NFL announces Super Bowl 50 Golden Team

Klecko73isGod

Quite a bit of Steeler bias in that lineup. I'd go with some different players at some of those positions.

RB - Jim Brown, Barry Sanders

TE -  Mark Bavaro

Inside Linebacker - Dick Butkus over Jack Lambert.  I'd keep Ray Lewis.

I'd pair Revis with Deion at CB

Head Coach - Vince Lombardi 

Neither Jim nor Barry played in a superbowl. Hell their respective teams have never even made it, let alone the years that those guys played!

It's a great list and it's only for SB winners.  Noll got the nod because he has 4 SBs in 6 years while Vince had 2 SBs.

Blount and Deion make it over Revis because Blount has 4 SBs and Deion has 2.  You can't put Revis ahead of 2 HOFers who have 6 SBs between them.

My only change would be at safety, replacing Jake Scott with Troy Polumalu.  Both won 2 SBs, but Troy is going to HOF and Scott hasn't been inducted.

Marcus Allen, John Riggins,  Bobby Bell, Derrick Brooks, Belichick, Brady, Richard Dent, Wilbur Marshall, Larry CsonkaAnthony Munoz, Marshall Faulk, Kam Chancellor

Micheal Irvin, Jonathan Ogden, Bruce Smith, Jim Marshall

How does Marcus Allen go in over Walter Peyton?   Or is it who had the best game?

Why are you guys listing Bruce Smith or Anthony Munoz when the list is for players that WON the SB?

Also, you can't put players that won just 1 SB over equally deserving players who won multiple SBs.  Thus, Brooks, Dent, Faulk, Peyton, Ogden, etc. get bumped.

It's a great list and it's only for SB winners.  Noll got the nod because he has 4 SBs in 6 years while Vince had 2 SBs.

Blount and Deion make it over Revis because Blount has 4 SBs and Deion has 2.  You can't put Revis ahead of 2 HOFers who have 6 SBs between them.

My only change would be at safety, replacing Jake Scott with Troy Polumalu.  Both won 2 SBs, but Troy is going to HOF and Scott hasn't been inducted.

It says Golden Team nothing about winners

Why are you guys listing Bruce Smith or Anthony Munoz when the list is for players that WON the SB?

Also, you can't put players that won just 1 SB over equally deserving players who won multiple SBs.  Thus, Brooks, Dent, Faulk, Peyton, Ogden, etc. get bumped.

It didn't say winners.  I guess they are going for the best individual game thing. 

Didn't Dent win the MVP with 3 sacks though?

That list is crap.

Lynn Swann?  GTF out of here.  Charles Haley over Bruce Smith?

Franco Harris over Walter Peyton or Marshall Faulk?

Jay Novacek?  Are you for real?   Bavaro, Gronk, Shannon Sharpe all better. 

it's Payton. Swann had great super bowl games and Harris played in 4. Novacek also played great in the sb's 

That list is crap.

Lynn Swann?  GTF out of here.  Charles Haley over Bruce Smith?

Franco Harris over Walter Peyton or Marshall Faulk?

Jay Novacek?  Are you for real?   Bavaro, Gronk, Shannon Sharpe all better. 

it's about how they played in the SBs not their careers.  Smith wasn't dominant in any of the SBs, haley won 5 of them.

Walter played in one SB and he averaged less than 3 YPC in that game.

etc...

Regarding DBs, not sure what Revis's legacy will be when it all shakes out.  Guy who was all world for a few years, but if last year and especially the last game, was any indication, I don't think history will look at him as one of the all-time greats. 

Regarding DBs, not sure what Revis's legacy will be when it all shakes out.  Guy who was all world for a few years, but if last year and especially the last game, was any indication, I don't think history will look at him as one of the all-time greats. 

best cover corner of all time at his peak.  will be regarded as one of the greatest when he retires.  playing zone and having Watkins go off in one game will not change that.  guys who were supposed shutdown corners have had opposing #1s go off far worse than Watkins in playoff games.

