Why Ivory played so little in Buffalo

Ex-Rex

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He tells it like it is.  Calls people names, thinks he smarter than others 

Until you throw facts and logic his way.  

Then he just runs away. 

Run away my A$$.... "BUT HE WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY" What part of that do you not understand? In an one and done game just like you said, you play your BEST players and you live or die by them. You don't give him a break or you make some in game adjustments that make running the ball necessary. But just because you guys are willing to defend Todd Bowles like your f*cking him does not make his own words any less psychotic and crazy. He screwed the team and those in his own press conference clearly give that away.

Now you respons with the same old sh*t I've already heard a million times. HE WAS HURT. He was only about 30 or 40%. Yeah, exactly, meanwhile he had a 58 run in the 2nd quarter, then dingbat pulls him for the remainder of the game. And apparently I am not the only one wondering if  Todd Bowles is sane.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Even Chris Ivory was at a loss to explain why he was mostly a bystander in the Jets’ offensive game plan on Sunday.

On a frigid, blustery day at Ralph Wilson Stadium seemingly perfect for Ivory’s power-running style, the Jets mysteriously left their leading rusher chained to the sideline for much of an agonizing, 22-17 loss to the Bills that eliminated Gang Green from playoff contention.

Ivory didn’t leave the bench at all in the first quarter and ended up carrying just six times for 81 yards as Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey decided to ride the little-used Stevan Ridley instead with third-down ace Bilal Powell inactive due to an ankle injury.

Ivory had been limited in practice all week by a knee injury, but he insisted afterward it wasn’t bad enough to keep him on the bench.

“I was still a little shaky, but I’m a strong man,” Ivory told The Post as he stood in the funeral-like Jets locker room. “I know how to play with pain. I was in a little pain, but I could have played more.”

The Jets ended up rushing for 122 yards on 17 carries (a 7.2-yard average), but 58 of those yards came in the second quarter on Ivory’s first rush of the game. That big play to the Buffalo 22-yard line also went for naught when Randy Bullock ended the drive by missing a 40-yard field goal try.

Ivory went over 1,000 rushing yards in a season for the first time in his six-year career on that carry, but quickly disappeared again.

Ridley finished with just 29 yards on nine carries in by far his most extensive action of the season, while Ivory’s six attempts were his fewest all year.

“Curious” doesn’t begin to describe it, and the situation was made no clearer by coach Todd Bowles’ cryptic comments afterward.

“It was game-plan related,” Bowles said. “We tried to give him a break a little bit, too. He wasn’t 100 percent, but he was good enough to play. We could have got him more plays in there, but the game didn’t dictate that way.”

Ivory didn’t ask why he was made such a bit player — “You don’t ask that [during a game],” he said — and tried to remain diplomatic about it in the face of repeated questions.

“It was just the game plan that we had coming in,” Ivory said. “That’s just how it played out. We didn’t have Bilal this game, and I just took over that role.”

Ridley carried six times for 15 yards in the first quarter with Ivory on the sideline as the Jets punted on each of their first four possessions. Yet Ivory said he wasn’t upset about his role because “what Ridley was doing at first was working.”

“As long as we’re making positive plays out of what we’re doing, that’s fine,” Ivory said. “The carries at that point don’t even matter.”

Ivory added he thought Ridley deserved the bigger workload after getting the most practice time during the week.

“Ridley put in a lot of work,” Ivory said. “He had the reps and was able to see it. Being that he had the reps and was healthy, that was one of the reasons for what happened.”

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Run away my A$$.... "BUT HE WAS GOOD ENOUGH TO PLAY" What part of that do you not understand? In an one and done game just like you said, you play your BEST players and you live or die by them. You don't give him a break or you make some in game adjustments that make running the ball necessary. But just because you guys are willing to defend Todd Bowles like your f*cking him does not make his own words any less psychotic and crazy. He screwed the team and those in his own press conference clearly give that away.

Now you respons with the same old sh*t I've already heard a million times. HE WAS HURT. He was only about 30 or 40%. Yeah, exactly, meanwhile he had a 58 run in the 2nd quarter, then dingbat pulls him for the remainder of the game. And apparently I am not the only one wondering if  Todd Bowles is sane.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Even Chris Ivory was at a loss to explain why he was mostly a bystander in the Jets’ offensive game plan on Sunday.

On a frigid, blustery day at Ralph Wilson Stadium seemingly perfect for Ivory’s power-running style, the Jets mysteriously left their leading rusher chained to the sideline for much of an agonizing, 22-17 loss to the Bills that eliminated Gang Green from playoff contention.

Ivory didn’t leave the bench at all in the first quarter and ended up carrying just six times for 81 yards as Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey decided to ride the little-used Stevan Ridley instead with third-down ace Bilal Powell inactive due to an ankle injury.

Ivory had been limited in practice all week by a knee injury, but he insisted afterward it wasn’t bad enough to keep him on the bench.

“I was still a little shaky, but I’m a strong man,” Ivory told The Post as he stood in the funeral-like Jets locker room. “I know how to play with pain. I was in a little pain, but I could have played more.”

