First Scouting Report:   

35 members have voted

1. 1. First Scouting Report:

• Ezekiel Elliot
    • Laquan Treadwell
    • Paxton Lynch
    • Leonard Floyd
    • Noah Spence

So, I wanted to a breakdown of prospects that realistically have a shot at being there at 20 for us.  Lets face it, unless Joey Bosa or Jared Goff break their legs jumping from building after snorting coke, they are not making it to 20, so I don't really see the point of us breaking them down.   So, we'll have choices here, and the poll is open until Monday night.  I'll do the article either Tuesday or Wednesday night.  Since this is the first one, we'll stick to first round guys as possibilities.   After voting, please nominate someone for next week's poll (please no offensive lineman, while I understand we need one, I can't in any shape or form tell if what they are doing is getting beat or part of the play), and we'll tally up those guys for the poll.   This week's choices:

Ezekiel Elliot:  The top RB in the draft by most standards, and a stretch to make it to the Jets.  I've still seen some mocks where he makes it to 20, so I'll leave him in.  And for RBs, I think the combine is huge, so if he blows up there, then kiss this one goodbye.   

Laquan Treadwell- He was the consensus top WR in the draft, but I've been hearing rumors that a slow 40 time could make him slip a bit in the first.  If he runs a fast 40, top 10 lock.  

Paxton Lynch-  Most likely the 3rd QB in this class at this point.  There is a chance he slips, especially since he had a horrible game against Auburn.  I expect him to impress people at the combine however.  

Leonard Floyd-  He's been a popular mock to the Jets, and fills a dire need area.  

Noah Spence-  Had a great week at Senior Bowl, and is climbing up the rankings.  However, character concerns loom large.  

So from these 5, please choose 1.  

I don't pay attention to rankings pre-combine but elliot is the only guy I really know on this list. its very likely an OLB and a WR nobody's talking right now is going to shoot up the draft boards in the next month or so, and I'll probably be convinced into wanting that player. how about calhoun the OLB from michigan?

Y no Carson Wentz :(

At this point, he's going too high.  Really stood out at the Senior Bowl, and I think he's another one that is going to look good at the Combine.  Right now, it's looking slim he makes it out of the top 5.  

I don't pay attention to rankings pre-combine but elliot is the only guy I really know on this list. its very likely an OLB and a WR nobody's talking right now is going to shoot up the draft boards in the next month or so, and I'll probably be convinced into wanting that player. how about calhoun the OLB from michigan?

I can add Calhoun to the list for next week.  There is going to be a ton of movement from now until draft day.  One guy who already made a big leap is Braxton Miller, but I don't trust him for the first round pick.  

At this point, he's going too high.  Really stood out at the Senior Bowl, and I think he's another one that is going to look good at the Combine.  Right now, it's looking slim he makes it out of the top 5.  

I can add Calhoun to the list for next week.  There is going to be a ton of movement from now until draft day.  One guy who already made a big leap is Braxton Miller, but I don't trust him for the first round pick.  

cool, just for sh*ts and giggles lets see if we can guess who's going to be the next player that suddenly vaults up into the first round 

I agree on Wentz.  I love that kid. But hey, a man can dream lol. I voted Elliot mainly because I think there are some decent options in FA for pass rushers and I don't personally belive there will be a better prospect at 20.

I truly believe that Elliot is going to flourish at the next level.  Would be an AWESOME addition to our offense.

cool, just for sh*ts and giggles lets see if we can guess who's going to be the next player that suddenly vaults up into the first round 

I'm not sure who moves up yet, because of the combine, but it's usually a good bet that some speedster shows off speed, and people go nuts (ala Dorsett last year, Tavon before him).   So I'll take a guess at Fuller.  

Another guy I really like to keep my eye on is Boyd.  He was a surefire first round pick coming into the year, and I like his hands.  I'm not sure about the measurables and he seemed to get off the line slow, but it could be interesting for sure if he falls or not into the second round.  He reminds me somewhat of Keenan Allen.  

I agree on Wentz.  I love that kid. But hey, a man can dream lol. I voted Elliott mainly because I think there are some decebt options in FA for pass rushers and I don't personally belive there will be a better prospect at 20. I truly believe that Elliot is going to flourish at the next level.  Would be an AWESOME addition to our offense.

Yeah, if we can add him to the offense, it really should help us.  And I've watched him some already, kid fits in perfectly.  The main attraction being that he can catch passes pretty well.  

Reading the Senior Bowl news threads, I think that Spence is going to be interesting.  I heard that he was horrible in interviews.  That is not good considering all the PR hype that he turned himself around.  He supposedly got his life on the right track since he left Ohio State, but he was arrested for being intoxicated and that does not bode well for a kid in recovery for an alleged Ecstasy addiction.  He was also supposed to have good grades and be a super nice kid, but if so, why was he bad in interviews?  One of the reports also said that he was all athlete, but seemed like he didn't know where he was going in a football sense.  I think that was from a limited sample size though.