Kind of depends how he finishes up.  But he'll always have the 2009 season.  I still would say that was the greatest year a CB has ever had.  The fact that it happened 5 years AFTER the league began heavily emphasizing enforcement of the the illegal contact rule makes it all the more impressive.  He never matched that season again, but he's always been in the top 3-5 of corners when healthy. 

And where he really gains an advantage over other corners is the fact that no corner is really asked to all the things Revis has been asked to do over the course of his career.  Richard Sherman stays on one side of the field.  Guys like Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, etc. aren't asked to tackle RB's like Revis does.  Lots of other big name guys have come and gone.  But Revis has been consistent. 

Hard to argue against him being the best corner of the post-illegal contact era. 

best cover corner of all time at his peak.  will be regarded as one of the greatest when he retires.  playing zone and having Watkins go off in one game will not change that.  guys who were supposed shutdown corners have had opposing #1s go off far worse than Watkins in playoff games.

I would put Sanders on that list also

How long was his peak is the question.  Revis did a good job for a lot of this year, but got absolutely trashed by Watkins in the last game, got beaten by him when it counted in the prior game, was no match for Cooper when Cooper was targeted, and was completely embarrassed by Hopkins all game long.  The other question is what Revis has done in the past, is it enough to cement him as one of the best ever, if he never comes close to replicating it.

How long was his peak is the question.  Revis did a good job for a lot of this year, but got absolutely trashed by Watkins in the last game, got beaten by him when it counted in the prior game, was no match for Cooper when Cooper was targeted, and was completely embarrassed by Hopkins all game long.  The other question is what Revis has done in the past, is it enough to cement him as one of the best ever, if he never comes close to replicating it.

he had a few bad games, I don't blame him for week 17.  he did what he was asked to do.  he as excellent in NE last year, was great for us 2008-2012(he only played 3 games in '12) and I think he'll put up more good seasons.  he was very good most of this season, he just wasn't 2009/2010 Revis.

Kind of depends how he finishes up.  But he'll always have the 2009 season.  I still would say that was the greatest year a CB has ever had.  The fact that it happened 5 years AFTER the league began heavily emphasizing enforcement of the the illegal contact rule makes it all the more impressive.  He never matched that season again, but he's always been in the top 3-5 of corners when healthy. 

And where he really gains an advantage over other corners is the fact that no corner is really asked to all the things Revis has been asked to do over the course of his career.  Richard Sherman stays on one side of the field.  Guys like Patrick Peterson, Joe Haden, etc. aren't asked to tackle RB's like Revis does.  Lots of other big name guys have come and gone.  But Revis has been consistent. 

Hard to argue against him being the best corner of the post-illegal contact era. 

Obviously depends on how he finishes up.  I think we're going to see more and more slipping.  His reliance on perfect technique can only take him so far as his athleticism won't hold up against the top WRs in the game.  I think next year will answer a lot of questions regarding that.

Obviously depends on how he finishes up.  I think we're going to see more and more slipping.  His reliance on perfect technique can only take him so far as his athleticism won't hold up against the top WRs in the game.  I think next year will answer a lot of questions regarding that.

I truly believe he was playing hurt most of this season, there's no way he got that old that quick.  we'll see next year

he had a few bad games, I don't blame him for week 17.  he did what he was asked to do.  he as excellent in NE last year, was great for us 2008-2012(he only played 3 games in '12) and I think he'll put up more good seasons.  he was very good most of this season, he just wasn't 2009/2010 Revis.

If his job was to allow Watkins up and down the field at will, then he did his job.  He was not 2009/10 Revis, but the problem is we're paying him, and more importantly allocating our salary cap resources to him, as if he were.  Week 17 we did not get elite CB play.  Numerous times this season we did not get elite CB play.  That is the expectation as we have allocated our resources as such.

I truly believe he was playing hurt most of this season, there's no way he got that old that quick.  we'll see next year

This is possible.  But I don't know.  The older you get, the more often you're hurt and the longer it takes to heal... At least typically.  Honestly, I hope that's the case.  But I also wonder if Revis doesn't know that this was his last payday, regardless, and just doesn't give a crap anymore.  There's a fair amount of evidence based on the way he's handled contracts previously to support that idea.

Archived