floyd from Georgia. Start with Jenkins being younger and a class up, throw that he's heavier with one of the biggest wingspans at the senior bowl...

Where do you think Spence goes?? Early 2nd? No way he makes it to the Jets @ 51

Spence came into Senior Bowl week as an early to mid second.    He has certainly raised his stock by dominating  every LT he's faced so far this week.

One of the match ups I'll be excited to see today will be Spence against Jason Spriggs, who has also had a real nice week.  That may ultimately determine how the Senior Bowl has affected both of them 

So happy to have a GM/Scout who can look past the "Glossy" stats (40 times, Bench Reps etc) and draft football players.

For example, I wanted Eli Harold in the 3rd and MacDaddy was able to get an extra pick (5th= Jarvis Harrison) and get a player who outpayed Harold.

I look forward to seeing how he plays his cards this yr.

I wish that 5th was used on the OT Dallas signed as a UDFA. Can't comprehend that one.

I would be just find with Jaylon Smith.  Agreed with flgreen about the fans having a melt down but getting a top 5 talent at 20 is at times worth the risk.  Gronk lasted till the 2nd round inpart due to injury issues.

Ugh... I wish I had the time to get into this with you; Mr. Gurley isn't your used chewing gum because he was injured. 

but whatevs. Glad to see you coming around. 

So happy to have a GM/Scout who can look past the "Glossy" stats (40 times, Bench Reps etc) and draft football players.

For example, I wanted Eli Harold in the 3rd and MacDaddy was able to get an extra pick (5th= Jarvis Harrison) and get a player who outpayed Harold.

I look forward to seeing how he plays his cards this yr.

I wish that 5th was used on the OT Dallas signed as a UDFA. Can't comprehend that one.

Agree.  Another example of that is I read that all teams had scouts at the Shrine game, but only 3 GM's were there. Most of them were getting ready for the week long grind of the Senior Bowl.  Macc was one of the 3 GM's who were there.  Last day of practice, off to the Senior Bowl.  Won't be stunned if one of the Jets picks played in the Shrine game

Hard to determine where Spence will go because of his off the field resume.  I don't know if any GM would be brazen enough to give him 1st round money knowing his situation while at OSU. There's no question about his talent. the question is who's got the "sand" to make the call.

I think he's going 2nd day , but early.  I would look at trading that 20th pick to the Titans for that 32 pick and whatever else I can steal from them and take either Spence or Spriggs at pick 32 .

Hard to determine where Spence will go because of his off the field resume.  I don't know if any GM would be brazen enough to give him 1st round money knowing his situation while at OSU. There's no question about his talent. the question is who's got the "sand" to make the call.

I think he's going 2nd day , but early.  I would look at trading that 20th pick to the Titans for that 32 pick and whatever else I can steal from them and take either Spence or Spriggs at pick 32 .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well he had quite a day at todays Senior Bowl. If he kills it at the combine I think plenty of people will have the "Stones" to pull the trigger.

Hopefully that will push Jaylon Smith to us.

Agree on some one having the stones to pull the trigger..

Not only did Spence have a great game today he was dominating OT's all week which is what the scouts and GM's care about.  Most of the GM's don't even stay for the game.

IMO he is definitely in the first round right now.  If that helps Jaylon Smith fall to the Jets Great.  If Spence is there, great to.  I'd take the chance and  make the pick.  An edge rusher on this defense is worth the risk,  as we know they are very hard to come by.

Talent is great, but talent that can't stay on the field is useless. Just go ask the Niners about their talented but trouble DE. Go ask the Saints about their talented but trouble DE.    I like Spence, but I won't give him that contract  . 

Talent is great, but talent that can't stay on the field is useless. Just go ask the Niners about their talented but trouble DE. Go ask the Saints about their talented but trouble DE.    I like Spence, but I won't give him that contract  . 

Those contracts are a LOT easier to swallow now than prior to the rookie wage scale. At pick #20 in 2015 here's what Aghalor got

4 years, $9.377M; $5.1M signing bonus.

