Bryce Petty ~ ~ ~

kelly

Heading into the offseason, Jets fans have seen what Ryan Fitzpatrick and Geno Smith, the first two quarterbacks on the Green & White depth chart, can do. But they still may not be sure what they've got in now-second-year man Bryce Petty.

General manager Mike Maccagnan said the team's coaches and personnel people are very optimistic about what Petty can bring to the table for 2016 and beyond."We're really excited about working with Bryce this offseason," Maccagnan told Jets season ticket holders recently on a special conference call, "and this is going to be a very, very important offseason for him in his development. I think he’s the type of kid who’s going to hopefully fulfill and achieve that. And we’ll get a better feel for where he’s at in the preseason next year and we’ll kind of measure that compared to where he was as a rookie to see how far he’s come along."

Here are four points Maccagnan touched on in giving a progress report for where Petty is as he heads into his second season as a Jets and NFL signalcaller, along with a comment from QBs coach Kevin Patullo about the biggest part of Petty's adjustment from Baylor to the Jets :

1. Arm Strength

Maccagnan: "Bryce is a good athlete for his size, he’s got obviously very good size and stature. He has probably one of the strongest arms of all our quarterbacks in terms of his ability to throw the ball and physically make throws that other quarterbacks can’t make."

2. Intangibles

Maccagnan: "I think from an intangible standpoint, he is what we thought he was when we drafted him. He’s got a very good personality, he’s a very hard-working young man, he’s a very smart young man. He really, I think, has the work ethic and the commitment to hopefully fulfill some of his physical potential."

3. Adjustment from College to the Pros

Maccagnan: "We feel he’s progressed very well from where he was and the system he played in in college. A lot of people understood when we drafted him that there was going to be a bit of an adjustment to the NFL, an NFL system. But it's just the simple fact that he’s out there practicing, in the classroom, understanding things more from a system and decision-making standpoint."

Patullo: "Defensively, that's where there's a big game, between college and pro defenses. There's so much no-huddle, tempo and pressure on the defense. In college they just kind of have to line up and play, where at this level, even if you do any of that kind of stuff, the defensive players are so much more athletic and use so much more complex schemes. That’s where the big gap is, it’s just seeing everything and learning."

4. Prognosis for Year 2

Maccagnan: "We feel ability-wise, he can definitely be a quality No. 2 backup and the rest is kind of up to him. He has the physical ability to potentially be a starting-caliber quarterback, but he still has to go out there and do it on the field in preseason and kind of see where he’s at. But we're very excited about working with him and we do feel he has a bright future."

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Mike-Maccagnan-on-Bryce-Pettys-Progress/c1f84b9b-8af9-410b-b5a8-06128eca2d54

Whether Petty turns out to be any great shakes or not it was another great move by Mac to get him.  Got wind that another team was going to trade up with jacksonville to get petty so he flopped 4th rounders one pick apart and gave them a 7th rounder to get the QB.

"He probably has one of the strongest arms of all our QBs."

Quite the empty compliment there, since there are only 2 others and one of them is Fitzpatrick. 

The rest of Maccagnan's "#2 QB" comment doesn't sound as bad as 2 weeks ago. Now it sounds more like he could be the #2 QB next year but if he wants to be more than that he has more work to put in or has to put it together a lot more.

We'll see.

I love this kid. I don't know if he's a number 1 in the future but he has everything you want in a QB. He's a leader that oozes character. He's a more athletic version of Fitz with higher potential if he can put it together. I'm excited to see him this training camp/preseason.

"He probably has one of the strongest arms of all our QBs."

Quite the empty compliment there, since there are only 2 others and one of them is Fitzpatrick. 

The rest of Maccagnan's "#2 QB" comment doesn't sound as bad as 2 weeks ago. Now it sounds more like he could be the #2 QB next year but if he wants to be more than that he has more work to put in or has to put it together a lot more.

We'll see.

I took it to mean that he has the physicals.  The jury is still out on the menials and the emotionals.  Working harder will not get him a stronger arm.  They must think him capable of learning a pro style to even make the No. 2 comment. How he will perform under pressure?  That is what makes the difference between 1 and 2.  That, and consistency.  They cannot know that until he faces a real defense---in a game.  

I took it to mean that he has the physicals.  The jury is still out on the menials and the emotionals.  Working harder will not get him a stronger arm.  They must think him capable of learning a pro style to even make the No. 2 comment. How he will perform under pressure?  That is what makes the difference between 1 and 2.  That, and consistency.  They cannot know that until he faces a real defense---in a game.  

