All seven Patriots back out of Pro Bowl

Maxman

When it comes to the Pro Bowl, the Patriots just said no.

All seven Patriots who were selected for the Pro Bowl have decided not to spend the week in Hawaii. Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Jamie Collins, Chandler Jones, Malcolm Butler, Matthew Slater and Stephen Gostkowski have officially been replaced for the annual all-star game.

However, it's not just the Patriots who have declined to participate in the game that has become increasingly irrelevant in recent years. In total, a record of 133 players received Pro Bowl honors this season due to replacements, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

Brady (ankle), Gronkowski (knee, back), Collins (back), Slater (shin) and Jones (toe, abdomen) have been on the injury report, and Slater said yesterday he wanted to spend time at home with his newborn child. Jones was also involved in a medical situation with the Foxboro Police Department this month and has only addressed the media for 75 seconds in the last two weeks, so he might be trying to avoid the spotlight. Gostkowski was exceptionally hard on himself after Sunday's AFC Championship loss due to a failed extra point, so he might also need some time away from the game. It's unclear why Butler opted out.

This is the second consecutive year the Patriots won't have anyone playing in the Pro Bowl, as they were preparing for Super Bowl XLIX in 2015.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/the_blitz/2016/01/all_seven_patriots_back_out_of_pro_bowl

Jones also was involved in a medical situation with the Foxboro police this month and has only addressed the media for 75 seconds during the past two weeks, so he might be just trying to avoid the spotlight. 

guess this is already swept so far under the carpet it's never going to be anything more than "just kinda partying"

someone (maybe Drew Magary) wrote that in Australia, during the finals of their "super bowl" they take the 10 fastest players in their league and have a footrace during halftime with the winner getting $50,000. I'd much rather see something like that than a Pro Bowl.  Kinda like NBA dunk contest 

This is actually a good thing.  The more players that refuse to go means possibly getting rid of it.  Go with a skills competition instead.

someone (maybe Drew Magary) wrote that in Australia, during the finals of their "super bowl" they take the 10 fastest players in their league and have a footrace during halftime with the winner getting $50,000. I'd much rather see something like that than a Pro Bowl.  Kinda like NBA dunk contest 

That I would watch.

I admit it, I actually enjoy watching the Pro Bowl Draft, which is tonight.  I'm probably one of like 4 people who do.  But the game itself?  Nope.  Don't care at all.  I just like a good draft.

me too, preferably Guinness ?

The NFL should force the Pats* to be featured in Hard Knocks next year, could be epic

interview massholes on the Brady for president campaign

Deflategate appeals, if the needle does not fit you must acquit 

BB working on new ways to cheat, drones?

Live feed from Gronk parties

Pats against the world or are they just misunderstood, we need to know more...

X-files guest appearance? the truth is out there

:)

This is actually a good thing.  The more players that refuse to go means possibly getting rid of it.  Go with a skills competition instead.

Would love if they brought back the skill competition.

Pro Bowl is a joke .

Something like that would be entertaining. Home run competition is better than the game in baseball as well. 

Years ago - like 30+ years ago - I would root for one league to win over the other. I can't imagine now how I ever cared at all who wins any all star game. 

Make it a big NFL Combine for pro players. 40 yard dash, throw for distance, radar gun passing, throwing accuracy competitions they can conjure up, fastest time to push tackling dummies back 20 yards, one-handed or other types of catching competitions, even watching guys try to kick 65 yard FGs.

Actually sounds pretty cool.

I can't remember if it was last year or not, but I flipped on the Pro Bowl long enough to see Aaron Rodgers hand the ball off to a back and every lineman in the game just stood up like a penalty was called, but there was no penalty. It was live action and one of the LBs just stepped forward and stood the back up like they'd do in minicamp and Rodgers was so visibly annoyed that he took himself out of the game. This is the Pro Bowl. 

Something like that would be entertaining. Home run competition is better than the game in baseball as well. 

Years ago - like 30+ years ago - I would root for one league to win over the other. I can't imagine now how I ever cared at all who wins any all star game. 

Make it a big NFL Combine for pro players. 40 yard dash, throw for distance, radar gun passing, throwing accuracy competitions they can conjure up, fastest time to push tackling dummies back 20 yards, one-handed or other types of catching competitions, even watching guys try to kick 65 yard FGs.

Toss in some reasonable strongman events for the lineman and linebackers and that would be cool as hell to see.

Would be a showcase for impending free agents, too. 

Pretty sure the Patriots weren't allowed to have any of their players play in the pro bowl as part of their penalty for cheating.  Remember that it is the "pro bowl" and cheating is certainly not what any sane person would characterize as "professional".

Archived