NFL continues to rake in the money new Thursday night deal with NBC and CBS

faba

'Thursday Night Football' to air on both CBS and NBC

ShareNo Thanks Must Read?Thank YouYes     2

By JOSH DUBOW, AP
52 minutes ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — "Thursday Night Football" will air on both CBS and NBC next season.

The NFL has agreed to a two-year deal with the networks, the league announced Monday. CBS had broadcast games in partnership with NFL Network the past two seasons.

A person familiar with the contracts told The Associated Press the deals are worth $450 million for 10 games, five each on CBS and NBC. CBS paid $300 million for eight games in 2015.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the terms were not made public.

The new contracts for 2016 and '17 increase the number of games on traditional broadcast TV by two. They will again be simulcast on NFL Network.

NFL Network will still televise eight games exclusively, which will include late-season Saturday matchups and other to-be-determined games.

The league is also negotiating with digital companies for a separate streaming rights deal, which will be announced soon.

The NFL launched "Thursday Night Football" on cable channel NFL Network in 2006 with eight games, which grew to 13 by 2012. In 2014, the league partnered with CBS for a 16-game slate — half simulcast on CBS and NFL Network and half solely on NFL Network.

CBS will broadcast the first half of the season and NBC the second. Both networks will use their top broadcasting teams and contribute to the production of the NFL Network-only games.

I hate Thursday night Football.  It just throws the whole schedule preparation off.   plus they seem to get the crappiest games..

agreed, the quality of the football is just awful.  If they could find a way to even push it to Friday it would probably be much better.  Thursday is way too soon after Sunday.

agreed, the quality of the football is just awful.  If they could find a way to even push it to Friday it would probably be much better.  Thursday is way too soon after Sunday.

Wouldn't get the viewership on Fri.  Fri. and Sat. night are go out nights.  For most people Thursday is a stay home watch TV night.

They're not doing this to please the fans, just to squeeze a few more pennies out of them.  

I would prefer Friday or Saturday night because I'm married w 3 kids, so I don't do sh*t on most Friday or Saturday nights. 

I barely make it passed halftime on Monday and Thursday nights as it is, unless it's a great matchup or the jets. Sunday at 1:00 rocks! 

Wouldn't get the viewership on Fri.  Fri. and Sat. night are go out nights.  For most people Thursday is a stay home watch TV night.

They're not doing this to please the fans, just to squeeze a few more pennies out of them.  

They're also NCAA football nights.  Until the college season ends there is no way they put NFL football on tv.  

I would prefer Friday or Saturday night because I'm married w 3 kids, so I don't do sh*t on most Friday or Saturday nights. 

I barely make it passed halftime on Monday and Thursday nights as it is, unless it's a great matchup or the jets. Sunday at 1:00 rocks! 

^^!This guys gets it.  Nice Saturday @ 6 game be nice.  

That article talks about how 2 of the games will be the late season Saturday games. I hate hate hate that hey call that a TNF special. No, its not a special Thursday anything. It's called Saturday.

And yes, Friday is a terrible night in the TV world. 

I love TNF. There should be a game every night. Who needs 12-14 games on Sunday?

I hate TNF, and all night games. I have other things I like to do at night. As for 12-14 games on Sunday, I love it. With Sunday Ticket I can usually find at least one interesting game that is not a blowout. What interferes with the quality of Sunday Ticket is all the games they are putting on at night, which reduces the available choices. And even for those who don't have Sunday Ticket, the more games available on Sundays the better the chance that there will be a good non-Jet game to watch in addition to the Jet game.

I hate TNF, and all night games. I have other things I like to do at night. As for 12-14 games on Sunday, I love it. With Sunday Ticket I can usually find at least one interesting game that is not a blowout. What interferes with the quality of Sunday Ticket is all the games they are putting on at night, which reduces the available choices. And even for those who don't have Sunday Ticket, the more games available on Sundays the better the chance that there will be a good non-Jet game to watch in addition to the Jet game.

If you have other things to do then don't watch them; nobody is forcing you. Furthermore, how can you HATE a game you're not watching? :wacko::needstraightjacket:

All those night games you hate, they're games you never had before.  Before MNF you had Jets and Giants on in the NY market and another game or two.  That was it.  If you dont like the additional games you do other things.  You have to deal with a couple of night games for the Jets, not that big a deal

I'm not a fan of TNF.  Teams and players have less time to prepare, regardless if they try and do divisional opponents.  I also am more psyched  for Sunday football and MNF.

SNF>>>TNF>>>MNF

Think I'm missing football by Thursday so put it ahead of MNF

I like the idea of Thursday night football I mean who wouldn't love another night of NFL football every week?  But I do have to agree with everyone that the quality of the games are just awful.  I do really enjoy the end of the season Saturday night games though.

I like the idea of Thursday night football I mean who wouldn't love another night of NFL football every week?  But I do have to agree with everyone that the quality of the games are just awful.  I do really enjoy the end of the season Saturday night games though.