The Jets ended up rushing for 122 yards on 17 carries (a 7.2-yard average), but 58 of those yards came in the second quarter on Ivory’s first rush of the game. That big play to the Buffalo 22-yard line also went for naught when Randy Bullock ended the drive by missing a 40-yard field goal try.

Ivory went over 1,000 rushing yards in a season for the first time in his six-year career on that carry, but quickly disappeared again.

Ridley finished with just 29 yards on nine carries in by far his most extensive action of the season, while Ivory’s six attempts were his fewest all year.

“Curious” doesn’t begin to describe it, and the situation was made no clearer by coach Todd Bowles’ cryptic comments afterward.

“It was game-plan related,” Bowles said. “We tried to give him a break a little bit, too. He wasn’t 100 percent, but he was good enough to play. We could have got him more plays in there, but the game didn’t dictate that way.”

Ivory didn’t ask why he was made such a bit player — “You don’t ask that [during a game],” he said — and tried to remain diplomatic about it in the face of repeated questions.

“It was just the game plan that we had coming in,” Ivory said. “That’s just how it played out. We didn’t have Bilal this game, and I just took over that role.”

Ridley carried six times for 15 yards in the first quarter with Ivory on the sideline as the Jets punted on each of their first four possessions. Yet Ivory said he wasn’t upset about his role because “what Ridley was doing at first was working.”

“As long as we’re making positive plays out of what we’re doing, that’s fine,” Ivory said. “The carries at that point don’t even matter.”

Ivory added he thought Ridley deserved the bigger workload after getting the most practice time during the week.

“Ridley put in a lot of work,” Ivory said. “He had the reps and was able to see it. Being that he had the reps and was healthy, that was one of the reasons for what happened.”

The real point of all that was said continues to fly right over your head while you continue to scream that he was benched.  And no matter how many tell you youre missing the point you continue to argue.

Ivory was injured.  Everything written says he was injured.  You completely miss it and will continue to argue.  Its what you do

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The real point of all that was said continues to fly right over your head while you continue to scream that he was benched.  And no matter how many tell you youre missing the point you continue to argue.

Ivory was injured.  Everything written says he was injured.  You completely miss it and will continue to argue.  Its what you do

Yeah, obviously I am missing the point. Meanwhile, what you're speculating is exactly that... SPECULATION. You THINK you know why he was underutilized. And injury (it is mentioned) is the most obvious excuse to use. So you go with it.

Meanwhile, CONSPICUOUSLY absent from Todd Bowles own press conference was him merely telling the truth? I mean what did he have to lose? The Jets season was over anyway? If Chris Ivory being injured was as bad as YOU claim it was, then why didn't Todd Bowles just say, he got injured in the game and we had to bench him? We simply could not use him any more.

The answer is he didn't say that because that ISN'T what happened. What actually happened is that Todd Bowles planned on using Stevan Ridley and resting Chris Ivory. He was doing that because he was over arrogant and assuming the Jets would win. Just like just about every other person watching football. He wanted Chris Ivory rested for the playoffs. He was stubborn and unwilling to change the game plan so he could better utilize the running game. Do you see Chris Ivory saying, no, I couldn't go I was injured? NO. Instead, he was as dumbfounded as every other f*cking person on this planet as to why he wasn't used more.

So it begs the question... WHY didn't he change the game plan? Make some in game adjustments to better utilize the very f*cking bread and butter of this team?! The fact is, he f*cked up. Just like Rex Ryan did a few times here when he was the HC. And you're unwilling to admit ANY fault on the part of the HC because you don't want to think that the current HC is not any better than the coach Woody just fired.

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

Yeah, obviously I am missing the point. Meanwhile, what you're speculating is exactly that... SPECULATION. You THINK you know why he was underutilized. And injury (it is mentioned) is the most obvious excuse to use. So you go with it.

Meanwhile, CONSPICUOUSLY absent from Todd Bowles own press conference was him merely telling the truth? I mean what did he have to lose? The Jets season was over anyway? If Chris Ivory being injured was as bad as YOU claim it was, then why didn't Todd Bowles just say, he got injured in the game and we had to bench him? We simply could not use him any more.

The answer is he didn't say that because that ISN'T what happened. What actually happened is that Todd Bowles planned on using Stevan Ridley and resting Chris Ivory. He was doing that because he was over arrogant and assuming the Jets would win. Just like just about every other person watching football. He wanted Chris Ivory rested for the playoffs. He was stubborn and unwilling to change the game plan so he could better utilize the running game. Do you see Chris Ivory saying, no, I couldn't go I was injured? NO. Instead, he was as dumbfounded as every other f*cking person on this planet as to why he wasn't used more.

So it begs the question... WHY didn't he change the game plan? Make some in game adjustments to better utilize the very f*cking bread and butter of this team?! The fact is, he f*cked up. Just like Rex Ryan did a few times here when he was the HC. And you're unwilling to admit ANY fault on the part of the HC because you don't want to think that the current HC is not any better than the coach Woody just fired.

I would rather be a disappointing team than a laughingstock. Rex made us a laughingstock. Bowles is already better because he is low key

Archived