If Snacks signs 4 yr/ $32mil deal... comp pick =?

32EBoozer

Let Snacks walk or take the comp pick(4th rd)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Pay or walk?

• Pay
    • Take the comp pick.

You don't get comp picks if you sign other FA's for similar money, only if you lose more higher priced FA's then you sign, so it would matter what the Jets did, if they signed say L Miller to a 4 year 28 mill contract that would cancel out the lose of Snacks deal, the NFL does not release the exact formula thou in who, and why which rd is assigned to each team so it is tough to determine.

You don't get comp picks if you sign other FA's for similar money, only if you lose more higher priced FA's then you sign, so it would matter what the Jets did, if they signed say L Miller to a 4 year 28 mill contract that would cancel out the lose of Snacks deal, the NFL does not release the exact formula thou in who, and why which rd is assigned to each team so it is tough to determine.

So.... did you vote comp pick or do you try and sign snacks?

Would that get us a 4th rd. comp pick?

What do y'all think?

Let him walk and take the 4th or pay the man $32 mil?

Whats the chances of getting another player anywhere near as good as Snacks with a 4th round pick?  Or a 3rd?  Or a 2nd?  Even a 1st

Let him walk and try to make Wilkerson happy. Snacks is a great player but he can be replaced much cheaper by a decent I don't think we need a top 10 in the position when we have one of the strongest DE trios in the NFL.

It's a lot easier to find a 34 DE than it is to find a pure NT  in the NFL . This draft is full of 34 DEs who are stout against the run and can get to the QB . There are very few pure NTs in this or any draft. 

Let him walk and try to make Wilkerson happy. Snacks is a great player but he can be replaced much cheaper by a decent I don't think we need a top 10 in the position when we have one of the strongest DE trios in the NFL.

This defense demands a stud NT run stuffing machine.  Most important position on the Bowles Dline. 

Whats the chances of getting another player anywhere near as good as Snacks with a 4th round pick?  Or a 3rd?  Or a 2nd?  Even a 1st

very very very slim. 

It's a lot easier to find a 34 DE than it is to find a pure NT  in the NFL . This draft is full of 34 DEs who are stout against the run and can get to the QB . There are very few pure NTs in this or any draft. 

The Jets have had or produced competent NTs for some time now - none at a cost higher than the Jenkins trade of a third and a 5. Except for 2006 with Robertson the org has put out Jason Ferguson, Pouha, and lately Harrison over the past 15+ seasons.

Harrison is an excellent young nose tackle. there arent that many of these guys around. we only have one and it is a position of great importance on a defense like this. we do have 3 very good defensive ends though. wilkerson is a luxury for this team. we are stacked at the position. have to let him go in way or another. we need to re-up fitz and try to sign lamar miller, ladarius green, and sanu

Harrison is an excellent young nose tackle. there arent that many of these guys around. we only have one and it is a position of great importance on a defense like this. we do have 3 very good defensive ends though. wilkerson is a luxury for this team. we are stacked at the position. have to let him go in way or another. we need to re-up fitz and try to sign lamar miller, ladarius green, and sanu

Without commiting to the players you mentioned as alternatives, I agree that a tag and trade for Wilkerson makes a lot of sense.

Pass on Ladarius Green. I'd look at Dwayne Allen or Quarless for Chan's system. We need a good in-line blocker with good hands

Competent run stuffers available in FA that won't cost $8 million a year:

BJ Raji

Haloti Ngata

Athyba Rubin

Brandon Mebane

Terrance Knighton

Its not the kind of position you throw a ton of money at. Having the best run defender in the league is like having the fastest horse drawn carriage at a Formula 1 race. 

Competent run stuffers available in FA that won't cost $8 million a year:

BJ Raji

Haloti Ngata

Athyba Rubin

Brandon Mebane

Terrance Knighton

Its not the kind of position you throw a ton of money at. Having the best run defender in the league is like having the fastest horse drawn carriage at a Formula 1 race. 