The majority of TNF games were divisional matchups. A few were duds but you can't please everyone.

2015 TNF:

WK 1   Pitt @ NE

WK 2   Den @ KC

WK 3   Wash @ NYG

WK 4   Balt @ Pitt 

WK 5   Indy @ Hou  

WK 6   Atl @ NO  

Wk 7   Sea @ SF  

WK 8   Mia @ NE  

WK 9   Cle @ Cin 

WK 10  Buf @ NYJ 

WK 11  Ten @ Jax  

WK 12  Thanksgiving; Phil @ Det;; Car @ Dal;; Chi @ GB  

WK 13  GB @ Det  

WK 14  Minn @ AZ  

WK 15  TB @ STL  

WK 16  SD @ Oak

The majority of TNF games were divisional matchups. A few were duds but you can't please everyone.

2015 TNF:

WK 1   Pitt @ NE

WK 2   Den @ KC

WK 3   Wash @ NYG

WK 4   Balt @ Pitt 

WK 5   Indy @ Hou  

WK 6   Atl @ NO  

Wk 7   Sea @ SF  

WK 8   Mia @ NE  

WK 9   Cle @ Cin 

WK 10  Buf @ NYJ 

WK 11  Ten @ Jax  

WK 12  Thanksgiving; Phil @ Det;; Car @ Dal;; Chi @ GB  

WK 13  GB @ Det  

WK 14  Minn @ AZ  

WK 15  TB @ STL  

WK 16  SD @ Oak

It's not about the matcchups, I know the NFL has tried to make the games more enticing by making them divisional games.  To me, it's more about the quality of the play on the field.  Both teams do not seem nearly as prepared and you tend to see simpler game plans and a lot more mistakes being made.

If you have other things to do then don't watch them; nobody is forcing you. Furthermore, how can you HATE a game you're not watching? :wacko::needstraightjacket:

I generally don't watch them, unless the Jets are in them. I hate them because 1) When the Jets play in them I do watch, 2) Their existance waters down what's available on Sunday afternoons.

All those night games you hate, they're games you never had before.  Before MNF you had Jets and Giants on in the NY market and another game or two.  That was it.  If you dont like the additional games you do other things.  You have to deal with a couple of night games for the Jets, not that big a deal

Well, the games are there because 32 teams play a certain number of games, regardless of the time of day they are played. But yes, they weren't previously telecast. But now that I live out of the NY broadcast area I need to get Sunday Ticket to see all the Jet games, and that allows me to watch any other game I want to watch. And all the night games water down the available Sunday games.

Well, the games are there because 32 teams play a certain number of games, regardless of the time of day they are played. But yes, they weren't previously telecast. But now that I live out of the NY broadcast area I need to get Sunday Ticket to see all the Jet games, and that allows me to watch any other game I want to watch. And all the night games water down the available Sunday games.

cone on, it's not a big deal to have the option of a Thursday night game.

I agree that the Thursday teams don't look as good. In an ideal would you'd play those games coming off a bye or something, but I guess that's logistically impossible. Not sure why we can't have 2 bye weeks for everyone. I think they used to, or did for one year or something in the 90s maybe. Am I way off on that?

If it was just one night game, that would not be so bad. But now it's Sunday, Monday, and Thursday nights, plus Saturdays at the end of the season. Intolerable, really, and getting worse.

Its been Sunday for a hell of a long time and its been Mondays for over 40 years.  Thought we were just talking about Thursday

Its been Sunday for a hell of a long time and its been Mondays for over 40 years.  Thought we were just talking about Thursday

I expanded the discussion to all night games by saying I hate them all. The creeping expansion of night games has indeed been building slowly for 40 years. And by this point it has gotten out of hand. I think the only thing that is preventing expansion to 7 nights a week is the negative impact it would have on Sunday Ticket. But as the league expands, I expect the number of night games to expand as well. The only thing that would stop it wold be if revenue were negatively impacted.

I expanded the discussion to all night games by saying I hate them all. The creeping expansion of night games has indeed been building slowly for 40 years. And by this point it has gotten out of hand. I think the only thing that is preventing expansion to 7 nights a week is the negative impact it would have on Sunday Ticket. But as the league expands, I expect the number of night games to expand as well. The only thing that would stop it wold be if revenue were negatively impacted.

I think they've used up all the nights that they can possibly air football. 

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I think they've used up all the nights that they can possibly air football. 

With the league at 32 teams, that is probably true. But once they get up to 40-48 teams, watch for the expansion of night games. Think of teams being in Mexico, Canada, England, Berlin, etc, etc. Disgusting, I know. But as long as the profit keeps going up, the league will just keep expanding. And will eventually increase the number of nights that games are on. Again, that is unless profits are negatively impacted...Fans be damned, as far as the league is concerned.

Archived