I'm not worried about his arm strength and I don't think anyone is, even if someone hated the pick. You could be right but I don't see that in his comments. When a coach says of a player (or to him in practices) that he can't just trot out there without adequate preparation and knowing what you're doing it may suggest Petty is behaving/acting as though he could. That #1 that he doesn't know what he's doing (yet) and #2 that he may not have been doing all he could to get there. It's just an odd comment for a coach to say to a reporter. It may be nothing (and hope it is), but when paired with prior team/coach comments that suggested he's nowhere near ready, it doesn't paint a rosy scenario.

Whatever his rookie season was like, and however his coaches (and GM) perceived his development, hopefully he makes everyone eat their words starting this spring.

I'm not worried about his arm strength and I don't think anyone is, even if someone hated the pick. You could be right but I don't see that in his comments. When a coach says of a player (or to him in practices) that he can't just trot out there without adequate preparation and knowing what you're doing it may suggest Petty is behaving/acting as though he could. That #1 that he doesn't know what he's doing (yet) and #2 that he may not have been doing all he could to get there. It's just an odd comment for a coach to say to a reporter. It may be nothing (and hope it is), but when paired with prior team/coach comments that suggested he's nowhere near ready, it doesn't paint a rosy scenario.

Whatever his rookie season was like, and however his coaches (and GM) perceived his development, hopefully he makes everyone eat their words starting this spring.

If they keep Geno he will spend another season in study hall.  I think a lot of people figured him for two years of study before they threw him into the pit with the other dogs. If they cut Geno that is another story. But they could still sign another experienced backup. I am not sure what Macc was saying.  All I got from it was that they think he might be able to make the throws.

If they keep Geno he will spend another season in study hall.  I think a lot of people figured him for two years of study before they threw him into the pit with the other dogs. If they cut Geno that is another story. But they could still sign another experienced backup. I am not sure what Macc was saying.  All I got from it was that they think he might be able to make the throws.

Yeah, it was something like:

"He might be really good.  Or he might not.  Definitely one of those, though"

If they keep Geno what it means depends upon what they do in FA or in the draft. Well maybe not FA, since presumably a veteran via trade or FA would take Geno's (or Fitzpatrick's) place. But if they draft another QB and keep Geno (and Fitzpatrick), it doesn't bode well for Petty's future. Or (most likely) it just means it's a battle between Geno and Petty that will last all summer long.

If they keep Geno what it means depends upon what they do in FA or in the draft. Well maybe not FA, since presumably a veteran via trade or FA would take Geno's (or Fitzpatrick's) place. But if they draft another QB and keep Geno (and Fitzpatrick), it doesn't bode well for Petty's future. Or (most likely) it just means it's a battle between Geno and Petty that will last all summer long.

If they draft a Qb Geno will be gone so fast it will give you whiplash.

Keep developing him, and keep Drafting Qb's until we hit.

Rinse and repeat.

Hoping he will be solid, but can't risk it alone. 

This is a league built on QB play, and we just need to keep adding QB talent year after year until we got something to build around.

I don't think the Jets are drafting a QB on day 1 or 2. Too many other holes. Every year there's a batch of QB's. For 2016 Jets will have Fitz, Petty and Geno if need be. That's more than enough. Where would Petty rank among the QB's coming out this year if he was in the draft? Are these guys current guys that much better? Just Develop Petty.

He wears my favorite number.

We also have the same birthday, along with Enunwa, Douzable and....JOE NAMATH! Kinda weird that 3 current guys have the same birthday as Namath. Gotta be more than a  coincidence, right? Right?

If the Jets draft another QB this draft- it pretty much tells you what they think of Geno and Petty

I hate the notion that stockpiling QBs somehow commits this make-believe transgression against the last QB picked. Million dollar organizations shouldn't have to tiptoe around stockpiling assets... QBs are the greatest investment and asset you can have in this league.

If they take another this year, then they have better odds of finding the "one". Doesn't mean they gave up on Petty, it means they protected their investment. 

Smartest thing I've seen an front office do in recent years is when Washington took RG3 and Cousins in the same draft. Protecting their investment. It's smart.

• 4 weeks later...

When the Jets selected Bryce Petty in the fourth round of last year’s draft, the quarterback was viewed largely as a project player.

Coming from a QB-friendly/spread offense in Baylor that didn’t require much from the signal caller, Petty needed two, maybe three years before he could legitimately compete to be a starting quarterback.Now that the first year of his career is over, this offseason will be a big one for the 24-year-old. Has he improved enough to show optimism for the future?Before that question gets answered, Jets Wire went back in time to look at how other quarterbacks selected in the fourth round have performed. Does history favor Petty’s chances at become the Jets franchise QB?

Let’s take a look. . . .