I would take Spence over Floyd considering size, speed and I think he has learned a life lesson dealing with issues, he is back on track and I will be happy if a Jet on draft day, Floyd could bulk up for the combine and make it interesting but it would still be hard to see the Jets take another defensive player in the first

Overall I think Zeke would make the most impact on this team,  so he would get my vote

Is next week's poll possible 2nd round prospects? 

Spence is still a major worry for me character wise.  Sounded like he was a down right addict with some of his troubles no just smoking a bit of weed.  Also some reports from senior bowl and that he was not interviewing well and in his own words, he was talking about giving the teams his 'spiel' about how he admitted his issues and saying they would not be a problem going forward.  If not for these issues he would for sure be my pick.  In the end I chose the QB.  I'd love to get Elliot but you have to take a chance on the QB if you like the guy.

I went with Spence.  He had a monster Senior Bowl week, and I thought he would be out of the Jets reach.  Then I read that he didn't interview well.

Will some GM turn a blind eye on his off field issues for superior edge rushing talent?    Stay tuned   

It's been 15 years since we have taken a playmaker on Offense  in the 1st round (Santana Moss)--not counting TE and even Dustin Keller was a solid player. I think it's time to take Elliot and hope he becomes a difference maker for us. 

People love to bash Jets 1st round picks but 3 of the last 4 offensive playmakers (WR/RB) we have taken were Al Toon, Blair Thomas, Santana Moss and Keyshawn. All 3 WRs had very good/long productive careers. 

It's a 2 QB draft (I'd even argue 1 not a Goff fan, but kid has a chance) so if Wentz, and Goff are gone QB gets put on the back burner till RD 4 at the earliest IMO.

As far as Paxton Lynch goes, he is compared to Brock Osweiller who needs 3 years to sit, and learn, I'm not wasting a 1st round pick on that kind of project when I already have Petty.  Sure another Petty type project like the NC State kid in Rds 3,4 sure, but no thanks in Rd 1, or 2.

Wentz flew up draft boards faster than Bortles, amazing, it's a shame he will go where all QB'S go to die Cleveland.

It's been 15 years since we have taken a playmaker on Offense  in the 1st round (Santana Moss)--not counting TE and even Dustin Keller was a solid player. I think it's time to take Elliot and hope he becomes a difference maker for us. 

People love to bash Jets 1st round picks but 3 of the last 4 offensive playmakers (WR/RB) we have taken were Al Toon, Blair Thomas, Santana Moss and Keyshawn. All 3 WRs had very good/long productive careers. 

Unless the running back is a franchise changing player (a la Adrian Peterson), then there is no need to draft one in the 1st round. There be plenty of productive running backs taken in rounds 2-5. It's not necessary to pay a premium price for a position that is no longer a premium on the field. Most teams need 2-3 backs to be successful int he NFL today. There are bigger holes on the Jets than running back. Unless Elliot is the BPA (and he won't be), there is no need to take him in the first round.

So, I wanted to a breakdown of prospects that realistically have a shot at being there at 20 for us.  Lets face it, unless Joey Bosa or Jared Goff break their legs jumping from building after snorting coke, they are not making it to 20, so I don't really see the point of us breaking them down.   So, we'll have choices here, and the poll is open until Monday night.  I'll do the article either Tuesday or Wednesday night.  Since this is the first one, we'll stick to first round guys as possibilities.   After voting, please nominate someone for next week's poll (please no offensive lineman, while I understand we need one, I can't in any shape or form tell if what they are doing is getting beat or part of the play), and we'll tally up those guys for the poll.   This week's choices:

Ezekiel Elliot:  The top RB in the draft by most standards, and a stretch to make it to the Jets.  I've still seen some mocks where he makes it to 20, so I'll leave him in.  And for RBs, I think the combine is huge, so if he blows up there, then kiss this one goodbye.   

Laquan Treadwell- He was the consensus top WR in the draft, but I've been hearing rumors that a slow 40 time could make him slip a bit in the first.  If he runs a fast 40, top 10 lock.  

Paxton Lynch-  Most likely the 3rd QB in this class at this point.  There is a chance he slips, especially since he had a horrible game against Auburn.  I expect him to impress people at the combine however.  

Leonard Floyd-  He's been a popular mock to the Jets, and fills a dire need area.  

Noah Spence-  Had a great week at Senior Bowl, and is climbing up the rankings.  However, character concerns loom large.  

So from these 5, please choose 1.  

Just wondering Win, why isn't Jaylon Smith on that list?  I've seen several mocks that have him falling to 20

super interesting prospect but his knee injury was major. Likely a redshirt rookie year situation. 

I agree.  Sitting Smith all year, and letting him fully heal, would probably be the smart way to go.  I also know the fan base would go insane about it.

Which is the only rreason he would be there at 20.  Still think it is way worth it.  Only real concern is will he be 100%.  This was a big injury.  ACL & MCL.  Still think he might have been a top 5 pick , who could fall to the Jets at 20.

IMO worth the risk

Which is the only rreason he would be there at 20.  Still think it is way worth it.

although there are some exceptions

1st round picks are for instant starters

2nd round picks are for projects

I'd characterize a player with this level of knee blow out to be a project. and while I like this player I don't like the Jets getting nothing out of their first round pick in 2016. Especially when they only have 6 picks. 