It's a risk.... but it's not a killer if it doesn't work out 

When you take the risk of maybe throwing away 10 mil in cap space, you find it difficult to pay guys like Damon Harrison the money they deserve because of those mistakes. It's the totality of the thing that creates the issues, not the singularity.  Love the player, but he's got to earn that contract before I take that risk .

When you take the risk of maybe throwing away 10 mil in cap space, you find it difficult to pay guys like Damon Harrison the money they deserve because of those mistakes. It's the totality of the thing that creates the issues, not the singularity.  Love the player, but he's got to earn that contract before I take that risk .

Tin, I see the risk not in money, but in the very real chance the guy will be in/out of the league, and never help the team.. Think Justin Blackman here. On another note, you see any way Jets take that Martin kid from ND at #20? People thought Cowboys nuts 2 years ago when they drafted Travis Frederick right around same spot.O-line is somewhere we need real help. Love your thoughts on this.

Tin, I see the risk not in money, but in the very real chance the guy will be in/out of the league, and never help the team.. Think Justin Blackman here. On another note, you see any way Jets take that Martin kid from ND at #20? People thought Cowboys nuts 2 years ago when they drafted Travis Frederick right around same spot.O-line is somewhere we need real help. Love your thoughts on this.

No chance I think they take any position other than QB, OLB or OT  .  I like this prospect, but I think he's a 2nd round pick . Mid to late 2nd rounder.  There are way too many DLmen with 1st round grades who might not get pick in the 1st round.   Keep an eye on Eli Apple, because if he runs well at the combines, he's in play. Kid reminds me of Revis coming out of Pit. Even has the same questions about his long speed.  

This GM is going to take the BPA regardless of what fans think.

Respectfully, Harrison will be much more expensive than Pick #20

Again, I love Harrison, but MacC took Simon for a reason.... maybe as a bet against injury or as a backup plan if Snacks walks.

I'm sure they'll try and sign him but there are a lot of teams with $40 mil mor dollars than the Jets.

That young man is going to get paid more than the Jets can offer.... unfortunately(unless you tag him and let Mo walk). 

No chance I think they take any position other than QB, OLB or OT  .  I like this prospect, but I think he's a 2nd round pick . Mid to late 2nd rounder.  There are way too many DLmen with 1st round grades who might not get pick in the 1st round.   Keep an eye on Eli Apple, because if he runs well at the combines, he's in play. Kid reminds me of Revis coming out of Pit. Even has the same questions about his long speed.  

This GM is going to take the BPA regardless of what fans think.

Tnx. I agree Mac will take BPA. Who really helped/hurt themselves this week? Is this draft considered a good, deep one?  

I rewatched wentz, nothing special at all, whichever team drafts him thinking he is Franchise stuff will be greatly disappointed

You are wrong  and I mean that in as nice a way as possible. I didn't think much of this kid when I 1st herd about him , but I took the time to watch his game tapes.  What I saw was a bigger stronger sturdier Chad Pennington with better arm strength and athleticism . His play action fakes are special, and his ability to deliver the ball in tight windows while on the move is equally as special .

The problem we have is we expect these players to come into the league and take the league by storm right away .  These kids need to learn the NFL, the coaches of the NFL and spend time in an NFL conditioning program .  If this kid is allowed to sit like Chad was, the Browns are going to have a special QB.  Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move forward.

You are wrong  and I mean that in as nice a way as possible. I didn't think much of this kid when I 1st herd about him , but I took the time to watch his game tapes.  What I saw was a bigger stronger sturdier Chad Pennington with better arm strength and athleticism . His play action fakes are special, and his ability to deliver the ball in tight windows while on the move is equally as special .

The problem we have is we expect these players to come into the league and take the league by storm right away .  These kids need to learn the NFL, the coaches of the NFL and spend time in an NFL conditioning program .  If this kid is allowed to sit like Chad was, the Browns are going to have a special QB.  Sometimes you have to take a step back before you can move forward.

I think it's deep along the Defensive Line, at RB and at CB . I think you can find a quality WR all the way to round 5.   TEs are non existent  and the OL is weak and top heavy .  It's going to be interesting this off season and draft weekend.  It's going to either put Mac on a next level or show us that were still "In Search Of" .   I hope the Man is up for the challenge. 