2014 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks
Logan Thomas, Arizona Cardinals:
Taken by the Cardinals, Thomas really hasn’t seen the field much during his time in the NFL. In fact, since 2014, he’s appeared in just two games. In those two games, Thomas is 1-of-9 for 81 yards. That one pass did go for a touchdown.Thomas was released a year after he was drafted, and is presently on the Dolphins practice squad.

Tom Savage, Houston Texans:
Savage is 10-of-19 for 127 yards with an interception in his two game appearances since being selected in 2014. Savage is still on the Texans roster, but has never really been given a chance to start for Houston.

2013 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Matt Barkley, Philadelphia Eagles
As a junior at USC, Barkley was once viewed as top-10 pick. He stayed an extra year, played poorly, and was taken by the Eagles in the fourth round of the 2013 draft. He received a couple of chances to show what he could do in Philly, but didn’t play all that well.In three games in 2013, Barkley went 30-of-49 for 300 yards with no touchdowns and four picks. He threw just one pass in 2014, and was cut in 2015. He’s presently on the Cardinals roster.

Ryan Nassib, New York Giants
Nassib was taken by the Giants largely to be Eli Manning’s backup. He’s flashed in the preseason, specifically in 2014, but has seen just minimal action during the regular season. Actually, in the five games he’s played in, Nassib has a perfect (158.3) quarterback rating.Granted, he’s only thrown 10 passes. He’s completed nine of them for 128 yards with a touchdown.

Tyler Wilson, Oakland Raiders:
Wilson was actually in the mix to be the Raiders starter after his selection, but lost the QB job to Terrelle Pryor. He never saw a regular-season snap with the Raiders, was cut, and has since bounced around a few teams practice squads.

Landry Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers:
Jones is presently backing up Ben Roethlisberger over in Pittsburgh, and saw the first regular-season action of his career last fall. Starting a few games, Jones went 32-of-55 for 513 yards with three touchdowns and four picks. He certainly didn’t look awful.

2012 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins
Arguably the most successful quarterback taken in the fourth round the last 10 years, Cousins broke out this season while leading the Redskins to an NFC East Title. Named the starter over Robert Griffin III in training camp, Cousins threw for 4,166 yards, 29 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions this season.For his career, Cousins has a 91.3 quarterback rating with 47 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. He has a career completion percentage of 65.2, and has thrown for 7,196 yards.

2010 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Mike Kafka, Philadelphia Eagles
Kafka has bounced around the NFL ever since being selected by the Eagles. He spent two years in Philly before being let go in 2011. Since then, he’s spent time with the Patriots, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Vikings, Titans and Bengals.Kafka has seen playing time in just four NFL games, all in 2011. That year, he completed 11-of-16 passes for 107 yards with no touchdowns and two picks.

2009 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Stephen McGee, Dallas Cowboys
McGee spent three seasons with the Cowboys after being selected in the fourth round. In those three years, he appeared in three games, completing 46-of-82 passes for 420 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions.McGee was waived by the team in 2012, sat out that entire season, signed with the Texans in the offseason, but was released by Houston on Aug. 26. McGee had a brief stint in the CFL, but has not appeared in an NFL game since 2011.

2005 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Kyle Orton, Chicago Bears
Up there with Cousins, Orton is one of the best quarterbacks taken in the fourth round these last 10 years, spending a decade in the NFL as a journeyman spot-starter/backup.

With stops in Chicago, Denver, Kansas City, Dallas and Buffalo, Orton retired last year with 18,037 career passing yards, 101 touchdowns and 69 interceptions. He has a career QB rating of 81.2.Orton’s best season came back in 2009 with the Broncos. That year, he completed 62.1 percent of his passes and threw for 3,802 yards with 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

Stefan LeFors, Carolina Panthers
LeFors didn’t last long with the Panthers, as he was released just one season after he was drafted.Once cut, LeFors had a few workouts with a few other NFL teams, but was never offered a contract. He played in the CFL in 2007, where he started five games.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/22/history-says-jets-shouldnt-bank-on-bryce-petty-as-future-qb/?hl=1&noRedirect=1

I would stick with the 3 guys we had in 2015. According to all reports during the year Geno was a good citizen off the field and in practice impressed the coaching staff.  He played in one game and I felt looked good except for that one pick. Of course we all know that could be BS and that Mac wants to get rid of him but get something back. It really depends on whether they think Petty could handle the offense if called into a game. Last year when Geno was out he was no. 2 and would have played if Fitz had been injured. So they kind of believed in him even though he was a rookie 4th round pick. Anyways the market for Geno will be low, probably a conditional 5th rounder or even higher. I wouldn't trade him at that price. Esp the way we see Qbs go down like flies during the season. If you don't have a backup who can play your season can go down the toilet.

14 minutes ago, kelly said:

When the Jets selected Bryce Petty in the fourth round of last year’s draft, the quarterback was viewed largely as a project player.