I think MacDaddy gives Simon a shot. He's seen him at practices.... he's an athletic big man like Snacks.... we'll see what happens.

I would hate to see Snacks on the Patriots.

Simon (6'4", 321), known as "Big D" since middle school in Baton Rouge, LA, came on late last year and early this year. Coming off a knee injury that limited his senior season, he worked out hard and rose through the offseason predraft process. He missed the Senior Bowl but he had a strong NFL Combine, during which he ran a 5.12-second 40 and had 35 reps in the 225-pound benchpress.

"Everybody said I was always strong, but I had my first time doing the benchpress at the combine," Simon said. "I was working out for it, and when I got to the combine, I had a set number in my head, I looked at the level of competition there, and I tried to beat some of those guys. I did the best I could."

His best was pretty good. The 35 reps was the best at the combine among defensive linemen, tied for the best on defense with Clemson LB Vic Beasley, and was tied for third among all participants.

Damon Harrison Pro Day #'s. I'd say they're pretty similar coming out. Edge goes to Simon, though

Ht                Wt     40-yd dash     10-yd split     20-yd split     20-ss    3-cone    Vert        Broad        BP                                                      

6 ft 2 12 in   339 lb     5.54 s            1.91 s          3.14 s         4.99 s    7.80 s    25 in    7 ft 9 in     34 reps

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/deon-simon?id=2552678

2015 NFL Draft diaries 1.0: Deon Simon

Throughout the pre-draft process, Around The NFL's Conor Orr will be keeping tabs on a pair of prospects -- Northwestern State defensive tackle Deon Simon and Michigan State wideout Tony Lippett -- hoping to make a splash at the NFL Scouting Combine and secure their status as Day 1 draft selections. In Thursday's installment, Simon talks about the moments leading up to the combine that give the process a certain gravity for the first time.

It became real for Deon Simon before the Baylor game this season.

Northwestern State defensive tackle Deon Simon will participate in this month's combine. (Gary Hardamon/NSU Photographic Services)
Northwestern State defensive tackle Deon Simon will participate in this month's combine. (Gary Hardamon/NSU Photographic Services)

The 6-foot-4, 320-pound defensive tackle from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, started attracting scouts after a strong junior season. Size and speed naturally get your foot in the door even at a small school like Northwestern State. But in the weeks leading up to Simon's first game against an FBS opponent, the conversation began to shift away from natural gifts.

"I was getting asked questions about whether I could play up to that level," he said. "It raises me up real high. Those games we were really the underdogs and I wanted to be the one on my team to stand out."

The Demons ended up losing 70-6 in front of more than 40,000 people, dropping their overall record to 0-2. But Simon was almost single-handedly responsible for slowing down the Bears' rushing game. Scouts would end up pegging that moment, one bright spot in a horrific, schedule-driven blowout, as proof that Simon should be taken seriously.

His draft journey was unofficially underway.

Flash forward to January, just a few days before the NFL divisional playoffs, and Simon was in his agent's Indianapolis-based office for pre-combine preparation. Despite not being invited to the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, Simon was handpicked for the scouting combine in Indianapolis where he hopes to have a Dontari Poe effect.

Back in 2012, the seldom-mentioned nose tackle from Memphis raised some eyebrows with 44 reps at 225 pounds on the bench press. Simon hit 41 in training and hopes the adrenaline will inch him closer. Poe is a comparison thrown his way often, as is Damon Harrison, the Jets' nose tackle who came out of William Penn University in Oskaloosa, Iowa, and ended up snatching a spot in the starting lineup over more established talent.

0ap3000000464227.jpg

NFL Now delivers a non-stop video stream highlighting the next generation of NFL talent in preparation for the 2015 NFL Draft. Start using it now!

The meeting in Indianapolis had nothing to do with weights, though. Strategically, the combine is won and lost in a series of meetings each player has behind the scenes with general managers and personnel executives. Simon was there to get grilled by former Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, an exercise that would prepare him for the oddball questions often hurled at players in order to test their composure. Each year, the agency, Exclusive Sports Group, pays Angelo as a consultant as part of their prep work.