I'd characterize a player with this level of knee blow out to be a project. and while I like this player I don't like the Jets getting nothing out of their first round pick in 2016. Especially when they only have 6 picks. 

No question it would take chops to pull the trigger on him.  Don't know if Macc adheres to the rules.

I'd take him.  Sure hope he's there to find out.  In all honesty I think some one in fromt of the Jets will break the rules first

Unless the running back is a franchise changing player (a la Adrian Peterson), then there is no need to draft one in the 1st round. There be plenty of productive running backs taken in rounds 2-5. It's not necessary to pay a premium price for a position that is no longer a premium on the field. Most teams need 2-3 backs to be successful int he NFL today. There are bigger holes on the Jets than running back. Unless Elliot is the BPA (and he won't be), there is no need to take him in the first round.

I usually agree with that logic, but if Elliot is the best RB and he is BPA (or at least close to it) I am all for it. We need young playmakers. Elliot can be that guy. If it was an Eddie Lacy type, i would say no because guys like Chris Ivory can do just about the same thing. Also if Elliot was just a 2 down back I would pass, but this kid can get to the edge, run inside, catch and block all at an elite level. That is hard to find in the later rounds. The only thing keeping him from being a top 10 pick is that he lacks elite speed, but we all know that elite speed does not make or break RBs.  If not Elliot, then I would go OL

Elliot laying out some kid on Purdue as a freshmen

Rz13LYA.gif

Elliot outrunning the Bama defenders despite not having "elite" 40 speed. He clearly has elite football speed. 

There are reports that he could be ready for 2016. Gurley blew his knee out and was still picked in the top ten. Jaylon Smith, if healthy, would be an instant starter. The Jets have been getting nothing out of their first round picks for quite some time. The risk is worth the reward in this instance.

There are reports that he could be ready for 2016. Gurley blew his knee out and was still picked in the top ten. Jaylon Smith, if healthy, would be an instant starter. The Jets have been getting nothing out of their first round picks for quite some time. The risk is worth the reward in this instance.

I would be stunned if he were ready to play in September.  Gurley blew his knee out in early Nov.  it was an ACL I believe.

Smith blew his knee out in early Jan.  it was both an ACL and MCL.  Very severe.

I haven't read any reports that he would be ready in September, if there are they are probably started by his agent 

fwiw they are comparing the injury and recovery time to Bengals OT Cedric Ogbuehi. He went 21st last year. He was not cleared for practice until mid-November. 

Which brings up an interesting point Bit, If I'm not mistaken  Cedric Ogbuehi was drafted 20, or 21.  The blown knee    Didn't stop Mike Brown from pulling the trigger on him.  Don't think his original value was close to where smith was .  Lot of people had Smith top 5

Which brings up an interesting point Bit, If I'm not mistaken  Cedric Ogbuehi was drafted 20, or 21.  The blown knee    Didn't stop Mike Brown from pulling the trigger on him.  Don't think his original value was close to where smith was .  Lot of people had Smith top 5

it is an interesting comparison but it should also be noted that OTs and pass rushing OLBs have different speed requirements. 

Ogbuehi wasn't exactly spry before the injury. He's a power slob like Andre Smith who they drafted Ogbuehi to replace

it is an interesting comparison but it should also be noted that OTs and pass rushing OLBs have different speed requirements. 

Ogbuehi wasn't exactly spry before the injury. He's a power slob like Andre Smith who they drafted Ogbuehi to replace

Yep, absolutely correct.

My greatest fear with taking Smith isn't about the Red Shirt year, it's whether he will ever be the same player again.

Think it will come down to who else is on the board.    Say if Noah Spence is still on the board (who has his own non-play issues)  Spence has just embarrassed most of the OT's at the Senior Bowl practices, and Macc has Spence rated very  high, that might be a rough decision for him.

Some reports are that Jaylon Smith might not miss any time next season. If true, he'd probably be out of reach by the time the Jets pick. Which is sad because he's going to be a great player at the pro level.

you are pipedreaming, major injury in december, he will be lucky to play in 8 games, and why rush him back

I usually agree with that logic, but if Elliot is the best RB and he is BPA (or at least close to it) I am all for it. We need young playmakers. Elliot can be that guy. If it was an Eddie Lacy type, i would say no because guys like Chris Ivory can do just about the same thing. Also if Elliot was just a 2 down back I would pass, but this kid can get to the edge, run inside, catch and block all at an elite level. That is hard to find in the later rounds. The only thing keeping him from being a top 10 pick is that he lacks elite speed, but we all know that elite speed does not make or break RBs.  If not Elliot, then I would go OL

Elliot laying out some kid on Purdue as a freshmen

Rz13LYA.gif

Elliot outrunning the Bama defenders despite not having "elite" 40 speed. He clearly has elite football speed. 

that wasnt even his best run vs bama, the one he took on the sidelines was much better,  BTW ragland got hurt and his replacement  #11 really phucked up on def

Archived