Coming from a QB-friendly/spread offense in Baylor that didn’t require much from the signal caller, Petty needed two, maybe three years before he could legitimately compete to be a starting quarterback.Now that the first year of his career is over, this offseason will be a big one for the 24-year-old. Has he improved enough to show optimism for the future?Before that question gets answered, Jets Wire went back in time to look at how other quarterbacks selected in the fourth round have performed. Does history favor Petty’s chances at become the Jets franchise QB?

Let’s take a look. . . .

2014 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks
Logan Thomas, Arizona Cardinals:
Taken by the Cardinals, Thomas really hasn’t seen the field much during his time in the NFL. In fact, since 2014, he’s appeared in just two games. In those two games, Thomas is 1-of-9 for 81 yards. That one pass did go for a touchdown.Thomas was released a year after he was drafted, and is presently on the Dolphins practice squad.

Tom Savage, Houston Texans:
Savage is 10-of-19 for 127 yards with an interception in his two game appearances since being selected in 2014. Savage is still on the Texans roster, but has never really been given a chance to start for Houston.

2013 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Matt Barkley, Philadelphia Eagles
As a junior at USC, Barkley was once viewed as top-10 pick. He stayed an extra year, played poorly, and was taken by the Eagles in the fourth round of the 2013 draft. He received a couple of chances to show what he could do in Philly, but didn’t play all that well.In three games in 2013, Barkley went 30-of-49 for 300 yards with no touchdowns and four picks. He threw just one pass in 2014, and was cut in 2015. He’s presently on the Cardinals roster.

Ryan Nassib, New York Giants
Nassib was taken by the Giants largely to be Eli Manning’s backup. He’s flashed in the preseason, specifically in 2014, but has seen just minimal action during the regular season. Actually, in the five games he’s played in, Nassib has a perfect (158.3) quarterback rating.Granted, he’s only thrown 10 passes. He’s completed nine of them for 128 yards with a touchdown.

Tyler Wilson, Oakland Raiders:
Wilson was actually in the mix to be the Raiders starter after his selection, but lost the QB job to Terrelle Pryor. He never saw a regular-season snap with the Raiders, was cut, and has since bounced around a few teams practice squads.

Landry Jones, Pittsburgh Steelers:
Jones is presently backing up Ben Roethlisberger over in Pittsburgh, and saw the first regular-season action of his career last fall. Starting a few games, Jones went 32-of-55 for 513 yards with three touchdowns and four picks. He certainly didn’t look awful.

2012 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins
Arguably the most successful quarterback taken in the fourth round the last 10 years, Cousins broke out this season while leading the Redskins to an NFC East Title. Named the starter over Robert Griffin III in training camp, Cousins threw for 4,166 yards, 29 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions this season.For his career, Cousins has a 91.3 quarterback rating with 47 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. He has a career completion percentage of 65.2, and has thrown for 7,196 yards.

2010 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Mike Kafka, Philadelphia Eagles
Kafka has bounced around the NFL ever since being selected by the Eagles. He spent two years in Philly before being let go in 2011. Since then, he’s spent time with the Patriots, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Vikings, Titans and Bengals.Kafka has seen playing time in just four NFL games, all in 2011. That year, he completed 11-of-16 passes for 107 yards with no touchdowns and two picks.

2009 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Stephen McGee, Dallas Cowboys
McGee spent three seasons with the Cowboys after being selected in the fourth round. In those three years, he appeared in three games, completing 46-of-82 passes for 420 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions.McGee was waived by the team in 2012, sat out that entire season, signed with the Texans in the offseason, but was released by Houston on Aug. 26. McGee had a brief stint in the CFL, but has not appeared in an NFL game since 2011.

2005 4th-Round Pick Quarterbacks:
Kyle Orton, Chicago Bears
Up there with Cousins, Orton is one of the best quarterbacks taken in the fourth round these last 10 years, spending a decade in the NFL as a journeyman spot-starter/backup.

With stops in Chicago, Denver, Kansas City, Dallas and Buffalo, Orton retired last year with 18,037 career passing yards, 101 touchdowns and 69 interceptions. He has a career QB rating of 81.2.Orton’s best season came back in 2009 with the Broncos. That year, he completed 62.1 percent of his passes and threw for 3,802 yards with 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

Stefan LeFors, Carolina Panthers
LeFors didn’t last long with the Panthers, as he was released just one season after he was drafted.Once cut, LeFors had a few workouts with a few other NFL teams, but was never offered a contract. He played in the CFL in 2007, where he started five games.

>     http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/02/22/history-says-jets-shouldnt-bank-on-bryce-petty-as-future-qb/?hl=1&noRedirect=1

A list of QBs taken 4th round or lower would have been better

Archived