"He's a nice guy," Simon said. "He gave us a ton of information, especially on what type of questions will be asked. Basically, the whole thing was about being straightforward. Some of the questions took me by surprise, but some I had a feel for. I already heard some of the scouts at my school ask me some of those questions. Basically, they want to know my background, whether or not I live with my mom or dad, what type of neighborhood I grew up in."

The most surprising ended up being questions about the love of the game. Simon prefers to keep quiet. He learned the virtue of a "Yes, sir," "No, sir" attitude from his mother a long time ago, but Angelo warned that dead air could translate poorly to the suits sitting across the table.

Angelo wanted to know if Simon really wanted to be here, in this chair, at this moment.

With the combine just a few weeks away, with everything he worked for starting to come together, there was only one correct answer.

Damon Harrison Pro Day #'s. I'd say they're pretty similar coming out. Edge goes to Simon, though

Ht                Wt     40-yd dash     10-yd split     20-yd split     20-ss    3-cone    Vert        Broad        BP                                                      

6 ft 2 12 in   339 lb     5.54 s            1.91 s          3.14 s         4.99 s    7.80 s    25 in    7 ft 9 in     34 reps

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/deon-simon?id=2552678

Problem is Snacks is a million times better than the player who came out.  Numbers are meaningless to me, its how you develop, how driven you are and how much you put into improving.

Not only are you swapping one player who is a given producer for an unknown.  

People who don't learn from History are doomed to repeat it.  Once upon a time the Jets were ranked top 5 in defense following a season in which  they implemented 6 new starters. The following  off season, the Jets drafted a young NT who they expected to replace their starting NT who was a free agent . Well, the starting NT left to Dallas, the draft pick got injured and missed a lot of time before eventually developing into a solid NT .

That season, the defense with no real NT couldn't stop the run and fell off significantly .  Will the Jets make the same mistake again. Stay tune .

You cannot play sound defense in the NFL if you cannot stop the run . I don't care if you have the best pass rushers and the best secondary, if you can't stop the run you're not winning. I once saw a Raiders team run the ball either 22 or 23 straight times against my Jets culminating in a TD.  The only reason we won the game was because the idiot HC of the Raiders decided to allow his QB to throw the ball instead of continuing to run it down our throats .

In the NFL, you need a NT and I know we have 1 in Damon Harrison . I have no clue what Simon will or won't be, so before I allow Harrison to leave, I want some assurances . 32 mil over 4 years for a premium position player is on the cheap side if you ask me.

People who don't learn from History are doomed to repeat it.  Once upon a time the Jets were ranked top 5 in defense following a season in which  they implemented 6 new starters. The following  off season, the Jets drafted a young NT who they expected to replace their starting NT who was a free agent . Well, the starting NT left to Dallas, the draft pick got injured and missed a lot of time before eventually developing into a solid NT .

That season, the defense with no real NT couldn't stop the run and fell off significantly .  Will the Jets make the same mistake again. Stay tune .

You cannot play sound defense in the NFL if you cannot stop the run . I don't care if you have the best pass rushers and the best secondary, if you can't stop the run you're not winning. I once saw a Raiders team run the ball either 22 or 23 straight times against my Jets culminating in a TD.  The only reason we won the game was because the idiot HC of the Raiders decided to allow his QB to throw the ball instead of continuing to run it down our throats .

In the NFL, you need a NT and I know we have 1 in Damon Harrison . I have no clue what Simon will or won't be, so before I allow Harrison to leave, I want some assurances . 32 mil over 4 years for a premium position player is on the cheap side if you ask me.

As usual some Jet fans fall in love with a player and would trade or cut players to make that one player happy with a huge contract.. When that happened with Revis at least he was considered one of the best of all time.. Mo is not in that category IMO he's not even in the Shaun Ellis category.. Some people act like 12 sacks is the best of all time but it's not a fact. Some think he's the best player on the team but the reason we went from 4-12 to 10-6 wasn't Mo it was the pieces on the offense that made that a reality.. I would like to see Mo be a Jet for life but not at the cost of gutting the team to make him happy..

