Dan Quinn

TuscanyTile2

I think that's the name of the Atlanta coach.  I remember some on here wanted him to be the HC of the NYJ.  Just wondering if anyone would still prefer Quinn over Bowles?   I'm guessing no because I think Quinn had a rough year but just wondering if that assumption is correct.  One season doesn't determine whether a HC is a good hire (I guess unless they win the SB). 

I wanted Bowles from the get go. I remember when he was being mentioned as a possible candidate for the Fins Job and I was hoping they would screw it up and not hire him and of course they did. I agree one season doesn't determine the coaches success but Quinn had Matt Ryan and he also built and ran his own defense which is his specialty. Bowles had Ryan F  as the starting quarterback and he still hasn't got all of his players in place I just hope the organization gives him the time he needs to build his team. I think Bowles has much more coaching experience than Dan Quinn does. I think we definitely made the right choice. 

I think that's the name of the Atlanta coach.  I remember some on here wanted him to be the HC of the NYJ.  Just wondering if anyone would still prefer Quinn over Bowles?   I'm guessing no because I think Quinn had a rough year but just wondering if that assumption is correct.  One season doesn't determine whether a HC is a good hire (I guess unless they win the SB). 

The Jets preferred him to Bowles but didn't want to lose out on Bowles if he got hired by the Falcons then risk losing out on Quinn elsewhere.

We had the better season & I prefer Bowles ...

but Quinn had plenty of good as well in his first season to go along with the bumps & bruises he got along the way.

this is a pretty normal take on his inaugural run as the HC

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2016/01/06/fricke-grading-falcons/

Coaching – Quinn infused new energy into the franchise from the jump. From the music driven training camp to the new looks on both sides of the ball. There were bumps and a learning curve along the way and the ever-present question whether the new run blocking scheme fit the personnel to execute it.  Considering Quinn improved the win total from the previous season and has given the franchise reason to believe that more progress is ahead then the grade is B.

Bowles did a good job but make no mistake he cost us a game with poor clock management , lack of responding to the way Buffalo played off Revis.

He has a lot to learn if he wants to be a long term winner.  We lost both games to Buffalo on coaching IMO. The games were close and small decisions made the difference.

Quinn inherited a team with a franchise-caliber QB, and made him worse. We took a good from the scrap heap, and made ourselves relevant.

I'm sure he's a fine coach, but I'm happier with the crew we landed... most importantly, because we completely rebuilt our scouting department.

Bowles did a good job but make no mistake he cost us a game with poor clock management , lack of responding to the way Buffalo played off Revis.

He has a lot to learn if he wants to be a long term winner.  We lost both games to Buffalo on coaching IMO. The games were close and small decisions made the difference.

we lost both Bills games because of poor execution. Not saying the coaching was great, but if we executed, we win both games.

One season is not enough to conclusively say who is the better HC, but I am thrilled with our football management of Mac & Bowles.  I thought, for a rookie, Bowles was solid this year. I think he brought professionalism this team hadn't seen in awhile.  

we lost both Bills games because of poor execution. Not saying the coaching was great, but if we executed, we win both games.

In fairness, couldn't every team say that about every loss?  Every play is designed to work.  If you don't execute, you lose.

I like Quinn, but I am more than happy with Bowles.

A little patting my own back: I was banging the table for hiring kubiak and drafting Gurley...that would have been a sweet combo. 

Bowles is going to be our coach for a long time, IMO. I'm excited about that. Get the man some playmakers at OLB and he'll have the D humming. Kudos to Woody for hiring casserly and wolf and having them bring in maccagnan and Bowles. The arrow is pointing up for us-we don't get to say that too often.

I wonder how we would know what kind of job Quinn did in Atlanta.  

Bowles obviously did a good job so were all happy.  

But again I have no clue what kind of HC anyone is strictly off their record.  Its more than just his record that needs to be looked at.  To me his record might be the last thing to look at

In fairness, couldn't every team say that about every loss?  Every play is designed to work.  If you don't execute, you lose.

Sure, but you can also blame every game on coaching too. Acting like Rex out coached Bowles is silly, Bowles made mistakes, so did Rex, but both games were right there for the taking, I blame it on execution because there were bad turnovers in both games. Rex has NEVER been a big winner in the turnover differental, he happened to be in both games this year, that is luck and bad execution by the Jets more than it is coaching.

But again I have no clue what kind of HC anyone is strictly off their record.  Its more than just his record that needs to be looked at.  To me his record might be the last thing to look at

Great post. Worry about our own team. Who the hell cares about Atlanta's coach?

Great post. Worry about our own team. Who the hell cares about Atlanta's coach?

Agree.  Also my main thought was that without watching every game, following the Falcons as closely as we obviously follow our own team, it's hard to come to any conclusions.  

And like you said, who care?  We got our guy.  We know he did a good job and he had a really good year and set a good starting point to develop off of.  