Ummm  the Browns if they take wentz will play him, it is not like Hue has along time to stay in Cleve, I stand by my opinion that he is nothing special.

Here is where you are wrong

1) NDSU was going to win the FCS with a backup QB,  this team is much better than the next best team. 

2) The FCS is a good league, but most of the players are 1 to 2 star athletes, the passing windows are much tighter with the big boys, let alone the NFL. This Kid is not even close to a Flacco in ability, Flacco went to Pitt  (3 star recruit) and transfered to Delaware for playing time.

Time will tell, the team who selects the GM who takes this kid will be canned in 3 yrs

1) NDSU was going to win the FCS with a backup QB,  this team is much better than the next best team. 

2) The FCS is a good league, but most of the players are 1 to 2 star athletes, the passing windows are much tighter with the big boys, let alone the NFL. This Kid is not even close to a Flacco in ability, Flacco went to Pitt  (3 star recruit) and transfered to Delaware for playing time.

Time will tell, the team who selects the GM who takes this kid will be canned in 3 yrs

Just go watch the Game against Iowa State and against Kansas  .  The kid has the tools of a franchise QB. He's a football coach's wet dream .

P.S :  what did you think of his play in the senior Bowl ?

Just go watch the Game against Iowa State and against Kansas  .  The kid has the tools of a franchise QB. He's a football coach's wet dream .

P.S :  what did you think of his play in the senior Bowl ?

Wentz did nothing in the Senior Bowl imo, i didnt see any practices though.

I have two problems with you/your post.

1) You going beyond saying Wentz needs way more polish or his flaws are being masked, and instead saying he's actually a bad QB... The whole NFL paid and made scouting community loves his upside and potential. You and your crystal ball who didn't even watch him practice - seem fit to denounce that notion fundamentally even going as far as saying the GM who drafts him will be fired. That's asking a lot for being avatarless contrarian. Even for you.

2) The sum of your contributions to the draft forum i've seen, is to periodically check into threads to disagree with people. Usually in a "as a matter fact, you're an idiot" kind of tone... You don't start threads, rarely offer up insight beyond why someone's wrong, and i can't recall you talking about anyone that's not a SEC calendar boy. 

For someone who apparently has a much richer understanding of NFL prospective talent, I'd expect your posts to offer a little more than the B.S. you drop routinely - and occasionally it might be nice if you brought something new the table we can dig into you about.   

I have two problems with you/your post.

1) You going beyond saying Wentz needs way more polish or his flaws are being masked, and instead saying he's actually a bad QB... The whole NFL paid and made scouting community loves his upside and potential. You and your crystal ball who didn't even watch him practice - seem fit to denounce that notion fundamentally even going as far as saying the GM who drafts him will be fired. That's asking a lot for being avatarless contrarian. Even for you.

2) The sum of your contributions to the draft forum i've seen, is to periodically check into threads to disagree with people. Usually in a "as a matter fact, you're an idiot" kind of tone... You don't start threads, rarely offer up insight beyond why someone's wrong, and i can't recall you talking about anyone that's not a SEC calendar boy. 

For someone who apparently has a much richer understanding of NFL prospective talent, I'd expect your posts to offer a little more than the B.S. you drop routinely - and occasionally it might be nice if you brought something new the table we can dig into you about.   

Dude it is just my opinion from game tape of senior bowl, I follow FCS as my daughter went to Richmond, Spiders had a good team and NDSU destroyed them without Wentz. Most of Richmond's players are 1 to 2 star athletes. To say Wentz will be a good NFL QB is a longshot imo. He is not nearly as good as Flacco and I didnt tell Tinstar he was an idiot for liking him. It is my opinion wentz is a 3rd rounder at best.  Teams will overdraft a QB from desperation ala Manziel ala Manuel.  Goff is another QB who shouldnt be drafted high. 

Wentz did nothing in the Senior Bowl imo, i didnt see any practices though.

Watch the game again, and pay closer attention to who he threw the ball too and where the ball was placed .  It might help you come to a different conclusion.  The kid is a Coach's wet dream .   

Archived