Some people are really undervaluing the importance of having a nose tackle who can really occupy the interior. It's where it all starts. If you don't have it it's like a domino effect on the defense

How much Cap Space do we put into our DL then....especially with Sheldon on the horizon?

I don't know the answer to that.... but with so much $ in the secondary and now even more on the DL and the OL(Brick/Mangold) where do we find the money to keep the younger guys that are coming up?

MacC needs to nail this draft and the 3 after that. We are very heavy with older players.

How much Cap Space do we put into our DL then....especially with Sheldon on the horizon?

I don't know the answer to that.... but with so much $ in the secondary and now even more on the DL and the OL(Brick/Mangold) where do we find the money to keep the younger guys that are coming up?

MacC needs to nail this draft and the 3 after that. We are very heavy with older players.

as far as the DL goes we got lucky with williams falling to us last year. It allows us to let a player like Wilkerson go. I like wilkerson, but we can't put that much money into defensive end when we also have richardson and williams. We need that cap space for positions we have needs at. We are completely stacked at def end. We are thin at linebacker. We also need to upgrade at oline, rb, tight end. We have to consider that marshall is not young so wr is something we have to look at. And obviously we need to find a real franchise qb sooner than later. Defensive end is the one place where we have zero worries....how the hell can we justify keeping 3?

I can't answer that but to say as much as you can. .  I made a post before that stated how our GM will have some hard decisions to make . I also stated that if it came down to it, we should keep the defensive line together even at the expense of the older Vets along the OL .  The Guys on the Jets defensive line are playing at a much higher level than the guys on the Jets offensive Line and are also much younger . I just can't see keeping players around that are getting worst while letting players go who are playing at a high level.

We need to start being pro active instead of continuing our reactionary ways. We who are the Jets always keep players 1 yr too long and release players just before they develop. We need to stop this crap and maybe we will finally field a winning program.

I can't answer that but to say as much as you can. .  I made a post before that stated how our GM will have some hard decisions to make . I also stated that if it came down to it, we should keep the defensive line together even at the expense of the older Vets along the OL .  The Guys on the Jets defensive line are playing at a much higher level than the guys on the Jets offensive Line and are also much younger . I just can't see keeping players around that are getting worst while letting players go who are playing at a high level.

We need to start being pro active instead of continuing our reactionary ways. We who are the Jets always keep players 1 yr too long and release players just before they develop. We need to stop this crap and maybe we will finally field a winning program

So you think the way to a winning program will be to put huge money into keeping a defensive end like wilkerson when we also have richardson and williams? That's a waste of resources. We already have very good ends even without wilkerson. We let snacks walk and we DO NOT have a real replacement at a very important 3-4 position.  

So you think the way to a winning program will be to put huge money into keeping a defensive end like wilkerson when we also have richardson and williams? That's a waste of resources. We already have very good ends even without wilkerson. We let snacks walk and wr DO NOT have a real replacement at a very important 3-4 position.  

No , you missed the point entirely.  If Wilkerson has to walk, so be it, but he's not leaving without getting me something in return. Wilkerson and Snacks and Williams are those young players who are playing at a high level and has displayed high character . Richardson while playing at a high level has displayed poor character, so why should I prepare to make him a big offer instead of giving that offer to someone who has earned it. 

I keep the DL intact even if it means cutting both starting  OTs  and restructuring Mangold's contract to a more team friendly deal while not insulting a quality Jet who's still playing at a high level . 

We don't want to pay Harrison 8 mil per to anchor our defense, but we have no problem having Brick carry a 14 mil cap hit while his play has decline significantly . 

Every structure needs a firm foundation and for our Defense, that's Damon Snacks Harrison .

For our Offense, presently that's Nick Mangold

For Our Special Teams that's Tanner Purdum .

Show me the player on our roster who you can say is an instant upgrade or even a competent replacement for these players and we can talk. Everyone else is a conversation worth having.

Archived