It's amazing how much perception is changed by one game. I hate it because it is illogical. I mean, if they beat Buffalo and lost to Cincy the next week in the Wild Card round, would we feel any better? Maybe a bit, but enough to counteract the negativity? Who knows.

As for Quinn, that team had more young talent than the Jets and, I believe JiF talks about the percentage of starting 4-1 and missing the playoffs. The Falcons started 5-0 and missed the playoffs.

It's amazing how much perception is changed by one game. I hate it because it is illogical. I mean, if they beat Buffalo and lost to Cincy the next week in the Wild Card round, would we feel any better? Maybe a bit, but enough to counteract the negativity? Who knows.

As for Quinn, that team had more young talent than the Jets and, I believe JiF talks about the percentage of starting 4-1 and missing the playoffs. The Falcons started 5-0 and missed the playoffs.

I said that same thing; apparently winning 5 games in a row isn't clutch; beating the Patriots in OT isn't clutch; once you loose a game that would get you into the playoffs you can't win a big game. Would we feel better beating Rex, YES; would we fell better making the playoffs? YES; was the season a failure; I don't think so.

Would Quinn have done better? Who knows at this point.

and how many games did the New England genius lose with his coaching decisions

perhaps by watching Falcons games & reading what the local Atlanta fans and media thought

JMO

perhaps by watching Falcons games & reading what the local Atlanta fans and media thought

JMO

and I seriously doubt many watched all the Falcon games, read the local media and fan outlets, as if the local Atlanta press and fans would really provide insight.

Again, without really watching their games and following as closely as we follow Jet games hard to do the job right

and how many games did the New England genius lose with his coaching decisions

well..he does have 4 SB wins.  The JETS cant even get there since 1970..  The Panthers will be making their 2nd appearance in 12 years.

Im sure I have been a JETS fan longer than you so lets not have a contest BUT the acceptance of mediocroty is no longer acceptable for me.

well..he does have 4 SB wins.  The JETS cant even get there since 1970..  The Panthers will be making their 2nd appearance in 12 years.

Im sure I have been a JETS fan longer than you so lets not have a contest BUT the acceptance of mediocroty is no longer acceptable for me.

Agree with you!  To paraphrase you just a bit, the only thing that will ever change this franchise is if "the acceptance of mediocrity is no longer acceptable to Woody."

Sure, but you can also blame every game on coaching too. Acting like Rex out coached Bowles is silly, Bowles made mistakes, so did Rex, but both games were right there for the taking, I blame it on execution because there were bad turnovers in both games. Rex has NEVER been a big winner in the turnover differental, he happened to be in both games this year, that is luck and bad execution by the Jets more than it is coaching.

Last Bill's game

I agree and I also wonder why Chris Ivory had only eight carries in that game and never saw the field after his 58 yard run. Ridley was good for nothing and Powell not available, so why was Ivory on the bench? If injured the Jets never mentioned it nor did any sideline reporter. I wonder if Ivory somehow got in Bowles doghouse, but why? If anyone knows please respond.

Last Bill's game

This chart looks a little off. 81 touchdowns and six yards for Ivory and 29 TD's for Ridley? I am not understanding this chart at all.

This chart looks a little off. 81 touchdowns and six yards for Ivory and 29 TD's for Ridley? I am not understanding this chart at all.

Numbers got shifted a column in the paste - Ivory 8 attempts, 81 yards, 0 TD, 58 long 

If Ivory was hurt - which hasn't confirmed in anything I ever heard - then his low involvement in the game plan makes sense.

If not - our first year coach would have seemingly made a pretty egregious mistake.

I agree and I also wonder why Chris Ivory had only eight carries in that game and never saw the field after his 58 yard run. Ridley was good for nothing and Powell not available, so why was Ivory on the bench? If injured the Jets never mentioned it nor did any sideline reporter. I wonder if Ivory somehow got in Bowles doghouse, but why? If anyone knows please respond.

After his 58 yard run, the next time I saw him he was face down on the trainer's table having his hamstring worked on. And not in a gentle way.

Bowles defense was better, and he didn't have have Ryan and Julio on offense walking in. Quinn's defense seems to rely on having pro bowlers all over the roster. Both had some game management issues, but imo Bowles was better and will be better long term.

4 SB**** wins ;)

and I seriously doubt many watched all the Falcon games, read the local media and fan outlets, as if the local Atlanta press and fans would really provide insight.

Again, without really watching their games and following as closely as we follow Jet games hard to do the job right

true , ... The fact that I've been transplanted down to the ATL I get it more than most.

my earlier post is the common perception of his first year ... Give or take a "B" grade.

next year will give us much more solid info on both Bowles & Quinn

hope to see them continue to learn & grow with experience

true , ... The fact that I've been transplanted down to the ATL I get it more than most.

my earlier post is the common perception of his first year ... Give or take a "B" grade.

next year will give us much more solid info on both Bowles & Quinn

hope to see them continue to learn & grow with experience

yeah, might take a little time to see who develops and into what.  Think both organizations have to be happy so far.  

Archived