When the Patriot Dynasty Ends...

nj meadowlands

Nothing lasts forever, as we know. For all the talk about how ancient Peyton Manning is, Tom Brady will be 39 at the start of next season. Sure, he says he's going to play well into his 40's, but I'm sure getting pulverized by the Broncos D-Line gives him pause.

So, what will it be like when their dynasty ends?

Will the AFC see more than the same 3-4 teams go to the Super Bowl every single year?

Will the empty bench look of Foxboro Stadium return to Patsy land?

Will this message board be far less populated with Patsy slime? (or will they double down?)

I'm giddy at the thought, and hopeful that with the Jets seemingly ascending, it could finally finally finally finally finally be in sight.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, ***Dynasty***.  Either way, HGH will keep Brady around for a while, unfortunately.  At least another 3-4 years, me thinks.  The good thing is, Big Ben will be around 37 at that point and with his injury history, will probably be set to retire.  So basically, the AFC will be Luck and Bortles possibly Carr sprinkled with some Mr. On and Off Flacco who will be 35.

Plenty of time for the Jets to find a QB.  I laughed out loud as I typed that.  Haha Jets find a QB.  It's funny.

First off, ***Dynasty***.  Either way, HGH will keep Brady around for a while, unfortunately.  At least another 3-4 years, me thinks.  The good thing is, Big Ben will be around 37 at that point and with his injury history, will probably be set to retire.  So basically, the AFC will be Luck and Bortles possibly Carr sprinkled with some Mr. On and Off Flacco who will be 35.

Plenty of time for the Jets to find a QB.  I laughed out loud as I typed that.  Haha Jets find a QB.  It's funny.

idk. its certainly possible. of course all it takes is an achilles injury, acl, mcl, etc etc to sideline him....and the older you get the more likely it is for these things to happen and the less likely you are to heal and recover from any of the stresses that a game like this puts on your body. i give him 2 years tops

The misconception is that its all brady.  Bellichek is the guy who runs the ship.  They will replace brady and roll along just fine.  They did it for 1 season with an absolute scrub in cassel.

I wouldnt be expecting the dynasty to fall anytime soon.  Bellichek will coach for another 10 years. 

The misconception is that its all brady.  Bellichek is the guy who runs the ship.  They will replace brady and roll along just fine.  They did it for 1 season with an absolute scrub in cassel.

I wouldnt be expecting the dynasty to fall anytime soon.  Bellichek will coach for another 10 years. 

What was BB's record before Brady? 

what was his record w/ cassel?  

Who cares what he did b4 brady.  He has become the best coach in nfl history.  

good enough to miss the playoffs a year after going undefeated w/ Brady and against a much weaker schedule.

he has become a top coach mainly b/c of Brady, if not for Brady he'd be a DC somewhere today.

The team with Cassel was stacked at every position.  Complete aberration.

Once Brady hangs up his strap-on, the Pats will be nothing more than an average team at best.

That Defense is good but who knows how it will be post Brady retirement. Being good while great for the team costs them high draft picks annually so they cannot build a base as well as other teams. Granted they were fortunate with Gronk, Collins, Jones and Hightower and somehow stole Butler from somewhere but their receivers are average at best, O Line is putrid and they don't have any playmakers at RB. So while good the team is far from great. Pitt will be good for a while with Brown/Wheaton/Bryant/L .Bell as the focal point of the offense with Roethlisberger. They have a better foundation on O than NE. Same with Carolina with Cam, Olsen, Funchess and a returning Kelvin Benjamin. NE dominance is over. DONE! But Carolina is one elite RB away from being the next dominant force. 

good enough to miss the playoffs a year after going undefeated w/ Brady and against a much weaker schedule.

he has become a top coach mainly b/c of Brady, if not for Brady he'd be a DC somewhere today.

I totally disagree with this.  Look having Brady obviously matters greatly, but Belichek is one of the few, if not only coach that knows both Defense and Offense at an extremely high level.  The guy has made some gutsy gambles that failed (ie giving the ball to the Jets in OT), but for each failed gutsy call he's had a ton that worked that no one hears about.  He's one of the greatest schemers on both sides of the ball and generally gets a lot ore out of his player than the talent suggests.  The guy is a great coach. 

It's not ALL Brady, BB has developed into a great HC but never gets that chances w/o Brady saving him.  Brady is 70% of the reason they became a dynasty.

BB without Brady(7+ seasons):

51-62, 45%

Playoff apps: 1

Playoff wins: 1

Playoff record: 1-1

div rd wins: ZERO

title game apps: ZERO

SB apps: ZERO

1st place finishes: ZERO

BB with Brady(14 seasons):

172-51, 77%

Playoff apps: 13

Playoff wins: 22

Playoff record: 22-9

div rd wins: 10

title game apps: 10

SB apps: 6

SB wins: 4

1st place finishes: 13

NE was getting worse every year since 1996:

1996: 11 wins

1997: 10 wins

1998: 9 wins

1999: 8 wins

2000: 5 wins

2001: started 0-2 then magically they go 11-3 w/ Brady en route to the SB.

It's interesting to think that in 2-3 years the dominant passing games in the AFC might all be gone. That has interesting implications for the conference not just for the AFCE.

If NE keeps putting together an OL like they have been and keep failing to draft halfway decent QBs then their time in the spotlight may come to an end much quicker. The risk isn't just that a bad hit puts Brady down but that Brady loses his focus when he takes a beating and starts underperforming.

what was his record w/ cassel?  

Who cares what he did b4 brady.  He has become the best coach in nfl history.  

Todd Haley won 10 games with Cassell too.  With a much less potent offense. 

Brady made BB.  BB will retire when Brady does because he knows this as fact. 

Nothing lasts forever, as we know. For all the talk about how ancient Peyton Manning is, Tom Brady will be 39 at the start of next season. Sure, he says he's going to play well into his 40's, but I'm sure getting pulverized by the Broncos D-Line gives him pause.

So, what will it be like when their dynasty ends?

Will the AFC see more than the same 3-4 teams go to the Super Bowl every single year?

Will the empty bench look of Foxboro Stadium return to Patsy land?

Will this message board be far less populated with Patsy slime? (or will they double down?)

I'm giddy at the thought, and hopeful that with the Jets seemingly ascending, it could finally finally finally finally finally be in sight.

While he probably does not want to get 'pulverized' again, he is not going to earn 8+ million a year after he retires.  He will ride it along as he can.

It will be the same 3-4 teams every year.  That is the nature of the game.  Outside of Brady, who is set-up at QB?  Ravens, Colts, Steelers and Bengals are set.  The Jags, Raiders and to a lesser extent Bills and Titans are trending in the right direction, but can you say they will knock one of the top 4 out?  No.

Don't worry, I will be here.  :)

While he probably does not want to get 'pulverized' again, he is not going to earn 8+ million a year after he retires.  He will ride it along as he can.

It will be the same 3-4 teams every year.  That is the nature of the game.  Outside of Brady, who is set-up at QB?  Ravens, Colts, Steelers and Bengals are set.  The Jags, Raiders and to a lesser extent Bills and Titans are trending in the right direction, but can you say they will knock one of the top 4 out?  No.

Don't worry, I will be here.  :)

i'd say the packers are pretty set at qb with aaron rodgers and the panthers are looking pretty good with cam newton. the seahawks with wilson are in a good place too

who else? the chargers have rivers, the giants with eli, 

i'd say the packers are pretty set at qb with aaron rodgers and the panthers are looking pretty good with cam newton. the seahawks with wilson are in a good place too

who else? the chargers have rivers, the giants with eli, 

I did not even think about the NFC, but you are right.  I would add on the next tier down, Winston, Ryan and Stafford.

Anyone over 30 I did not include...even though they could go for another decade.

I did not even think about the NFC, but you are right.  I would add on the next tier down, Winston, Ryan and Stafford.

Anyone over 30 I did not include...even though they could go for another decade.

?? but you are includng the patriots as being "set up at qb" when brady is 39??

?? but you are includng the patriots as being "set up at qb" when brady is 39??

No.

He will play as long as he plays.  Short of a major injury, like with Peyton, he is not regressing yet.  How long that lasts is another matter.

No.

He will play as long as he plays.  Short of a major injury, like with Peyton, he is not regressing yet.  How long that lasts is another matter.

how long does he really have? there haven't been many quarterbacks who did anything good at 40 years old. look at the list of the top 5....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/440084-favre-from-young-the-top-five-40-year-old-qbs-in-nfl-history

how long does he really have? there haven't been many quarterbacks who did anything good at 40 years old. look at the list of the top 5....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/440084-favre-from-young-the-top-five-40-year-old-qbs-in-nfl-history

Brady can stick around a while.  His game is based almost entirely on short high percentage passes and lobbing it downfield to Gronkowski.  He won't be playing the Denver D each week, he can pretty much stay upright and throw slants to WRs and flares to RBs for a few more years at least.  If Gronk gets hurt again though, I think you'll see a complete absence of anything downfield.

Brady can stick around a while.  His game is based almost entirely on short high percentage passes and lobbing it downfield to Gronkowski.  He won't be playing the Denver D each week, he can pretty much stay upright and throw slants to WRs and flares to RBs for a few more years at least.  If Gronk gets hurt again though, I think you'll see a complete absence of anything downfield.

i give him 1-2 years more maximum. anything past that and he will be embarrassing himself 

NO WAY. They will revert back to the mean.  A good QB is all the difference.  I agree that BB would have been a better coach for the JETS than herm, REX, et al BUT he has benefited from Brady.

You might want to check on that regarding the "drafting incredibly well" part

Gronk, Collins, Jones, Butler, Edelman, Solder, Vollmer, Gostokowski, Slater, McCourty, Chung, Ryan, Stork, Ridley, Vereen and Hightower. Note that they draft late in just about every draft. Other than Gronk they have been poor at drafting skilled position players aka playmakers but in terms of other positions they have been strong. 

Archived